• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

GA and the Russians

bikinigirl

Try looking on this - though it is also out of date

http://www.nearmap.com/

From looking at that the field they were using has been cut and where the proposed new field will be is still being used for access for building work.

Certainly not ideal for Arnie and the team.

. thanks but can't access nearmap at the moment ... will get back to it

. if we are are sacrificing half a pitch temporarily for a permanent solution ... is it really that bad. at the moment this is the closest we have had to a proper training base ... hopefully we will get there soon (but these things take time)

bikinigirl

I'll have to take a detour on the way down the F3 for the games and have a look at the place close up. From what I can tell from NearMap, it looks to be a fantastic development. Perfectly placed from an access point of view - nearby rail, freeway access, major hub, etc.

OK. Obviously present conditions don't look perfect, but it's a building site. What f@%k do you expect? We're certainly not the only club that are wandering gypsies when it comes to training facilities. At least we're doing something about it. Fair enough though, it should not have got the stage where the premier sporting Club on the Coast has only half a pitch to train on. I don't know the politics of it, but is it the local Grounds Committee being a blocker here?

I also don't know what you expect to get for 10 million quid these days, but it looks to me that it's well on the way to being spent.

Sure some parts of the Mariners franchise are not as it should be. Match day crowds being my biggest concern. That and the lack of a rich benefactor. Although the latter can be a two-edged sword as we saw with Con Constantine at Newcastle and now Clive Palmer. But a lot of the boxes are being ticked this season as far as I can tell.

When I see what is going on elsewhere in the A-League - clubs imploding, poor season on the park, massive instability in boards/coaching/playing staff, non-existent roots in the community, paying massive over-inflated amounts for players, etc. I like what we are doing.

With all the moaning going on though, maybe we should change our name to Central Coast Emos and change the strip to black.

:naughty: your clear thinking and realistic expectations will probably see you branded as a naive supporter of the hedonistic owners of the mariners ( :piralaugh: was that a bit too much?)

. i don't mind people agitating for a bit of certainty and at least having the team/staffs contractual commitments met ... but lately there seems to be a somewhat nasty undercurrent which i can only see destabilising the club and the supporter base

. ffs people are not renewing their memberships because they are worried about what all this chatter means ... thats hardly going to help the situation

. i try not to get caught up in all the politics but i am worried this will have a similar effect to the splintering of the supporter group and i haven't seen much good come from that

Nathan Byrn

When the government gave the money the plans included

Two full size football fields and a grandstand for up to 3,000 fans;
A function, event and reception centre for club and community use;
Up to ten all-weather sports courts for Five-a-side soccer and other sports use;
A heated indoor pool and hydrotherapy centre for community use;
A gym and fitness centre for community use;
Facilities for delivering educational learning programs;
A sports medicine centre;Amenities and car parking facilities and upgrade to the Wyong Rd roundabout; and

The fields will be used as a training facility for the Mariners, for matches of the National Youth League and also for events such as finals of local and interstate men’s and women’s tournaments.

The development will also include a community medical centre and a community dental centre.

The items in bold are where the government money was earmarked.
Ok great I was talking about the other!

marinermick

With all the moaning going on though, maybe we should change our name to Central Coast Emos and change the strip to black.

Given how well you know me and how well you know I have my ear to the ground, it surprises me and disappoints me that you would make this comment Steve.

The club is in serious trouble and you would know I would not take this tone on this forum unless I was very concerned. I have been positive in the past but people have to realise that the club is not peaches and cream as we are led to believe.

- loss of two of our best players at a crucial time in the season
- one win in last six games, lead being cut from 11 points to 3, and despite still first nothing has been won yet
- a coach that has transformed our team leaving at the end of the season unless things seriously change. Given that he can leave means we have breached his contract.
- substandard training facilities for the team
- a number of senior players leaving at the end of the season leaving us with a new, untried coach and a youth team competing next season. If we cannot afford Arnie's mediocre wage who could we possibly recruit?
- players told that they will not be receiving ACL bonuses
- a Centre of Excellence in shambles with the majority of income generating facilities unlikely to be built (hotel, office towers, Uni of Newcastle facility, med centre, leisure centre). Other facilities drastically downscaled. No grand stand, less fields etc. In three years not one full field has been built.
- The only facilities built are those paid for by Soccer 5s.
- Four million due to Wyong Leagues Club at end of the year.
- Million owed to tax department.
- Skeleton administration staff that are underpaid and over-worked.
- A number of unpaid creditors
- Potential investors walking the moment they do due diligence of the financials, management and owenership structure of the club. Not even able to negotiate any sort of deal without the stipulation that the current owner is in charge.
- Falling crowd numbers
- No major spponsor for next season

scottmac

Suspended
but people have to realise that the club is not peaches and cream as we are led to believe.

I think its quite well known that we are in financial trouble and no-one seems to be leading people to believe we are not.

The extent of the troubles is somthing that has not been told in full and i think everyone just got a broader picture

Ancient Mariner

Given how well you know me and how well you know I have my ear to the ground, it surprises me and disappoints me that you would make this comment Steve.

The club is in serious trouble and you would know I would not take this tone on this forum unless I was very concerned. I have been positive in the past but people have to realise that the club is not peaches and cream as we are led to believe.

- one win in last six games, lead being cut from 11 points to 3, and despite still first nothing has been won yet
- a coach that has transformed our team leaving at the end of the season unless things seriously change. Given that he can leave means we have breached his contract.
- a number of senior players leaving at the end of the season leaving us with a new, untried coach and a youth team competing next season. If we cannot afford Arnie's mediocre wage who could we possibly recruit?
- a Centre of Excellence in shambles with the majority of income generating facilities unlikely to be built (hotel, office towers, Uni of Newcastle facility, med centre, leisure centre). Other facilities drastically downscaled. No grand stand, less fields etc. In three years not one full field has been built.
- Potential investors walking the moment they do due diligence of the financials, management and owenership structure of the club. Not even able to negotiate any sort of deal without the stipulation that the current owner is in charge.
- Falling crowd numbers

But apart from those trifling issues we are ok?

FFC Mariner

Nothing to argue with in Micks post (sadly)

Its important to recognise that the few staff who still remain (1 quit this week) work their nuts off trying to do the best that they can in unbelievable conditions.

What would help is some transparency and communication from the clubs owners. To treat supporters/customers with such disdain wouldnt be tolerated in any other business.

In all honesty, having the club able to field a team next season will do me. Anything else is a bonus.

ps - If I was a prospective (rich) investor, I would simply wait for the club to go broke and buy it clear of any involvement of the current owners, be cheaper too. Rich people dont tend to get rich by over paying.

Nathan Byrn

Nothing to argue with in Micks post (sadly)

Its important to recognise that the few staff who still remain (1 quit this week) work their nuts off trying to do the best that they can in unbelievable conditions.

What would help is some transparency and communication from the clubs owners. To treat supporters/customers with such disdain wouldnt be tolerated in any other business.

In all honesty, having the club able to field a team next season will do me. Anything else is a bonus.

ps - If I was a prospective (rich) investor, I would simply wait for the club to go broke and buy it clear of any involvement of the current owners, be cheaper too. Rich people dont tend to get rich by over paying.
Cue the FFA.......

midfielder

This is very similar to what when on at the Nixs ... the big difference is the Nix are part of NZ second biggest city and there were a group of very rich folk prepared to ban together to keep them in the comp...

I still think without any proof except from what to me appears obovious.... when they spilt the ownership of the COE into a trust with a different ownershp model to the club... the question was why??? the answer was to protect the COE should the Mariners fall over...

The real answer seems to be so we can keep the best assets protected for the existing owners within the trust...

Gven what CP is up to means I guess that FL needs us to stay afloat...

The rumours started in September last year, and they nornally start some months after theings go bad... so somewhere between twelve and six months we cannot find an investor...

What others have said as well .... can you hear the club sing ... No No ..

Peter come on mate my little group of four have all renewed so let us know what going on...

MrCelery

- Falling crowd numbers

I guess it's the old 'glass half full or half empty' scenario Mick.

I don't deny there are may be serious issues with the club. I've never said everything is 'goodness and light'. I myself mentioned the main two impediments that, if overcome, would wipe out most of the concerns you have - crowds\rich benefactor. But I agree with others that incessant moaning about the problems undermines the club. God help us if we were having a bad season on the field as well.

I'm just hoping that we are not another Newcastle Breakers. Similar pattern - over investment in infrastructure leading to insurmountable debts, followed by loss of franchise. The big difference is that unlike Newcastle, I doubt Central Coast would ever get another franchise if our Club went belly up.

There you go. Now you've nearly got me joining the negative choir!

I'm just going to enjoy the ride while I can, and get out of the way of those with enough clout who may be able to see us through these difficulties. If that makes me naive, I'm happy to be guilty as charged. I'm too old to wallow in negativity any more. Life's too short.

My requirements are quiet modest. Just an A-League Club that can win a few F3 Derbys each year. Everything else is a brilliant bonus.

MARINERS 'TIL I DIE.

ExiledMariner

- Falling crowd numbers

A lot of the off field things come as a shock to me. It is concerning, especially with the season seemingly unravelling in front of us. An A-League without the Mariners and I'd lose interest pretty quick.

dibo

As I was saying in the other thread:

Voicing displeasure ain't gonna achieve shit.

If people are so well informed as to the state of the club, spill it and force the FFA to act. Pull the trigger.

Otherwise it's all pissing in the wind.

So now we're getting somewhere:

The Simon sale concerns me more than the Griffiths sale. When someone offers you nearly 7 figures for a bloke with three months left on his contract, you take it. I'm surprised they didn't take their arms off for it. Tidy bit of business that not a club in the league would have turned down.

What they *do* with the cash is a different question. Long-term, player sales can't be simply poured into recurrent expenditure, or we're toast.

We were f**ked earlier in the year when players weren't getting paid and we built up that 11pt lead in that time. the notion that our finances are the reason we're in shit I'll take with a pretty big grain of salt. It also coincided with key suspensions, Olyroos going away and both Patrick and Rostyn hitting unspeakably awful form.

Yep, but we've known about this for a while. Have good coach for two years, he builds a club, he's going to get offers even before contract expiry. If the club's been in a shoddy financial situation, then all the more reason for him to look at the exit. It's bad but it's not new.

Again - bad but not new. We've had shitty training facilities ever since we left Mingara what (5 years ago?), and even then it was arguably miles below standard. Given that construction is underway at Tuggerah (as noted before - see Nearmap) at least there's believable movement on this front.

Which senior players are leaving?

From our own 2012/13 Player Thread:

Daniel McBreen
Joshua Rose re-signed
Pedj Bojic
Brad Porter sold
Patrick Zwaanswijk (Fgn)
Rostyn Griffiths sold
Brad McDonald extended deal
Stuart Musialik
Sam Gallagher (u21)
Trent Sainsbury (u21)
Tom Rogic (u21)

So there are three potential starters that may go, and neither McBreen's nor Bojic has been universally loved, and I'm not just talking about their performance from the penalty mark. Zwaanswijk is in the worst form of his stint here and looking not a shadow of his former self.

Can't speak to this, not privy to that kind of info and nothing's been announced.

Can't speak to this, not privy to that kind of info and nothing's been announced.

Not privy to that kind of info and nothing's been announced, but that would certainly be the subject of discussion with potential new backers.

That's been publicly canvassed and would certainly be the subject of discussion with potential new backers.

If they were spending up big on the office while struggling elsewhere we'd be panning their extravagance. It stinks, but it's not unusual and in itself not the biggest cause for complaint.

Not privy to that kind of info and nothing's been announced, but that would certainly be the subject of discussion with potential new backers.

- Falling crowd numbers

Crowds are pretty much consistent with the other seasons' patterns, only we're averaging 2,100 better than last year.

And so then we come to the main game:

If I were Peter Turnbull, I'd be flicking through my licence agreement to see what might constitute a material breach. If he can't sustain the club, then he might want to change it up. If he wants capital to come in, there needs to be an understanding that it won't come for free - the COE and control of the club need to be on the table.

Otherwise he might be getting called to attend a meeting at 1 Oxford St. Given the transformation at our northern neighbours, I don't think he should rely on supporters being fearful of an FFA takeover and a new buyer being sought for a bare licence.

I'm not playing a polyanna game, clearly we're not in rude health, but let's talk about things we know. It seems unlikely to me that we'll get to the end of the off-season without either the present owners sealing a deal on fresh capital or the FFA taking back the licence.

I don't think anyone seriously expects that the latter option would result in anything other than the FFA having us in a holding pattern while they do a clean deal with someone who's already been kicking the tyres but ran from PT.

Any other option means FFA turning their backs on a moderately successful club who have built an identity and a character of their own and set deep roots in their community. Were they to pull CCM entirely, it'd be tantamount to saying that the whole idea of an A-League is farcical and that we can go back to provincial leagues. I simply don't see them doing that.

Ancient Mariner

A lot of the off field things come as a shock to me. It is concerning, especially with the season seemingly unravelling in front of us. An A-League without the Mariners and I'd lose interest pretty quick.

I doubt it will come to that and have renewed my membership in line with those beliefs.

What I do think is that things will get worse before they get better.

Think Newcastle and Con.

My hope is that if/when the shit hits the fan the FFA (even though they will no longer bail out clubs) have something in place to ensure an easy transition to whoever.

marinermick

If I were Peter Turnbull, I'd be flicking through my licence agreement to see what might constitute a material breach. If he can't sustain the club, then he might want to change it up. If he wants capital to come in, there needs to be an understanding that it won't come for free - the COE and control of the club need to be on the table.

Otherwise he might be getting called to attend a meeting at 1 Oxford St. Given the transformation at our northern neighbours, I don't think he should rely on supporters being fearful of an FFA takeover and a new buyer being sought for a bare licence.

Any other option means FFA turning their backs on a moderately successful club who have built an identity and a character of their own and set deep roots in their community. Were they to pull CCM entirely, it'd be tantamount to saying that the whole idea of an A-League is farcical and that we can go back to provincial leagues. I simply don't see them doing that.

Agree totally and here is the crux of the issue.

FFA will not let the Mariners fold because it would seriously damage the A-League, especially after recent events.

The first paragraph posted above is where the impediment lies.

bikinigirl

. mick ... thanks for the detail, it certainly makes things a bit clearer ... and it all comes down to money - lots of it apparently

. most of those issues we have been dealing with from day 1, but the current debt situation seems to have got to a point where it is unsustainable for the current ownership (remembering that is more than just PT) - which can mean only one thing ... a change in ownership structure

. if this is fact:

marinermick said:

. the outcome is inevitably:

FFC Mariner said:

. so the current owners must either face facts and relinquish control or ride it out to the end and lose the lot. as fans we can only hope that it happens quickly and cleanly so that we still have something to support

. the ffa don't want 9 teams ... hopefully that doesn't mean they are happy with 8 or they will 'live with' 9 which includes the westies

NOTE ... this has been written without reading the last few posts (at least there is interest in the team!)

Ancient Mariner

Otherwise he might be getting called to attend a meeting at 1 Oxford St. Given the transformation at our northern neighbours,
Right on.

But what worries me most is that before either of these alternatives come to pass, contracted players like Matty, Bernie, Rosie, (pick any name) have been made offers from China and the club accepts the deals and transfer fees in a desperate effort to stay afloat a little longer.

Think Gold Coast this year.

In case Arnie leaves maybe we should be talking to Miron, he did a great job with the kids up there this year.

As for the statements nothing announced, it is probably about time something was, the rumors have been circulating long enough.

elevated position

Just on the COE. Norths have won Stage 1A of the developement (which is the heated and hydrotheraphy pools and players room) and are waitng the Construction Certificate from council. (Slowly the cogs turn.)

Nathan Byrn

Just on the COE. Norths have won Stage 1A of the developement (which is the heated and hydrotheraphy pools and players room) and are waitng the Construction Certificate from council. (Slowly the cogs turn.)
Not to go to far into it but Norths did not "win" anything.....
But a start is good.

pjennings

I also saw surveyors on the corner looking at the reconfiguration of the roundabout some time last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred