• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Forum Phoenix

I don’t think what you’re expecting is too different from what I or others are suggesting Matty will have issues keeping up with. When those combinations or skinning a player opens up a gap we need to be able to press our advantage rather than holding it up. It’s not so much about being a speedster but having their instincts being to go forward to shoot or set someone up and doing it for at least 70 minutes per game. The kind of hold up play we saw last year will dull what Oar and Silvera have to offer.

I don’t say any of this to put him down or be rude. I’m trying to be objective based on what we’ve seen offered last season and this preseason hasn’t shown any different IMO.

Ok nice, thanks for the clarification Turbo, I agree. I think we need a striker with a better turn of pace and or the quality to quickly turn a player and shoot from anywhere.

Muzz takes up good positions imo. Matty is strong, committed and can hold up the ball well, but neither imo have the above attributes and from what I’ve seen that’s the kind of foil our current lineup needs. But as always like to be proven wrong.

Forum Phoenix

Muzz definitely works better in a front 2. I've wanted to suggest it for a while but there's no structure I can think of that I believe Staj, or even most modern coaches, would realistically go for atm

I agree. Because his positioning and runs are good. So if he gets a knockdown or pass when he’s close to the 18 yard box he has a decent chance of doing the job. But I just don’t see the attributes of him being able to play lone striker. And I don’t think we can afford to play two upfront either, or we’ll lose the midfield battle.

Rowdy

We need a Striker who demonstrates the abillity of consistently scoring from outside of the 18 yard box !
- leg strength power + precision

Find someone who can do that & they eventually draw defenders from afar & wide across the A-League Kingdom
..... leaving holes for others to exploit with passing, dribbling & crosses in behind, all of which suits what we currently have.

Fixed.

pjennings

Muzz definitely works better in a front 2. I've wanted to suggest it for a while but there's no structure I can think of that I believe Staj, or even most modern coaches, would realistically go for atm

Try this one against the Rich Mariners on Wednesday. I've moved GG to RB since he can add a bit of pace that Ziggy doesn't seem to have.

4-1-4-1 in defence with Murray, Silvera and Oar defending from the front when we lose the ball

-----------------------Birra-------------------

GG----------Gordon------------Fox-----------Clisby

---------------------Kim-------------------------

Murray-------Duric-----------DDS----------Oar

--------------------Silvera-----------------------

In attack I think we could play 4-3-3 come 4-4-2 narrow diamond. Murray and Oar while nominally RW and LW could cut in through the channels and allow GG and Clisby to overlap and Silvera would operate as a false 9 that is not afraid to take a shot himself.

-----------------------Birra-------------------

GG----------Gordon------------Fox-----------Clisby

---------------------Kim-------------------------

----------Duric------------------DDS---------------

--------------------Silvera-----------------------

----------Murray------------------Oar-----------

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I still think Muzz should be given a adequate shot, which he hasnt got up to this point, I mean they got him on the strength of his golden boot run with APIA and then when he gets here , they have him on the planks , and if he gets a run, while Simons on the park , Just like Morrow said on the most recent poddie, and just like they did with Buhagiar, they keep sticking him on the wing....I still cant get my head around that !

turbo

I still cant get my head around that !
It’s the ‘safe’ choice. Play the senior player instead of taking a risk even if the senior player is underperforming. We see it all the time, when a senior player isn’t firing it’s just a rough patch but when a junior player has a bad couple of games they end up on the bench or worse and we don’t see them again for a while or in the same capacity.

Coastalraider

It’s also a problem with the larger structure of the game.

Compare it to the NRL with a great support system - if a young player has a senior player in front of him, he plays a league down and forces his way in on form.

In the A-League, you don’t have the option of proving yourself with gametime - so the jump is much bigger.

Big Al

Muzza must adapt or risk falling away which would be a real shame.

Sivera looks to have Staj’s heart already which is great but he is now going to own the right wing position. Oar is owning the left so it’s a straight fight to be lone Striker with Matt and if we get another Striker Muzz will be fighting to make the bench.

I thought he had a good connection with one his teammates at Apia and they combined for alot of the goals but I thought that was a winger slash #10 in the sivera Oar mould.

Big Al

If we go a ten whose going to score off his service unless he is a scorer as well.

But if we go Striker the 5 or 6 @Rowdy mentioned aren’t top quality assist men either.

I’d prefer a striker and if we can’t get one a proper legit CB. We are average at the back imo

Tevor

Can not help but think this may now be a January project, if something was in the pipeline it would have been hinted at the Palooza. Maybe when we score the least amount of goals by the end of December something will happen. I hope the defence is up to it as we will be lucky to have more than 1 goal in us against HAL opposition.

turbo

if something was in the pipeline it would have been hinted at the Palooza
The club wouldnt be playing fast and loose with something like that. They'll want to keep it under wraps until its a totally done deal. Not only is it an FFA cup distraction but the reaction will definitely be "Where was the striker you 100% guaranteed and swore on your children about" if Shaun just says he's looking for a visa forward.

But with the rumour there will be an extra visa slot in January they may recruit another position now if they can't find a suitable player. Can't see that being a CB with the amount of them we've collected now.

Not a visa player but I wonder how Troisi would fare stuck up front in the 9 role. Bay 16 and Bribane water would see a record number of shots in their area but he's unattached and seems no one is prepared to pay his price so maybe he's getting a reality check there.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

The club wouldnt be playing fast and loose with something like that. They'll want to keep it under wraps until its a totally done deal. Not only is it an FFA cup distraction but the reaction will definitely be "Where was the striker you 100% guaranteed and swore on your children about" if Shaun just says he's looking for a visa forward.

But with the rumour there will be an extra visa slot in January they may recruit another position now if they can't find a suitable player. Can't see that being a CB with the amount of them we've collected now.

Not a visa player but I wonder how Troisi would fare stuck up front in the 9 role. Bay 16 and Bribane water would see a record number of shots in their area but he's unattached and seems no one is prepared to pay his price so maybe he's getting a reality check there.
The same Troisi who insulted us last season?

Tevor

My point is it is dead quiet on any new signing so I think we are done for now. I don’t rate Troisi, not a team player and that probably shows why he is where he is at the moment. I’m prepared for games where Captain Striker will not even have a shot let alone miss a sitter. Will be tough to watch.

Rowdy

Mariners shedding the ‘victim mentality’, says Stajcic:

Alen Stajcic believes he may have found the antidote to the “victim mentality” and “losing mindset” which has dogged Central Coast Mariners for the past five years.

After the stigma of successive wooden spoons, the vital signs have jolted back to life since the arrival of the former Matildas mentor and only holders Adelaide United stand in their way of an FFA Cup final appearance when the pair meet in Gosford next Wednesday night.

The resurrection of Stajcic’s own career after his controversial Matildas exit eight months ago is paralleling the rebirth of the Mariners.

But with an A-League ball yet to be kicked in anger, Stajcic isn’t letting an FFA Cup run mask the magnitude of the task he’s taken on.

“We’re looking to progress week by week and aren’t getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we’ve achieved anything approaching greatness just yet,” he said.

“It’s about building belief and confidence.

"When a club has been losing for the better part of five years it’s a matter of changing that whole mindset, from the front office to the players.

“In any sporting team that hasn’t been winning for a while there’s maybe a bit of the victim mentality, blaming other people and maybe also a lack of accountability and responsibility.

“It’s too easy to fall into that way of thinking but all those things seep in at some point.

“On top of that there’s probably been a lack of confidence from players in their own ability and that of the team.

“As coaching staff rebuilding that has been a starting point for us.”

Within the context of the finite resources available to him, Stajcic contends he’s received sufficient backing from owner Mike Charlesworth to fuel a Mariners revival.

“When I first took on the job there was a lot of openness and transparency about what we can and can’t do,” he explained.

“I took on the role under those conditions and everybody has been very supportive from the CEO to the board.

“We know other clubs have more resources but we have to make sure we are smart and efficient and make the best use of everything we’ve got.

“At the moment we’re putting in place things that don’t cost money like effort, time and a sense of accountability, belief and confidence.

“All the things important in building the foundations of a successful and sustainable team don’t necessarily cost much.”

Stajcic is working to bring the best out of players like Danny De Silva, Ruon Tongyik, Sammy Silvera and former Socceroo Tommy Oar, all of whom have yet to realize their full potential.

The club are also on the market for one more addition - most likely a striker - before they begin their season at Western Sydney Wanderers' gleaming new Bankwest Stadium home on October 12.

“We want the right player with the right characteristics to come into our team,” he said. “We have a really good culture at the moment.

"There’s a lot of hunger and determination to succeed. I think we’re starting to see a little bit of that chemistry out on the pitch.

“We’re not reading too much into pre-results or even our FFA Cup results.

“I feel the competition will be a lot tighter this year than last and the difference between the top and the bottom has narrowed.

“We have to get to a position where we believe we’re a genuine chance of winning every match, rather than players running onto the pitch with a false bravado.”

With his Matildas dismissal still the subject of debate over its seemingly unjust nature, Stajcic is reveling his return to clubland.

“In a lot of respects, it’s a lot more enjoyable going to work day-to-day trying to fix football problems, rather than waiting two or three months (with the national team),” he said.

“It’s been rewarding and enjoyable and I don’t really think about what others think about me. Enough has been written and said.

“I’m just grateful for the opportunity the Mariners have given me.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred