• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

pjennings

Enjoyed your pod again guys. :goodpost:

It was interesting to hear your thoughts on formations as well as your comments on Bolt and the recruitment of McCormack and Oar.

I can see us nominally setting up as 4-4-2 but also being very fluid. I think the main thing with the recruitment - especially in attack is that we have recruited some very football savvy players that can adapt well. McCormack, Oar,. WeeMac. Murray and a more mature Simon all seem to be intelligent players. Clisby, and O'Neill further back also seem to be quite versatile. Hopefully we will see more than just Plan A .;)

I did go to the Bolt game - though wasn't prepared to pay for my normal seats.

My thoughts on his trial.

Entertainment - the smoke and fire was fine. The shark song made me cringe as did the SEA FM Bolt chants. To be fair though I used to cringe (and shut up) when the announcer at normal HAL games used to call for noise at kick-offs and corners. I'm a contrary old bugger that doesn't take instruction well.

Crowd - their was a major problem on the M1 and many people took well over 2 hours and closer to 3 hours from Sydney so ! think we were light a couple of thousand. As opposed to someone on the pod I saw a lot of faces I haven't seen in years. Not theatre-goers but people who have drifted from the club as their family situation has changed. Some of them were at the CCU game as well. BTW some also came back because after hearing of Bolt they also heard Matt Simon was back.

Bolt- will never be a top level player. But I can see enough to work with for him to be a squad player (and that is fine as long as sponsors and the FFA marketing budget or Fox Sports pay the vast majority of his wage for marketing and we play his value as a squad player). Playing him on the wing I don't think will work. However, if he can learn to time his leaps (a tall guy with probably the largest vertical leap in the HAL) you can throw him on with 20 minutes to go. He is a big unit, can cause havoc, win headers (maybe even score the occasional goal) and provide scraps for finishers like McCormack or other strikers.

I posted this in the squad thread a couple of weeks ago. Shaun basically says that we wouldn't have gone for McCormack and Oar without going for Bolt first.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/central-coast-mariners/story/3639796/usain-bolt-inspires-central-coast-mariners-offseason-recruitment-drive

My spin is more that having Bolt attracting people to CCM MC realised we need to have a squad to keep them there. I also think he took a punt on the outcome of the FFA problems and brought forward spending that he probably wasn't going to spend until we had an independent HAL.

Bolt will be a flash in the pan but he will/ has gotten people who have drifted away a reason to look at CCM again and there are many in this category. And yes he will also attract the theatre-goers. I don't think we should be too precious about that though because many people are introduced to the game that way. Even if you get 5% of the theatre goers converting to long term fans that is 5% you didn't have before.

Coastalraider

Enjoyed your pod again guys. :goodpost:

It was interesting to hear your thoughts on formations as well as your comments on Bolt and the recruitment of McCormack and Oar.

I can see us nominally setting up as 4-4-2 but also being very fluid. I think the main thing with the recruitment - especially in attack is that we have recruited some very football savvy players that can adapt well. McCormack, Oar,. WeeMac. Murray and a more mature Simon all seem to be intelligent players. Clisby, and O'Neill further back also seem to be quite versatile. Hopefully we will see more than just Plan A .;)

I did go to the Bolt game - though wasn't prepared to pay for my normal seats.

My thoughts on his trial.

Entertainment - the smoke and fire was fine. The shark song made me cringe as did the SEA FM Bolt chants. To be fair though I used to cringe (and shut up) when the announcer at normal HAL games used to call for noise at kick-offs and corners. I'm a contrary old bugger that doesn't take instruction well.

Crowd - their was a major problem on the M1 and many people took well over 2 hours and closer to 3 hours from Sydney so ! think we were light a couple of thousand. As opposed to someone on the pod I saw a lot of faces I haven't seen in years. Not theatre-goers but people who have drifted from the club as their family situation has changed. Some of them were at the CCU game as well. BTW some also came back because after hearing of Bolt they also heard Matt Simon was back.

Bolt- will never be a top level player. But I can see enough to work with for him to be a squad player (and that is fine as long as sponsors and the FFA marketing budget or Fox Sports pay the vast majority of his wage for marketing and we play his value as a squad player). Playing him on the wing I don't think will work. However, if he can learn to time his leaps (a tall guy with probably the largest vertical leap in the HAL) you can throw him on with 20 minutes to go. He is a big unit, can cause havoc, win headers (maybe even score the occasional goal) and provide scraps for finishers like McCormack or other strikers.

I posted this in the squad thread a couple of weeks ago. Shaun basically says that we wouldn't have gone for McCormack and Oar without going for Bolt first.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/central-coast-mariners/story/3639796/usain-bolt-inspires-central-coast-mariners-offseason-recruitment-drive

My spin is more that having Bolt attracting people to CCM MC realised we need to have a squad to keep them there. I also think he took a punt on the outcome of the FFA problems and brought forward spending that he probably wasn't going to spend until we had an independent HAL.

Bolt will be a flash in the pan but he will/ has gotten people who have drifted away a reason to look at CCM again and there are many in this category. And yes he will also attract the theatre-goers. I don't think we should be too precious about that though because many people are introduced to the game that way. Even if you get 5% of the theatre goers converting to long term fans that is 5% you didn't have before.

Great post PJ, agree with you 100% on teh Bolt talk. There is very little middle ground given to this discussion.

Also I was a bit offended at the 'us and them' discussion around fans - you are either a bolt fan or a Mariners fan - I went to my first game as a theatre goer - and was hooked with the experience. I felt that the game day experience of the Bolt trial was better than anything we have had for a few years. I thought baby shark was a big step too far, but trying to improve game day experience is a positive to me, I have a young family, and if they bug me to go to games thats creating another generation of fans. We are a family/community club, so why should the die hards be offended when steps are taken to try to re-engage and incentivise these demographics to attend more games?

Tevor

First time listener, enjoyed it and will definitely listen again. Liked the banter and had a good laugh at “two Woy”. Not a true Coastie but will see if the Wife who is knows this term. How do you donate funds to this pod cast? I recall reading there is an option.

Coast Football Ramble

We're chatting to head coach Mike Mulvey tomorrow.
If there's anything you want to ask put it here.

44728418_1980800342219427_4962992095309594624_o.jpg

true believer

Him and monty seem good mates .
Is it so and why ? Is this the return of the little team that could . And could we see the return of legends like zwanee being closer to the team

The team played with old mariners passion. Dispite some very ordinary refreeing. How hard have you worked on the lads mental toughness ?

Wombat

Hi Mike,

What pleased you about the Brisbane game and what needs improvement?
Will Aiden be starting next week?

Cheers

timmers

Is there something specific that you identified in the 'old mariners' which you've tried to get back by bringing back Simmo, McGlinchey etc? Or do you think that's a helpful step for any club to take?

Thanks gents. Love the podcast, avid listener

Mini In Bay 6

Does he have one thing he would like the ALeague to improve on over all other concerns/issues (or a a top few if he cant decide)?

I suppose whats his burning issue?

Fadetoblack944

Hello

Having seen the different style of coaching (from okon ball to a more defensive style), how have the players reacted to the more defensive style implemented?

Thanks and keep up the good work

Wombat

Hello

Having seen the different style of coaching (from okon ball to a more defensive style), how have the players reacted to the more defensive style implemented?

Thanks and keep up the good work

Okon ball was far more defensive......just saying!??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred