• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

EPL Transfer Rumours

Aden

i think thats what the australian team is missing . a striker with a killer instinct.  like we always really on  harry and  midfielders like cahill to get the job done but  we need a striker thats just ruthless infront of goals .  cuz TBH i dont rate  sterjovski and kennedy  ( a lot better then sterjovski)  but still no killer isntinct in him

scottmac

Suspended
Kareem said:
...but he is a damn sight quicker than players like Kuyt and similar in speed (Note: not ability) to Tevez, VP, Owen

I don't reckon he is as quick as tevez, but please prove me wrong cause i do not know for sure.

skilbeck

Aden said:
i think thats what the australian team is missing . a striker with a killer instinct.   like we always really on  harry and  midfielders like cahill to get the job done but  we need a striker thats just ruthless infront of goals .  cuz TBH i dont rate  sterjovski and kennedy   ( a lot better then sterjovski)  but still no killer isntinct in him

As ive said earlier Scott McDonald cannot play as a lone forward, I would prefer to see him as a winger in the team that we had last weekend than as a lone striker, his skill comes in making runs of a target man and be partnered up front like he has this season for Celtic with Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, he doesnt have the height to impose himself on a defense and uses his speed and positioning to make quick runs, hopefully Kennedy returning will provide him with a target man partner up from that can gel with him

Kareem

scottmac said:
Kareem said:
...but he is a damn sight quicker than players like Kuyt and similar in speed (Note: not ability) to Tevez, VP, Owen

I don't reckon he is as quick as tevez, but please prove me wrong cause i do not know for sure.
cant prove u wrong there. It's just looking at gameplay and pretty much my opinion. Wish you could get them to have a race or something! Anyone see how fast Mascherano was vs Chelsea. Never seen him run like that b4!

FFC Mariner

I'm still reeling from the Michael Owen/McDonald comparison.

McD plays in a shit league against players not markedly better than the HAL (except for Rangers & his own Celtic).

An EPL manager would have be utterly clueless to buy him.

Newcastle it is then :)

Kareem

Greenpoleffc said:

McD plays in a shit league against players not markedly better than the HAL (except for Rangers & his own Celtic).

but alas...scoring is scoring-keepers arent that much better if better at all in EPL (except Cech who is freakin awesome). I would feel a lot safer gettin a scoring player from SPL then somewhere less physical- u cant get more physical than EPL- he is a poacher!
Wat's wrong with McDonald/Owen comparison. Owen is better play (for now) but i think it is very valid, both 173cm in height and similar stature...both typical poachers (except Owen years ago shredded every1 with crazy pace- but I am comparing them today)...both 2 of the best headers in world under 175cm (can u think of many better). And I like both of the players ;) Probs cozi am like same height :p

hasbeen

Greenpoleffc said:

Agree totally. McDonald is only proven against the mediocre defences in SPL, much the same as Vids scored a boatload when he played for Celtic. Put an Aussie shirt on McDonald and he couldn't score in a brothel. Quick ! Get a friendly against American Samoa organised !!!

Arabmariner

hasbeen said:
Greenpoleffc said:

Agree totally. McDonald is only proven against the mediocre defences in SPL, much the same as Vids scored a boatload when he played for Celtic. Put an Aussie shirt on McDonald and he couldn't score in a brothel. Quick ! Get a friendly against American Samoa organised !!!
FFS give the guy a chance.He,s only played a couple of games for his country.Everyone knows he,s not playing in the strongest league in the world but that doesn,t mean he,s not capable of scoring at this level.It,s not as if we are overloaded with available talent up front at the moment.Plenty of players first make a name for themselves in smaller leagues.It doesn,t mean they are not capable of moving up a level.I think you,d see a different MacDonald playing along side Kennedy.
As for Viduka he ,s scored plenty over the years in the EPL as well.I think a lot of the critisism he has received for his Australian performances is unwarranted.The role he was asked to play under Hiddink was a lot different to his club role and imo he did it pretty well most of the time.
His attitude to playing for his country is another matter but from a pure playing point of view I don,t think we can be too critical of him.

mustapha_beer

Pleeeeease Harry, pleeeeeease don't join either of the Weegie Soap Dodgers!!!!

I know he's got a good chance of Champions League football if he did, but all prejudices aside, there are surely other clubs out there that would be willing to offer him similar opportunities.......someone...tell him!!!!

skilbeck

mustapha_beer said:
Pleeeeease Harry, pleeeeeease don't join either of the Weegie Soap Dodgers!!!!

I know he's got a good chance of Champions League football if he did, but all prejudices aside, there are surely other clubs out there that would be willing to offer him similar opportunities.......someone...tell him!!!!

Dont listen to him feel free to join the green and white ones if they offer you a deal :p

Bear

Kareem said:
...both 2 of the best headers in world under 175cm (can u think of many better)

Cant say I watched the ESPN coverage of the last "under 175cm tall header world cup", so am unable to tell

skilbeck

Bearinator said:
Kareem said:
...both 2 of the best headers in world under 175cm (can u think of many better)

Cant say I watched the ESPN coverage of the last "under 175cm tall header world cup", so am unable to tell

So I guess Kareem is over 175 cm tall

Kareem

i am just saying. they score a ridiculous amount of headers...
usual suspects in the air are 180+, most likely 185+.
Is the fact that Owen and McDonald both score headers despite being short players not a key similarity?

Bear

Kareem said:
Is the fact that Owen and McDonald both score headers despite being short players not a key similarity?

Its no more a similarity than saying Peter Crouch and Jans Kohler score goals with their feet despite being tall

Kareem

Bearinator said:
Kareem said:

Its no more a similarity than saying Peter Crouch and Jans Kohler score goals with their feet despite being tall
lol- thats a bit of a misinterpretation!
small players are no more likely to score goals with their feet than tall players...however every1 goes on about tall guys having arial threats and scoring headers...and yes it does make it easier and yes- Ibra, Berba, Ballack and other tall guys score more headers than Messi, Aguero, Robinho (scored 2 i think last season tho), Villa, Rooney etc.
rooney hadnt scored a header for 4 years i heard until a few months ago...players (or rather strikers) go through seasons without scoring headers- they dont go seasons without scoring with their feet ;) so it was a pretty fair call to make IMO and I am sure people on here would back me up despite my 'unpopularity'

Sym

Doesn't matter if You are tall or not
Position Yourself correctly
Make a good run
If You free in the box
You can be small medium or large whatever

Kareem

Sym said:
Doesn't matter if You are tall or not
Position Yourself correctly
Make a good run
If You free in the box
You can be small medium or large whatever
true...but height helps...and thats a know fact- maybe should try to look up some stats on these sorts of things! I thought it was just common knowledge- with the occasional anomaly eg. McDonald, Owen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred