• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Give Nik another go

MARSHP1

Fit and in form Nik would be one of the best strikers in this comp. He has had more than his share of bad luck and seems to cop alot of unjust critisism ( some of it is fair but mostly not). Anyone coming back from a series of injuries will struggle and most don't regain their former glory.Keep him in the yoof for another 3/4 weeks, if he keeps scoring then put him back in the first team. One thing is for sure, he is playing for his football career at the moment so doesn't need any more motivation. If he doesn't produce close to his best in the next few months he'll be gone.

masmariner

MARSHP1 said:
Fit and in form Nik would be one of the best strikers in this comp. He has had more than his share of bad luck and seems to cop alot of unjust critisism ( some of it is fair but mostly not). Anyone coming back from a series of injuries will struggle and most don't regain their former glory.Keep him in the yoof for another 3/4 weeks, if he keeps scoring then put him back in the first team. One thing is for sure, he is playing for his football career at the moment so doesn't need any more motivation. If he doesn't produce close to his best in the next few months he'll be gone.

Time to delete this thread not worthy of spot on the forum.

greenlig

MARSHP1 posted one of the most level headed posts in this topic and you say that masmariner?

We know what he can produce when fit and firing, and if he were to return to that, I am sure we would love to have him on board. Some people are so freaking harsh around here! He has been shit in the last few years, but almost all of that is injury based. You can't blame a guy for being injured, and playing poorly cause almost all of the vocal fanbase give him shit and wont take a punt on him. He has his head down, and if he can get it back up and find some form, he will be good.

This is a forum, it's meant to be a place to put forward ideas, not to parrot.

masmariner

greenlig said:
MARSHP1 posted one of the most level headed posts in this topic and you say that masmariner?

We know what he can produce when fit and firing, and if he were to return to that, I am sure we would love to have him on board. Some people are so freaking harsh around here! He has been shit in the last few years, but almost all of that is injury based. You can't blame a guy for being injured, and playing poorly cause almost all of the vocal fanbase give him shit and wont take a punt on him. He has his head down, and if he can get it back up and find some form, he will be good.

This is a forum, it's meant to be a place to put forward ideas, not to parrot.

I guess then it's your idea to give him a go how long would you like three more years or longer. ?
Sorry to be so harsh how dare we expect him to score goals lets just wait till his good and ready and if he doesnt produce we'll make some more excuses in another three years we'll have plenty more like "he's over the hill".
Has he been injured all season what do you mean by "You can't blame a guy for being injured, and playing poorly" which bit are you talking ABOUT the playing poorly bit yeah that's right it's not his fault.
Greenlig how about you pay his wages put your money where your opinion is. 

MARSHP1

Well....i suppose the way to look at this is if he comes good then it's all good, if he doesn't it's goodbye Nik. Anyone who was watching him at the beginning of season 1 and 3 (i think) would be able to see what a good player he can be. Obviously his confidence is low and it isn't helped by all the abuse he is getting. If he gets his confidence back and can stay fit then he is still young enough to have 2 or 3 more seasons for us. It's worth remembering that we have stuck by a few others that have gone through injuries/suspensions and they have come good(Boogs,Danny,Osman,Heff). Give him a fair shot this year as it's the only time he's been injury free for us.If still no good.....he's gone.

krusty

I do remember about 2 seasons ago everybody wanting to get rid of Matty because he was not scoring and now you all want to have his babies. When Nik starts scoring goals again all you guys are going to have egg on your face and you better make a big banner saying sorry Nik. I also recall not that long ago everybody wanting to sack Lawrie. If you dont like the players or the coach go and follow sydney they change players and coaches every season.

Paolo

krusty said:
I do remember about 2 seasons ago everybody wanting to get rid of Matty because he was not scoring and now you all want to have his babies. When Nik starts scoring goals again all you guys are going to have egg on your face and you better make a big banner saying sorry Nik. I also recall not that long ago everybody wanting to sack Lawrie. If you dont like the players or the coach go and follow sydney they change players and coaches every season.
4 years on a very very very big wage with very little return suggests that peoples anger is justified.

FFC Mariner

I dont think anyone would argue that when fit and inform, Mrdja had the ability to carve the HAL.

Indeed, he got a Socceroo call up on the strength of it.

Sadly, it seems he cant get back to that level. Whether thats an issue of attitude, fitness or a combination, I dont know.

As for swapping Sasho for Kwas, I reckon we got the better of the deal by a very long way

MagpieMariner

Jimmy said:
The hatrick flatters Niks efforts in the game.
Two of his goals were 6 yard tap ins after the rest of the team did all the work running rings around a very sub standard Newcastle team.
He's now being criticised for doing what strikers are supposed to do? He got himself into position to score the tap-ins, how many goals has Smeltz scored just like that? The last one I saw from him was an open goal after Joel Porter had done all the work to get the ball there.
Half of Matty's four this season have been like that - he got himself into position and reaped the rewards. That the opposition was crap doesn't negate the fact that he (Nik) got himself where he needed to be. In the same way against FC, he was where he needed to be but his execution was crap.
Lawrie has said that he believes that Nik's first goal could lead to a busload afterwards, just like Matty last season. Let's face it, our current striker set-up isn't setting the league on fire atm, although the Matty/Kwassie pairing is looking promising. Seeing we have to pay him for the duration of his contract, let's get him out there again to see if the confidence gained can be translated into performance.
From the tone of a lot of the comments about Nik on this forum, he wouldn't be wanted if he was Golden Boot for 3 years running.

MagpieMariner

Paolo said:
krusty said:
4 years on a very very very big wage with very little return suggests that peoples anger is justified.
If he had been playing most games over that 4 years, I would agree with you. However, he's been injured most of that time. We need to give him game time to see whather he can get over that.
Why isn't there a "Get Rid Of Dmac" thread? He's not been any better than Nik so far, and last match I saw a defender have to turn around to chase and still beat him to the ball!

Paolo

spike said:
Paolo said:
krusty said:
If he had been playing most games over that 4 years, I would agree with you. However, he's been injured most of that time. We need to give him game time to see whather he can get over that.
Why isn't there a "Get Rid Of Dmac" thread? He's not been any better than Nik so far, and last match I saw a defender have to turn around to chase and still beat him to the ball!
Because attitude makes the world of difference, as frustrating as its been, people can actually see that dmac is putting in whilst mrdja plods around uninterested looking happy to do f**k all to earn the significant coin he is on

Teddy Bear

I think it is a bit unfair to say he plods around uninterested. The bloke is obviously not match fit which he showed in the recent games he has been involved in. The result of this is that Lawrie has put him in the youth side to get his match fitness up. Whether he can get close to what he was capable of before is up to him and the coaching staff will surely assess that.

If we see him back in the senior team soon we will know he has been making progress

To re-sign him or not re-sign him is going to be up to Lawrie. He has a good eye for who to let go and who not to. I can't think of one player he has got rid of because he didn't need them that has gone on to prove him wrong.

MagpieMariner

Paolo said:
spike said:
Paolo said:
krusty said:
Because attitude makes the world of difference, as frustrating as its been, people can actually see that dmac is putting in whilst mrdja plods around uninterested looking happy to do f**k all to earn the significant coin he is on
There are times when comments here make me think that I'm watching a different game. I've watched every game we've played this HAL, and I haven't seen Nik plodding around uninterested. In fact there's been at least one game when he looked a damn site more interested than Matty.
I'm not bagging Matty, I'm glad he's in the team & I wouldn't swap him for anybody, but we need to be a bit fair-minded. Nik is playing poorly because his body is not yet back to where it was before his first injury, not because he couldn't give a shit. If that was his attitude, he'd be where Caceras is, G-O-N-E. Lawrie gave both Caceras & Nik a serve about attitude during the pre-season and we didn't see Caceras again. The fact that we have, and are, seeing Nik says that he took the warning and his attitude is now satisfactory to the coaching staff.
He may never get back to where he was, and so he will be let go at the end of the season, or maybe just kept on as a squaddie. Let's face it apart from Pedj who else off the bench can be looked on as a potential scorer?

Kareem

I agree with a lot of the pro-Mrdja comments here (I think some people are being way too harsh)- but may I please correct you on the difference between my man caceres and Mrdja.
Caceres would have been stuck in youth league if it were not for the fact that the Phoenix were interested...
Mrdja most likely has no such other interest from other clubs to take him off our hands.

FFC Mariner

I think the disinterested comments relate to when he is in Yoof.

When Kwas was dropped to NYL, he worked his absolute ring off. Nik (sadly) doesnt

marinermick

Kareem said:
Caceres would have been stuck in youth league if it were not for the fact that the Phoenix were interested...

and now he is getting no game time whatsoever because wellington do not have a youth team

marinermick

FFC Mariner said:

When Kwas was dropped to NYL, he worked his absolute ring off. Nik (sadly) doesnt

I must have watched a different youth game to you friday night because I thought he ran his ring out.

MagpieMariner

marinermick said:
FFC Mariner said:

I must have watched a different youth game to you friday night because I thought he ran his ring out.
I wasn't able to go Friday, so I only saw the main game & therefore can't comment about Nik's effort, but FFS he scored 3 goals, that doesn't sound like disinterest to me.

MagpieMariner

marinermick said:
Kareem said:

and now he is getting no game time whatsoever because wellington do not have a youth team
Nux must have a high opinion of Lawrie-coached players  ::)
I wonder if we'll get Caceres back next year?? :D

FFC Mariner

spike said:
marinermick said:
FFC Mariner said:

I wasn't able to go Friday, so I only saw the main game & therefore can't comment about Nik's effort, but FFS he scored 3 goals, that doesn't sound like disinterest to me.

Should have been there then and you would know. Apart from Mick, everyone around me thought the bloke was taking the piss

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred