• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Wombat

Best LB we had in last 5 years and could score a goal. Also always in Wellingtons best 3 players.....but thats not too hard.

Insertnamehere

. so under the current system he would be coming off the bench ... with 5 minutes to go ... on the wing

. sadly he'd still probably score more goals than the current mob
IMO it's the tactics not the players and always has been. I actually think we have a squad to be competitive, more so had we been able to keep that Spanish fella.

Forum Phoenix

On point re the negativity here in Oz too. Plenty of it warranted, but also seems to be becoming cultural and ingrained like the worst of English football culture.

The article also left out the biggest failure of the FFA. It’s inability to expand/grow the league itself - which given its operating budget is pathetic. Should have incentivised financial models that lessened risk and encouraged investors and expansion. Should of gone regional and made it a truly Australian league and lobbied government for significant $ support to do it.

Lack of expansion in a ten team league when six make the finals is by far the primary reason imo for their stale withering product and the poor viewing numbers / attendance.

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

On point re the negativity here too. Plenty of it warranted with , but also seems to me like it’s becoming cultural and ingrained like the worst of English football culture.

The article also left out the biggest failure of the FFA. It’s inability to expand/grow the league itself - which given its operating budget is pathetic. Should have incentivised financial models that lessened risk and encouraged investors and expansion. Should of gone regional and made it a truly Australian league and llobbied government for significant $ support to do it.

Lack of expansion for a ten team league whet six make the finals is by far the primary reason imo for their stale withering product and the poor viewing numbers / attendance.
I agree re expansion. Given the clubs have to pay a licence fee, I'm gonna guess in the range of 15-20 mill. Lack of money seems like the biggest furfy going. HAL has to look to the MLS for expansion techniques. They ensure the owners are committed to spending on the licence fee plus that sum again in the first 5 years on facilities.
I think it's reasonable to expect owners here to spend up to 50 mill getting a sustainable club going. Money invested up front pays dividends for the whole league.
I dislike the idea of no salary cap but am happy with a soft cap in that there is a cap but as we do here there are exclusions for foreign marquees, local marquee juniors and current NT squad players.
It all boosts the appeal of the league.

Gratis

IMO it's the tactics not the players and always has been. I actually think we have a squad to be competitive, more so had we been able to keep that Spanish fella.
I agree.
We will never know how asdrubal would have gone in a different system but would have been nice to see

Forum Phoenix

He butchered plenty of opportunities and got more service than a number of other strikers imo.

We saw how he went with a 3 metre lead on a centre back and a one on one beckoning. We saw how he went trying to shoot from the top of the box. We saw how he went repeatedly failing to get on to the end of balls.

He was not quick enough to out run anyone, not strong enough to out muscle anyone, not skilful enough to skin anyone... clearly not a quality striker in my book,

scottmac

Suspended

This club has always had the problem of not having someone to put goals away except for the year mcbreen got 17. That's because we broke as f**k and strikers cost money. It's not enough to be the little team that could anymore cause like in the PL that team wins something once in 50yrs.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The spanish fella who couldn't even pass the ball or get past an opponent? Or fell over the ball in front of an open goal more times than he actually had an effective shot? We would have been better off if instead of buying him, that money went towards free game day churros!! Would probably have boosted our crowds more than he did!!!

This club has always had the problem of not having someone to put goals away except for the year mcbreen got 17. That's because we broke as f**k and strikers cost money. It's not enough to be the little team that could anymore cause like in the PL that team wins something once in 50yrs.
You forget that Simon won golden boot. Simon was a perfect example of the club's strategy - savvy recruitment and development of a youngster
We also had Mori, briefly.
But overall you're right - we're not historically a goalscoring machine
S1 equal 1st
S2 7th
s3 2nd
S4 3rd
S5 7th
S6 8th
S7 2nd
S8 equal 1st
S9 9th
S10 9th
S11 9th
S12 8th
S13 (current) - last

Overall - 6th (that's just on total, so comparing against the newer clubs. Only 1 foundation club is below us - Jets, although combining NZK + WP would still put them below us

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

The spanish fella who couldn't even pass the ball or get past an opponent? Or fell over the ball in front of an open goal more times than he actually had an effective shot? We would have been better off if instead of buying him, that money went towards free game day churros!! Would probably have boosted our crowds more than he did!!!

You forget that Simon won golden boot. Simon was a perfect example of the club's strategy - savvy recruitment and development of a youngster
We also had Mori, briefly.
But overall you're right - we're not historically a goalscoring machine
S1 equal 1st
S2 7th
s3 2nd
S4 3rd
S5 7th
S6 8th
S7 2nd
S8 equal 1st
S9 9th
S10 9th
S11 9th
S12 8th
S13 (current) - last

Overall - 6th (that's just on total, so comparing against the newer clubs. Only 1 foundation club is below us - Jets, although combining NZK + WP would still put them below us
Like I said IMO. Different tactics different outcomes.
Your opinion is your own. No need to shit all over mine without offering yours in return for me to shit all over.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Like I said IMO. Different tactics different outcomes.
Your opinion is your own. No need to shit all over mine without offering yours in return for me to shit all over.
I did offer my opinion. That he can't shoot, run or pass.

Tactics have nothiing to do with a player's individual skill, He was a complete spud.
If you receive a perfect ball in front of goal and either kick it to the keeper or fall over, that's got nothing to do with anybody else.

If you have players open, a defender right in front of you and you choose to run it yourself by running straight at the defender while making no attempt whasoever to evade them - that's got nothing to do with anybody else.

If you keep passing straight to the opposition instead of your open teammates, that's got nothing to do with anybody else.

I know that players perform differently in different teams and structures, but for some reason his INDIVIDUAL performance was well, well below HAL standard. You can't possibly attribute the basics of the game he constantly got right to the team around him.

Not only that, but he was also a diver. Up there with the worst in the league.
I, for one, am glad to no longer have that crap tainting the yellow and navy. Can't stand cheats.

Last edited:

Gratis

That said, by the time he started missing sitters and tripping over the ball he'd just come back from injury, wasn't coping with living here, wasn't settled in and the club as a whole had had a crappy run of luck. An unsettled player rarely flows well or plays well.
It's not an argument that he is a great player or the right player for us, but I'm not sure how that it went at the end there is a great representation of his overall footballing ability

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred