• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

turbo

Great job locking him in on a long term deal before anyone can get in his ear. Aside from being a great prospect he's also the kind of player that might attract a transfer fee for us.

pinklady

WOOHOO!!!
https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/...JtOE3HC4XjlNlrcUB-W8Xpnvg-MsbVKzoYtdme1S-AsCE

Central Coast Mariners starlet Sam Silvera has been rewarded for his strong pre-season and FFA Cup form with a Hyundai A-League contract that will see him with the club until May 2022.

The 18-year old, who was on a scholarship deal, caught the eye of fans during an impressive string of FFA Cup performances, including a goal against Brisbane Roar after he came off the bench at Dolphin Stadium in the Round of 16.

Central Coast Mariners

✔@CCMariners

We came so close but Sam Silvera's header struck the bar! #CCMFC #MagicofTheCup #CCMvADL
1f4f9.png
@FOXFOOTBALL

9:03 PM - Oct 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Central Coast Mariners's other Tweets

Speaking ahead of the Mariners blockbuster Hyundai A-League round one clash against the Western Sydney Wanderers, Silvera said it was a dream come true to get his first professional contract.

“It’s a very exciting time for me and really I’m just stoked for this to happen on the eve of the season,” Silvera said.

“I have really enjoyed pre-season and the FFA Cup with the team, it was great to get a few wins under our belt, so I’m very thankful for this opportunity and I’m looking forward to the season starting this weekend.”

“I’m really happy for both myself and my family, they have done a lot to help me to this point so it’s very exciting for them too.”

Head Coach Alen Stajcic said it was just reward for Silvera’s hard work on the training pitch and performance with the Mariners so far.

“Sam has shown excellent work ethic and a great attitude on and off the pitch since coming in, and this is a great step for him in his career,” Stajcic said.

“His performances have caught the eye of a lot of people, and to have him as part of the Mariners for the next few years is a very exciting prospect for our fans.”

After last week’s FFA Cup loss to Adelaide, the Mariners focus is firmly on Saturday’s clash with the Wanderers, before a massive F3 Derby against Newcastle the following weekend
Just another black mark against Stajic and further proof that he is struggling. Decisions like this detract from the good work he has done moulding the squad into something like a cohesive unit. Silvera has not even played an A League game. He ran out of legs in the first full match he has played at top level (admittedly so did Oar, De Silva and Duric), he has shown potential and Stajic consistently reminds us how good he is at training without him showing it on the pitch. In fact his performance against Adelaide was one of the two things Stajic said contributed to our loss - 1 not playing out from the back well and 2 our midfielders not linking well in the front third. No mention of simons send off and no mention of him not using a single sub. One of those subs named couldn't play anyway (Gallifuoco) as he was still injured and unable to kick with one foot. He refused to name Lews Miller on the bench and told him him there was no funds for any more scholarships. Miller was left out of the FFA Cup match day squad and offered another NYL deal on the same day. Two days later Miller informed Stajic he was going overseas to trial and Stajic said no we were going to offer you a scholarship and then flick passed it to Shaun to deal with. Miller still hasn't accepted and may still be off to trial OS. Meanwhile Josh Nisbet who was signed on a scholarship 18 months ago and promised a full A League contract this year is still on a scholarship despite more than proving himself at training, in the A League and in every game he has played. Stajic is proving himself to be tactically clueless and completely lacking in resourcefulness. No wonder we lost Hiariej, O'Neill and Karajcan - all of whom wanted to stay but did not want to play under Stajic. When we look at the players Stajic and Arrarte have brought in - Ziggy, Gallifuoco, Tongyik, Silvera, Majok, Da Silva, Stensness, Birrighitti and compare them to who we have lost - M Millar, Aspro, Hiariej, Karajcan, O'Neill, Paine, Hoole and Kennedy, the only places we are in front are Birraz over Kennedy and DDS over Hoole. We are still giving up soft goals in defence, we still have a captain who is a loose cannon and we are still lacking in fitness. I can only hope that we will improve because of the absolute train wreck we were last year, there is only one way to go.

turbo

No wonder we lost Hiariej, O'Neill and Karajcan - all of whom wanted to stay but did not want to play under Stajic. When we look at the players Stajic and Arrarte have brought in - Ziggy, Gallifuoco, Tongyik, Silvera, Majok, Da Silva, Stensness, Birrighitti and compare them to who we have lost - M Millar, Aspro, Hiariej, Karajcan, O'Neill, Paine, Hoole and Kennedy, the only places we are in front are Birraz over Kennedy and DDS over Hoole.

You make some interesting points but I have to question this bit. What did Hiariej, O'Neill and Karacan want to stay for if not Staj? The world class facilities? Supreme fitness and tactical skills seen under Mulvey? I don't buy it - they suffered through our worst season ever but Staj is the issue? Tom was already on the outer well before Staj came along, we had minimal chance of retaining Aiden being on loan and he indicated he wanted to go back to England before Fowler put on the charm and Brisbane supposedly outbid us, Jem I thought was worth retaining but is currently without a club from what I can see which is odd.

If we're mucking around our younger players that's a shame to hear but it doesnt mean that securing Silvera is a bad idea. Another Millar situation would reflect far worse on the club than losing some NYL players.

Michael

The club hasn’t been this proactive on a prospect in years, I love it.
IF he continues at his currency trajectory we’ll be looking at a decent transfer fee

Michael

Just another black mark against Stajic and further proof that he is struggling. Decisions like this detract from the good work he has done moulding the squad into something like a cohesive unit. Silvera has not even played an A League game. He ran out of legs in the first full match he has played at top level (admittedly so did Oar, De Silva and Duric), he has shown potential and Stajic consistently reminds us how good he is at training without him showing it on the pitch. In fact his performance against Adelaide was one of the two things Stajic said contributed to our loss - 1 not playing out from the back well and 2 our midfielders not linking well in the front third. No mention of simons send off and no mention of him not using a single sub. One of those subs named couldn't play anyway (Gallifuoco) as he was still injured and unable to kick with one foot. He refused to name Lews Miller on the bench and told him him there was no funds for any more scholarships. Miller was left out of the FFA Cup match day squad and offered another NYL deal on the same day. Two days later Miller informed Stajic he was going overseas to trial and Stajic said no we were going to offer you a scholarship and then flick passed it to Shaun to deal with. Miller still hasn't accepted and may still be off to trial OS. Meanwhile Josh Nisbet who was signed on a scholarship 18 months ago and promised a full A League contract this year is still on a scholarship despite more than proving himself at training, in the A League and in every game he has played. Stajic is proving himself to be tactically clueless and completely lacking in resourcefulness. No wonder we lost Hiariej, O'Neill and Karajcan - all of whom wanted to stay but did not want to play under Stajic. When we look at the players Stajic and Arrarte have brought in - Ziggy, Gallifuoco, Tongyik, Silvera, Majok, Da Silva, Stensness, Birrighitti and compare them to who we have lost - M Millar, Aspro, Hiariej, Karajcan, O'Neill, Paine, Hoole and Kennedy, the only places we are in front are Birraz over Kennedy and DDS over Hoole. We are still giving up soft goals in defence, we still have a captain who is a loose cannon and we are still lacking in fitness. I can only hope that we will improve because of the absolute train wreck we were last year, there is only one way to go.

You provide fantastic insight regularly, but it’s abit average to bag Staj for locking in silvera who’s been brilliant. Yes he wasn’t fantastic against Adelaide but he was definitely not bad and the reason the midfield didn’t connect consistently well with the front third is because matty was playing. Agree Tommy H should still be here and I’d take Jem back in a heart beat. That news about Lewis is abit average and atleast Nizzy will be here when the rest of the deadwood is cleared so hopefully he gets a full promotion at that point.

Elite

From everything I've seen this pre-season, Silvera is a really exciting young talent and a huge prospect going forward. Absolutely thrilled the club has been proactive and locked him in long term. Well done to everyone involved.

Michael

Silvera's signing was a must, very happy to see this.
Hope Nissy gets the same.

View attachment 1474

Exactly
No one is debating whether or not Nizzy deserves the same. Because of course his ability and potential warrants it.
Imagine the devastation and anger we’d all be feeling if come January the rumours of silvera leaving etc like with that snake Millar.
At the end of the day, silvera has caught the eye nationally in such a short space of time and in this day and age that’s all it takes for the articles to start going further than our shores. It’s a smart contract renewal. May have even put in a buy out clause worth some $$$.

Forum Phoenix

Thrilled with this. He’s a clear starting 11 player for us so he deserves his contract and his signing should not be conflated with lack of deals for other young players.

I’d really like to see Nisbet get a deal now too.

Miller has potential but I don’t think the club should feel rushed into it either.

priorpeter

You make some interesting points but I have to question this bit. What did Hiariej, O'Neill and Karacan want to stay for if not Staj? The world class facilities? Supreme fitness and tactical skills seen under Mulvey? I don't buy it - they suffered through our worst season ever but Staj is the issue? Tom was already on the outer well before Staj came along, we had minimal chance of retaining Aiden being on loan and he indicated he wanted to go back to England before Fowler put on the charm and Brisbane supposedly outbid us, Jem I thought was worth retaining but is currently without a club from what I can see which is odd.

If we're mucking around our younger players that's a shame to hear but it doesnt mean that securing Silvera is a bad idea. Another Millar situation would reflect far worse on the club than losing some NYL players.

The decision to let Tommy go was made long before Staj came in. Club never offered him a deal in spite of his wanting to stay. Club thought there were better value visa players available in that role.
O’Neill wanted a pay rise (as well as burnley wanting some coin for him).
Definitely not the case that we ‘lost them because of Staj’...

Michael

The decision to let Tommy go was made long before Staj came in. Club never offered him a deal in spite of his wanting to stay. Club thought there were better value visa players available in that role.
O’Neill wanted a pay rise (as well as burnley wanting some coin for him).
Definitely not the case that we ‘lost them because of Staj’...

The tommy one still hurts, so much

Josho Howe

I think locking down Silvera is a clear sign the club have learnt from the Millar situation last year and are locking down players who have showed good enough signs. I agree Nissy should get a contract ASAP.

Silvera is yet to play an A-League game so a 3 year deal is huge faith but l think he'll be good. Wonderful potential.

pinklady

I knew mine would be an unpopular post and I respect the opinions of everyone on here - after all we all have the same ambition at heart that is to see the Mariners succeed and continue to be a club that we can be proud of.
I guess my reasoning behind my way of thinking is I do not see Silvera as the massive talent that many do. I have watched him play for many years and he has always been a player with potential that goes missing when things get difficult. I agree that it is good that we have learnt from the Matt Millar situation in not locking down players early and to long term deals. However I don't rate him above either Lewis Miller or Josh Nisbet but he definitely is miles better than some of the triallists and youth players that have been given a chance - Marc Moric, John Roberts, Jerry Skotadis and Dylan Ruiz-Diaz.
Which brings me to another of Staj's stuff ups - the way he dealt with Brandon Lundy. Lundy trialled for a couple of weeks and played in the fairly low key match against North Shore Mariners. He was an absolute stand out albeit in a game that meant absolutely nothing against opponents who fielded a number of triallists themselves. I, and many others left the game thinking we had found ourselves a top class attacking right back. Staj didn't offer him a contract (which is the coach's decision in all cases) but he told Lundy he wanted him to stay on and train full time with the team without payment or contract just in case we needed to sign someone during the season. Lundy never came back for another session. If this is Staj's way of testing someones desire or eagerness to play then it is a very unprofessional way of doing it. If he honestly thought that Lundy would agree to it then that is just plain stupidity. I hope it was the first.

Rowdy

Brandon Lundy .... trialled for a couple of weeks and played in the fairly low key match against North Shore Mariners. He was an absolute stand out albeit in a game that meant absolutely nothing against opponents who fielded a number of triallists themselves. I, and many others left the game thinking we had found ourselves a top class attacking right back. Staj didn't offer him a contract (which is the coach's decision in all cases) but he told Lundy he wanted him to stay on and train full time with the team without payment or contract just in case we needed to sign someone during the season. Lundy never came back for another session. If this is Staj's way of testing someones desire or eagerness to play then it is a very unprofessional way of doing it. If he honestly thought that Lundy would agree to it then that is just plain stupidity. I hope it was the first.
Agree, thought he was worth a min.wage deal as well, especially as I dont see Ziggy played at RB being able to handle the pace of the A-League this coming season.
(see my Q to Staj in the Podcast thread).

I cant blame the kid for NOT wanting to stick around for a 'Jedinak-$0.00 opportunity'. He's already had a taste of how an A-League club is supposed to treat a player that they 'rate'
... by that I mean when the Jet's upgrading him from Youth on a x2 year deal to the First Team.

He's obviously earning a decent amount $$'s to have relocated to Victorian club - Avondale, with a few other of the former scum boys joining him.

However, a bigger potential loss fir CCM is the bonus fact that he played with Muzz for x2 seasons at Apia Leichardt prior to moving to Avondale & just prior to Muzz joining us, that potential 'already-understanding' could've been huge.

A 23 yo, 6 ft RB 'bombing on' & whipping in headers for Muzz is what we ALL WE'RE EXPECTING to see this season in Matty Millar.

I truly DOUBT that you'll see that from Ziggy Gordon this year, however ..

Screenshot_2019-10-08-17-59-41-1.png
...... we COULD OF had that in Brandon Lundy ... perhaps. :-|

turbo

Is that Staj low balling him or just working within the financial restraints the club has given him. Maybe if we had a striker signed he might be more willing to spend the left overs, or perhaps if we didn’t have to pick up Fox at a time we had 1 CB suspended and 2 injured we might have had more money left over for wide backs.

scottmac

Suspended
I knew mine would be an unpopular post and I respect the opinions of everyone on here - after all we all have the same ambition at heart that is to see the Mariners succeed and continue to be a club that we can be proud of.
I guess my reasoning behind my way of thinking is I do not see Silvera as the massive talent that many do. I have watched him play for many years and he has always been a player with potential that goes missing when things get difficult. I agree that it is good that we have learnt from the Matt Millar situation in not locking down players early and to long term deals. However I don't rate him above either Lewis Miller or Josh Nisbet but he definitely is miles better than some of the triallists and youth players that have been given a chance - Marc Moric, John Roberts, Jerry Skotadis and Dylan Ruiz-Diaz.
Which brings me to another of Staj's stuff ups - the way he dealt with Brandon Lundy. Lundy trialled for a couple of weeks and played in the fairly low key match against North Shore Mariners. He was an absolute stand out albeit in a game that meant absolutely nothing against opponents who fielded a number of triallists themselves. I, and many others left the game thinking we had found ourselves a top class attacking right back. Staj didn't offer him a contract (which is the coach's decision in all cases) but he told Lundy he wanted him to stay on and train full time with the team without payment or contract just in case we needed to sign someone during the season. Lundy never came back for another session. If this is Staj's way of testing someones desire or eagerness to play then it is a very unprofessional way of doing it. If he honestly thought that Lundy would agree to it then that is just plain stupidity. I hope it was the first.
And what's Lundy doing now?
Ziggy has pedigree, leadership and game smarts. Exactly what we need and is capable of playing across the backline. Lundy hasn't broken into the Aleague and won't where he is now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred