• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

HOME ELIMINATION FINAL (YEAH BABY!!!!) vs Cowbells United - match thread

LFCMariners

Your an idiot first, and you've either had too much to drink or you just need to see the replay without the red mist of live football.
What's there to see in the replay that is going to justify not just failing to score against 10 men for 40+ minutes of football, but conceding TWICE?

You think if SFC or City got dumped out of the finals like that they'd be going "Oh well but at least we had a good season"?

This isn't like the Adelaide game where you could rightfully claim CCM were dudded. Sure, there were some calls (including a penalty not given in the second half of extra time) that were harsh on CCM, but having an extra man on the field for almost an entire half's worth of time with the home crowd advantage and still bottling it is inexcusable.

Huddo

Also, Bouman's goal was an actual goal. The defender played at the ball which puts Bouman onside (he was a fair way offside from Simon's pass) I pointed out to someone earlier that we had a goal against us ruled out in the exact same circumstance against Sydney in April which would have lead to a loss. Harsh way to make up for it but that goal should have stood and we should have won in normal time.
Are you talking about the Bobo offside in the 2-2 draw, because that has to do with positioning, not touch

Forum Phoenix

Horrible game. Great season. Badly want to move on already but our off seasons are so god awful long and we typically hear crickets 99.9% of the time.

Thought our players, coach, staff and fans all deserved better than to go out like that. It was a great team effort this season but we still were 3 players worth of expenditure short of being able to win the lot.

Hoping we can keep enough of the core players that we can build off this, not have to go back the drawing board and backslide again.

Huddo

What's there to see in the replay that is going to justify not just failing to score against 10 men for 40+ minutes of football, but conceding TWICE?

You think if SFC or City got dumped out of the finals like that they'd be going "Oh well but at least we had a good season"?

This isn't like the Adelaide game where you could rightfully claim CCM were dudded. Sure, there were some calls (including a penalty not given in the second half of extra time) that were harsh on CCM, but having an extra man on the field for almost an entire half's worth of time with the home crowd advantage and still bottling it is inexcusable.
So the bouman call shouldn't be looked at?

scottmac

Suspended

This is football mate, and sometimes shit happens. It happened twice for Macarthur when we beat them as the second best team and it happened tonight where they defended well enough against 11 men as 10. For you to suggest the team laid down is horseshit and I can just guess the actual words that came out of your mouth for someone else to tell you to stay at home next year.

scottmac

Suspended
Are you talking about the Bobo offside in the 2-2 draw, because that has to do with positioning, not touch
It was exactly the same. Rowles ( I think) played at the ball and Bobo in an off side position scored from that touch. Exactly the same as tonight.

Old Spice

But we are not those teams though, we have nowhere near the resources or the players they have, we have a LB who has put 200+ balls into the box this year for 0 assists.
To say the players "just gave up" is really poor form. Did Stessness give up? the guy turned the game around for us. Did Nigro give up? he fought his heart out to stop that first goal.
+The second goal is irrelevant, have a look at the formation we came out with in the second half of extra time, it was 3 at the back and full out attack, no one gave up

scottmac

Suspended
Urena was huge tonight
But we are not those teams though, we have nowhere near the resources or the players they have, we have a RB who has put 200+ balls into the box this year for 0 assists.
To say the players "just gave up" is really poor form. Did Stessness give up? the guy turned the game around for us. Did Nigro give up? he fought his heart out to stop that first goal.
+The second goal is irrelevant, have a look at the formation we came out with in the second half of extra time, it was 3 at the back and full out attack, no one gave up
100%. LFC is just commenting in the fog of war and needs a bit of a chance to calm down.

midfielder

Tonight, showed how important Olly or similar is to our side… or any team for that matter that has such a young back line….and midfield…

I honestly through in the first half the kids got stage fright… big crowd, electric atmosphere, we failed to hold the ball… panic passing and down our right side we looked very suspect a better side would have put us to the sword especially in the first half…

The situation called for a clam leader, directing play and positions…. Sadly, Matty lost in and became emotional and while some see passion, HHHHmmmm its OK…. if you not captain and responsible for directing play and getting everyone back in the grove. Yelling and screaming at the ref does not get players into the game….

The second leader in the backs was on Socceroo call up, and he was missed as well…

Second half we seemed to be back to our old selves… however we lacked the skill to break them down, giving away way to much ball in and around their box…..

Through we should have got a pen but alas the Football gods saw differently…

Hand on heart not the other thing the Bay what can you say … guys you had the kids and everyone watching you… if we have another good year and you guys keep up tonight I can see you needing two bays…

TWAS disappointed tonight our forwards often did not seem in position when balls came across their goal….

Stens, IMO had the best game tonight he has ever played for us and without him in the first half in particular we would have been history by half time….

If we can hold the side together and add a little to it we should do well next year, but Olly, Nizzy, Stens & Rowles will be sort by other clubs… I hope we can use this as a building year…

Disappointed in how many Cows fans showed up and does make you wonder if they were the right team to choose for the expansion….

Great season overall…. Huge congrats to all involved and best IMO has been the growth of the Bay… as I said earlier if we have a good year next year I can see us needing two bays you were that good…

Wombat

Once again done with a lot of help by the ref who probably lives in Macquarie Fields

If he does....then he deserves it.
I must have watched a different game. I don't think we played that bad at all. We conceded a goal from a bad defensive mistake, we didn't have arguably our two best players out there. We sustained the pressure of the first half to come out and dominate them in the second. Yeah, we didn't score, but we had chances just lacked the final touch.
Mate we had 1 shot on target in 120 mins of Football. That is bad......that is VERY bad.

Huddo

It was exactly the same. Rowles ( I think) played at the ball and Bobo in an off side position scored from that touch. Exactly the same as tonight.
Nickvioc was in the OS position off the foul, before the rowles plays at the ball impact rowles immediate decision making in defence.
Look at clisby Rd 18 Brissie vs mariners, gilphery was played on by clisby because clisby played at the ball.

LFCMariners

Tonight, showed how important Olly or similar is to our side… or any team for that matter that has such a young back line….and midfield…

I honestly through in the first half the kids got stage fright… big crowd, electric atmosphere, we failed to hold the ball… panic passing and down our right side we looked very suspect a better side would have put us to the sword especially in the first half…

The situation called for a clam leader, directing play and positions…. Sadly, Matty lost in and became emotional and while some see passion, HHHHmmmm its OK…. if you not captain and responsible for directing play and getting everyone back in the grove. Yelling and screaming at the ref does not get players into the game….

The second leader in the backs was on Socceroo call up, and he was missed as well…

Second half we seemed to be back to our old selves… however we lacked the skill to break them down, giving away way to much ball in and around their box…..

Through we should have got a pen but alas the Football gods saw differently…

Hand on heart not the other thing the Bay what can you say … guys you had the kids and everyone watching you… if we have another good year and you guys keep up tonight I can see you needing two bays…

TWAS disappointed tonight our forwards often did not seem in position when balls came across their goal….

Stens, IMO had the best game tonight he has ever played for us and without him in the first half in particular we would have been history by half time….

If we can hold the side together and add a little to it should do well next year, but Olly, Nizzy, Stens & Rowles will be sort by other clubs… I hope we can use this as a building year…

Disappointed in how many Cows fans showed up and does make you wonder if they were the right team to choose for the expansion….

Great season overall…. Huge congrats to all involved and best IMO has been the growth of the Bay… as I said earlier if we have a good year next year I can see us needing two bays you were that good…
Bingo. A team aspiring to win silverware or even go deep into the finals doesn't do the things you put in bold.

scottmac

Suspended
Nickvioc was in the OS position off the foul, before the rowles plays at the ball impact rowles immediate decision making in defence.
Look at clisby Rd 18 Brissie vs mariners, gilphery was played on by clisby because clisby played at the ball.
That's not how it was called Huddo that's how you saw it. It was called as Bobo being off side, exactly the same as tonight.

Wombat

For those whinging about our teams effort, just remember, they brought on Ivan Franjic, ex socceroo and winner of multiple ALeague titles. We brought on Lewis Miller...........
That is true.

Scott, everyone is extemely proud of our team this season. The boys have been magnificent. And Staj is a God and should be the new Mayor of Gosford but we were toothless tonight and have been toothless for the last 6 to 8 weeks.

But our management are very smart and hopefully MC funds Staj to give us that special team because we are only 2 quality players away from winning this league.

JackMariner

Also can someone that watched at home explain how close Boumans goal was to on side
At the stadium in real time seemed perfectly fine and the big screen looked perfectly fine. Tight, but fine.
It was on side I saw a deflection from a Methcarthur player to Bouman, I had my binoculars with me but that's what you get with a cyclops ref.

Last edited:

pjennings

Can't exactly remember the game but if it's the one I am thinking of the difference is that the ball from Ninkovic was heading towards the goal, though only dribbling and Birraz would have picked it up. There is no way Meredith's attempt could be considered a save so therefore Bouman should not have been considered to have gained an advantage..

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

The ref had 3 big decisions to make.

The Bouman goal - wrong
The Meredith sendoff - right
Clisby's tackle - should have had an early shower.

Simply if the goal stood we probably would have won. It didn't and we weren't good enough on the night to use the man advantage. A sorry way to go out but a season that has restored pride in the club. Staj has done wonders and most of the players have performed at a level above what was expected.

Good luck to Alou overseas. I hope he makes the most of the opportunity he has and Stuttgart seem to be a good development club. I know that many think it is too early - but as a player you can't control when the chances come.

Last edited:

Ads

Yeah, you see the 10 man syndrome all the time and we cross and flick and chip and try the usual things against the parked bus.

We really needed again a change in tactics or outside the box thinking from Staj that didn’t really come.

We really needed Hatch front and centre for longer to run at them and unfortunately even play for someone taking us down in the box if we have to.

But most are just summing up it was a good year I understand that but I feel you in the fact it was literally 45 minutes + added time against 10 men.
That’s a feckin long time of going through the motions.

Ancient Mariner

I have been quietly reading all these posts and waiting until I had a clear head before saying anything.
Last night I was massively disappointed but not annoyed.
Last night no one in a Mariners shirt gave up or gave less than their all.
Our team finished 3rd in the premiership, far above other squads with players with more experience, ability and quality. They got there by playing above their skill/experience level all season. All our young players will be that much better next year and again the year after.
To play well enough to achieve what they have is a massive achievement but it is not enough to win consistently week in and win trophies and most importantly the magic cannot always be produced on demand. Mistakes are made, miracle passes do not come off.
Sometimes effort and guts is enough to beat skill and experience, sometimes it is not. Last night was one of those times.
Thanks to all the players and staff who gave us a season far greater than any of us here could have expected or even hoped for.
I cannot, and indeed refuse to criticise anyone for last nights loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb