• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

marinermick

Interesting.
Is that 5% even with subsidies, do you recall?

No, they were privately run facilities. From memory no stadium or government run sport and rec centres (e.g. such as Peninsula Leisure Centre) made money and were subsidised.

No facility that had a swimming pool made money.

For my post graduate Event Management degree over a decade ago I did an event analysis on Mariners match day. Then they were paying around $30k for stadium hire and staff. That’s around $350k a year.

As the major tenant this does not even cover wages for the stadium, let alone maintenance, cleaning, pitch upkeep etc.

I have no doubt that the stadium runs at a loss presently. The stadium would need a massive injection of events to even break even.

Remember, part of MC’s plans were to build a hotel and entertainment quarter. Do you think council will ever allow this?

This is based on my experience and knowledge in these areas. I could be wrong.

Josho Howe

If that was the case, can I ask why questions weren’t asked about the lack of transfer business in January?

Harold came in through GG's departure and the Jair signing before that meant our budget was topped out is what l believe the case is so that's why we didn't think to ask as we assumed that was the answer.

Coast Football Ramble

If that was the case, can I ask why questions weren’t asked about the lack of transfer business in January?

We're of the impression it's mostly common knowledge. Out of all the things we could have discussed the January transfer was really quite low on importance. There's not many decent free transfer players just waiting to come in. They can't magic someone out of nothing. If the talent required isn't available then we can chase it.
We went for 3 players and got 1 whilst letting go of 1 to Vic.

The stadium stuff and everything else pushed this to the back of the agenda.

pjennings

We're of the impression it's mostly common knowledge. Out of all the things we could have discussed the January transfer was really quite low on importance. There's not many decent free transfer players just waiting to come in. They can't magic someone out of nothing. If the talent required isn't available then we can chase it.
We went for 3 players and got 1 whilst letting go of 1 to Vic.

The stadium stuff and everything else pushed this to the back of the agenda.

Who were the other 2 we went for?

Ozhammer

Not sure either of the above comments could be construed as ‘common knowledge’ guys? For instance, I don’t personally recall any formal mention of 3 players being approached, so can you perhaps enlighten me and others on where that was stated? Also the budget situation is about as clear as mud and the fact that CCM is only spending the floor means there must be room to spend, it’s just that management won’t sanction any additional money.

Also, the issue of January recruitment (or lack thereof in CCM’s case) is surely fundamental to gauging how serious the club is/was about avoiding yet another wooden spoon? There are always players that can be picked up and other HAL clubs didn’t seem to have any trouble with this. I believe that the Jest will be signing two more players shortly and they are supposedly on an austerity drive this season.

I’m not having a dig at anyone in particular but I am personally disappointed at how apathetic many on here seem to be about the club’s continued trajectory, with no end seemingly in sight. Not holding the club management and the owner to account arguably just gives them a free pass to continue with the current deeply flawed strategy imho.

Coast Football Ramble

Literally no one asked about it on here.

CCM swapped a DM for an attacking mid. Seems like a decent trade as we desperately need to score more goals. They Also looked at forwards which leads to Thulurbs being right. We looked at Roy. Which was mentioned here quite a bit.

There's no apathy at all, we asked about recruitment in general. We've discussed the lack of decent goal scorers on the pod separately.

Anton is just one cog in the machine and probably wouldn't have had the answer you were after judging by the rest of the interview.

I'll make it my endeavour to ask Stajcic about it, as to me, it seems like a question more directed for him.

As for the trajectory of the rest of the season. Personally, it ain't looking good.

priorpeter

“I don’t personally recall any formal mention...”
Cmon man, it’s a podcast, not a royal commission.
I get that you’re disappointed a question wasn’t asked but as said above - literally no one else asked about it, and I agree that it may be better directed to someone in the football department.

adz

Staff member
What do you see as the reasons the club is so far behind everyone else on the pitch, and what is being done about it?

I was pretty disappointed with the response to this one - firstly the surprise and confusion at even suggesting we're behind everyone else, then saying that a few close games means we're not... 3 wooden spoons in 4 years to me says we're a fair bit behind! Or maybe our goals are different here, I'm looking at first place where the club's goal is second last..? Even then we're not really close.

Also I can't remember the exact words but basically management are baffled and have no clue why we are inconsistent and can't win games. The question wasn't really meant as a "why are the players so crap" thing, I was hoping for some talk about resources being available to coaches, players, and staff... maybe additional personnel, equipment or technology that the bigger clubs might have and we don't?

Anyway. I guess all of that is perfect already and there is no plan.

Insertnamehere

I was pretty disappointed with the response to this one - firstly the surprise and confusion at even suggesting we're behind everyone else, then saying that a few close games means we're not... 3 wooden spoons in 4 years to me says we're a fair bit behind! Or maybe our goals are different here, I'm looking at first place where the club's goal is second last..? Even then we're not really close.

Also I can't remember the exact words but basically management are baffled and have no clue why we are inconsistent and can't win games. The question wasn't really meant as a "why are the players so crap" thing, I was hoping for some talk about resources being available to coaches, players, and staff... maybe additional personnel, equipment or technology that the bigger clubs might have and we don't?

That's one thing that really erked me. I was getting very cranky in the car listening to Anton downplay and act/be ignorant of how long we've been shit for and by how shit.

Ozhammer

I wasn’t suggesting the pod team made a formal mention of anything Pete, more the club. The lack of comment from Shaun or anyone else about efforts to steer the team away from the bottom of the table should concern us all and Anton’s talk of next season suggests the club has already given up on the current one.

Whilst the club may be successful in winning stadium management rights, that may or may not have a meaningful benefit to the team, so the benefits remain to be seen.

Coast Football Ramble

I agree, I did press and hope for more specifics, They we're not forthcoming.

Reactions: adz

Coast Football Ramble

I wasn’t suggesting the pod team made a formal mention of anything Pete, more the club. The lack of comment from Shaun or anyone else about efforts to steer the team away from the bottom of the table should concern us all and Anton’s talk of next season suggests the club has already given up on the current one.

Whilst the club may be successful in winning stadium management rights, that may or may not have a meaningful benefit to the team, so the benefits remain to be seen.

There's no problem with trying to sort next season now though, it's how it should be done. Otherwise we turn up at the start of the next transfer window seeming like we're left scrambling and scratching our arses again.

turbo

Not sure either of the above comments could be construed as ‘common knowledge’ guys? For instance, I don’t personally recall any formal mention of 3 players being approached, so can you perhaps enlighten me and others on where that was stated?

Bad luck if you don’t follow the right people on twitter or have the insider gossip I guess. You’ve had a few responses and no one has decided to volunteer the two names that were common knowledge.

Coast Football Ramble

Apart from where Roy is mentioned as one of the players, it was widley discussed on here on socials?

Look, there's two ways of going about signing players and/or doing business, there's doing it in the open, spreading rumours whether they're true or not about chasing a player, if the signing comes off great, if it doesn't, you can either get egg on your face for that player turning you down and choosing a better option or you end up just looking like a bunch of liars throwing out prospect signings to make it look like you're doing something when you're not.

Or, you play your cards close to your chest, which then means you don't get caught lying about player signings or you don't get embarrased by another club stealing that player which leads the fans to get angry.

Whichever way the club does it, people will whinge, either for not being open, failing to get signings over other clubs, looking like they're pretending to do something or looking like they're not doing anything. It really is a losing battle for them.
We don't need to know every single detail about what's going on, it's a football club, there needs to be some secrecy about stuff.

Ancient Mariner

I think the reason for his apparent surprise and confusion on this one would have been down to thinking.

"It's obvious we have very little quality. Half the squad are crap and we want to get rid of them at the end of the season. How do I answer this question without lying or totally undermining the players for the rest of the season."

Nor is he going to talk about "resources being available to coaches, players, and staff... maybe additional personnel, equipment or technology that the bigger clubs might have and we don't" and go into a lot of wishful thinking about things we cannot afford.

He is a director of a club with limited resources and is not using that as an excuse. Nor is he trying to give us hope that there is a fairy godmother on the horizon.

In an interview with a club on the bottom and struggling, he tried to emphasise the few positives, which is what you would expect.
That question was a tough one to answer for someone in his position and I suspect the thought processes were "how the f*** do I answer this and stay positive?" and he was thrown.

I was disappointed that he did not announce any new money or wondrous things for the future. However I was satisfied that he was not promising false dawns and spoke the truth.

I will not be critical of anyone who is prepared to take on a thankless task and give up their time and money to help the Club.

Reactions: adz

Michael

this.
Look at the scum. Their own slashed their budget massively this season. They’ve been shit as expected because of that and they now realise how likely a wooden spoon is, brought Roy back for more money than before and it’s now official they’re chasing Bernie and ex prem/championship player Joe Ledley. Making considerable efforts to avoid the spoon.
Harold was a great pick up imo. But we could have and could still do so much more. Bernie has been available for ages now and if he’s been in contact with the Jets surely we can make a similar offer and he’d be more inclined you’d hope to come to the club that made his career happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred