• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

bikinigirl

A great example of correct overseas scouting is Ninkovic. Serb international, great career at Dynamo Kyiv, comes over here and dominates. He's not as good now as when he first got here, but at the end of his deal, will have spent 6 years at the bling.

. I don't follow other teams closely (or at all actually) including the Southern Mariners ... but that is not the way Staj tells it. He says Ninko was pretty ordinary the first year and at any other club probably would have been gone after the first season

FFC Mariner

My people in Newcastle tell me that the scum are looking at at least 1 of our youth players. Be interesting to see if they email us this time?

Big Al

Lets see how Milan goes over the summer. Certainly has potential to labour on a hot summer day, Being a bigger body

But his shooting power and accuracy along with his cross field balls are exceptional

Haven’t seen many in this league ever strike a ball as cleanly from distance.

Eddie bosnar had a rocket but not much control of it. Milan has both

turbo

. i think the scenarios are quite similar:
  • niggling, perhaps persistent injuries rather than the implied 'injury prone'
  • older ... though not exactly old
  • relatively expensive ... in Mariners dollars
  • talent, fan favourite - puts upward pressure on contract negotiations ... not the Mariners way, is it
. maybe it is expectation management, maybe it is a negotiation tactic ... either way, it's not endearing to the fanbase

All reasonable points. The other that I think might be overlooked is if he’s caught attention in his time here and we need to spend a lot more to keep him. I could see a situation where they might not be prepared to gamble on a big $ contract if they’re concerned he’ll slow down or be more injury prone in 18 months.

Edit: but then again I thought someone would pick Jem up if we didn’t so what do I know.

pjennings

. I don't follow other teams closely (or at all actually) including the Southern Mariners ... but that is not the way Staj tells it. He says Ninko was pretty ordinary the first year and at any other club probably would have been gone after the first season

The stats back up Staj.

15/16 he played 25 games for 4 goals and 0 assists
16/17 he played 26 games for 9 games and 9 assists

bikinigirl

All reasonable points. The other that I think might be overlooked is if he’s caught attention in his time here and we need to spend a lot more to keep him. I could see a situation where they might not be prepared to gamble on a big $ contract if they’re concerned he’ll slow down or be more injury prone in 18 months.

Edit: but then again I thought someone would pick Jem up if we didn’t so what do I know.

. yeah, that is what i meant by 'upward pressure on contract negotiations' ... sorry if that wasn't clear

. and having spoken to a couple of foreign players in recent years ... they seem a little surprised by the cost of living, particularly if they have a family. retention has been a massive problem in the Charlesworth era

style_cafe

Majok & Tonyik not included in game day squad, more speculation for the transfer window?...:popcorn:

Last edited:

Ironbark

Duric is too old and past it, and the fans don't like him - definitely let him go to a rival for a steal where he can be our repeated downfall

Forum Phoenix

to be fair the Hiariej uproar was a dozen blokes on a forum....

But oh the roar we made.

Seriously though. The club needs to understand, and I’m guessing this goes for many of us, that this about more than just keeping a quality player. (And the below applies to some others also).

Kids in particular, but all team fans need heroes. And when we have so many new faces year to year and then combined with the underperforming and low resources etc its so much harder for people to feel that passionate tribal connection that you want from any good fan base. Pretty hard to generate water cooler talk about a swathe of new average players who haven’t really done anything yet. You have to be able to generate excitement and enthusiasm that travels beyond Bolt style hype, And people buy based on emotion.

The Entertainment dollar is a highly competitive space and to rebuild the club and grow our fan base we desperately need consistent faces and some fan favourites to rally around and be enthused by between games and in off season too.

Milan is quality on field and the little I’ve heard him speak he seems an exemplary professional too.

No doubt other clubs are already making hard plays for him. We need to win this one imo. Show our fans that we can keep our talent and have a commitment to not just the future of developing players but also in keeping the visa signings we actually get right.

And there’s the “visa players need time to adjust” theory. If that’s true, then why would we want to go back to square one with another player next season?

No, put a 3 year deal in front of him and give him and his family the certainty to make a deal with us too hard to refuse. My reasoning is at his age most clubs may be able to outbid us in the short term but they will only be willing to offer him a 2 year deal. But if you can’t tell he’s easily got what it takes to play in the A league until he’s 35, then imo you don’t deserve a player of his quality.

shipwreck

Duric got a standing ovation and he is one of the few players we have had over the last few years that other teams and commentators are genuinely envious of.

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred