• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Introduce yourself

dibo

kevrenor said:
grahamh said:
BTW - I can use 'there', 'their' and 'they're' in the right place. (Sorry, I'll go back to SMH C8).

Ah, a challenge to Dibo!

Not at all, it's nice to see people who can punctuate, conjugate and assonate* effectively.

*Sorry, it had to be done.

skilbeck

beavis-butthead-expands.PNG

ehuhuhuhuh ehuhuhuhuh

Atomic

skilbeck said:
~Floss~ said:
Who else but a Physicist would have a nerdy name like "Atomic"?

Not that nerdy Atomic, you shouldve gone with positron, neutrino or quark to be really nerdy

If I was going to be REALLY nerdy, I would've gone with a Forum name something like "Buckyball". A Buckyball, named in honour it's discoverer, Richard Buckminster Fuller, is a molecule consisting entirely of carbon atoms. It has 60 atoms, all bonded together to form a stable molecule in the familar spherical shape of a football! How EXCITING! :vhappy:

skilbeck

i prefer to refer to them as fullerenes. I love how a certain type of fullerene is shaped like a football i.e. C60 i think. As a chemical engineering student I have dealt with nanotube production. Nanotubes are similar to buckyballs except they are long cylindrical sheets instead of spherical: Here is a good picture of our friend the buckyball:

BuckyballEDU2.jpg

Atomic

Yep, Lyall and the boys missed a golden opportunity when naming the football side 3 years ago. We could've been called the Central Coast Fullerenes, and the Marinators could have called themselves the Buckyballs  :thumbup:

Oh well, hindsight is a wonderful thing  ;)

skilbeck

well next time i start a 6 a side team that gives me an awesome idea especially if its with fellow scientists and engineers.

That said we should start a thread on this board called "Nerd Stuff" where we can discuss carbon chemistry, nuclear physics and the like

T

thanman

skilbeck said:
well next time i start a 6 a side team that gives me an awesome idea especially if its with fellow scientists and engineers.

That said we should start a thread on this board called "Nerd Stuff" where we can discuss carbon chemistry, nuclear physics and the like

Skilly be Prof Farnsworth and create a team of atomic supermen.
It'll make me happy. Especially if one has a cannon in his chest.

dru

skilbeck said:

i would have to have a thread of it's own just to confuse those non nerdy types.

grahamh said:
Pointy and I went to Wellington last October, and we'll probably do some more away trips.

Now that was an away trip to remember! 3 yellow army and about 100 Yellow fever in one pub, then there was everyone outside. Definitely going back again

Pokes

Eh. I have a boyfriend who's doing a PhD in Physics. By now, I'm brilliant at nodding along and looking like I know what everyone's talking about.

Atomic said:
settling on Newcastle (unfortunate name) due to wife's family hailing from there. Favourite player was Juninho (I'm on a roll here  :)) due to his never say die attitude with Middlesborough

You do know they're big rivals right?

Anyway...

Forum name: UK Mariner I think.

Name called by your friends: Tom

Location: UK. Billingham to be precise, just North of Middlesbrough.

Background that you wish to reveal: Student, very Mathsy, and hope to spend a year (2010-11) in Australia as part of a university degree. Started supporting the Mariners at the start of this season because of an online 'Support an A-League team' campaign from another forum, and the Mariners seemed a good choice. Very similar to Middlesbrough (my supported team) in a few ways.

Interests, football and other: Well, erm, football - playing and spectating. I dunno really...

And for the record, I hate Physics.

~Floss~

UK, do you get to see many of the Mariners' games or just highlights? Are they often on TV or do you have to find what you can online?

Its mostly highlights off youtube, though I'm going to make the effort to try and see the GF live somewhere on the internet.

If I had the right TV package, I might be able to see Fox Sports, but I don't even have that :(

The rest of the UK is pretty much totally ignorant of any football outside Europe really.

Atomic

UK Mariner said:
Atomic said:
settling on Newcastle (unfortunate name) due to wife's family hailing from there. Favourite player was Juninho (I'm on a roll here  :)) due to his never say die attitude with Middlesborough

You do know they're big rivals right?

Yes, I know that now. Back in the early 90's when I was first getting into the EPL, I didn't realise the extent of the rivalry.

UK Mariner said:
Background that you wish to reveal: Student, very Mathsy, and hope to spend a year (2010-11) in Australia as part of a university degree. Started supporting the Mariners at the start of this season because of an online 'Support an A-League team' campaign from another forum, and the Mariners seemed a good choice. Very similar to Middlesbrough (my supported team) in a few ways.

Damn good choice! Just out of interest, I was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit more on why you choose the Mariners and the similarities with Middlesbrough... thanks.

UK Mariner said:
And for the record, I hate Physics.

WHAT???!!!

dru

Atomic said:
UK Mariner said:

Damn good choice! Just out of interest, I was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit more on why you choose the Mariners and the similarities with Middlesbrough... thanks.

Hope I'm not speaking out of turn but here are some from me:

A community team
Bigger teams close by that are rivals
A local derby with Newcastle
A youth academy that provides real chances of first team football
A commitment to local football.
A club that is willing to keep stability in it's coaching staff
Mammoth comebacks when playing opposition over two legs(our run into the EUFA cup final)

I just hope the Mariners don't have to wait 128 f@#king years to win the toliet seat.

mustapha_beer

Have been on this forum since near the beginning, but I think I've only ever met 2 of you in person - Auburn & Marinermick (both at the friendly V Blacktown)

Forum name: mustapha_beer

Given Name: Alastair

Name called by your friends (that's us): Alastair, Al, Ally, The Pict

Location: Baulkham Hills, not too far from kevrenor, and a few others, it seems......

Background that you wish to reveal: Scottish, from the not so famous town of Kilmarnock (Home of Johnnie Walker whisky). Have lived in Sydney for just over 6 years now.

Interests: Mainly football, having grown up watching Dundee United (we used to have a good team), although I also enjoy trying my hand at cooking when I have the time (no Jamie Oliver, mind.....)

Chose the Mariners because I was a season ticket holder at Northern Spirit for 3 years before. When the A-league isn't on, I usually go along and watch Blacktown City Demons, since it's only a 10-15 minute drive from my house. Will be joining one of the Baulkham Hills over 35's teams this year.

Music: New Order & Joy Division, plus a whole range of others from The Cure, Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead, through Morcheeba, Sade and quite a few pieces of Classical....really, almost anything except really heavy metal or dance music.

Travel: Lived and worked in Zurich for 2 years, so did a lot of travel around Europe, but have also worked in the U.S, so got to see a few places there, as well as 2 trips to Japan and my honeymoon last year in Vietnam. As far as Oz is concerned, haven't been to W.A, or S.A, although hoping to do the latter this year.

Work: Working in I.T in Sydney

gunners

troy

the shire (sutho shire)

got heaps of family in hunter and the mighty coast. played football all my life in every nsw league (nswpl, super, div 1) and have learnt alot from all. im a gooner also :p

FOOTBALL is everything

mariners4ever

UK Mariner said:
Its mostly highlights off youtube, though I'm going to make the effort to try and see the GF live somewhere on the internet.

If I had the right TV package, I might be able to see Fox Sports, but I don't even have that :(

The rest of the UK is pretty much totally ignorant of any football outside Europe really.

just found this on the 442 website that might intersest you UK mariner:

EXCLUSIVE: UK broadcaster BSkyB will show the Newcastle Jets versus Queensland Roar preliminary final live in the UK this Sunday.
And the UK-based broadcasting giant will also show the A-League grand final live from the SFS the following Sunday.

With a 6pm local kickoff, the match will be screened early Sunday morning in the UK.

The decision to broadcast the game live in the UK is another sign that Australian football is beginning to be taken seriously around the world. The match is also being broadcast live on Fox Sports in Australia.

The Jets are expecting a full house with a large contingent of traveling Roar supporters likely to make it an even more electric atmosphere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred