• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

nebakke

Shaun on the pod pretty well admitting that player(s) have signed for other clubs.
I think that's probably Izzo to Adelaide.

That was my takeaway yeah...

Mystery injury before we play them I wonder?

In light of how he was also saying that noone was really talking about it out of respect for the club etc... I'd be surprised if Izzo wasn't professional enough to do a good job against Adelaide even if he's signed with them... His problem seems to be with us - the fans - not with the club.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

He won't be hard to boo if he goes that's for sure :)
If he turns his back on the club then I think that will be a departure which will get the fans going when he comes to Gosford.

Although, having to find a new keeper would be a worry - you'd hate for next season, the first one with true hope for a while and with (hopefully) good recruitment to be having to deal with a 'developing' goalkeeper as the weak link.

Forum Phoenix

Both demanded a release and went for nothing.
Fitzgerald was one of Reddy's mates.

Did Fitzy really leave mid season though without an under the table understanding with City in place? Austin however qualifies as a young player in a team coming last head hunted by a big club. The fact we did a swap because the player wanted to go is immaterial really.

Not uncommon for carcasses to picked for what is perceived at least to be the most choice pieces of meat. Not that any of it matters.

If he turns his back on the club then I think that will be a departure which will get the fans going when he comes to Gosford.

Although, having to find a new keeper would be a worry - you'd hate for next season, the first one with true hope for a while and with (hopefully) good recruitment to be having to deal with a 'developing' goalkeeper as the weak link.

Izzo has been mostly great this year, but I don't think the keeper stakes are too grim. Easier to replace than a quality striker imo.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised nor worried to see Pearce rise. Has very looked very good from what I've seen.

I agree with I think it was FFC's assessment that Izzo is (even now) not mentally strong. Whereas Pearce looks fiery and more confident. I like him.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Thurbs' post was:

Nobody bought Fitzgerald or Austin. We didn't get a brass razoo for their signatures.

Fitzy ok, Austin I think they would have paid $ for "if" he'd wanted to stay and they had leverage, but regardless Pain has dollar value, players cost money, Austin did not go for free. But anyway thats not important, the point is clubs do buy young players from cellar dwellers, low hanging fruit, it just depends upon the quality of the player and the asking price.

nebakke

Thurbs' post was:

Nobody bought Fitzgerald or Austin. We didn't get a brass razoo for their signatures.

You don't think there'd've been an exchange of some sort of valuables for Austin at least, if it hadn't been prohibited in the league?
I'd suggest we'd probably have been less likely to 'just' let Fitzy go on a free if we could've gotten something at all for him and, in light of how quickly they picked him up, I'd say we could've probably gotten City to give us a token amount at least.

Indeed, look at most of the countries with promo/rele... The clubs that are about to be relegated tend to lose a number of their better players at the end of the season, in no small part due to them going somewhere that can throw a bit of money at them and keep them in the better tier.

Wombat

Did Fitzy really leave mid season though without an under the table understanding with City in place? Austin however qualifies as a young player in a team coming last head hunted by a big club. The fact we did a swap because the player wanted to go is immaterial really.

Not uncommon for carcasses to picked for what is perceived at least to be the most choice pieces of meat. Not that any of it matters.

Izzo has been mostly great this year, but I don't think the keeper stakes are too grim. Easier to replace than a quality striker imo.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised nor worried to see Pearce rise. Has very looked very good from what I've seen.

I agree with I think it was FFC's assessment that Izzo is (even now) not mentally strong. Whereas Pearce looks fiery and more confident. I like him.

Pearce is NO WHERE near HAL standard atm.

go you yellow

He won't be hard to boo if he goes that's for sure :)

Gee this frustrates me, as a development club, which we are, players are going to come and go, we could just say thank you and wish them well as they go on their way, i know that feels a little Colonel Nathan R Jessup. But rather than feel like they are not committed to the club - they are in fact doing exactly what was sold to them, come get developed, get in the shop window and sold on so the club can survive.

Now there have been some inter a league moves - which is also fine, players will want to move into bigger clubs. Cant begrudge any player who was disillusioned from the last few years wanting a change to further develop their skills or career.

Forum Phoenix

Not me, I wouldnt know Pearce if I fell over him.
Sorry, was attributing the "not mentally strong bit" re Izzo. Pearce was my own thoughts. Maybe the mentally strong bit was someone else too though, anyway whoever said it, I agree.

Ironically in all this, it seems to me like the anger and determination he has felt has had a very positive effect on his concentration.

That could be rattled a little now by his moving - we'll see. Unless maybe Ivan keeps his spot...

We all know we need additional quality players but have to say I'm a lot less fearful we'll sign poorly with Okon at the helm . Our table position greatly belies the work he had done with the leagues least expensive and youngest squad.

Last edited:

soccer mad

Im afraid loyalty means nothing these days It's all about the bottom line. It is all biusness. And thats where our club should be looking after its investments the players . Im at a point where I dont care who wants to leave or move on what is important is we profit from the decision the players and their agents decide whats best for thier future . If we make a profit then let them go allowing the club to re invest . Thats why we become imotional as a fan and feel empty handed. But seriously if you don't want to be a mariner player just go ,how many players who left looking for greener pastures to name a few remember Pedj , Austin struggling, Cacc and Fitz fringe players , Simon fringe , ect

Fishsdad

IBut seriously if you don't want to be a mariner player just go ,how many players who left looking for greener pastures to name a few remember Pedj , Austin struggling, Cacc and Fitz fringe players , Simon fringe , ect

Soccer mad, I agree with absolutely everything you say with one exception - Matty Simon. I understand from many sources, some of which are very close to the club, that Matt Simon really wanted to stay with the Mariners, and offered to take minimum wage to do so. It was the club that kicked him out.

I will always respect Matty Simon, and will never 'raz' him.

Coastalraider

There seems to be a consensus on here that Izzo would only leave because he is angry at the treatment he received last year.

People are forgetting he is just a young kid, and he may see the opportunity to move back to his home town and play for the team he grew up with as a good move?? If he gets a decent offer, plays first team football, and returns to his family and friends, it would be a very attractive offer, regardless of how he was treated last year.

And no, I'm not Mrs Izzo...

Big Al

There seems to be a consensus on here that Izzo would only leave because he is angry at the treatment he received last year.

People are forgetting he is just a young kid, and he may see the opportunity to move back to his home town and play for the team he grew up with as a good move?? If he gets a decent offer, plays first team football, and returns to his family and friends, it would be a very attractive offer, regardless of how he was treated last year.

And no, I'm not Mrs Izzo...
Rationale is really not acceptable;)

It's he'd be working at Coles if we didn't give him another go after last year, realistically no one would have picked him up after last year. Not even Adelaide

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred