• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

dibo

Expect we'll see Powell up top and Fab in at CAM, Trent on the right, Bingers on the bench.
I like the idea of Powell up top. Play Berry at 10. Or even (don't shoot me) Neill - he played there once last year and was actually pretty handy.

Forum Phoenix

Ha, prefer him there than at. LB. I don't really remember him there, I did always prefer him when he was LM though. but he's not in the same class as Connor, Fab or other genuine wingers.

I'm wondering if the McGing experiment will continue...

We may well see Posc and Faty return to the squad based on Saturday.

Really not sure what our backline will be, Faty in for Rose the most likely change.

And possibly Berry in for McGing at DM.

Big Al

5 Mariners in Gombau training camp on Central Coast
Berry, Buhagiar, Galloway, Izzo and Rose

Josep Gombau has today named a 26-man Australian U23 squad for a three-day training camp, which will be held on the Central Coast, NSW from 30 January to 1 February.
The camp is the first part of preparation for the 2018 AFC U23 Asian Cup, which will stage its qualifiers in July 2017.

The squad is made up of players eligible for the 2018 AFC U23 Asian Cup and all 26 players are from Hyundai A-League clubs.

A second camp will be held in March in Europe and only involve overseas-based players unless agreed with any individual club for locally based players.

This camp and qualification for the 2018 AFC U23 Asian Cup is viewed as an important part of the development of the next generation of Socceroos by the National Team coaching staff, led by Coach Ange Postecoglou.

Hyundai A-League clubs were informed of the details of the camp last week and players were selected following the conclusion of the Round 16 Hyundai A-League matches over the weekend.

Players will arrive in Gosford in time to start training on Monday morning (30 January) and released from camp following training on Wednesday, meaning minimal disruption to the Hyundai A-League.

“This is the first step for us to qualify for the U23 Asian Cup in 2018,” Gombau said. “I’m excited to be working with these young players who are only one step away from playing with the Socceroos.

“Many of them are playing good football in the Hyundai A-League and we will be able to see them working together to start building the understanding required to succeed in the Asian Cup qualifiers and also observe how they train in the systems we want to play.

“Qualifying for Asian Cups and World Cups is an important part of the development of young players and for football in Australia and this camp is our first preparation opportunity leading into the July qualifiers.”

The Australian U23 team will take part in the AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers in July 2017 as they strive to qualify for the2018 AFC U23 Asian Cup, which takes place in China in January 2018.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/l...y_18n28l9xh7y8612n0vo3n1az64.jpg?t=-917134615

izzo-galloway_18n28l9xh7y8612n0vo3n1az64.jpg

Australian U23 squad for the three-day camp

Name

Club, Country

Daniel ARZANI

Melbourne City FC

Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS

Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Keanu BACCUS

Adam BERRY

Central Coast Mariners

George BLACKWOOD

Sydney FC

Trent BUHAGIAR

Central Coast Mariners

Devante CLUT

Newcastle Jets

Nicholas COWBURN

Newcastle Jets

Scott GALLOWAY

Central Coast Mariners

Benjamin GARUCCIO

Adelaide United

Paul IZZO

Central Coast Mariners

Lachlan JACKSON

Newcastle Jets

Bruce KAMAU

Melbourne City FC

Abraham MAJOK

Daniel MARGUSH

Adelaide United

Riley McGREE

Adelaide United

Jordan O’DOHERTY

Adelaide United

Liam ROSE

Central Coast Mariners

Kye ROWLES

Brisbane Roar FC

Lachlan SCOTT

Mario SHABOW

Jaushua SOTIRIO

Jordan THURTELL

Perth Glory

Ruon TONGYIK

Melbourne City FC

Brandon WILSON

Perth Glory

Liam YOULLEY

Head Coach: Josep Gombau

Assistant Coach: Ufuk Talay

Goalkeeper Coach: Peter Blazincic

This article was originally published at: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...-u23-training-camp/132e9ho0gyxy91qsreuef7yuoy.

- See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...9d9vsko7g8c18ntfix2d0dd5#sthash.NTWJ04fV.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...s9d9vsko7g8c18ntfix2d0dd5#vcIqMOTbpcje6uCc.99

Forum Phoenix

7 Wanderers HAL position 7th
5 from CCM HAL position 10th
4 from AU HAL position 9th
3 from Jest HAL position 8th
3 from City HAL position 3rd
2 from Perth HAL position 5th
1 from Bris HAL position 4th
1 from Syd HAL position 1st
0 from MV HAL position 2nd

Possibly an interesting correlation.

Only City belie it, but they would have the highest squad expenditure as well. Would be interested in seeing overall squad spends factored into this as well.

Could be argued that there is a heavy price to be significantly invested in youth.

Could argue that those with bigger budgets are not investing in talented youth.

Or the most talented youth are being drawn to the clubs where they are most likely to play.

Would Pain and Galloway have been selected if they were not picked up by us and had not played a minute at MV this year instead?

We struggle on field because we are more reliant on youth, then we get derided because we struggle on field, national call ups hurt us the most - given all five of our players are genuine first team players as well. Which means losing them to camp for the week will cost us the most.

Personally think it' a strong argument for the FFA putting in a bonus for clubs based on their contribution to our National set ups.

I expect FFA to be proud of their big city derby crowds and I appreciate their goal of higher viewing numbers and profile - so they financially get behind City/Cahill etc... it is good for the league as a whole. But the clubs developing the lions share of Australia's next generation of talent deserve support. What they're doing is good for Australian football as a whole. Also don't think having an incentive to play and develop young Australians would be a bad thing to have.

Last edited:

dibo

Kids get to play at weaker sides. They get to watch at strong sides.

Kids who play get picked.

nebakke

7 Wanderers HAL position 7th
5 from CCM HAL position 10th
4 from AU HAL position 9th
3 from Jest HAL position 8th
3 from City HAL position 3rd
2 from Perth HAL position 5th
1 from Bris HAL position 4th
1 from Syd HAL position 1st
0 from MV HAL position 2nd

Possibly an interesting correlation.

Only City belie it, but they would have the highest squad expenditure as well. Would be interested in seeing overall squad spends factored into this as well.

Could be argued that there is a heavy price to be significantly invested in youth.

Could argue that those with bigger budgets are not investing in talented youth.

Or the most talented youth are being drawn to the clubs where they are most likely to play.

Would Pain and Galloway have been selected if they were not picked up by us and had not played a minute at MV this year instead?

We struggle on field because we are more reliant on youth, then we get derided because we struggle on field, national call ups hurt us the most - given all five of our players are genuine first team players as well. Which means losing them to camp for the week will cost us the most.

Personally think it' a strong argument for the FFA putting in a bonus for clubs based on their contribution to our National set ups.

I expect FFA to be proud of their big city derby crowds and I appreciate their goal of higher viewing numbers and profile - so they financially get behind City/Cahill etc... it is good for the league as a whole. But the clubs developing the lions share of Australia's next generation of talent deserve support. What they're doing is good for Australian football as a whole. Also don't think having an incentive to play and develop young Australians would be a bad thing to have.

Worth noting as well, that players like Bruce Kamau was already getting game time at Adelaide, he was brought across specifically because they knew how he'd perform, not because they saw particular potential in him.
Same as Caceres in a sense - except they THOUGHT they knew how he could perform and in stead found that he performed much the same as for us ;)

I think it's really clear that, as Dibo says, the untried players are a much greater chance of game time at the smaller clubs, which is why the way the A-league is discussed int he community can be so frustrating.
Everyone forgot after season 1, that one of the key words when the A-league was setup, was development.
Really specifically they talked a lot about Australia qualifying for World Cups and performing on the world stage - and how a good local league was step one for fostering that development.
Obviously there has to bee a balance in order for it to be interesting for investers, but somewhere along the way, it has slipped from a development focus to a focus on increasing income for the FFA and growing club attendances for the bigger clubs, through the purchasing of expensive, established players.
Don't get me wrong, the clubs need a strong financial foundation, and experienced players help grow the youth players... They just don't do it as well when they're all focused in three teams, taking up spots from the youth players - which is why the salary cap needs to stay for now and why there is a limit on the number of marquees allowed.

Anyway /rant - it just frustrates me a bit sometimes.

FFC Mariner

What also happens is that these sides packed with kids lose a lot (hello) and they don't get offers. Hence they ask for a release.

Last edited:

Big Al

Kids get to play at weaker sides. They get to watch at strong sides.

Kids who play get picked.
Aaron Calver for SFC would be a good start. He has looked very good in his limited opportunities. Only played last two games with best team in the league.
Assume not picked as not seen as much by Gombau. He was stuck behind 3 good CB's. So FP not sure top teams are not investing in top youth just they are also invest in better players as well.
Who gets better development, Calver who trains with top quality MEN everyday or players who are playing but as brought up are used to a loosing culture?
I rate playing but it needs to be quality.
Look at our team, we are to youth heavy and struggle. Bring in Taveras and they all looked better. If you add a Senior CB with Taveras and a quality No10 and then we are less reliant on the youth but they get to play with better players and hence pick up better habits.

Interesting discussion

Either way I'd like to see what Gombau can do with this squad

Also be interested who he picks from the overseas talent for his European camp

nebakke

What also happens is that these sides packed with kids lose a lot (hello) and they don't get offers. Hence they ask for a release.
Some looming I hear

That seems like career suicide to me... If you're playing and not getting any offers, no matter how much you're losing, the one thing that'll REALLY bed that in, would be asking for a release with nowhere to go wouldn't it?

That's assuming that there's anything in what you've heard though, obviously, because the other thing is that most of them are off contract this season, as has already been discussed, and most of the ones who are playing, and who aren't off contract, have only recently signed or re-signed - with Storm rumoured to have turned down interest from Perth.

Not that I'm in the know about anything - clearly - just that a rumour of players asking for a release perhaps making sense for some of the kids that are on the periphery right now, such as Micky Neill and Bingham, but I don't see any of our playing youngsters likely to get a better level of playing time with better results following, elsewhere.

nebakke

Who gets better development, Calver who trains with top quality MEN everyday or players who are playing but as brought up are used to a loosing culture?
I rate playing but it needs to be quality.
Look at our team, we are to youth heavy and struggle. Bring in Taveras and they all looked better. If you add a Senior CB with Taveras and a quality No10 and then we are less reliant on the youth but they get to play with better players and hence pick up better habits.

This comes back to the Mitch Langerak discussion doesn't it? "Is it better to be benched for a Buli 1 club or to be playing every week for a Belgian Club?

At the end of the day, I suspect that losing with a good culture could be close to the best development a player can get... I was listening to the Santo, Sam & Ed podcast with Kevin Muscat yesterday. He commented briefly on the thing with Seb Pasquali and how he had pulled him from youth to firsts in part because, watching him play, he was so clearly a step above the rest.
What he said was that he is really aware that there's a risk that a quality player playing at a level below where they belong will start to develop bad habits because they can get away with it... Obviously there's a risk that they stop putting in the hard work as well. Makes sense I think.

I'm not saying that the current situation is the best option for our youth development, but there's an argument that there's experience to be gained from having to learn to keep your head up and fight through - combined with application being by far the best teacher.

Big Al

From 442
A-League strugglers Central Coast say they’ve been dealt a “double whammy” after striker Roy O’Donovan copped a one match ban following last week’s loss to Melbourne City.

The Irishman received a straight red early in the game after his raised arm made contact with City’s Michael Jakobsen in what coach Paul Okon described as a yellow at best.

On Monday the Match Review Panel imposed the minimum sanction for ‘serious foul play’, adjudging the striker was challenging for the ball.

But having lost O’Donovan for the bulk of Thursday's 2-1 loss in Melbourne, the league laggers will now be without their top goal scorer for Saturday’s crucial home fixture against a resurgent Perth Glory.

“Whilst we accept the decision and understand the process, this hurts as a double whammy,” Mariners’ CEO Shaun Mielekamp said.

“Not only did Roy miss out on 70 minutes against City but he now also misses an additional match.”

The Mariners declined to follow the lead of Melbourne Victory, who appealed Besart Berisha’s recent red card and had it successfully overturned.

Mielekamp added: “The MRP did what they could within the regulations they have before them and as a club we could not risk the possibility of missing Roy for an additional week if we put in an appeal for an obvious error that has such a high threshold.

“To ensure better consistency there should be parameters or avenues that protect the player and the club from being dealt a double blow.”

Last edited:

Big Al

From the club, see bold about inability to rescind the red.

Monday, 23 January 2017 -
@CCMariners
The Central Coast Mariners can today advise that the club will accept a one match ban for Roy O’Donovan resulting from an incident that occurred in Round 16 of the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season.
The independent Match Review Panel (MRP) – consisting of Simon Micallef (Chair), Alan Davidson, and Alan Contini – convened today to consider an incident involving Roy O’Donovan (Central Coast Mariners) that arose in or around the 23rd minute of Central Coast Mariners’ Hyundai A-League Round 16 match against Melbourne City FC on Thursday, 19 January 2017.

The MRP has the authority to consider the incident as the Player was expelled from the match by the Referee. The MRP determined that Roy O’Donovan committed the offence of “Serious foul play (e.g. when challenging for the ball)”.

The MRP has proposed a sanction of one match (the Mandatory Match Suspension), being the Minimum Sanction for the offence.

“Whilst we accept the decision and understand the process, this hurts as a double whammy,” Mariners’ CEO Shaun Mielekamp said. “Not only did Roy miss out on 70 minutes against City but he must serve the minimum additional match under the regulations.

The MRP have no grounds within the laws of the game to downgrade the card from Red to Yellow and an appeal for obvious error is only relevant if the action was deemed not to have been even a yellow. The club did not wish to risk the possibility of missing Roy for an additional week if we put in an appeal for an obvious error and it was unsuccessful.

“Whilst in our view Roy receiving a Red Card was excessive we note that the MRP determined only the minimum sanction was to be applied.” Mielekamp said.

O’Donovan will serve his one match suspension this Saturday when the Central Coast Mariners host Perth Glory at Central Coast Stadium.

The Central Coast Mariners will make no further comment on this matter.

- See more at: http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...x7gwuwu693m1bmvw8t3hf9a0#sthash.ep74u7hg.dpuf
Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...wx7gwuwu693m1bmvw8t3hf9a0#VYxzMxkPcmIlSzPl.99

Luca Brasi

Just checked out Luke De Vere's wiki site
Recently, De Vere was involved in a red card controversy where he fell over quicker than a 16yr old after drinking the spiked punch in a game against the Melbourne Victory. Despite De Vere's blatant cheating in getting marksmen Besart Berisha sent off, Melbourne Victory won the day

Fishsdad

Just checked out Luke De Vere's wiki site
Recently, De Vere was involved in a red card controversy where he fell over quicker than a 16yr old after drinking the spiked punch in a game against the Melbourne Victory. Despite De Vere's blatant cheating in getting marksmen Besart Berisha sent off, Melbourne Victory won the day

I love the analogy!
Given that this was officially deemed to be an 'obvious error', caused by De Vere's actions, shouldn't De Vere be cited for Simulation, and face suspension?

nebakke

I love the analogy!
Given that this was officially deemed to be an 'obvious error', caused by De Vere's actions, shouldn't De Vere be cited for Simulation, and face suspension?

That whole discussion has annoyed me as well... Looking at the replay I think DeVere clearly thought that Berisha had intentionally hit him, but the discussion between the two de-escalated pretty quickly until the ref/linesman got involved and Berisha refocused on the linesman.

I think DeVere copped it in the face, but I don't think there was any intention or even recklessness... I think it was just one of those things that happens in sports when people have to do semi-acrobatic moves around each other... Much like Roy trying to keep balance while jumping.

So the whole thing wouldn't have gotten any better by DeVere being punished, if anything it'd only make it worse, I reckon...

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
A bus load of us need to go to FFA HQ and call out Davey Gallop for being the clueless drop kick suck up he has always been

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred