• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

HOME ELIMINATION FINAL (YEAH BABY!!!!) vs Cowbells United - match thread

scottmac

Suspended
That is true.

Scott, everyone is extemely proud of our team this season. The boys have been magnificent. And Staj is a God and should be the new Mayor of Gosford but we were toothless tonight and have been toothless for the last 6 to 8 weeks.

But our management are very smart and hopefully MC funds Staj to give us that special team because we are only 2 quality players away from winning this league.
Toothless maybe but they gave it their all. Everyone tried. They didn't meekly surrendered as others put it. Rowles legs even gave way on him at the end their. He left it all on the field and so too did the others. They certainly didn't deserve long supporting/suffering fans chastising them from the stands. Imagine being a player for THIS club and seeing a walkout on the final game of a season that they shouldn't have been able to deliver. I call it when they play like arse but that's not what happened last night. We just didn't match up to the opposition who had more experience and more skill in a finals match. We had one player who's played a finals match on the pitch last night.

They'll all be better for the exposure and let's hope they get the chance to go at it again next year with those couple of players who could make the difference.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I don't even think they had more skill - the 2nd half in particular I thought we were by far the better team. Experience and handling the pressure though, were the deciding factors. After we kept them to 0-0 at HT despite how many chance they created, I thought that put us in a better position than them going into the 2nd half - and we played like it, but it's just that crucial final option and finish we still lacked....and then the stress/panic built up without any calm, older heads on the pitch.

scottmac

Suspended
I don't even think they had more skill - the 2nd half in particular I thought we were by far the better team. Experience and handling the pressure though, were the deciding factors. After we kept them to 0-0 at HT despite how many chance they created, I thought that put us in a better position than them going into the 2nd half - and we played like it, but it's just that crucial final option and finish we still lacked....and then the stress/panic built up without any calm, older heads on the pitch.
When I talk about skill I immediately think of our passes into the box. It was even mentioned multiple times in the commentary that we could not afford to keep wasting the chances we got by poor crosses. Corners were poor, set piece delivery was poor and our crosses were atrocious. Until we have actual wing players who can put a ball onto the strikers head or foot we will remain a team that punches above its weight. I think Bouman and Stens are the only players to have crossed for a goal this season.

nikko

Suspended
I see a comment about having too much too drink, hell it was a 20-30 minute line up in all bars in the CCLC and the same in the stadium once we saw the queues we didn't bother. Archies I booked 4 day in advance was an absolute joke, my Surf and turf, the steak was like old boots and the vegetables all caramelized and cremated. That's the second time I have dined at Archies never again. They also managed to lose 2 chicken snitzel orders so mates went without. Really missed Baker Street Cafe
Did you use your Central Coast Leagues Club members card to receive the members discount?

Big Al

Was great to see a great crowd. The Yellow Army looked and sounded fantastic.
It was hilarious to see you Back from the pub. Sometimes simple things are the best. Very clever.

Eventually our lack of pure skill came to get us and it had been coming for the last part of the season.

Staj was way to defensive when we were a man advantage but who did he really have on the bench that he trusted?

We were relying on Hatch and Miller who between have played bugger all this season to put pin point crosses in. You saw the results. Half the squad needs to spend two hours a day practicing just this skill alone.

We had no true wingers in the squad and it hurt us.

Why is Staj swapping RB’s down a goal? We absolutely have the players to play 3 at the back. Especially when chasing a game.

Any way @LFCMariners i think your frustration was misdirected. It was purely a lack of skill not effort. If you hadn’t run off like most of the funs as unfortunately stated earlier you would have seen Birraz wiping away tears being consold by Matt Simon.
You would have seen DDS who many have questioned his heart at times drop to ground in disappointment. These players gave it a red hot crack. Maybe they just weren’t good enough maybe it was just bad luck. It doesn’t really matter because they gave 100%. That’s all we have wanted.
It’s semi finals football it’s never pretty never easy and the goal we conceed was bad positioning I agree but also some bad luck, a rebound can go anywhere but to one of the smallest players on the park for an open header just sucks and Nigro almost saved it. With more effort. Such a shame he couldn’t quite get enough of it to keep it out.

As for playing 10 men it’s just not that easy and effectively all that happens is the striker is removed so that they are still defending in two blocks of 4 and condense the pitch. We all year weren’t good enough to break that down.

I was proud of the players all season and the fans were fantastic last night. It just wasn’t our night.

Big Al

I see a comment about having too much too drink, hell it was a 20-30 minute line up in all bars in the CCLC and the same in the stadium once we saw the queues we didn't bother. Archies I booked 4 day in advance was an absolute joke, my Surf and turf, the steak was like old boots and the vegetables all caramelized and cremated. That's the second time I have dined at Archies never again. They also managed to lose 2 chicken snitzel orders so mates went without. Really missed Baker Street Cafe
Jack you only have yourself to blame. You State you have eaten there before so that is on you. The luke warm over priced chips at the stadium are better than Archies and that’s Archies on a quite Tuesday night wije a voucher and time for them to try to cook it.

It’s a shame because a place like that should be simple enough to have some good food but the club regularly stuff up food (except for the Chinese).

As for the drinks they actually didn’t do to bad a job and got the ques moving but just way to many thirsty Mariners.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

That is the conjecture and debate for sure but that was not my question to you.

My question was where in the laws does it state that it had to be a shot on goal as you typed?
Well, no, it's not conjecture. I provided you with the link and screenshot.

You provided the link that says a defender playing the ball nullifies offside unless it's a save.

I provided the definition of 'save'. Not sure how you're not connecting those two?

Sure, perhaps 'shot' wasn't technically accurate, but 99% of the time something that's considered a save is going to be a shot.

This through ball wasn't going into or very close to the goal, so it wasn't a save. therefore, the defender playing the ball nullifies the offside.

marinermick

Well, no, it's not conjecture. I provided you with the link and screenshot.

You provided the link that says a defender playing the ball nullifies offside unless it's a save.

I provided the definition of 'save'. Not sure how you're not connecting those two?

Sure, perhaps 'shot' wasn't technically accurate, but 99% of the time something that's considered a save is going to be a shot.

This through ball wasn't going into or very close to the goal, so it wasn't a save. therefore, the defender playing the ball nullifies the offside.

That’s okay, you are forgiven about your mistakes on stating the laws. It’s not as if you are a referee or anything.

Forum Phoenix

Yep. I'd say immense doesn't do it justice. MOM, with Birra a close second. I thought Harper was on the money with his comments about the two massive plays of Stenz just before half time (somewhere in the 30's minutes), that rallied the troops.
It was a big ask for Stenz to go to the front both physically and in terms of leadership in midfield due to Ollie's absence. In the circumstances I think he did very well and left nothing on the field. Perhaps a few others did not show up with their best games.
Ollie's loss as the leader was huge. That midfield partnership worked so well for us all season with the two complementing each other. It's a team game...
As has been said, our big issue has been the final third. Shit crosses, poor runs, crap passing, Urena has been a class above but mostly on his own.
This lack of strike power is not untypical of a building team: get the defence right, then midfield, then attack. Unfortunately (as noted earlier by someone) we may lose some of the backs and mids before we get good strikers.
To lose against 10 is disappointing, though I think luck was against us. That's football.
A great year though, something for everyone, coaches, players and fans, to be proud of.
Yeah look in hindsight going through the motions is a better way to sum it up than claiming they surrendered. With the man advantage I expected them to go in for the kill more, really exploit the gap in MFC's defence whether it's a static gap or a fluid one through MFC putting bodies in motion constantly to try and disguise the gap. But you can only disguise that gap for so long and the team with the man advantage (especially needing a goal) can either keep passing it back and forth hoping for an opportunity, or they can seize the opportunity. That "Finish him" killer instinct was everywhere last night bar on the pitch for the last half an hour of the game and this is what I meant by calling it a meek surrender.
Honestly, I wasn’t happy at not putting our foot on their throats at that point but thought we were tired and we needed fresh legs to help us go for the kill. Instead until the 88th minute they were the only ones utilising fresh legs and it nullified our extra man advantage.

Secondly, as per usual, we had no width, which is typically how you exploit your extra man advantage by switching the ball quickly and creating gaps. We failed at this unfortunately.

But the killer for me is our final ball. centrally... Danny had ring rust from his injuries and was mishitting them. Urena was our most dangerous but couldn’t quite make it happen.

Out wide we have no wingers and rely on our fullbacks, Nigro routinely butchers them, Jack has had a great season but his final ball was his weakest attribute by a mile still. Bouman also similarly failed to provide good final balls. We are and we’re very wasteful in this regard.

Stens put a great one into Kuols chest, but he slipped ?

Last edited:

greenlig

Couldn't look at the forums, too gutted. Upon reflection, love the team and the effort - what a season. Last night the issue with the squad was apparent; we're missing class and creative spark. Urena, DDS, Ollie, and Birra were top class, the rest too inconsistent.

All in all, the best season we've enjoyed in the better part of a decade. I'm praying to all the gods old and new that we keep Staj and the core of the squad for next year!

?
?

Pirate Pete

Couldn't look at the forums, too gutted. Upon reflection, love the team and the effort - what a season. Last night the issue with the squad was apparent; we're missing class and creative spark. Urena, DDS, Ollie, and Birra were top class, the rest too inconsistent.

All in all, the best season we've enjoyed in the better part of a decade. I'm praying to all the gods old and new that we keep Staj and the core of the squad for next year!

?
?
No, neither could I. Been avoiding it most of the day.
Turned on to watch the last 20 minutes of the other game today.
Then took a look at the forum.
And now fox are showing our game. Time to turn the computer off again!

onto it

Stens is getting owned in the middle
Disagree. Stenz won the ball back ten times in the first half. In comparison Nizz won it four times, not at all his usual standard.
Simon gave it away 9 times in the first half, but did not take 9 shots on goal. He was quite ineffectual,
Bouman and Hall both saw a lot of action and each lost the ball as often as they gained possession.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

When I talk about skill I immediately think of our passes into the box. It was even mentioned multiple times in the commentary that we could not afford to keep wasting the chances we got by poor crosses. Corners were poor, set piece delivery was poor and our crosses were atrocious. Until we have actual wing players who can put a ball onto the strikers head or foot we will remain a team that punches above its weight. I think Bouman and Stens are the only players to have crossed for a goal this season.
This. Could have saved myself a post,

Last edited:

JackMariner

Jack you only have yourself to blame. You State you have eaten there before so that is on you. The luke warm over priced chips at the stadium are better than Archies and that’s Archies on a quite Tuesday night wije a voucher and time for them to try to cook it.

It’s a shame because a place like that should be simple enough to have some good food but the club regularly stuff up food (except for the Chinese).

As for the drinks they actually didn’t do to bad a job and got the ques moving but just way to many thirsty Mariners.
I was giving Archies a second chance as I do with most places. One exception the bistro no longer at the CCLC. Several members of my family got food poisoning at that Bistro at CCLC. As far as the word chinese is concerned it is despised, not mentioned, thought or even eaten in our home. I remember my father in law who flew fighters in Korea for the RAF, whose funeral was paid for by the insistence of the RSL telling me the yellow peril is what you should be concerned about maybe not your lifetime but certainly your children's.

Last edited:

Wombat

I was giving Archies a second chance as I do with most places. One exception the bistro no longer at the CCLC. Several members of my family got food poisoning at that Bistro at CCLC. As far as the word chinese is concerned it is despised, not mentioned, thought or even eaten in our home. I remember my father in law who flew fighters in Korea for the RAF, whose funeral was paid for by the insistence of the RSL telling me the yellow peril is what you should be concerned about maybe not your lifetime but certainly your children's.
What the f**k are you on about you flog?
Save your racist shit for facebook not this forum.
We are here to talk about Football only.

JackMariner

What the f**k are you on about you flog?
Save your racist shit for facebook not this forum.
We are here to talk about Football only.
Are your eyes painted on, I said it is not mentioned thought about or eaten in our home? I do not and will not encourage others to follow us. Just like so many others you jump on the accusatory racist bandwagon. Btw I have read many subjects on this forum other than football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami