• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Formula 1

tuftman

Not Aloi$i FC said:
tuftman said:
just watched onboard 2 seater laps with David Coulthard driving... reminds me of the China track, one turn following another and no real chance to overtake unless you really barge your way through. Prove me wrong though please Mr. Raikkonen, Webber and co.

Probably going to end up more like Singapore where we will all watch the pretty lights around the city while in actual fact, the racing itself is rubbish. The two Singapore GPs have turned out that way.

The first 20-odd laps of Singapore 2008 I thought was good, the rest was just shite after the whole Piquet crash thing(the one that turned out to be a fix) and Massa trying to take his fuel hose out for a lap of the track

Not Aloi$i FC

tuftman said:
Not Aloi$i FC said:
tuftman said:
just watched onboard 2 seater laps with David Coulthard driving... reminds me of the China track, one turn following another and no real chance to overtake unless you really barge your way through. Prove me wrong though please Mr. Raikkonen, Webber and co.

Probably going to end up more like Singapore where we will all watch the pretty lights around the city while in actual fact, the racing itself is rubbish. The two Singapore GPs have turned out that way.

The first 20-odd laps of Singapore 2008 I thought was good, the rest was just shite after the whole Piquet crash thing(the one that turned out to be a fix) and Massa trying to take his fuel hose out for a lap of the track

It was alright, the racetrack is not remotely inspiring though. Abu Dhabi seems to be a bit better track. I don't know why but I was fairly engrossed in the race last night till the last ten laps when my body decided to put me to sleep.

tuftman

It was amazing in terms the buildings around and over the track. They (the commentators, Martin Brundle and whathisface Legard) compared it to Silverstone in terms of facilites, which are complete opposite ends of the scale. Also compared it in terms of it being an actual race track, in which case Yas Marina gets 2/10.. so f*cking boring. Yet another one of those tracks that looks good on a simulator, but gets processional after about 3 laps

Not Aloi$i FC

tuftman said:
It was amazing in terms the buildings around and over the track. They (the commentators, Martin Brundle and whathisface Legard) compared it to Silverstone in terms of facilites, which are complete opposite ends of the scale.

Yeah, I was going to say, wtf!? Silverstone is also in the middle of a bloody old airfield. God help everyone when it rains there, nobody can get out because everyone gets bogged LOL

Also compared it in terms of it being an actual race track, in which case Yas Marina gets 2/10.. so f*cking boring. Yet another one of those tracks that looks good on a simulator, but gets processional after about 3 laps

Not sure how it can be compared to Silverstone in terms of a racetrack. Its not the great. Its got a few passing places I guess but, as I feared, the racing wasn't all that it promised to be. I blame the drivers in part for it, we need more madmen in F1 like Montoya was, or like Kobayashi promises to be. Exciting/idiotic driving makes F1 entertaining for me to be honest, as long as it isn't overly dangerous.

dibo

good things about some of the new tracks include the width of them - it's much easier for drivers to construct interesting lines through some of the complexes when there's more asphalt to play with.

i quite like the expanse of dirty asphalt rather than a gravel trap for catching the cars too - it is just as safe in most circumstances, it's less punishing to mistakes (so people try slightly crazier things) and people dump less crap on the road when they make a mistake that they do get away with.

what i hate is putting in a lovely long straight and then following it with a complicated set of corners - it reduces the attacking driver's options significantly as far as where they put the car because there's basically only one correct place to exit the corner. compare it to the hairpins at places like adelaide, paul ricard and montreal and you'll see why i'm so annoyed by the end of straight corners at abu dhabi and (while i'm bagging circuits) melbourne.

Not Aloi$i FC

dibo said:
i quite like the expanse of dirty asphalt rather than a gravel trap for catching the cars too - it is just as safe in most circumstances, it's less punishing to mistakes (so people try slightly crazier things) and people dump less crap on the road when they make a mistake that they do get away with.

I actually will go the other way on this one and adopt the Martin Brundle philosophy. They need to put spikes in the run-off areas so that drivers won't take the easy route out. I hate it when they shortcut chicanes and corners just because they got it wrong. They're meant to be the best drivers in the world, not the best short-cutters in the world. I find it really annoying. Gravel traps and close barriers never stopped the real race drivers of the past from trying crazy things ala Gilles Villeneuve, Senna, Mansell, Jacques Villeneuve to an extent.

dibo

i agree with you in the sense that you've got to prevent shortcuts, that's why i'm down with things like having the sawtoothing on the edges of the runoff or the tyre chicanes on the far side of the runoff so you can go off quickly but have to get back on slowly. it's just nice that if someone does make a screwup they're still ok to fight another day.

Not Aloi$i FC

dibo said:
i agree with you in the sense that you've got to prevent shortcuts, that's why i'm down with things like having the sawtoothing on the edges of the runoff or the tyre chicanes on the far side of the runoff so you can go off quickly but have to get back on slowly. it's just nice that if someone does make a screwup they're still ok to fight another day.

Yeah I don't disagree. I don't mind the asphalt run-off in some circumstances, particularly where the grass/gravel trap run-off is uneven (most useful for certain oval tracks in America). Sometimes its overkill though and in the (admittedly unlikely) event of someone losing his brakes or throttle getting stuck, there's no way in hell they're going to be able to slow down. Webber was a bit lucky his brakes in the Singapore GP didn't explode in a faster area of the track or he could've been hurt. I know its a street track but its an example of what most racetracks have these days anyway.

serious14

Yas is a few modified turns of being a _really_ good track.  Fix that chicane rubbish up (turn them into nice banking turns where there's overtaking chances) at the end of that epic straight, and again towards the end there where you've got the "Turn 8 from Turkey but to the right" going on, and it's straight away about 7 seconds a lap quicker and 4 more passing possibilities straight away.

_Stunning_ scenery going on around the track though, farkin' amaaaaaaazing.  See some of those boats/floating cities in the background??  Holy shitballs.

tuftman

dibo said:

Go back to sand bunkers, grass, gravel etc. that'll sort that problem out proper. Though safety reasons stop that. 99.99% sure the Paul Ricard Test Track(now that Bernie has pumped millions into it, pretty sure he owns it actually) has a super sticky asphalt runoff that slows the cars right down. They can still drive out of it, but its at a very very slow pace compared to the racing pace they'd normally be doing. The reason they have asphalt these days, aside from safety, is to encourage the drivers to 'have a go', as there is no punishment should they get to a little wrong.

As for Yas Marina as a track, no-one likes it on the F1 forums around the interpipes. Probably the only saving grace for that race was watching Webber deal with the threat of Button for half a dozen laps, that was proper and proffessional(processional?) from both drivers.

Quick review of the teams and drivers

BMW Sauber - Kubica didn't trounce Heidfeld as many expected, and moves onto Renault needing to prove himself a bit IMHO. Hopefully Nick can get a drive, he deserves one.

BrawnGP - Looked like Ferrari for the first half of the season, then turned into Toro Rosso for the second half. Did enough in the end, but won't be close in 2010 I don't think. Button however is 2009 WDC and Brawn are 2009 WCC

Ferrari - Raikkonen and Massa are pretty much even, as in 2007 and 2008 really. Though Badoer and Fisichella are the 2 worst drivers I've seen in such a high profile and pressure position. Hopefully can bounce back and be in the mix come 2010

Force India - Better then 2008, and was the fastest car at Spa and in the mix at Monza. Sutil showed glimpses of brilliance, and Fisi.. well, if he had KERS he would've won Spa easily. Liuzzi showed he can still mix it with the field, but needs a race seat to prove it

McLaren - Turned a dog of a car into the 2nd fastest in the field. Kovalenein was NOWHERE near Hamilton all season, who for mine showed that he's maturing into a proper champion now.

Red Bull - FAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK. Most improvement I've seen from a team and 2 drivers in the 10 years I've been watching. If they had Mercedes or even Ferrari power, they'd be 1-2 in the title and Constructors IMO. Vettel did outshine Webber though tbh, and Mark won't be able to use his leg as an excuse next season. Broke his duck however, and Vettel is my bet for 2010 if the RBR6 is competitive.

Renault - How the mighty have fallen, worst car in the field by the end of the season, as opposed to being the class of the field in 2005 and 2006. Piquet CAN drive, probably won't get another shot after crash gate though. Alonso IMHO is the best driver in Formula 1, but I don't know that he will handle not being a clear number 1 at Ferrari with Massa in 2010

Scuderia Toro Rosso - Bourdais was unlucky IMHO to be paired with Vettel and then Buemi for teammates, both of whom are/will be race winners I think. Alguersuari will need to, and I think he can, have a good year next year to get a proper foothold in the paddock.

Toyota - The Tottenham Hotspurs of Formula 1. Promise so much every year, have the personnel to deliver on at least some of their promise, and yet by years end its mid-table mediocrity. Glock is thought to be at Renault next year, and Trulli to the new 'Lotus' team. Kobayashi... f*ck me can that man throw his car around. Bet he's mustard in the wet too

Williams -    ................................................... they're taking the piss surely?? dominant in the 1990's and contenders all through the early part of this decade, and now they're fighting for 6th or whatever. Rosberg can and will win races at Brawn I think, Nakajima... showed so much promise in 2008, and this year proved to be the worst (permanent) in the field. Bye bye. Need to have a good year to maintain credibility with sponsors I think.

As for the new teams, Ayrton Senna's(R.I.P) nephew, Bruno, has gotten a drive at Campos, and its rumoured to be Trulli and Takuma Sato(the Honda kamikaze pilot with bullshit speed) in at Lotus. F*ck knows about Manor though

BRING ON 2010!

Not Aloi$i FC

Kubica has never been that much better than Heidfeld, who himself is a pretty good race driver - just never had the equipment to show his ability. Certainly better than Trulli, who somehow keeps getting a race seat year after year. Heidfield's experience surely will come in handy at one of the new teams.

TBH I don't think Webber was ever really affected this season with his leg injury, apart from the fact maybe he lost some miles in testing. He did a great job and generally kept his head, which helped him claw a lot of points back to Vettel in the early part of the season as Seb either crashed or otherwise ran into problems.

Japanese drivers are generally good in the wet, goodness knows they have enough practice! So I expect Kobayashi will be a good wet weather driver in F1 as well, when given the chance.

tuftman

Toyota pulled out, I expect whoever picks up the remnants of the Sauber team(apparently Qadbank, dunno who they are but) to sign Kobayashi and maybe retain quick Nick.

I rate Kubica highly, he was right there in 2007, but I think he's the kinda driver that struggles when the car isn't totally right, unlike drivers like Raikkonen and Alonso who can still wring something out of it

serious14

Button to McLaren, Mercedes buys Brawn:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/nov/16/jenson-button-joins-mclaren-contract

Jenson Button has agreed terms to join McLaren on a 6m-a-year deal and could sign his formal three-year contract to partner Lewis Hamilton in an all-British line-up within the next few days.

The Guardian understands that the world champion has turned his back on Brawn following protracted negotiations and will almost double his salary with the Woking-based team. The 29-year-old was given a guided tour of McLaren's factory last Friday and, although neither the team nor Button's management would confirm the deal tonight, sources close to McLaren hinted: "I think Jenson liked what he saw and they liked him too."

In switching to McLaren Button will be going against advice from Formula One grandees including Sir Stirling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda and Martin Brundle, all of whom feel he might be biting off more than he can chew taking on Hamilton on his home turf in equal cars.

But for Button the prospect of going head-to-head with a close friend and the man regarded by many in the pit lane as possibly the fastest of all will just be part of the challenge of defending his title. It is unlikely either Hamilton, who earns about 12m a year at McLaren, or his father Anthony, who has managed the 2008 world champion since his days as a teenage kart racer, will have been consulted on this beyond the normal deployment of good manners. McLaren have always had the resources and philosophy required to field two fully competitive cars and have always sought the strongest possible driver line-ups they could engage.

The decision by the newly crowned world champion to leave the team built from the ashes of Honda by Ross Brawn came on the day it was officially announced that Mercedes-Benz had switched allegiances from McLaren and purchased a controlling interest in Brawn GP. They will field their cars under the Mercedes banner in 2010.

It had been widely thought that Button would remain with the team alongside Nico Rosberg, the preferred Mercedes nominee, for 2010 following Rubens Barrichello's move to Williams. But there are suggestions that Button was never at the top of the Mercedes wish list. In fact, on Sunday Norbert Haug, the Mercedes motor sport vice-president, hinted that the company was already in talks to sign Nick Heidfeld from BMW, raising the possibility of two Germans going head-to-head with two Englishmen for next year's championship. Nick Fry, Brawn's chief executive, played down those rumours tonight, saying: "I can confidently say that [speculation] is totally incorrect Mercedes is an international company. Clearly a German driver would be nice for them but we don't need two German drivers, that's not the intent."

He added: "I hope Jenson is still with us next season. We've been together for a good few years now and we have succeeded in winning the world championship together and we want Jenson to be with us. But we have to recognise that Formula One is not divorced from the rest of the world. We have worked within a budget [and] if we spend in one area then we cannot spend in another area."

The purchase of Brawn was funded by Mercedes' parent company, Daimler AG, who will own 45.1% of the team's equity, while Ross Brawn and the other senior management will hold 24.9% and the Abu Dhabi-based Aarbar investments will hold 30%. The team will continue to be run from its headquarters at Brackley in Oxfordshire.

Under the new arrangements finalised today McLaren will have the facility of using Mercedes engines through to 2015 if they wish to. "This is a win-win situation, for both McLaren and Daimler," said Ron Dennis, chairman of the McLaren group and the man who originally forged the team's alliance with Mercedes back in 1995. "I've often stated that it's my belief that in order to survive and thrive in 21st-century Formula One a team must become much more than merely a team. In order to develop and sustain the revenue streams required to compete and win grands prix and world championships companies that run Formula One teams must broaden the scope of their commercial activities.

"Nonetheless, all of our partners will of course continue to play a crucial role in our Formula One programme. For that reason, and because the engines they produce are very competitive, we're delighted that Mercedes-Benz has committed to continue not only as an engine supplier but also as a partner of ours until 2015 and perhaps thereafter."

McLaren will not be disadvantaged by no longer being perceived as Mercedes-Benz's standard bearer in the Formula One front line. They and Mercedes have gone their separate ways because of conflicting interests in the high-performance road car arena. But out on the circuits McLaren remains potentially a consistently formidable winning machine. Button knows this and that is why he will be driving one of their cars next season.

Bex

I'm predicting Button will be comprehensively outdriven by Hamilton and his career will revert to the relative anonimity that he enjoyed during his time with Honda. I doubt he will last the full three years at McLaren.

happy

Schumacher signs for Mercedes: Bild
December 23, 2009 - 8:54AM

Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher has signed a one-year deal to return to Formula One racing with Mercedes GP for the 2010 season, Bild.de reported on Tuesday evening.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/schumacher-signs-for-mercedes-bild-20091223-lc7i.html

serious14

Bernie is talking about a street circuit in Rome (in addition to Monza, not as a replacement).

No idea how that would work though - more than 95% of Rome's streets are right proper cobblestone..... surely that would murder the suspension of an F1 car??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred