• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 11 - 2015/2016

Gratis

I'm completely with you on this Dibo - P&R is simply logistically untenable for the foreseeable future and so should be dismissed until such time as it is. Which won't be for at least 10 years - and I'd suggest actually far longer than that unless the market amazingly and suddenly explodes into overdrive

pjennings

I think the question has to be what is our budget? These figures are guesses based on the HAL cap, HAL salary floor, HAL squad sizes and exceptions

I have heard that we are paying at 91% of the cap for our current squad. That is $2,366,000 plus $600,000 for LG and we are paying $2,966,000. However, are we paying the remaining 9% of the FFA grant $234,000 towards the issues below. If so our real spend is $3.2million for a squad that is a lot weaker than most, if not all, the other HAL teams.

This is the importance of clearing up the issues below in Rowdy's post.

Still paying players who have left the club IS the biggest problem regarding what's available in Ca$h to pay current players.
Earning a '100%' wage you've just negotiated from the Wanderer's as well as a '50%' of your former wage on top of that from CCM, which was negotiated to 'get rid of you' ends up being a 'nice little earner' for a player ........ X that by 2 !!! and it's to our (CCM) detriment.

Apply the same system from above to a player who was on probably the biggest deal at the club and who was just 'sitting at home on the couch' until just recently picking up a gig with an NSWNPL club, he too is now getting 100% of an NPL wage plus 50% of his CCM wage. That has him 'crowing' all the way to the bank.

An ex NYL Coach sitting in the stands at the derby on the weekend, again STILL getting paid a wage every month.

Then the worst of it, an ex-international who left at the end of 2013/14 season, now playing 2nd Division in his homeland & STILL being paid.

Caceres seems to have had his contract paid out by the City Football Group +we got a fee.

Fitzgerald however is a completely different kettle of fish, may just have a similar fishy smell to it too???
God and MC only know. :-|

BUT what I do know is the lesson I've taken from all of this, in that whenever I read that a player has been released by the Central Coast Mariners I now know that there's the possibility that, despite first appearances of seeing that player wearing another jersey for another team, underneath that jersey there COULD still be an 'umbilical cord' attached pumping him Y&B dollar'$. :cool:
If they can be cleared then MC's decision becomes:-

a) do I spend at the salary cap floor 90% of $2,600,000 - that is $2,340.000. I do not think this will be the case as we will simply go further backwards - less than our spend this year.

b) do I spend up to the cap that I get from the FFA grant of $2,600,000. This I believe is the minimum requirement but I think this will also mean that will go further backwards. Less than our spend this year.

c) do I do (b) plus take advantage of HAL squad size and loyalty rules i.e. $2,600,000 plus 3 youngsters outside the cap at $55,000 plus an loyalty bonus exemption of 40% of Josh's wage plus 5% of cap that we underspent this year can the underspend this . This would take the total spend to around $2,815,000. Less than our spend this year

d) do I fund either out of my pocket or from sponsors to the FFA grant plus a marquee to around our current spend of $3,200,000. This I believe is a possibility and would make a marked difference to our squad. Greater than our squad cost this year but equal to what I believe is our real spend this year.

e) a combination of (c) and (d), Total spend would be $3,415,000,

f) (e) plus 5% of the cap we 'banked' this year because of our underspend. Total spend would be $3,545,000

Other considerations.
  • The office block at the COE is about to start generating revenue.
  • A marquee will attract more sponsors, better crowds, better merchandise sales
  • A stronger squad will attract more sponsors, better crowds, better merchandise sales.
  • The current FFA grant is $2,600,000.
  • Given the people going and our underspend this year we have around $600,000 to spend to get to the cap and $966,000 to get to what we have spent on this year's squad.
I suspect that MC will pick option (b) but believe that (c) and (d) are possibilities and compare favourably with our spend this year. Options (e) and (f) are unlikely but in reality would only cost at most $345,000 above our real spend this year and would make us very competitive.

dibo

I think the $600k for Garcia probably shouldn't be factored in. It might work well commercially and we might have sold some more shirts and got some website hits, but I don't think it's worked on the park.

JoyfulPenguin

Robert Stambolziev starred for Sydney FC against Guangzhou and his contract runs out at the end of this season. Hasn't had much game time at Sydney this year and could be great cover for Fabio.

Rowdy

I think the question has to be what is our budget? These figures are guesses based on the HAL cap, HAL salary floor, HAL squad sizes and exceptions

I have heard that we are paying at 91% of the cap for our current squad. That is $2,366,000 plus $600,000 for LG and we are paying $2,966,000. However, are we paying the remaining 9% of the FFA grant $234,000 towards the issues below. If so our real spend is $3.2million for a squad that is a lot weaker than most, if not all, the other HAL teams.

This is the importance of clearing up the issues below in Rowdy's post.

If they can be cleared then MC's decision becomes:-

a) do I spend at the salary cap floor 90% of $2,600,000 - that is $2,340.000. I do not think this will be the case as we will simply go further backwards - less than our spend this year.

b) do I spend up to the cap that I get from the FFA grant of $2,600,000. This I believe is the minimum requirement but I think this will also mean that will go further backwards. Less than our spend this year.

c) do I do (b) plus take advantage of HAL squad size and loyalty rules i.e. $2,600,000 plus 3 youngsters outside the cap at $55,000 plus an loyalty bonus exemption of 40% of Josh's wage plus 5% of cap that we underspent this year can the underspend this . This would take the total spend to around $2,815,000. Less than our spend this year

d) do I fund either out of my pocket or from sponsors to the FFA grant plus a marquee to around our current spend of $3,200,000. This I believe is a possibility and would make a marked difference to our squad. Greater than our squad cost this year but equal to what I believe is our real spend this year.

e) a combination of (c) and (d), Total spend would be $3,415,000,

f) (e) plus 5% of the cap we 'banked' this year because of our underspend. Total spend would be $3,545,000

Other considerations.
  • The office block at the COE is about to start generating revenue.
  • A marquee will attract more sponsors, better crowds, better merchandise sales
  • A stronger squad will attract more sponsors, better crowds, better merchandise sales.
  • The current FFA grant is $2,600,000.
  • Given the people going and our underspend this year we have around $600,000 to spend to get to the cap and $966,000 to get to what we have spent on this year's squad.
I suspect that MC will pick option (b) but believe that (c) and (d) are possibilities and compare favourably with our spend this year. Options (e) and (f) are unlikely but in reality would only cost at most $345,000 above our real spend this year and would make us very competitive.

Litlle birdie told me that of the players that are available for selection right now (not including LG) to play week-in/week out for CCM - combined wages totals around $1.8million approx.

Bird said the rest of the cap is going elsewhere.

A $1.8 Million squad competing against the rest, that are well and truly above the minimum floor, explains a lot about how we struggle to compete in the league this season

How true and how accurate that figure is ??? is anyones guess, but same bird had earlier told me in the season that we were well below the minimum floor of the cap spend - at around 82/83% of the salary cap tops.

dibo

If that's the case, the squad is about 8-900k underweight. Little wonder we are ordinary; we actually look better than that. Add 2x $200k players up the spine to bit the floor and we look a lot better. Add another 2 to get near what the rest of the league spends and we are in business. We suddenly look pretty solid, but our squad fillers have had first team experience so our depth is worth more.

A lot of the players gone this year and last had deals expiring this year. That means that the chunks of the cap that are being chewed up this season should be freed up next year, right?

The money is being spent, just not on the park. If the value is shown on the park next year then we're in good shape to improve massively.

nebakke

Litlle birdie told me that of the players that are available for selection right now (not including LG) to play week-in/week out for CCM - combined wages totals around $1.8million approx.

Bird said the rest of the cap is going elsewhere.

A $1.8 Million squad competing against the rest, that are well and truly above the minimum floor, explains a lot about how we struggle to compete in the league this season

How true and how accurate that figure is ??? is anyones guess, but same bird had earlier told me in the season that we were well below the minimum floor of the cap spend - at around 82/83% of the salary cap tops.

Wasn't this the clear implication from the issues at the start of the season, especially?... I thought rumour had it that Bosnar and Reddy at least, had to be paid out and so, their salary went towards the cap still...
Caceres was sold so I think that's OK, but what Triffiro, doesn't he also still count towards the cap because he was released outside the window?

I don't mind admitting that I still don't quite understand which salaries count when, but at least that was sort of my understanding ;)

Rowdy

Wasn't this the clear implication from the issues at the start of the season, especially?... I thought rumour had it that Bosnar and Reddy at least, had to be paid out and so, their salary went towards the cap still...
Caceres was sold so I think that's OK, but what Triffiro, doesn't he also still count towards the cap because he was released outside the window?

I don't mind admitting that I still don't quite understand which salaries count when, but at least that was sort of my understanding ;)

Yes, yes, yes & yes.

Pirate Pete

I'm sure I read too that the FFA kicked in some money for Luis. I was under the impression that we weren't paying all the $60,ooo.
Can't find a link to back this up at the moment.

nebakke

I'm sure I read too that the FFA kicked in some money for Luis. I was under the impression that we weren't paying all the $60,ooo.
Can't find a link to back this up at the moment.

I think that was that thing where Charlesworth went to them and tried ot convince them to kick some cash in but - if my recollection from the podcast is right, I think it ended up being largely between him and Masterfoods.... Because I think he talked a bit about how the largest limitation on the marquee signings, is the sheer cost and, if the club can't generate more interest from the sponsors, it might still be a difficult proposal too do more often as there's a limit to how much we can rely on Masterfoods to throw at us and there's a limit to how deep his pockets are - I extrapolate on the last ones, but that was my take away at least ;)
There was a bit about Westfields Tuggerah literally throwing in $1000 - which to me sounded almost worse than them not putting in anything at all - and Hyundai obviously putting a car forward.

Considering he's the only marquee in the league, in the sense that the term is meant, I'd have thought it'd be of interest to the FFA to help a bit, financially, but who knows?

Paolo

Considering he's the only marquee in the league, in the sense that the term is meant, I'd have thought it'd be of interest to the FFA to help a bit, financially, but who knows?
Unless ive missed it, the clearest indicatiom that the FFA hasnt chipped in is that he isnt doing any generic league wide media work. That is what FFA gets in return for any subsidising of marquee wages.

Coach

There has been a lot of criticism of our retention this season for various reasons but thankfully we got rid of Anderson, his performances in the ACL and against City were clearly substandard. What I love is when he makes a mistake that leads to a goal he starts criticising everybody around him. Give me Posc, Rose, Ashcroft and Uskok over him. I also love the fact the big head wears shorts and shirt 2 sizes smaller!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred