• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Financial Crisis in the Daily Tele

marinermick

So why don't you guys go and make everyone abundantly aware of what is going on rather than pissing around the edges like you seem to be doing?

I don't know know how plain we have to make it for you to comprehend.

Good business is keeping your best players four weeks out from season end, winning the competition and having the subsequent financial spin-offs from this win.

It is not about ripping out coach and player morale from under them at the most important time of the season.

Any good people manager knows this.

scottmac

Suspended
Are you 100% sure this club would survive ACL without those cash injections?

If not you can not argue with the reasons for doing what has been done.

(sorry for changing this post whoever put that vote there, I'm having trouble keeping up with the responses and pretending to work at the same time)

adz

Staff member
Wow, this thread has fired up!

I guess it's just personal opinion on whether the Mariners are doing "good business" or not.
Some people always bang on about how the A-League is a feeder league to the rest of the world... if that's the case then selling players isn't so bad? (On the business side I mean. I hate seeing good players leave the club!)

As for it not being sustainable... why not? We've already shown we can make a bit from these transfers. Maybe the Mariners have plans to sustain the business through other means (COE... mystery investor but only under certain terms) and need to sell players at the moment until that happens?

He is irreplacable...

I've heard people say players will always come and go but never that ^^

adz

Staff member
I don't know know how plain we have to make it for you to comprehend.

Good business is keeping your best players four weeks out from season end, winning the competition and having the subsequent financial spin-offs from this win.

It is not about ripping out coach and player morale from under them at the most important time of the season.

Any good people manager knows this.

How do we know subsequent financial spin-offs > transfer fees? I agree with you for the long term, but where does the money come from to keep the club alive in the short term? There needs to be a balance.

marinermick

How do we know subsequent financial spin-offs > transfer fees? I agree with you for the long term, but where does the money come from to keep the club alive in the short term? There needs to be a balance.

If you cannot sustain the losses of a football without compromising its competitiveness then it is time to ship out.

As I said there has been plenty of potential investors that get scared away when they do due diligence and start negotiating the ownership model for the club.

Perhaps it is time for the owner(s) to be more flexible in negotiations to maintain competitiveness.

Nathan Byrn

Wow, this thread has fired up!

I guess it's just personal opinion on whether the Mariners are doing "good business" or not.
Some people always bang on about how the A-League is a feeder league to the rest of the world... if that's the case then selling players isn't so bad? (On the business side I mean. I hate seeing good players leave the club!)

As for it not being sustainable... why not? We've already shown we can make a bit from these transfers. Maybe the Mariners have plans to sustain the business through other means (COE... mystery investor but only under certain terms) and need to sell players at the moment until that happens?

I've heard people say players will always come and go but never that ^^
That is what he said. No player on the market in Australia could of had the impact Matt had on the field and in the dressing room.

scottmac

Suspended
Perhaps it is time for the owner(s) to be more flexible in negotiations to maintain competitiveness.

and here in lies the crux of our problem.

One could say he is the boss and makes the decisions. He has put in a lot of work and does not want to let go without maintaining some type of control. Can we blame him, this club f**king rocks. We can see why he should but are not faced with the desicion ourselves.

As for maintaining competitiveness its hard to argue that when we sit top of the league.

marinermick

And this is where clubs go wrong (see Con and Clive).

It is not their club. The club belongs to the Central Coast community and the Mariners' members. They contribute more to the finances of the club than the owner.

And as for competitiveness what has been our record since we sold Matt Simon?

Nathan Byrn

and here in lies the crux of our problem.

One could say he is the boss and makes the decisions. He has put in a lot of work and does not want to let go without maintaining some type of control. Can we blame him, this club f**king rocks. We can see why he should but are not faced with the desicion ourselves.

As for maintaining competitiveness its hard to argue that when we sit top of the league.
I really think you need a serious reality check. Why are you defending him?
The FFA are waiting patiently

Nathan Byrn

The "my way or the highway" business model is not the preffered method of business in these modern times. Innovation and interaction with staff and community, forming a fabric of trust and recognition is the way forward.

Nor is the "if you build it they will come" mantra going to work. Plenty of investors have seen projects fold overnight. REED constructions who are doing the Central Coast highway is a great example. They have squandered over $27 million of taxpayers money and owe over $100 million to contractors and the like. Makes our $10 million look small.

adz

Staff member
If you cannot sustain the losses of a football without compromising its competitiveness then it is time to ship out.

As I said there has been plenty of potential investors that get scared away when they do due diligence and start negotiating the ownership model for the club.

Fair enough and as I said for the long term I agree. Thinking about it a bit more, we're in season 7 now and we should really have a big enough supporter base to take care of a lot of the costs, but they seem more interested in chasing the big fish to pump money into it while they (giving them the benefit of the doubt here!) put whatever other plans they have in place to sustain the club.

I would love to know some details of the negotiations and any plans they have, but doubt we ever will.

dibo

Voicing displeasure ain't gonna achieve shit.

If people are so well informed as to the state of the club, spill it and force the FFA to act. Pull the trigger.

Otherwise it's all pissing in the wind.

true believer

Voicing displeasure ain't gonna achieve shit.

If people are so well informed as to the state of the club, spill it and force the FFA to act. Pull the trigger.

Otherwise it's all pissing in the wind.

which means what? were f'd or we'll suck it and see?

Ancient Mariner

The questions I would like answered.
1) Were the Russians or other investors being pushed upon the club by the FFA and resisted by current ownership?

2) If we had not sold Matt and Griffiths would the club have hit the wall, and then would the FFA have resumed the licence, and then brought in a buyer willing to buy 100% but not a part share?

3) Are there investors out there waiting for this to happen?

4) Or would we have gone the way of Fury?

5) Are we to be forever cursed to uncovering good players and selling them on or can we be like Roar?

6) Are the Russians gonski? If so why haven't we been told? I am getting pissed off with the obvious leaks to the media that tell us all our problems will be solved in the next few days and then silence.

I really think if the present ownership cannot do more than just keep limping on from one payday to the next it is time to sell up before the club becomes a GCU basket case.

HOW ABOUT SOME ANSWERS.

dibo

Here's a thing on selling players - we're a small club. We'll probably always be a selling club. If we continue to get a good look at youth and bring them through to HAL level effectively such that a few of them break through and head off overseas, that's a perfectly tenable position. Players will want to come to us for the opportunity and will know that they'll be able to move on to bigger and better things.

The situation with ownership may or may not be related, but I couldn't give a flying f**k. It's beyond what I can influence by pissing and moaning on here (I should know, I've been pissing and moaning about the club on the internet for seven years now and it's never made a bee's dick of difference).

Stressing out about it will do neither me nor the club any good whatsoever. If anyone else has something they/we can do that *will* make a difference, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'll continue going along, having a beer and watching my team play.

marinermick

Here's a thing on selling players - we're a small club. We'll probably always be a selling club. If we continue to get a good look at youth and bring them through to HAL level effectively such that a few of them break through and head off overseas, that's a perfectly tenable position. Players will want to come to us for the opportunity and will know that they'll be able to move on to bigger and better things.

No one is arguing against this. But to sell two of your best two players when you are serious finals contenders is unforgiveable.

Brisbane and Newcastle both had opportunities to do so and refrained because they were in the title mix.

We are either serious about winning the comp and being competitive every season for the local community or we should not even be in the compteition.

Nathan Byrn

The situation with ownership may or may not be related, but I couldn't give a flying f**k. It's beyond what I can influence by pissing and moaning on here (I should know, I've been pissing and moaning about the club on the internet for seven years now and it's never made a bee's dick of difference).

Stressing out about it will do neither me nor the club any good whatsoever. If anyone else has something they/we can do that *will* make a difference, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'll continue going along, having a beer and watching my team play.
And as I have touched on in another thread once western Sydney comes in we are in massive trouble. They will compete and get many of the better players we are now getting. A new competitor for our "little club". As such our transactional business model is in serious trouble. We will have to really "develop" our own players from 8-9 up. And with no more senior mens rep team or under 20's if they are not up to senior A-league standard they will lost to the coast. Can the current financial framework of the Mariners support this? NO.

Ancient Mariner

No one is arguing against this. But to sell two of your best two players when you are serious finals contenders is unforgiveable.

Brisbane and Newcastle both had opportunities to do so and refrained because they were in the title mix.

We are either serious about winning the comp and being competitive every season for the local community or we should not even be in the compteition.

Exactly, the whole point of having a sporting team is to win the comp, not be a successful farm.

Sure players will move on for more money or further their careers, but to sell players like we have this year will lead to an ever decreasing spiral.

The end result will be like supporting the youth team each year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred