• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Gumps and Osman Re-sign

Mariner Girl

Woke up this morning and saw this fantastic news....

Gumprecht and Osman re-sign for season four assaultWednesday, 9 July 2008

Central Coast Mariners The Central Coast Mariners’ playing stocks for the forthcoming Hyundai A-League season were today boosted by the re-signings of foundation squad members Andre Gumprecht and Matthew Osman, with both signing on with the yellow and navy for one year.

Gumprecht and Osman have each contributed significantly to the Mariners’ history to date, with Gumprecht registering 69 competitive appearances and four goals in Mariners colours over three seasons, while Osman has made 52 appearances and netted three goals.

Gumprecht has been a cornerstone member of the Mariners’ success since their inception – making an appearance in each of the Mariners’ marquee fixtures over the years including the 2006 and 2008 Hyundai A-League Grand Finals, the 2005 and 2006 Pre-Season Cup showpieces and the final of 2005’s Club World Championship qualifying series.

Osman loomed as one of the Mariners’ key figures of season three before suffering an anterior cruciate ligament tear in training last October – an injury that would ultimately sideline the former youth international until as recently as one month ago.

Having recovered fully from this major setback, Osman has begun contributing to the Mariners’ pre-season trial match program and is soon expected to be capable of completing ninety minutes.

"We’re delighted to have been able to secure Andre and Matthew, two proven performers in the Hyundai A-League, for our 2008/09 campaign," said Mariners Executive Chairman Lyall Gorman.

"Each have shown enough quality in previous seasons to warrant their chance to prove themselves in Mariners colours in season four and with Andre and Matthew’s confirmed inclusions, we have taken a significant step in ensuring that our line up for the new season is capable of emulating and surpassing the feats of our last campaign."

Gumprecht, born in Jena in Germany’s central east, ensures a continental flavour will remain with the Mariners’ 2008/09 line up.

With extensive European experience, which includes stints at Bundesliga heavyweights Bayer Leverkusen and US Lecce of Italy’s Serie A, Gumprecht brings a cosmopolitan shine to the Mariners’ squad to couple with his rock star like following at Bluetongue Stadium.

"There was some deliberation regarding my future at the Mariners throughout the off-season, but it has always been my number one preference to stay on the Central Coast and play for the Mariners club, the coaching staff, my team-mates and for the Members and supporters at Bluetongue Stadium," said Gumprecht.

"I have been in open and honest dialogue with Lawrie McKinna for quite some time now and I’m delighted that we are both on the same page and that we have come to an agreement that will see me represent the Mariners for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season."

24-year-old Osman arrived on the Central Coast from the NSW Premier League, where he had enjoyed a short stay at Penrith Nepean United during the downtime between the last ever National Soccer League (NSL) season and the inception of the Hyundai A-League.

In the NSL, Osman had been a bit part contributor to the Northern Spirit’s final two campaigns, during which time he made several appearances for the Qantas Young Socceroos (Under 20’s) during their quest for qualification for the 2003 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

"The last year was obviously a frustrating one for myself given the problems with my knee, but that is all behind me now and I’m very happy to have signed on for the forthcoming season," said Osman.

"I’ve been at the Mariners for four seasons now and I’ve never seen the atmosphere at training so positive and eager to commence a new campaign and I’m no different – I can’t wait to get started."

With Gumprecht and Osman’s re-signings, the Mariners now have 18 contracted players for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season, including new recruits Adrian Caceres, David D’Apuzzo, Ahmad Elrich and Dylan Macallister.

The Mariners’ pre-season trial match program continues in the nation’s capital this Saturday, 12 July, with a fixture against Hyundai A-League rivals the Newcastle Jets at Canberra Stadium. Kick off is at 1pm.

:pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :eek:verhead: :eek:verhead: :eek:verhead:

Yellowbeard

Wow, what a shock that is. Guess we all love Gumps again now :eek:

Really looking forward to seeing osman play this year, he was outstanding at the start of last season :eek:verhead:

Paolo

Would have preferred that we didnt sign a player which has just spent time training with newcastle trying to get a contract.

He better be on significantly less then before

georgemladenov

keensy said:
Would have preferred that we didnt sign a player which has just spent time training with newcastle trying to get a contract.

Gumprecht has been fairly solid in his NSWPL stint. I'd say those performances put faith back into the coaching staff, rather than training with Newcastle for one week (rather than Bankstown).

I'm both shocked and pleased that he's back on board.

Atleast now I have the chance to get him to sign all my Mariners gear on Sunday afternoon as well!

bikinigirl

. perhaps the gumpy re-signing was influenced by the defection of kwas and the injury concerns of owens

. will be interesting to see how well his relationships between the management and other players go throughout the season. his relationship with the majority of fans is generally not in question

JamesH

Interesting move by the club, especially the Gumprecht decision. Hope there's no bad blood between them!

Arabmariner

I can't see him being used as anything but an "impact" player coming off the bench during the 2nd half.
Not unhappy to see him back, as a squad member he will be useful, but he's not the player he was 3 years ago.

Ted

As I said in another thread, I am stoked to see him remain a Mariner for another season.

I'd say in the best interests of the team and a successful season, all differences between Gumpy and management will have been dealt with accordingly. They don't want to start a new season with any animosity still in the air.

jaypee

I am ok with the fact he has re - signed, shocked as well but hey...

Have to agree that he can only be seen as an impact player and to be honest when he was used that way last season he gave the team a lift....

Mariner Girl

jaypee said:
I am ok with the fact he has re - signed, shocked as well but hey...

Have to agree that he can only be seen as an impact player and to be honest when he was used that way last season he gave the team a lift....

Totally agree. We need a strong squad, not just a starting 11. Gumps is the perfect impact player for us. I feel so much more comfortable knowing he is still part of the squad.

Ted

I disagree with him being 'just an impact player'. The fact he was last season was probably more due to positional play than due to his onfield ability. We are a different squad this season, so who knows how players will be utilised..

Paolo

georgemladenov said:
keensy said:

Gumprecht has been fairly solid in his NSWPL stint. I'd say those performances put faith back into the coaching staff, rather than training with Newcastle for one week (rather than Bankstown).
no, i meant as a personal point of view i don't like the club signing players who had just been training with our main rival trying to get a contract up there

Ted

keensy said:
georgemladenov said:
keensy said:

no, i meant as a personal point of view i don't like the club signing players who had just been training with our main rival trying to get a contract up there

I hold no ill will for that and was it a PR ploy? Did he do it to remain a Mariner? (If so it worked).
Was the 'law suit' a PR thing, dunno, the fact he has proven his ability, stamina and skill in the NSWPL should be enough for us to get behind him and show our support.

Whether he is an impact or a starting player means little.

Also there is nothing wrong with being an 'impact' player and this person is just as vital to a teams success as one of the starting eleven.

Bring it on!

Arabmariner

MarinaTed said:
keensy said:
georgemladenov said:
keensy said:

I hold no ill will for that and was it a PR ploy? Did he do it to remain a Mariner? (If so it worked).
Was the 'law suit' a PR thing, dunno, the fact he has proven his ability, stamina and skill in the NSWPL should be enough for us to get behind him and show our support.

Whether he is an impact or a starting player means little.

Also there is nothing wrong with being an 'impact' player and this person is just as vital to a teams success as one of the starting eleven.

Bring it on!
If he can come off the bench and have an influence like the semi final against the scum that will do me!
As long as we have salary caps we will have players who are no more than squad players at best.I suppose it's a case of juggling the funds, the cap and who's available at what price etc to build a decent squad.

Bear

As a person, you wont meet a nicer bloke around, but we wont win a game this year where Gumps starts and finishes the game on the park, and ill eat my shirt if we do

Yellowbeard

Bearinator said:
As a person, you wont meet a nicer bloke around, but we wont win a game this year where he starts and finishes the game on the park, and ill eat my shirt if we do

That's saved for future reference ;-)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred