• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Gumps and Osman Re-sign

Bear

Wombat said:
......now Bear mark my words.....now that he is being given respect your will see a fantastic season from the little German, so prepare to start eating cotton.

Read my quote again......

Now again......

How many game will gumps start AND finish on the pitch this year? 1 or 2, at the most probably. I stand by my comment of we wont win when he starts and finishes, simply because he probably wont ever be required to start and finish

Deej

Bearinator said:
Wombat said:
Bearinator said:
As a person, you wont meet a nicer bloke around, but we wont win a game this year where Gumps starts and finishes the game on the park, and ill eat my shirt if we do

Crock of shit.

LOL how did we ALL KNOW that you would come through with a comment like this

I had no idea Bear ???

Let's all hope that from an attacking position Gumps can contribute more than 2 goals and 8 assists that he's given us in 51 HAL appearances.  I think all Mariners can agree with that!

marinersman

Deej, they are terrible statistics. Tommy used to do better than that in half a season.

I do wonder if legal advice "suggested" we re-sign him?

Sacko

2 good signings for the roles they will play in the squad.
1 an up and coming attacking right back to balance Heff on other flank.
The other proven HAL player who will provide good back up to the squad to cover when Hutch gets injured and Jedi is suspended. And is a jolly nice chap!

dibo

Wombat said:
The resigning of Gumps is a real winner for both club and player. Gumps was in the shit once Gold Coast didn't get up as that was his plan once he was on the outer.

Lawrie felt that Gumps at 33 wasn't worth another contract on the big bucks he was on so started to slide him out of the team which caused the bust up between them, as Gumpey knows that he's better than most in the squad and felt slighted.

The reality is that MAYBE due to age he doesn't warrant a start but his quality and drive will ALWAYS improve us once he comes on. Defensive middies are two a penny and anyone can pass the ball square....but not many drive forward with pace and make space and create openings like Gumpy does......now Bear mark my words.....now that he is being given respect your will see a fantastic season from the little German, so prepare to start eating cotton.

when was the last time football shirts were made of cotton? 1966? FFS...

one day you'll open your other eye and have a bit of a squiz at some of the other players in our list. there are several who justifiably kept gumps out of the starting lineup last year, one of whom sadly has crossed the ditch this season.

assuming gumps is on a fair bit less money, he's a good value buy for what he can provide, but passing time cannot be ignored, particularly for a player whose best asset is bustle.

Aden

dibo said:
Wombat said:
The resigning of Gumps is a real winner for both club and player. Gumps was in the shit once Gold Coast didn't get up as that was his plan once he was on the outer.

Lawrie felt that Gumps at 33 wasn't worth another contract on the big bucks he was on so started to slide him out of the team which caused the bust up between them, as Gumpey knows that he's better than most in the squad and felt slighted.

The reality is that MAYBE due to age he doesn't warrant a start but his quality and drive will ALWAYS improve us once he comes on. Defensive middies are two a penny and anyone can pass the ball square....but not many drive forward with pace and make space and create openings like Gumpy does......now Bear mark my words.....now that he is being given respect your will see a fantastic season from the little German, so prepare to start eating cotton.

one day you'll open your other eye and have a bit of a squiz at some of the other players in our list. there are several who justifiably kept gumps out of the starting lineup last year, one of whom sadly has crossed the ditch this season.

assuming gumps is on a fair bit less money, he's a good value buy for what he can provide, but passing time cannot be ignored, particularly for a player whose best asset is bustle.

i agree with dibo  and as much of a gumps  fan as i am i think ppl are getting confused and caught up between gumps the footballer and gumps ther person . some are  letting there feelings for gump off the field for those who knew him interfere with ur judgement for whats best for the team .. gum =  great guy and great player.  times last year he came on off the bench  he lighted up the game  including  the GF . but  i agree with dibo  , there is no way he  was goin to start ahead of jedi  and also  hutch who had his best season to date  playing along  side jedi in CM

jaypee

Aden said:
dibo said:
Wombat said:

i agree with dibo  and as much of a gumps  fan as i am i think ppl are getting confused and caught up between gumps the footballer and gumps ther person . some are  letting there feelings for gump off the field for those who knew him interfere with ur judgement for whats best for the team .. gum =  great guy and great player.  times last year he came on off the bench  he lighted up the game  including  the GF . but  i agree with dibo  , there is no way he  was goin to start ahead of jedi  and also  hutch who had his best season to date  playing along  side jedi in CM

Totally agree - fact is Both Kwas and when he is fit Greg O are better to start games than Gumps is. Gumps is fantastic of the bench and if he has resolved his issues and agrees that he is an impact player (and plays that way) then yes he is the right guy for us. He absolutely lifts the team (and crowd) the same way Matt Simon does.... (ok no comparisons about shooting etc....)

Paolo

jaypee said:
Aden said:
dibo said:
Wombat said:

Totally agree - fact is Both Kwas and when he is fit Greg O are better to start games than Gumps is.
but but but but....we would have won the GF if gumprecht started....*insert further whinging*

priorpeter

Wombat said:
Defensive middies are two a penny and anyone can pass the ball square....but not many run around with lack of purpose and pull out of tackles like Gumpy does......

fixed.

Deej

priorpeter said:
Wombat said:
Defensive middies are two a penny and anyone can pass the ball square....but not many run around with lack of purpose and pull out of tackles like Gumpy does......

fixed.

:goodpost: LOL

Fingers crossed after Lawries and Gumps chat he will lift his game.  I have no doubt that both would have put everything on the table and sorted their differences, Gumps has taken a few things on board and hopefully will become a better player for us in V4. He's certainly fitter than he was last season from what I have heard

Jeff (LouMacari)

spoke to him on the weekend and there's no doubt this whole saga has fired him up. I'd like to think we're going to be pleasantly surprised when he gets on the park.

greenpoint

The latest email newsletter from Football NSW contains a link to a nice little interview with Gumps. Hope this weird URL works:

http://www.footballnsw.com.au/index.php?id=17&tx_ttnews[pS]=1216607392&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1003&tx_ttnews[backPid]=16&cHash=48f13527e3

greenpoint

Nah, forget that weird little URL. I'll just post it myself:

The Resurrection of Andre GumprechtCompleted
21.07.08 12:23

Central Coast Mariners' Andre Gumprecht

In his third season with the Central Coast Mariners, cult hero Andre Gumprecht suffered political crucifixion at the hands of domestic and international media.

The ex-Bayer Leverkusen and Lecce player was at the centre of controversy after he appeared at a Central Coast Mariners costume party dressed at Adolf Hitler his East-German nationality fuelling unreserved criticism from around the world.

Suddenly, the man who had been the driving force of the Mariners midfield throughout their short existence, found himself subjugated to the substitute bench for the remainder of the campaign. His last appearance in the familiar yellow of the Central Coast would be a cameo role, coming off the bench in the closing stages of the Mariners 1-0 Grand Final loss to rivals the Newcastle Jets.

After winning an NSL Championship with the Perth Glory and appearing in two A-League Grand Finals with the Central Coast, it appeared as though Andre Gumprechts Australian career was dead for reasons suggested to be more politically motivated than football-related.

But what followed was a miraculous resurrection of the forgotten man of Australian football. His savior: the Bankstown City Lions.

It would the the Lions humble abode of Jensen Park where the East-German would set about proving himself as a footballer, with a string of energetic performances almost inspiring Bankstown to a finals berth.

However, Gumprechts labour in the Telechoice Premier League was enough to earn the popular figure a one-year contract with the Central Coast Mariners for the fourth season of the A-League.

Though Peter Tsekenis side missed out on a Top 5 place, one man will always have special memories of a club who would not discriminate or stereotype and who appreciated that the most important talk in football is done on the pitch, with two feet and a ball

This week, Football NSW catches up for perhaps the last time with the whole-hearted and extremely grateful Andre Gumprecht.

FNSW: Andre, you seemed down and out after the controversy surrounding your last season in the A-League. How important was playing for Bankstown?

AG: During the Premier League season I wanted to show that I could play in the A-League and Im very thankful to the Bankstown City Lions, who allowed me to be in the shop-window and to be in a team environment when the A-League wasnt on.

I needed something to stay fit and Bankstown gave me the opportunity. Im very pleased at the moment and Im very glad the Mariners came along and signed me up again.

FNSW: Your demotion to the bench and eventual exile from the Mariners was shrouded in uncertainty. It was suggested that your personal turmoil was motivated more by politics than football. Any comment?

AG: At the end of the day the coach makes the decision and whether it is right or wrong, you are an employee and have to deal with the decision that is made.

It will be the same approach from me in the future, because we have a boss and he makes the decisions which we must go along with. Whatever happens, Im going to do the best in any situation Im facing.

It obviously took a little bit longer for the Mariners to make their mind up but Im very happy that they decided to take me on board again. Im really looking forward to having another successful year with the Mariners.

FNSW: Now that you are back with the Mariners, do you have any idea of what role you will play in the side?

AG: The Mariners say they will give me a fair chance and the rest is up to me.
In any professional environment, youre not walking in and getting gifts. You have to prove yourself, train hard, perform well and you will be picked and this applies to any player coming in to the club.
We have been talking to each other about what we are expecting. We have to get on with the job as quickly as we can.
I had my first training session the other morning, it went really well and Im happy to be back in a professional environment.

FNSW: You have signed for the Mariners for one year. What does the future hold for you beyond that?

AG: All I want to do is to stay fit and prove my ability to play in the A-League and whatever comes after that is a little too far ahead to predict.

But I plan to play football for at least another three years.

FNSW: Andre Gumprecht, thanks for your time, weve enjoyed watching you in the Telechoice Premier League this season and good luck for the future.

AG: Thank you very much.

-By Chris Paraskevas

bikinigirl

greenpoint said:
The ex-Bayer Leverkusen and Lecce player was at the centre of controversy after he appeared at a Central Coast Mariners costume party dressed at Adolf Hitler his East-German nationality fuelling unreserved criticism from around the world.

Suddenly, the man who had been the driving force of the Mariners midfield throughout their short existence, found himself subjugated to the substitute bench for the remainder of the campaign.

. interesting that the event which caused gumpy to sit on the bench was actually after the grand final  ::) (i don't think i have taken that out of context)

Arabmariner said:
That's a polite and roundabout way of saying I had the c**ts by the balls legally!

. or perhaps it just means that his future with the club is no longer linked to a 3 year old contract

brett

bikinigirl said:
greenpoint said:

Suddenly, the man who had been the driving force of the Mariners midfield throughout their short existence, found himself subjugated to the substitute bench for the remainder of the campaign.

. interesting that the event which caused gumpy to sit on the bench was actually after the grand final  ::) (i don't think i have taken that out of context)

Very lazy reporting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred