• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Well, I found that interview quite disheartening. This club is utterly f**ked and will remain so for some time.
A lot of very vague answers - nothing that tells us what the club is changing, both next year and for the future. Instead, repeated justifications of 'well, we're looking more competitive' and putting it down to 'consistency'. No acknowledgement of missing key player positions, of the fact that it doesn't matter how consistent you are IF YOU HAVE NO GOALSCORERS YOU WILL CONSISTENTLY LOSE!!!!!
We've seen numerous problems over the years both with poor signings and mistreatment of some of our own players, especially the young ones, and we haven't heard from anybody how anything is going to change.
And as for his answer to the question about the salary cap - doesn't know if we're spending above the floor, but thinks we might be with scholarships and the like.
I'm sorry, but how can somebody in his position now know something like that? And continuously palming it off as 'oh, but it's not all about money'.
Ok, so tell us how you're going to get a quality, A-league squad for no money, when all we've had over the last few years is an NPL squad. If it's not about money, do you have some incredible strategy or some unique connections that gives us an advantage over all 11 other (including Macarthur) A-league clubs enabling us to recruit cheaply better than all of them?
If not - then it IS about the money. And even the bigger clubs are looking for the diamonds in the rough.

So, doesn't sound like there is any plan on how to improve the team or the club - doesn't even sound like there's recognition of the problems.

Also, what on earth is that about not having a proper board????? Oh, but it isn't a priority!!! Buggar off it isn't - don't have the right leadership structures in place and nothing will change. We've never needed proper leadership structures more.

2 things that I've concluded - and maybe I'm guessing a bit here, I'd like to think it's reading between the lines

1) It all hinges on the stadium management. If we get that and it looks profitable then MC can maybe put more money back into the team. There's no Plan B.

2) Anton was plan B. I get the impression that he was brought in as co-chair mainly in the hopes that he'd open his chequebook. We were told it was all about his football experience and his overseas connections - well, the connections amount to zilch so I'm calling BS on that. And from that interview, I didn't infer any football nous nor any leadership - so I can't see that his leadership skills got him this incredibly important position. So, all that remains is the hope that he would have opened his chequebook in a big way - but as far as I'm aware, that hasn't happened. So, now we have him in that position, for what?

From that interview, it sounds like this club is headed for a few more wooden spoons - if we're going to be around long enough.

We are well and truly f**ked. And honestly, I didn't realise quite how badly until listening to that interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ads

Tevor

Stadium rights will not help when 3,000 turn up to a game. The crowds have been embarrassing this season, the stadium rights would have been a big deal 4 years ago when some of our crowds would break 10,000.

I think somebody said it on another thread, stadium rights are just another excuse to lead the fan base on about when things will get better. An independent HAL is too close now so lets move onto another excuse that is more unlikely to eventuate. Maybe MC thought the FFA would never give up the HAL so it was a safe bet as an excuse.

I'm going to try and enjoy this little club while it lasts which may not be all that long.

turbo

I think somebody said it on another thread, stadium rights are just another excuse to lead the fan base on about when things will get better.
And to make the council the bad guy, in his mind anyway. Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see the council do more to support our only top flight sporting team but the club has to help itself too.

Tevor

And to make the council the bad guy, in his mind anyway. Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see the council do more to support our only top flight sporting team but the club has to help itself too.
Same but the club getting the stadium rights will not magically create bigger crowds only a competitive team will. If we get the rights and the crowds are low then we will not make the alleged money to fund the team better, seems like a double edge sword. If it does prompt MC to put more funds in as most have already alluded to we are so far behind every team even a lot of cash at once will not quickly turn the clubs fortunes around. We need two to three years of solid funding and development to really improve in my opinion.

The Stadium is nothing but a deflection tactic to give us something to hang onto. May never happen in the lifetime of the club.

priorpeter

Stadium rights can potentially tie in to bigger crowds in an indirect way. Securing management rights means we can open additional revenue streams from hosting events at the stadium, an increase/different type of match day activations/experiences, additional options for catering etc. The upshot of that additional revenue is potentially more money into the squad, leading to better results, leading to better crowds.
Just trying to see the positives. I’m tired and hungry.

priorpeter

1) It all hinges on the stadium management. If we get that and it looks profitable then MC can maybe put more money back into the team. There's no Plan B.

2) Anton was plan B. I get the impression that he was brought in as co-chair mainly in the hopes that he'd open his chequebook. We were told it was all about his football experience and his overseas connections - well, the connections amount to zilch so I'm calling BS on that. And from that interview, I didn't infer any football nous nor any leadership - so I can't see that his leadership skills got him this incredibly important position. So, all that remains is the hope that he would have opened his chequebook in a big way - but as far as I'm aware, that hasn't happened. So, now we have him in that position, for what?

From that interview, it sounds like this club is headed for a few more wooden spoons - if we're going to be around long enough.

Couple of things there - Anton has definitely opened his chequebook. I won’t go in depth but he’s definitely pumping money in.
He does have overseas connections. I understand Djuric is a result of those connections. We’ve also sent Jevtic and Jova over to Belgrade (another club Anton is involved with) to gain some experience and I feel they’ll come back much stronger for the experience over there. Of course this also potentially opens up a new channel for player development on both sides.
I’m not sure who the new sporting director is going to be, but they may also be a result of Anton’s connections (don’t quote me on it, just a gut feel).

I didn’t agree with 100% of what he said (and if I’m honest I don’t think he exactly took a shine to me), but I think we’re in a better position with him than without.

turbo

I think we also benefited from Antons strength and conditioning bloke in the pre season as well didn’t we?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Couple of things there - Anton has definitely opened his chequebook. I won’t go in depth but he’s definitely pumping money in.
He does have overseas connections. I understand Djuric is a result of those connections. We’ve also sent Jevtic and Jova over to Belgrade (another club Anton is involved with) to gain some experience and I feel they’ll come back much stronger for the experience over there. Of course this also potentially opens up a new channel for player development on both sides.
I’m not sure who the new sporting director is going to be, but they may also be a result of Anton’s connections (don’t quote me on it, just a gut feel).

I didn’t agree with 100% of what he said (and if I’m honest I don’t think he exactly took a shine to me), but I think we’re in a better position with him than without.

One of those moments when I'm glad to be proven wrong then, thank you.
If anton's investing perhaps that should be freely discussed by the club (not the amount as such) - fans need to hear that SOMETHING is happening versus previous seasons

Tevor

who claimed they would?
I’m trying to suggest that the stadium rights may not be the gold mine CCM make it out to be. Our crowds are rubbish and will take a long time to recover even if we improve ten fold. A couple of NRL games will not add buckets of cash either in my opinion. Fix the team first, look at the Nix. After two good years their crowds are healthy again.

turbo

Our crowds are rubbish and will take a long time to recover even if we improve ten fold. A couple of NRL games will not add buckets of cash either in my opinion. Fix the team first, look at the Nix. After two good years their crowds are healthy again.
A cynic might say MC is ok with our crowds dropping while they're trying to negotiate stadium rights so he can attempt to secure them at a lower value. It's a risky play though.

pjennings

I’m trying to suggest that the stadium rights may not be the gold mine CCM make it out to be. Our crowds are rubbish and will take a long time to recover even if we improve ten fold. A couple of NRL games will not add buckets of cash either in my opinion. Fix the team first, look at the Nix. After two good years their crowds are healthy again.
I think the vision needs to be bigger than a couple of NRL games. The stadium precinct as a whole needs to be open for use on a much greater basis than the 10 or 15 days it is now.

Insertnamehere

I think the vision needs to be bigger than a couple of NRL games. The stadium precinct as a whole needs to be open for use on a much greater basis than the 10 or 15 days it is now.
This is exactly what you need for success. Its needs to draw people in before the games and keep them after.
Would be sweet if there was more there than just a few bars and the leaguesy.

Ironbark

Regular events at the stadium particularly in the off season, and control over pre- and post-game entertainment, is a potential for huge revenue...in time.

FFC Mariner

Revenue for whom? MC would be an idiot to allow stadium rights to be held by the football club.
Will be another company and CCM will still be tennnts.
He may be a lot of things but he isnt an idiot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami