• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

scoober

Can't really argue with Kossie. He also says it in a way that isn't just bashing the club for the sake of laying the slippers in. Other commentators could learn a thing from that.
He also tipped the mariners to beat WSW on the weekend on the fox coverage. Guess he's kicking himself now

Rowdy

He also tipped the mariners to beat WSW on the weekend on the fox coverage. Guess he's kicking himself now
He did so based off of:
'should've beat SydneyFC' the week before & he was right to do so.

I highly rate his analysis of the games whenever he's on Fox, if Mulvey got sacked I'd take Kossie in minute.

Still calls it as he see's it which warms my heart greatly but has matured a lot in his demeanor since last coaching at Syd FC and learning the subtle art of communicating effectively on live TV.

Having to appear interested without rolling your eyes as Archie Thompson dribbles without a 'bib' whilst failing to string 3-4 words together takes a great deal of patience. :confused:

Insertnamehere

He did so based off of:
'should've beat SydneyFC' the week before & he was right to do so.

I highly rate his analysis of the games whenever he's on Fox, if Mulvey got sacked I'd take Kossie in minute.

Still calls it as he see's it which warms my heart greatly but has matured a lot in his demeanor since last coaching at Syd FC and learning the subtle art of communicating effectively on live TV.

Having to appear interested without rolling your eyes as Archie Thompson dribbles without a 'bib' whilst failing to string 3-4 words together takes a great deal of patience. :confused:
I had my mate on us, took us at 3.75 or whatever it was. Giving the spiel about how we've played 135 minutes of decent football and WSW were looks my cooked. Did tell him to get on Riera tho...
So I'm 0/2 badly there.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

forgive me, drawing a blank here - thinking about the history of the name. Where does the title 'mariners' come from to start with? I mean, Coast, waterways, maritime, got all that, but is there some more history to it?

Antlion

I have to thank Kossie for sticking the boot in. Genuinely, I feel good about this opening of the floodgates.

I know Shaun came out in the other thread and clarified that they are aware of the situation which was about all he said or could say. Nothing tangible.
It offered no answers, no hope. I don't blame Shaun - he has provided quality consistently and across the board in his role.

But it is clear as F that we are in quicksand and have been for years. Any attempts at climbing out suck us down further somehow. While it is tolerated the response has been repeatedly piddly.

The FFA restructure may provide the impetus needed to join the A-League again as equals. There are too many ???s there to have any real confidence.

So - peer pressure it is. I'm am all for the club being called out loudly and publicly for not pulling their weight. Maybe it will have the desired effect. At the very least the club (by club I of course mean MC) will have to face up to not doing their (his) job here.

Antlion

Central Coast Mariners are the A-League's joke that needs to be spoken about
Kieran Francis

The Gosford based club have escaped scrutiny for far too long...

No one likes to kick a club while they are down, but it's time for the Central Coast Mariners narrative to be exposed and analysed.

The last time Central Coast won an A-League match was February 23 2018 - in a 1-0 home win over Wellington Phoenix with a winning goal from Daniel De Silva.

Their previous league victory was in early December 2017, meaning they have only won one A-League match in their last 26 attempts.

An A-League season is only 27 games long, and a loss for the Mariners in the F3 derby against Newcastle Jets on Saturday will mean they have gone the equivalent of an entire regular campaign without a victory

While it's an unlikely scenario, and hopefully it does not happen, this Central Coast team looks capable of going this entire A-League season without a win - and that's a horrifying prospect.

Usually teams in this situation have downed tools or aren't playing for their coach, but on face view, the Mariners look to be having a crack every week for their boss Mike Mulvey.

But it's just a frightening lack of quality within their first team and squad that appears to be ruthlessly exploited by opponents week after week.

He may be an excellent leader on and off the field, and also be a player you want in the trenches with you, but Mariners skipper Matt Simon is simply not good enough for any A-League starting XI.

The 32-year-old has scored 11 goals in his last 111 A-League appearances for Central Coast and Sydney FC - and is clearly not the player he once was during his first stint at Gosford.

When the Mariners announced Simon as club captain, it felt like a solid decision to appoint experience in the main leadership role and use the player off the bench to trouble tired defences - much like how Graham Arnold deployed him at the Sky Blues.

But Simon has started every game he has been available for this season - bar one match he was returning from a minor injury.

There is no doubting his work ethic or desire on the field, however he does not do what he is in the team for - and that's scoring or assisting goals.

His style of play and limitations with the ball at his feet also demands his teammates use long balls or crosses to find his head - which doesn't allow the Mariners to play an attractive brand of football or even hit teams on the counter.

What did the Central Coast decision makers expect when they signed Simon to be an integral part of their attack?

The same can be said about Ross McCormack - the former Melbourne City striker who scored 14 goals in 17 A-League games last season - and is currently out injured with a knee complaint.

Without meaning to be disrespectful to McCormack, there is a reason he is unwanted at Aston Villa and has spent the majority of the last 14 months Down Under.

Nine of McCormack's City goal haul came from direct free kicks or penalties - and a few of his others came from absolute superb service from his teammates.

At the Mariners, the team isn't dangerous enough to win penalties or set pieces in threatening areas - and also haven't been providing plenty of ball to feet service in the 18-yard box for the Scottish striker.

Speaking of ball delivery, defender Jack Clisby was the designated set piece taker for the team during the 2-0 loss to Wellington Phoenix.

Clisby, at the age of 26, has already played at four different A-League clubs in six seasons, and whilst he is an honest trier, I can think of 20 A-League players I would rather taking set pieces.

The list of problems with the playing list appears to be never ending - veteran Michael McGlinchey looks a shadow of the player he was during his first stint with the club while Tommy Oar is injured and seemed to be struggling to with the lack of quality around him in his early matches.

Highly rated midfielder Aiden O'Neill, on loan from Premier League club Burnley, has not looked like a player who made his debut in England's top division in August 2016 - save for the stunning long-range goal he scored against Perth.

In defence, Ben Kennedy has looked dicey in between the sticks until his recent injury, Kalifa Cisse looks to be a brutal centre half but makes way too many errors and Antony Golec appears to still be recovering from the broken leg he suffered earlier this year.

Like any horribly negative story, there is always a couple of shining lights - coming in the form of Matthew Millar, Kye Rowles and Connor Pain.

Millar has been the Mariners best player this season, taking players on as he steams up and down the right flank in a bid to make the most of his second chance at A-League level.

While he may lack a bit of quality, Pain can certainly hold his head high with his work rate and endeavour in most matches, and has even earned interest from England's Championship in his services.

Rowles has become a much more developed player since making the move from Brisbane Roar and has excelled in a variety of defensive roles despite the team being battered by opposition attacks most weeks.

Unfortunately the positives are few and far between - and it's hard to see how the Mariners can salvage anything out of this season.

The club's decision makers need to start working on a plan right now to ensure the mediocrity does not continue next campaign.

It's understandable that Central Coast have less resources than other A-League teams, but too many signings have been made over the past few years that simply aren't good enough.

Finishing eighth in the league or lower in the last four seasons - including two wooden spoons - is a disgraceful record that needs to stop.

Fox Sports pundit John Kosmina believes the Mariners need to become accountable if their mediocrity continues.

"You know, if Wellington Phoenix have to live up to certain expectations in terms of maintaining their licence, so do the Mariners,” Kosmina said on Sunday Shootout.

"And if they don’t meet those parameters, maybe they might have to hand back their licence in a year or two as well, for another club to come in.

"And you’ve got to look at it — would the Jets be able to swallow up and develop that area? That’s a big statement but it’s something that needs to be considered."
https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/cen...needs-to-be-spoken/1cl98den3i8mw1imr12tj2ztm2

Antlion

On the last point about the scum swallowing up the coast - laughable. The blood between the 2 regions in a footballing context is way too sour.
If CCM went down the scum are one of the last clubs I would follow

turbo

If you ignore the regurgitated Kosmina bit at the end the article is spot on. His signing was unexpected anyway but no one expected Simon to be a regular starter, he was almost certainly at Sydney because he was cheap and that fit with what Arnold was doing with his cashed up starting XI. Similar for Mcglinchey - expected to be a decent squad player not first XI. Does anyone know what kind of play style Mulvey envisioned for the team he helped build? Was it always going to be long ball hit and hope?

Insertnamehere

On the last point about the scum swallowing up the coast - laughable. The blood between the 2 regions in a footballing context is way too sour.
If CCM went down the scum are one of the last clubs I would follow
It's like the assumptions Southern X Pants were making. That south Sydney was the same as Sutherland was the same as South Coast. It's not and they don't want to be lumped together.

Wombat

He appeared to have f**k all interest anyway.
Couple of paid holidays then I'm out of here.
Typical Scummer (Manyoo not the northern bogans)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred