• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

shipwreck

Called it a few weeks ago, if it was gonna happen it needed to happen by now. They have made several allusions to the right personality and right fit, which sounds like excuses.

Wombat

Depends. If it’s the lying deceitful Mariners of old we are no hope. I’m told they are working hard to get a decent 9.
I do trust Staj and the new boardmember so I have hope.

Michael

Yeah look I trust that they are trying quite hard.
I’m sure they’ve been close a couple times too. And I trust they really are being super particular about it. I mean, look at the foreign signings so far... Ziggy is a brilliant fit personality wise, I was expecting slightly higher quality but still a good player and will be great this year.
Kim gets along with all the boys so well despite the language, huge quality and a super positive person. Same with duric.
So I trust the process. Sucks it hasn’t happened yet because all of us here are desperate for it.

midfielder

Referees are a crucial part of every match. They arbitrate on field play as they see it through FIFA laws of the game. They are judged by other referees on their performance.

Referees also at professional levels hold meeting, and communicate with each other.

The last two years even 10 / 90 calls went against us, to get a 50 / 50 call in our favour I can’t recall over recent history.

The last time was when Okon was in charge.

So many penalties against us when similar often worst play, at the other end not even given as a foul.

There must be a reason for this, it can’t be only big team over little team bias which we blame a lot.

Matty’s combative and in your face battles with referees is a matter of record.

Having Matty as captain, has led IMO to referees seeing us in a totally different light, if we had a less combative captain, I honestly believe referees would treat us differently.

My guess is the referees meeting goes something like this. That Simon character is out of control and shows little respect and lies and complains about everything and he dives. If we don’t jump on Simon and the Mariners the game could get out of control. Privately I think off the record they would say to each other the game will be better off when players like Matty are no more.

IMO Kim who was captain of a K-League team should be team captain. Further I believe having Matty as captain hurts us with referees.

turbo

There must be a reason for this, it can’t be only big team over little team bias which we blame a lot.
We had plenty of mariners moments before we got Matty back but he absolutely isn’t helping our case. His reputation preceded him well before he decided to call one of them a dog. As you say they all talk and none of them are going to give him a sympathetic ear after that. Allowing him to keep the armband was a mistake then and one that we’ve been repeating so far. IMO it’s got to be Ziggy or GG, language barrier might be too much of an issue for Kim plus he’s likely hear for just the 1 year.

Coastalraider

We had plenty of mariners moments before we got Matty back but he absolutely isn’t helping our case. His reputation preceded him well before he decided to call one of them a dog. As you say they all talk and none of them are going to give him a sympathetic ear after that. Allowing him to keep the armband was a mistake then and one that we’ve been repeating so far. IMO it’s got to be Ziggy or GG, language barrier might be too much of an issue for Kim plus he’s likely hear for just the 1 year.

Interesting that Tommy Oar got the armband last night.

turbo

Interesting that Tommy Oar got the armband last night.
I could easily live with Oar as captain. Having a hard time remembering his interrupted previous season (plus I was rooting for Pain to hold his starting spot so that might have biased me) but what we’ve seen so far has been all heart without the aggro Simon plays with. Looks like a player that’s easy to get behind.

Michael

Matty essentially cost us our biggest game in the last 5 years. Captains don’t do that.
I personally believe we’ve turned a corner in terms of quality of play etc. but winning lastnight would’ve proved to the football community that we really have. And our glorious on field leader f**ked it up.
Don’t blame Staj for not making subs, right or wrong. He was trusting the boys to get the job done. He was trusting none of them to get sent off. Don’t blame the ref and there’s no conspiracy here.
Tommy has a captains personality, you could hear him through the sideline mic’s and his attitude is perfect. Ziggy is the other main option for his personality, not sure about GG but I do rate him.

Who knows it could be a huge blessing in that it can make Staj realise how much more desperate we are for a good visa striker.
Matty won’t change, he’ll still get another stupid red and we’ll all come here 50% burning him and 50% saying ref bias etc until he finally ends his pro days.

Coastalraider

Good article, but misses the point around the actual effectiveness of his play. He is not scoring regular goals, and doesn't suit the fast pace link play style that we are now playing.

I love everything he has done for this club, and cant fault his intention. But he is costing us games, giving away yellows, and disadvantaging us in the eyes of the referees. If he was costing yellow and reds and scoring goals, maybe you could forgive. But right now, the only positive I can see is that he shows his passion for the club in interviews.

I had a moment at the start of the game on Wednesday - when the team were in the huddle prior to kick off and Matty was giving the inspirational speech - I thought - most of the lads in this huddle play better than you. How effective is this speech going to be knowing that you will be slowing up all of our fast play, and are unlikely to covert any chance that isn't a penalty kick?

Michael

Good article, but misses the point around the actual effectiveness of his play. He is not scoring regular goals, and doesn't suit the fast pace link play style that we are now playing.

I love everything he has done for this club, and cant fault his intention. But he is costing us games, giving away yellows, and disadvantaging us in the eyes of the referees. If he was costing yellow and reds and scoring goals, maybe you could forgive. But right now, the only positive I can see is that he shows his passion for the club in interviews.

I had a moment at the start of the game on Wednesday - when the team were in the huddle prior to kick off and Matty was giving the inspirational speech - I thought - most of the lads in this huddle play better than you. How effective is this speech going to be knowing that you will be slowing up all of our fast play, and are unlikely to covert any chance that isn't a penalty kick?

Totally agree.
The most ironic part of Wednesday was he was actually in good enough touch with the ball, for the first time this pre season from what I’ve seen, there was about 4-5 times he linked quite well with our red hot midfield and Murray. I was blown away, thought he might be able to actually contribute. Then he put himself back in the dog house and it’s sealed shut for me.
And you know what else absolutely grinds my gears with the bloke, on the field, he will never f**king run to the near post when someone gets in behind and the best ball to play is the low fast near post one. But he will ALWAYS and I mean f**king ALWAYS drift to the back post ball will be cut out and he’ll have his f**king sook because he isn’t comfortable making a different movement.

turbo

He is not scoring regular goals, and doesn't suit the fast pace link play style that we are now playing
This. He got 3 or 4 goals from open play last season. I think it was 3, penalties made his figures look somewhat passable but I refuse to accept no one else on the team is capable of dealing with those so it’s not like they are goals we couldn’t have scored.
I actually think him playing for penalties as he do often does is why he didn’t get the penalty awarded against Adelaide. My take at the ground was he should have taken the shot anyway and could have scored, instead he went down.

If he was costing yellow and reds and scoring goals, maybe you could forgive.

A Berisha or ODonnovan style hot head that still scores a bunch (well not so much in their most recent seasons) can be tolerated, even loved if they’re producing enough to overshadow their antics. One that isn’t scoring is a liability. Matty is our all time highest scorer but I have to wonder where he stands in the yellow and red card count too.

Edit: Hutchinson leads our all time yellow count by a long way. Simon is equal first on double yellows (2)

Last edited:

Coastalraider

This. He got 3 or 4 goals from open play last season. I think it was 3, penalties made his figures look somewhat passable but I refuse to accept no one else on the team is capable of dealing with those so it’s not like they are goals we couldn’t have scored.
I actually think him playing for penalties as he do often does is why he didn’t get the penalty awarded against Adelaide. My take at the ground was he should have taken the shot anyway and could have scored, instead he went down.

A Berisha or ODonnovan style hot head that still scores a bunch (well not so much in their most recent seasons) can be tolerated, even loved if they’re producing enough to overshadow their antics. One that isn’t scoring is a liability. Matty is our all time highest scorer but I have to wonder where he stands in the yellow and red card count too.

Edit: Hutchinson leads our all time yellow count by a long way. Simon is equal first on double yellows (2)

Simon was 7 yellows for 7 goals last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred