• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FFA Cup 2016

pjennings

I think we need to take the Green Gully game, and the FFA Cup very seriously. People have been saying, and it probably resonates here on the coast as well that we are no better than an NPL side. We need a strong win here to shut the doubters up. A strong cup run bowling over a couple of HAL teams wouldn't hurt either. Some of the top sides from last year will have ACL commitments as well. We need to target this competition for a very good showing.

JoyfulPenguin

I think we need to take the Green Gully game, and the FFA Cup very seriously. People have been saying, and it probably resonates here on the coast as well that we are no better than an NPL side. We need a strong win here to shut the doubters up. A strong cup run bowling over a couple of HAL teams wouldn't hurt either. Some of the top sides from last year will have ACL commitments as well. We need to target this competition for a very good showing.
Tony's comments about the game are fairly worrying, saying he will pick who is fit and ready. We knew when this game would be basically at the start of this year, we should have been getting every player fit and ready for this, so we could pick our best eleven. If we lose this I think Tony Walmsley should lose his job.

Luca Brasi

I would not be risking one of our new signings to injury at some shithole in Melbourne in what is basically a pre season game if they are not match fit yet.

JoyfulPenguin

I would not be risking one of our new signings to injury at some shithole in Melbourne in what is basically a pre season game if they are not match fit yet.
I have to disagree, this is a pivotal moment in of our season and could help quite a few former members decide whether or not sign up this year. It would also be pretty bloody embarrassing to lose to an NPL side. Our second string side is barely better than Green Gully plus we're out of season, away and coming up against one of the best Australian coaches outside of the A-League. If we field a second string side we could very well embarrass ourselves and do much more harm than an injury to one of our new signings.

Forum Phoenix

Agree with PJ - hadnt thought about it. But think your bang on.

But also agree with Luca JP. It would be foolish to risk players who aren't up to it yet. tavares doing his hamstring now and Roy tearing his achilles or what not, would put a serious dent in our season. And you cant expect the fitness coaches to have them all match fit now. It would be foolish to try. A lot of careful planning and periodisation work has to go in to make sure they perform for the whole season and peak at the right times.

I think there's room to take the game very seriously as PJ suggests, and not put out a full second string side, but also not risk those who they dont deem as being close enough yet.

Rowdy

Geez you get high and mighty when you're questioned.

I merely asked the question ...
...That's all - it didn't require your relentless diatribe(s).

Question? That's all?
Nah you didn't- your leapfrogging now. You accussed me of being passive agressive towards you because of my using formatting, like italics & "inverted commas" & "that you could do without it".

I mean what sort of person even highlights this type of stuff ??? It's pure dribble.

Then you act like a hypoctite, being passive agressive yourself- stating, "I take pride in it" (formatting).
Wake up to yourself

diatribe? Again your a hypocrite.

Seriously mate FFS ???
Here's a hint, consider formatting as an inflexion of my voice, as you well & truly are a Mup-pet !!!

Added to the IGNORE LIST,
"the first I've ever added !"
.... take pride in it. ;)

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So, if we get rolled by the Gully jumpers, will TW fall on his sword early ?...or am I just wishful thinking

Rowdy

3 weeks of pre-season training Vs a side exremely match fit- with 22/23 games (by the time we play) in VNPL under their belt and are currently in the top 5.

This will be an extremely tough game for us, more so after TW's comments on selections not necessarily being the starting 11 that most would assume but rather who he thinks is "up to it":

"Mariners’ Head Coach Tony Walmsley says his selections for the match will be based around ‘who’s up to it’ at this early stage in the pre-season and is excited for his squad’s first competitive hit out.

“What we do know is that going to Melbourne in the middle of winter against a team with a good coach in a competitive league is going to be a real test of character,” Walmsley said.

“We’re going to put pressure on Green Gully but we’re going to have to be really match hardened which at this stage of the pre-season is going to be the biggest challenge for us so it’s exciting. “It’s a great test for us,” Walmsley said.

“You want to harden yourself for the season ahead but this is also an opportunity after the season we’ve had. If we can go there and get a win that will get us on a cup run which is something to be excited about. “We’re in the realm of the banana skin where people are going to be scrutinising us from everywhere and it gives the Mariners a real chance to take that first step in this renewal season. “We will go into the game with the guys that are physically in the best condition, the ones that have that readiness, the ones that can go 90 minutes so there’s no place to hide for our players. They have to be ready and the ones that get picked to play have to be on their best form for us to get something out of the game. “You know that the team is going to be well coached, he’ll set his team out to cause an upset so we will need to be ready for that.

“We’ve brought in some key experienced players down the spine, the squad is in good shape so we will be as ready as we can be this early in the pre-season. “We will be attacking this fixture with everything we’ve got regardless of the circumstances."

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...5gmwsg1qdnsl1lhiepbgbb9iw#90SyK7hiiMRGJKzH.99

Rowdy

I think a loss would be seen as waaaaay more than just a 'banana skin' for Walmsley.

He'll be smiling nervously through gritted teeth 'till the final whistle. :unsure:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred