Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Discussion in 'Central Coast Mariners FC' started by RECKY, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Insertnamehere

Insertnamehere Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the Tim Smithies article stating we've had offers for sale of the licence and relocation of the team? It's about an hour old. I've only found paywalled

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. TedShot

TedShot Active Member

Yeah I'm only hitting pay wall on herald and telegraph

3. Insertnamehere

Thought independence would stop this shit

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RECKY

RECKY I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

Isn’t Smithies a Cove stooge

5. pjennings

pjennings Well-Known Member

If nothing else it might focus the mind of council if their main tenant has other offers.

Tom Smithies and Emma Kemp, The Daily Telegraph
    November 28, 2019 4:36pm

Is the Mariners’ time in Gosford under threat?

Central Coast owner Mike Charlesworth is believed to have received two unsolicited bids in the past two months from separate consortiums in both Canberra and Brisbane.

In both cases, the approaches were based on buying the licence that Charlesworth has and moving it away from the Central Coast – a radical move that would require the assent of both the other clubs and FFA.

[​IMG]

Unofficially, a number of other clubs are believed to have indicated they wouldn’t oppose such a move, presumably on the basis they wouldn’t want to be boxed in themselves in the future.

[​IMG]
    Neither approach to Charlesworth has as yet led anywhere. Though he could not be reached for comment, it’s thought his preference is to stay put, both at the club and on the Central Coast – but attempts to seek more investment into the Mariners from outside sources have so far come to nothing.

There have been wider talks among all the owners about how to get an injection of capital into the league quickly, to bolster attempts to rebrand and market the competition.

[​IMG]
    Some owners have canvassed the idea of seeking out private equity, though former EPL boss Richard Scudamore has cautioned against this as a first option in briefings to the clubs last week.

An alternative would be to sell a chunk of the league to an entertainment marketing company like IMG, which held discreet talks with FFA previously about doing exactly that.

Sharpening the owners’ minds is a slight but noticeable reduction in their central grant this season thanks to the costs of dividing the A-League from FFA’s control.

The divorce agreement stipulates that FFA must not be worse off proportionally, and the clubs’ grant is likely to be down by more than 10 per cent.

[​IMG]

MORE NEWS

SHOULD Trent Buhagiar play some minutes against Western United on Sunday he’ll be reminded of what might have been.

Before joining Sydney FC from Central Coast and tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, the 21-year-old Gosford-born winger was scouted for the Maltese national team – by Mark Rudan’s assistant coach John Hutchinson.

Hutchinson, who played for Malta, alerted his national team to Buhagiar’s speedy talents and Maltese heritage while at the Mariners. And while Buhagiar has since played several times for the Olyroos, he’s yet to be locked in for Australia at senior competitive level.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/17c1cd022c49f3788b73ea7c351904d1

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
  6. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

Allowing relocation is a huge Pandora’s box the league shouldn’t open. It won’t result in a better national footprint and will inevitably end up in treading on existing teams territories even if the first one or two dont. Not to mention how crap it would be if say QLD were left without a team because East Melbourne or Southern Expansion had deep pockets. Once the floodgates are open that’s where it ends up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. pjennings

pjennings Well-Known Member

There will always be offers - whether they are realistic or not is another thing. With Charlesworth in town/soon to be in town I suspect this is a strategic leak to put the pressure on the Council on the stadium arrangements.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Insertnamehere

It's vexxed. As it kind of proves pricks like South Melbourne right. Deep pockets, buy a licence to move it. Franchise soulless football

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Insertnamehere

And really it should provoke a conversation because there's no real likelihood of NRL ever being more than a showpiece on the coast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

And that’s a valid tactic, getting it out there saying I dont have to stick around here without more support. My concern is at a more fundamental level, I don’t think the league is better off of any regional or struggling franchise can be snapped up and moved to another market. It’s crap for the big teams too because their lucrative turf is where they’ll be looking to squeeze in to. If a unanimous vote is required license portability will only apply to a few if any. If a % is required clubs will get steamrolled if others see dollar signs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. style_cafe

style_cafe Well-Known Member

The independent league would be absolutely stupid to allow it.
    They should be seeking out the supposed interested parties and look at their credentials.
    One would think the League would be looking at expansion not re-locations.
    So if Canberra is one of the interested parties meet with them, look at the proposal and if all is in order and they meet the criteria
    offer them a position in two years the same as Macarthur.
    I`m all for expanding the League as long as we can maintain or improve the quality we now have....:popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

Reliably informed its made up bollocks and there is no substance whatsoever

The clue is Murdoch press

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. MagpieMariner

MagpieMariner Well-Known Member

Says it all. If Murdoch press reported a heatwave tomorrow, I'd wear an overcoat & take an umbrella.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. marinermick

marinermick Well-Known Member

I’d say it is as others have said and Charlesworth has fed this to him and he took it hook, line and sinker.

It is not the first time a Smithies article has been fed exclusively from Charlesworth. He seems to be Mike’s go to man in Australia.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. marinermick

marinermick Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on with this one.

Charlesworth arrived this week.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  16. Pirate Pete

Pirate Pete Well-Known Member

Talking of the stadium. I was only thinking the other week.
    How many stadiums in Australia aren't sponsored?
    Yeah, I know someone is now going to post a long list of stadiums (Stadia?) that aren't named.
    Having said that there was a bloke on the radio a while ago who said you'd be surprised how little money it costs to get naming rights.
    He reckoned Suncorp were paying a pittance.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  17. RECKY

RECKY I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

Well, suffice it to say ,IF Pikey flogs the team/license and they move...the Hyundai A League and all its sundries can go f**k themselves

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Waspish

Waspish Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

It would be dumb for the league to let Canberra buy our license and undercut the expansion process.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Insertnamehere

Of all the bids in waiting Canberra has serious money so could pull it off. But the owner's would be ridiculous to scrap a team rather than expand

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1