• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Financial Crisis in the Daily Tele

dibo

And as I have touched on in another thread once western Sydney comes in we are in massive trouble. They will compete and get many of the better players we are now getting. A new competitor for our "little club". As such our transactional business model is in serious trouble. We will have to really "develop" our own players from 8-9 up. And with no more senior mens rep team or under 20's if they are not up to senior A-league standard they will lost to the coast. Can the current financial framework of the Mariners support this? NO.

And as I said in that same thread:

By your definition nobody in the a-league develops anyone. Whatever.

As for competition for players, we draw players from Sydney, as does everyone. There are nearly 200k players in Sydney. For every player on the coast there are about 15 in Sydney. The well is deep.

We're already competing with two other NSW clubs for WS talent (not counting interstate courters or even those over the ditch) so a third won't make a big difference.

The loss of a NSWSL side on the coast will have bugger all impact on the CCM business - we've drawn very few players from there who've 'made it' (in seven years we've had Simon, Porter... help me out here) and the best kids have always gone elsewhere for NSWPL action, but it'll save CCF/CCM $100k or more p/a.

If we have a good coaching staff, a good playing philosophy and an openness to allowing players to pursue opportunities as they arise we won't struggle at all.

marinermick

or attract any decent coach for that matter - especially when we supply him with archaic training facilities

all they have at the COE is half a field and a dodgy clubhouse

scottmac

Suspended
And as for competitiveness what has been our record since we sold Matt Simon?

We've played a lot worse than the games you speak of and won so whats your point. We have not been poor. Arnolds tendancy to give excuses and whinge in the media is as valid a reason for or record since MS left as selling him is.

You guys are making out like we are dead and buried for this season.

As for Western Sydney who says they will be a club that plays their youth in the first team? There is no reason yet to believe that we will loose the pick of WS youth to a team that does not yet exist.

You would think the sky has fallen in on CCM the way you guys are carrying on. We are f**king first in the league still playing f**king great football and still in the pole position for the premiership and a second consecutive ACL. We control our own destiny and have the players capable of doing it.

I want a new investor as much as the next person and couldn't give a flying f**k if PT is to run the show or not. I can see why we sold RG & MS and accept it for what it is. Thats the situation we are in, we are the f**king Mariners not Newcastle or Brisbane.

marinermick

Well, you can aspire to medicority.

I aspire ourr team to be better than Brisbane and Newcastle and currently we do not have a championship trophy in our cabinet.

Nathan Byrn

We're already competing with two other NSW clubs for WS talent (not counting interstate courters or even those over the ditch) so a third won't make a big difference.

The loss of a NSWSL side on the coast will have bugger all impact on the CCM business - we've drawn very few players from there who've 'made it' (in seven years we've had Simon, Porter... help me out here) and the best kids have always gone elsewhere for NSWPL action, but it'll save CCF/CCM $100k or more p/a.

If we have a good coaching staff, a good playing philosophy and an openness to allowing players to pursue opportunities as they arise we won't struggle at all.
Dibo we constantly butt heads about this issue. Go and ask the Mariners coaching staff if they would like a senior team ask Moss or Walmesly. Their answer is yes.. But the Mariners can't afford it. They see the value and so does Porter, Boogardt, Trott, Kwasnik, Simon. And then there is players that came from other state league teams Ibini, Amini, Duke, Pedj and many more.. If we had a team they could stay and not be lost to the region forever. A good working business model has a senior team, I have seen it. But that model is gone replaced with dreams of COE, cash flow issues, tax and super debts, outstanding bonuses, skeleton staff and uncertainty.

Nathan Byrn

We've played a lot worse than the games you speak of and won so whats your point. We have not been poor. Arnolds tendancy to give excuses and whinge in the media is as valid a reason for or record since MS left as selling him is.

You guys are making out like we are dead and buried for this season.

As for Western Sydney who says they will be a club that plays their youth in the first team? There is no reason yet to believe that we will loose the pick of WS youth to a team that does not yet exist.

You would think the sky has fallen in on CCM the way you guys are carrying on. We are f**king first in the league still playing f**king great football and still in the pole position for the premiership and a second consecutive ACL. We control our own destiny and have the players capable of doing it.

I want a new investor as much as the next person and couldn't give a flying f**k if PT is to run the show or not. I can see why we sold RG & MS and accept it for what it is. Thats the situation we are in, we are the f**king Mariners not Newcastle or Brisbane.
We are not Newcastle or Brisbane because any potential investor is walking away around the same issues. If our club was well run and financed like the clubs you mentioned would Matt and Rostyn still be here...Ask the coach that question..
And also ask what is on his wish list to keep him at the club.
Full size training pitch, Marquee and to be paid.

Nathan Byrn

You do realise that Abini and Imini cam from Blacktown yeah.. And The Mariners have an Academy in western Sydney yeahh...ok

Bladesman

Given that Kevin McCabe seems to have been involved in the club, not sure he still is but given the current situation, player sales, rich investors who are going to save the club but never materialise, strange relationships between the football clubs and other business and trusts the this book may be of interest -

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/fit-and-proper/id482245698?mt=11

This is the story of a football club that, in the 1990s, harboured the UK's biggest white-collar fraudster. This same club was almost bought by someone who couldn't decide whether to be a man or a woman. It also had as chairman a man subject to an international arrest warrant, then another chairman who remains to this day a fugitive from the law, who in turn was succeeded by a man with connections to Libyan arms dealers. To this ensemble make space for the Gurkha Regiment, Interpol, the 'Rat Pack', the Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic, protein-rich algae, a collection of classic motor vehicles, 29,000 piles of dog excrement, a huge Indian city and a tiny Scottish village. Based on years of research by its two authors, Fit and Proper? details the history of the boardroom of Sheffield United Football Club, focusing particularly on the foibles of the men who over three decades from 1980 tried, and largely failed, to turn the 'Blades' into a profitable business and a successful club. Instead, the city that gave the game to the world is home to a club that has now become the footballing arm of an international property development company. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

as there seems to be a lot of similarity to how things have played out a number of times over the past few years at Sheffield United.

Ancient Mariner

We are not Newcastle or Brisbane because any potential investor is walking away around the same issues. If our club was well run and financed like the clubs you mentioned would Matt and Rostyn still be here...Ask the coach that question..
And also ask what is on his wish list to keep him at the club.
Full size training pitch, Marquee and to be paid.

"and to be paid", tell 'em the're dreaming. :piralaugh:

bikinigirl

I hate this thread.

:mad:

. and i have been somewhat reluctant to comment but since my earlier question seems to have gone unanswered ... i will add this - it is interesting how people can be so philosophical when they are talking about spending someone elses money (whether they have it or not)

. i am also interested to know how they rate the philosophy of all these 'potential investors' when we don't seem to know very much about them. i can't imagine many of them have the interests of the central coast community/fans/supporters/players/staff at heart ... probably not even a consideration let alone a driving force. these investors (like any in football) may be willing to spend a bit of cash ... but they will certainly be looking to take something away from the club

. i don't hide from the fact that others know more about these things than i do, but what sort of investment/model do you guys expect?

.. the gold coast united model
.. the chelsea model
.. sydney or melbourne perhaps
.. the struggle to keep the club afloat for years model where the owners are reluctant to relinquish control after 'investing' millions, remaining successful and laying the foundation for continued success
.. perhaps just someone with shedloads of cash that they are willing to hand over without wanting to take any control or change the clubs philosophy; take the likes of mick and nathan on staff pay them well and take each of their spoken (or written) words as gospel

. i am not necessarily saying its better the devil you know ... but i think we need to be a little careful in what we wish for. in many respects PT was a saviour for the club there is no guarantee that any future investor will save us from anything - perhaps not even ourselves

Nathan Byrn

Read this.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/centralcoastmariners/news-display/Mariners-Griffiths-agree-terms-with-Guangzhou-RF/45764

adz

Staff member
There is nothing in there very surprising.

We sold a player. Arnie's dissapointed but can see the benefits for doing it. No doomsday warning at the end, unless there's some secret code written into the article i'm missing?

Nope just normal "football business".

Obviously there are some who know a bit more, or think they know a bit more, but just aren't letting on.

Nobody gives a shit about "I know what's going on but I can't say anything because (...) so I will just take random/vague/anonymous (pick 2) potshots without any real details..." etc.

or this..

Voicing displeasure ain't gonna achieve shit.

If people are so well informed as to the state of the club, spill it and force the FFA to act. Pull the trigger.

Otherwise it's all pissing in the wind.

Ravana

It's as simple as he wanted to play overseas, so get near a million now or get nothing later.
Australia is simply small time

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred