• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

FFC Mariner

Great pod. Interesting to hear the "probably " about being at the cap floor. Then Shaun diving in to say the scholarships kept us above it. Thats a terrible indictment on the club if true and shows why we cant recruit quality. We simply dont pay.
Apparently being competitive and losing is the new definition of success. We lose because we arent good enough.
We arent good enough because we dont pay whats required to compete at this level.
Doesnt see promotion to NPL1 as important either. So many good kids wont play NPL2 but then CCM probably cant afford to compete in that league either.
Doesnt sound like anything is changing and they will cling to the same failed business model

pjennings

Anton complained about inconsistency. He then highlighted the age of our squad when compared to those in a Perth age where the average age of the combined teams was 32.

1) Young players tend to be inconsistent (so do our older players)
2) We consistently play (albeit on an inconsistent basis) these young players with and average age of 20 - Rowles, Tongyik, Miller, Stensness, De Silva, Ruiz Diaz, Nisbet, Silvera & Majok.
3) Our team is inconsistent

Why would you expect other results. When Arnie brought through a previous bunch of youngsters he had around 7 seasoned pros on the park as well - players like Hutch, Monty, Patty Z, Rose, McBreen, Sterj, Perez etc

Youth is great - but they need to be thrown into a consistent team - not thrown in together

Coast Football Ramble

Anton complained about inconsistency. He then highlighted the age of our squad when compared to those in a Perth age where the average age of the combined teams was 32.

1) Young players tend to be inconsistent (so do our older players)
2) We consistently play (albeit on an inconsistent basis) these young players with and average age of 20 - Rowles, Tongyik, Miller, Stensness, De Silva, Ruiz Diaz, Nisbet, Silvera & Majok.
3) Our team is inconsistent

Why would you expect other results. When Arnie brought through a previous bunch of youngsters he had around 7 seasoned pros on the park as well - players like Hutch, Monty, Patty Z, Rose, McBreen, Sterj, Perez etc

Youth is great - but they need to be thrown into a consistent team - not thrown in together

Spot on, I didn't bring it up in the interview, but we have spoken about it in the past. Our best teams and production of players have come from having seasoned professionals in the spine of the team or in key positions with younger players getting valuable experience from playing alongside and with them.

Insertnamehere

Kind of a nothing interview from Anton. Trust us wer'e trying isn't comforting. Appreciate he may not be able to dive into the dynamics of the business but seriously I'm not personally comforted at all. Some people want to hear the boring nuts and bolts discussion.
Good work tho on the poddy lads.

Ads

My fear is it’s great to have a board or committee but need a strong decision maker that is relevant to the game, with connections that are relevant on the ground level.

See it time and time again in corporate world, can have as many meetings and discussions as you want but if you don’t act it’s worthless.

2nd fear is that indicated we are looking to next season now.
We really should be having conversations or getting in peoples ears ages ago, almost in this preseason.

* Anton seems passionate but is he out of touch or a bit to old.
* Staj is composed and seemingly decent with people but I think his tactics are poor for a low quality team.
* Shaun has probably built some good relationships but to draw players need a coach that players know and hear good things about.

turbo

but to draw players need a coach that players know and hear good things about.
I dont think the coach is enough at this point, players will know we still wont spend so it will still be a mess. Plus how do we get that kind of coach to agree to working with a razor thin budget?
IMO we need to clear out the dead wood and focus our spending on a good visa player core to show our intent to rebuild. That may well mean extra investment needed but then you can go to players saying we've got these guys from X, Y, Z already locked in and we're serious about rebuilding. If your reputation is shot as ours is and you're going to them with a few squad players, some youth and a couple of ok players how can you expect to put together a competitive squad?

Ironbark

Great pod guys - I feel like they get better each release.

Thoughts from the info given:
* the money still isn't there and doesn't look to be there in any major upgrade for next season
* there is a chance on the stadium still - which may bring in some revenue but (my guess here) would still take some time to get that flowing properly

If the above is true then I think the plan for next season should be to clear out as much as we can, reduce the overall squad size a little, and pay more for the intended first 11. Youth (Miller, Nisbet et al.) can fill in gaps as they arise due to cards and injury.

jacobsfl

I didn't detect a real direction from Anton. It seems like all he's concerned about is "we were crap last season, but we're better now."

We're in 11th. "Better" is not good enough.

In my opinion, the club needs to start looking 5 years in the future. If we are still in the league, what kept us? We need to think about that and start acting on it, as I feel the club may be on borrowed time and there are things we don't know about.

I feel the idea of getting the fans to sponsor an NYL or NPL player is a very exciting idea. It means we can pool our ideas based on what we've seen so that the fans can "scout" their areas while the club scouts overseas. It was a success for Wellington, so I'd like to see it.

Hopefully, we can get more NRL fixtures into the stadium.

Got a similar feeling about this weekend. Just need that finishing touch. If we encourage Jair to shoot more I think there's a few wins in the tank

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Agreed..we're not better. We're not more competitive. There are more teams better than us this year than last year.
Anton seems to wholly support the mentality and culture of failure at this club.
There's no "we're better but..the results don't show it"
Results are everything and we're not better.
Sick of hearing this club justify and excuse consistent failure.
Seems like the rot starts at the top. Nothing I've heard so far sounds like leadership.

Reactions: Ads

jacobsfl

That said, I'm glad I'm not a Western Sydney fan (btw the worst fanbase in the country)

The FFA want them in the finals and they've got a quality squad. How are they so poor?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Every team incrementally improves every year in this league.

So when Anton says we have improved he is right.

Our increments are smaller than everyone else's - hence we are still last.
Improvement means nothing if it isn't relative.
If we improve by ten percent and everybody else by 30, then we've gotten worse

marinermick

Improvement means nothing if it isn't relative.
If we improve by ten percent and everybody else by 30, then we've gotten worse

And we came from a very low base. This was my argument in preseason when we were recruiting. To be competitive to move up the ladder we needed a big shift. We have shifted but not enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred