• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Is Gumprecht going?

S

striker

Has the great Gumps decided to quit? or has decision been made for him?

Wombat

He wont quit but strong rumour that Sydney are after him.  Please god, he stays for at least one more season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will be leaving after the grand final.

Football Fever in the Telegraph today has a story about the situation titled 'Leaving with his head up'.

The story makes clear that Gumprecht is aware that he will not be at the Mariners next season but that he is very interested in playing several more seasons in the A-League.

Sadly our loss will likely become a big gain for another team. It seems that he wants more game time though and that is perfectly understandable... he is a high quality player and will probably end up being very successful wherever he goes next.

Sean

I dont understand this and alot of people off the forum dont either.
It will be sad to see one of our most creative players leave.

marinersman

I want him to stay but for me it's far more important we re-sign Tommy and JA.

I can live with Gumps going as long as the other two remain with us.

dibo

thread title changed to more accurately reflect the nature of the thread - clearly nothing's confirmed so it's just a question at this stage.

Alicia

Leaving with his head held high
By John Taylor

February 19, 2008 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23234053-5006068,00.html

WHILE Central Coast fans rate Andre Gumprecht as Mr Popular, he knows he's no longer a favourite with the people who count most at the club and he'll bid farewell to the Mariners after Sunday's grand final against Newcastle.

"Whoever picks me up will be a lucky club," the man they call "Gumps" said yesterday. "With the foreign players I've seen come into the league, I know I can play for another three years.

"All I want to do is play and not sit on the bench. I am this kind of guy."

Why Gumprecht has fallen out with coach Lawrie McKinna has been a talking point for some time now.

"Something has been going on behind the scenes. A bit of politics," Gumprecht insists. "It's been very disappointing but now is not the time to talk about it.

"It's all about the team and winning the grand final now."

Even though he sparked the Mariners when he came on as a substitute in the second leg of the major semi-final against Newcastle, replacing the injured Tom Pondeljak, Gumprecht doesn't know whether his performance was good enough to earn him a start at the SFS on Sunday.

"He (McKinna) is the boss, he has plans and if I'm to come off the bench again I'll give it everything. That's Andre Gumprecht, that's me. I am a team player," he said.

Coach McKinna didn't beat around the bush yesterday when he said of Gumprecht: "Other boys have played better than him. It's as simple as that.

"We won the league and we're in the grand final. The good thing about the Mariners is the depth in the squad. "Hutch (John Hutchinson) and Mile (Jedinak) have been most consistent in the middle (of midfield), Kwas (Adam Kwasnik) was third top goalscorer and Tommy (Pondeljak) was also playing well.

"Gumps has had to fight hard and, by sitting on the bench, he's put pressure on the others to perform. And they've done just that."

Gumprecht describes the closing season as one of "frustration and huge disappointment".

"Whether I've started or come off the bench, I've always given strong performances," he said. "It hasn't been easy but I've had to deal with it."

Asked for his most memorable moment since coming to Australia five years ago, he said: "This will be my fourth grand final. Does that tell you something?" He added: "I am a permanent resident now and naturally I'd prefer to continue playing in the A-League.

"It will be sad to leave the Coast but my wife is fully supportive of what I have to do as a footballer and I still have a lot to offer."

Gumprecht insists he has had no definite offers but it is believed Gold Coast Galaxy, hoping to be admitted to the league next year, have sounded him out.

S

striker

dibo said:
thread title changed to more accurately reflect the nature of the thread - clearly nothing's confirmed so it's just a question at this stage.

of course it's still a Q?........ but, I have heard that Gold Coast has an interest. 

p.s. I haven't read the story above re Galaxy when I posted this .... so it must be true if it's written in the Tele!

dibo

striker #9 said:
dibo said:

of course it's still a Q?........ but, I have heard that Gold Coast has an interest. 

p.s. I haven't read the story above re Galaxy when I posted this .... so it must be true if it's written in the Tele!
striker #9 said:
dibo said:
of course it's still a Q?
and that's why i changed the title - problem?

skilbeck

The day it is officially announced that he is leaving will be a sad day. I will still respect him wherever he goes and will never sing a chant against him

S

striker

It's unbelievable - every body loves him up there..... I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about Gumps!

neverwozza

There will be a lot of sad soccer mums down the pensinsular. I reckon he's got a head like a robbers dog myself but they all love him. Not a great thread leading into the GF :-[

rosko

Every single time that I have seen Gumps whether in the street or at the shops, he has always has the decency to say goodbye... I don't know that I want anyone else in the #6...

kevrenor

Grunta said:
I can't believe we'd do this to one of our greatest players
Lawrie over the years has gone more than the extra yard to stick by players and been criticised in the media. 

In the end sentiment can't come into putting the best balanced squad together ... and it's Lawrie's call.  I wouldn't be a coach for all the tea in China ... must be very stressful.

If Gumps moves on he will still be Marinators POTY V1, and should be given both stick and a drink after the game if we play Gold Coast or Sydney or whoever he goes to.

All we fans can do is support the team to Champions, and give anyone leaving a positive memory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred