• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Insertnamehere

Anyone seen the Tim Smithies article stating we've had offers for sale of the licence and relocation of the team? It's about an hour old. I've only found paywalled

pjennings

If nothing else it might focus the mind of council if their main tenant has other offers.

Tom Smithies and Emma Kemp, The Daily Telegraph
November 28, 2019 4:36pm

Is the Mariners’ time in Gosford under threat?

Central Coast owner Mike Charlesworth is believed to have received two unsolicited bids in the past two months from separate consortiums in both Canberra and Brisbane.

In both cases, the approaches were based on buying the licence that Charlesworth has and moving it away from the Central Coast – a radical move that would require the assent of both the other clubs and FFA.

c367556d07b2cbb23c4d0460a928dc95

Unofficially, a number of other clubs are believed to have indicated they wouldn’t oppose such a move, presumably on the basis they wouldn’t want to be boxed in themselves in the future.

similars

Neither approach to Charlesworth has as yet led anywhere. Though he could not be reached for comment, it’s thought his preference is to stay put, both at the club and on the Central Coast – but attempts to seek more investment into the Mariners from outside sources have so far come to nothing.

There have been wider talks among all the owners about how to get an injection of capital into the league quickly, to bolster attempts to rebrand and market the competition.

8db208750ee1fc22a1ead4c02d57b8a9

Some owners have canvassed the idea of seeking out private equity, though former EPL boss Richard Scudamore has cautioned against this as a first option in briefings to the clubs last week.

An alternative would be to sell a chunk of the league to an entertainment marketing company like IMG, which held discreet talks with FFA previously about doing exactly that.

Sharpening the owners’ minds is a slight but noticeable reduction in their central grant this season thanks to the costs of dividing the A-League from FFA’s control.

The divorce agreement stipulates that FFA must not be worse off proportionally, and the clubs’ grant is likely to be down by more than 10 per cent.

783ef5572b35efe343f418fa9f750056

MORE NEWS

SHOULD Trent Buhagiar play some minutes against Western United on Sunday he’ll be reminded of what might have been.

Before joining Sydney FC from Central Coast and tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, the 21-year-old Gosford-born winger was scouted for the Maltese national team – by Mark Rudan’s assistant coach John Hutchinson.

Hutchinson, who played for Malta, alerted his national team to Buhagiar’s speedy talents and Maltese heritage while at the Mariners. And while Buhagiar has since played several times for the Olyroos, he’s yet to be locked in for Australia at senior competitive level.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/17c1cd022c49f3788b73ea7c351904d1

turbo

Allowing relocation is a huge Pandora’s box the league shouldn’t open. It won’t result in a better national footprint and will inevitably end up in treading on existing teams territories even if the first one or two dont. Not to mention how crap it would be if say QLD were left without a team because East Melbourne or Southern Expansion had deep pockets. Once the floodgates are open that’s where it ends up.

pjennings

Allowing relocation is a huge Pandora’s box the league shouldn’t open. It won’t result in a better national footprint and will inevitably end up in treading on existing teams territories even if the first one or two dont. Not to mention how crap it would be if say QLD were left without a team because East Melbourne or Southern Expansion had deep pockets. Once the floodgates are open that’s where it ends up.

There will always be offers - whether they are realistic or not is another thing. With Charlesworth in town/soon to be in town I suspect this is a strategic leak to put the pressure on the Council on the stadium arrangements.

Insertnamehere

It's vexxed. As it kind of proves pricks like South Melbourne right. Deep pockets, buy a licence to move it. Franchise soulless football

Insertnamehere

There will always be offers - whether they are realistic or not is another thing. With Charlesworth in town/soon to be in town I suspect this is a strategic leak to put the pressure on the Council on the stadium arrangements.
And really it should provoke a conversation because there's no real likelihood of NRL ever being more than a showpiece on the coast.

turbo

And that’s a valid tactic, getting it out there saying I dont have to stick around here without more support. My concern is at a more fundamental level, I don’t think the league is better off of any regional or struggling franchise can be snapped up and moved to another market. It’s crap for the big teams too because their lucrative turf is where they’ll be looking to squeeze in to. If a unanimous vote is required license portability will only apply to a few if any. If a % is required clubs will get steamrolled if others see dollar signs.

style_cafe

The independent league would be absolutely stupid to allow it.
They should be seeking out the supposed interested parties and look at their credentials.
One would think the League would be looking at expansion not re-locations.
So if Canberra is one of the interested parties meet with them, look at the proposal and if all is in order and they meet the criteria
offer them a position in two years the same as Macarthur.
I`m all for expanding the League as long as we can maintain or improve the quality we now have....:popcorn:

marinermick

Reliably informed its made up bollocks and there is no substance whatsoever

The clue is Murdoch press

I’d say it is as others have said and Charlesworth has fed this to him and he took it hook, line and sinker.

It is not the first time a Smithies article has been fed exclusively from Charlesworth. He seems to be Mike’s go to man in Australia.

marinermick

Absolutely spot on with this one.

Charlesworth arrived this week.

Pirate Pete

Talking of the stadium. I was only thinking the other week.
How many stadiums in Australia aren't sponsored?
Yeah, I know someone is now going to post a long list of stadiums (Stadia?) that aren't named.
Having said that there was a bloke on the radio a while ago who said you'd be surprised how little money it costs to get naming rights.
He reckoned Suncorp were paying a pittance.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well, suffice it to say ,IF Pikey flogs the team/license and they move...the Hyundai A League and all its sundries can go f**k themselves

Insertnamehere

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb