• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

FRESH from making his biggest ever investment in the Mariners’ playing squad, owner Mike Charlesworth has predicted the A-League will quickly move to a more secure financial footing.

After signing off on the acquisitions of Tommy Oar and Ross McCormack, Charlesworth said the prospect of an independently run league had transformed his belief in its future.

It’s believed the Mariners’ spend on players will take them close to filling the salary cap of $3 million this season, hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the club has ever spent in a season and culminating in the key signings of Oar and McCormack.

It’s a remarkable turnaround at a club that has spent only the 90 per cent minimum specified in the salary cap in recent seasons, and Charlesworth admitted that had produced “predictable results” – the club finishing no higher than eighth in the past four seasons.

The Mariners chairman has also committed to spending a seven-figure sum in the event Usain Bolt earns a professional contract, and though that seems some distance away, Charlesworth said the Mariners fan base had to respond to the extra spending.

“It’s an investment, spending more on the squad but in a calculated way,” Charlesworth said. “Six years ago the club was bust, successful but financially broken.

“There are no guarantees of course but we feel we have a competitive squad now.

“Spending significantly less than everyone else produced predictable results I guess.

“These are interesting times, quite apart from the Bolt experiment.

“We need to grow the membership, and the video was a call to arms for the fans to commit. There’s more excitement around the club than there has been for years.

“If we could get to 10,000 members, it would show that investing in the club brings rewards.”

For several years a trenchant critic of the way Football Federation Australia has run the A-League, Charlesworth said that development work undertaken on devolving it away from head office – part of the overhaul of the voting structure at the head of the game – had given him the confidence to invest.

“I don’t think we’d have been in a position to justify this investment if discussions around a new A-League structure had not gone the way they have,” Charlesworth said.

“We’re preparing the club for a league that’s bigger and more successful.

“It would have been difficult to justify this expenditure in the last couple of years but we’ve taken a new position in trying to grow our revenue, and try to be more successful in a bigger league.

“I think we’ll be in a better state this time next year.

Even the stalwarts at the FFA agree we need a new model for the A-League, and whether its fully independent – which most people agree we need – or some other system, things should look more promising.

“I’m more excited about the A-League than I have been for years, because we’ve all been working towards a better environment.”

Antlion

Central Coast Mariners 2018/19 preview: More than a Usain Bolt sideshow
Josh Thomas

A Jamaican has stolen the headlines, but Central Coast could catch the eye this season for very different reasons.

After dropping off the radar in recent seasons, a trial for Usain Bolt has put Central Coast Mainers well and truly back on the map.

While the Olympic champion will no doubt dominate discussion for some time, the club themselves will be out to prove they themselves are worthy of keeping an eye on this season.

With a new coach, an overhauled squad and a superstar on trial, Central Coast could be about to turn their fortunes around.

Mike Mulvey's Mariners makeover
mike-mulvey-central-coast-mariners_ywreqrf8i4ot1986kjar0m6al.jpg

Despite winning the A-League double with Brisbane Roar in 2013/14, Mulvey found himself sacked just a month into the next season.

After a few years in Malaysia, the 55-year-old has sealed his return to the competition and is a man on a mission with the Mariners.

Determined to overhaul the squad he was inheriting, an 8-2 thrashing in the final game of the season which handed Central Coast the wooden spoon gave Mulvey the mandate to radically shake things up at the club.

With 15 players joining his senior squad and 12 departing, the Mariners will boast a team sheet nearly unrecognisable from last season.

Though there will be a few familiar faces, a fresh batch of talent has been recruited with Mike Phelan no doubt playing his part in getting some impressive deals across the line.

From Socceroo hopefuls Aiden O'Neill and Tommy Oar, to a loan move for Scottish star Ross McCormack - Central Coast have managed to secure some very solid names for the season ahead.

Lesser known NPL trio Jordan Murray, Josh Macdonald and Matt Millar have also been given the chance to impress with Murray in particular a potentially shrewd investment from the club.

While the squad itself might not be the strongest in the league, it's far stronger than it has been in years gone by and should give fans some hope of a revival.

Mulvey himself will be desperate to impress and prove Brisbane were wrong to sack him so abruptly.
Old heads and promising youngsters
central-coast-mariners-201819-kit_b42j3oyvjb0t1rxh4u5a647gp.jpg

Though the Mariners will have a number of experienced players to call on this season, they've found an ideal mix of young and old with an average squad age of 24.

In the form of a returning Matt Simon, the reliable Ben Kennedy in goals and veteran Kaliffa Cisse, Central Coast have a tried and tested trio to call on when times get tough.

At the other end of the age spectrum are talented youngsters Peter Kekeris, Mario Shabow and Aiden O'Neill - all desperate to defy their young age and shine this season.

Then in the words of Goldilocks, the Mariners have found players that are 'just right' when it comes to age.

Dutch midfielder Tom Hiariej has just turned 30 after a solid first season with the club, Tommy Oar is just 26 with his best still hopefully to come and McCormack at 32 has age still on his side.

Will Usain Bolt become a Mariner?
usain-bolt-mariners_1k7tmcbe3koy01allm6lts7o53.jpg

It's the trial that's made headlines around the world and very literally put the Central Coast on the map.

And while his ability with the round ball will unlikely ever set the world alight, Bolt's dream of becoming a footballer is set to become a reality with the Mariners.

After taking a gamble on the Jamaican and hitting a marketing jackpot, Central Coast would be crazy to walk away from the table without rolling the dice once more.

With Bolt being put through an intense training regime, the sprint king should get up to a level of skill by January where he won't embarrass himself or the club with a few cameos off the bench.

Not only would the appearances justify Bolt's decision to head Down Under, it would once again provide the Mariners with a potentially much-needed boost at the end of the season.

While there are some encouraging signs for the club, it will be a real challenge for them to make the A-League finals straight away, in turn making a Bolt cameo at the end of season something the fans could cheer about instead.

Predicted finish: 9th

Star player: Ross McCormack

Breakout player: Peter Kekeris
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/cent...-than-a-usain-bolt/1qyds5b21fakl16dwkrzw6sh1w

pjennings

Somehow I think that MC will want something better than 9th after dipping into his pocket this season. Apart from that a pretty balanced article.

Tevor

9th and off the radar will do fine .
Frankley i think anything is possible.
The little team that could.
Agree, we are a real unknown this season. Is it the Nux they have predicted as 10th? Unlike last season there is no stand out poor squad with every team making shrewd purchases. There are always a couple of teams that will not click just hope we are not one of them. Agree with the Bolt assessment but hope it’s not just to give us something to cheer about at the end of the season. Every point this year will be crucial with what could be a very tight competition.

Wombat

TB,

I know you like your beer. Have you tried a Pint of Alehouse? Very nice drop available at the Cafe at Soccer 5s.

Btw....I saw Tommy H at the Food and Wine Festival at Gosford Racecourse and he looked fit as a fiddle.

sydmariner

EVENT CANCELLED: Family Day

Due to the poor weather expected this weekend, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Family Day event.

We understand the disappointment this brings, however it is a decision we have had to make in consideration of the safety of our Members and fans. We will be looking to provide another opportunity for engagement with the team later in the season.

Any Members wishing to pick up their Membership Packs prior to the first home game can do so at the following:

• MARINERS HQ: Open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm, we are located at Suite 302, 1 Bryant Drive Tuggerah.
  • AWAY DAY FUNCTIONS: We will be hosting an Away Day function on Sunday 21 October for our first match of the season - more details will be announced shortly.
  • HOME GAMES: Members will be able to collect their packs at the first 3 Home Matches (27 October, 4 November and 1 December)
Please ensure that you have your merchandise voucher to receive your items. For any questions regarding your Membership or merchandise packs please contact 02 4353 7200 or email memberships@ccmariners.com.au

BaysideMariner

EVENT CANCELLED: Family Day

Due to the poor weather expected this weekend, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Family Day event.

We understand the disappointment this brings, however it is a decision we have had to make in consideration of the safety of our Members and fans. We will be looking to provide another opportunity for engagement with the team later in the season.

Any Members wishing to pick up their Membership Packs prior to the first home game can do so at the following:

• MARINERS HQ: Open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm, we are located at Suite 302, 1 Bryant Drive Tuggerah.
  • AWAY DAY FUNCTIONS: We will be hosting an Away Day function on Sunday 21 October for our first match of the season - more details will be announced shortly.
  • HOME GAMES: Members will be able to collect their packs at the first 3 Home Matches (27 October, 4 November and 1 December)
Please ensure that you have your merchandise voucher to receive your items. For any questions regarding your Membership or merchandise packs please contact 02 4353 7200 or email memberships@ccmariners.com.au
Absolutely devastated but I fully understand as I work on the Peninsula and you may require a boat to get off it. I look forward to seeing what they decide to do.

Pirate Pete

Wooo Hoooo.

Just got an email to get my free cooler bag for being one of the first 3000 to sign up for membership.
No pic of said cooler bag. I'm going to be disappointed aren't I.

Tevor

Good work Bayside I was wondering what the member hat looked like this year. Looks good and glad they have kept the M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred