• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Stadium

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

f****** disgraceful.
So, they acknowledge that they've sucked at running the stadium but won't let CCM take over.
CCM want to buy screens for the stadium but they say no and that they've got money for it. Then they go back on their word to completely f*** over everybody that uses the stadium to save money.
If money became an issue, why not approach the club again?
Can't stand this pack of pricks. None of this makes any sense. Wish I was back on the coast still, would motivate me to actually go along to a council meeting

Big Al

This stuff will be the end of the Mariners on the coast.

Without council on your side and limited fan base. Mike won't be impressed.

What a dodgy interim council. Come up with a budget then ignore it. All knowing they won't be around for the blow back

Back to Castle Hill, pockets loaded and not a care in the world

Rowdy

Ian Reynolds was nothing but a 'leech' whilst the Interim Admistrator.

...... now it appears he was a fcukn termite as well.

Pirate Pete

Wonder if they have looked into what it would take to build another stadium somewhere else on the Coast - maybe up at Tuggerah - and let CCS rot? Pie in the sky thinking but you would think all options would need to be considered.
Council probably wouldn't give planning permission.

Probably an excuse like, well because.

dibo

Council probably wouldn't give planning permission.

Probably an excuse like, well because.
I think finance would be the bigger hurdle.

Our ideal situation would be a stadium of maybe 10k-15k capacity, with 4 distinct stands - a "Club" stand on the west (with corporate facilities, platinum seats, etc.), a "Family" stand on the east (perhaps with an area at the back for the kids to play if they're bored of the football!), a "Supporters" stand at the north (terracing/rail seats, a supporters' bar, roof with rigging to do banner drops etc.) and a guests stand at the south (mixed between home support and an allocation for away fans).

None of the stands would need to be big. But I'd be amazed if you could get away with spending any less than $100m, and any smaller than that would not be sufficient to be an A-League home ground.

So at 5% over 25 years you're looking at over $7m p/a to pay that off. You're building equity, and there's the security of owning your own ground, but that's a lot of cash to commit to spending. It's an ongoing $5m if you just go interest only.

That would be why the management rights of CCS would be attractive - for a fraction of the sort of cash outlay that a new stadium would require, we could get a shitload done in the place we already call home. The bones of the place are OK, the location is ludicrously good and most importantly, it's our home, but it needs investment.

We wouldn't be building equity, but money spent smart would build earning capacity, and the club would have a chance to grow itself in familiar surroundings.

midfielder

I seriously think there are many in positions of power on the Coast very connected and loyal to league and with Easts saying they could want to play 3 games on the Coast, and the NRL wanting to keep the Coast without a team and openly talking about up to 5 games a year maybe a final to add to Easts ... me thinks there is lots of pressure not to let soccer get control of a stadium and those News and Fairfax Sydney based papers and add 9 as well ...

League does not want the Mariners to have control of the stadium ...

Coastalraider

I seriously think there are many in positions of power on the Coast very connected and loyal to league and with Easts saying they could want to play 3 games on the Coast, and the NRL wanting to keep the Coast without a team and openly talking about up to 5 games a year maybe a final to add to Easts ... me thinks there is lots of pressure not to let soccer get control of a stadium and those News and Fairfax Sydney based papers and add 9 as well ...

There is probably some merit to this suggestion of protecting the ground for use with NRL, but there is absolutely zero chance of an NRL final being played in Gosford, regardless of what is said. Canberra, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Cronulla and Newcastle can't even hold preliminaries at their own home ground due to limitations with capacity potential, so regional grounds have buckleys chance of hosting anything other than a NSW cup final at best.

Big Al

But it would be in our best interest to attract more NRL to pay off the investment.

No point having rights on an empty stadium. Also could be included in the contract that we have to take NRL offers as a responsibility to the communities best interests.

Just a power struggle. Like brothers playing.. I don't want it until you start playing with it. Council did jack until we said we want it

pjennings

The HAL clubs need to start controlling some stadiums. There is no conflict with the NRL at our stadium - we would want them to play there, just at the right time.

Ideally we will be one that does.

If the club can control the stadium then
  • the money comes to the club - not the council. We can control the experience, make sure food and drink is both affordable but easy to get.
  • we would be stupid to bar NRL games but could control when they are scheduled so as not to upset the condition of the pitch when we are playing.
  • facilities would be improved at a much faster pace (not hard given the current pace)
  • we should be self-sustaining
  • it provides a buffer if in future there is promotion/relegation in that we would still have an income generating stream to win promotion if we were relegated.
From what I gather the Southern Expansion is looking to build a new stadium, probably at Waratah Park Sutherland. The thinking is that eventually Kogarah will close and be redeveloped for medium density housing. While it will be close to Shark Park it is positioned railway wise and road wise better for Dragon fans (both from Sydney and Wollongong) and there will be year round tenants.

Tevor

I don't live on her coast but the stadium situation is soooo frustrating as I see so many benefits for the the HAL, Gosford and the NRL in someone actually caring about a good regional stadium that needs some love. I could go on about Councils forever but overall we could easily do without them. FFA talk about clubs being self sufficient and making money, stadium rights and ownership is a good answer. Our so called little club could really pull their own weight with this change so where is the backing. Wake up Oz and support football as a summer sport and keep your knuckle dragging fetish to winter but stop impacting other sports. I've had a few pints and this is a rant but on GF long weekend it annoys me and shows their insecurities. TV ratings talk and mine will not be tuned into either this weekend as all I care about is next week and the start of the HAL.

scottmac

Suspended

The mariners would be all over having more nrl games there in the off season id they had the management rights. The nrl would find a better stadium as would the spectators. I think the nrl would enjoy better managers of the stadium. Supposing that we get the management right that is.
The only people seriously fighting for a team on the coast that i know of are loyal to league bit not the coast. They just tried to bring gold coast here FFS and they were a part of the failed northern eagles so they know that would have been a very hard sell. The media peeps you speak of couldn't give 2 shits about who controls that stadium. That's why there is no league team there.

Last edited:

pjennings

The HAL clubs need to start controlling some stadiums. There is no conflict with the NRL at our stadium - we would want them to play there, just at the right time.

Ideally we will be one that does.

If the club can control the stadium then
  • the money comes to the club - not the council. We can control the experience, make sure food and drink is both affordable but easy to get.
  • we would be stupid to bar NRL games but could control when they are scheduled so as not to upset the condition of the pitch when we are playing.
  • facilities would be improved at a much faster pace (not hard given the current pace)
  • we should be self-sustaining
  • it provides a buffer if in future there is promotion/relegation in that we would still have an income generating stream to win promotion if we were relegated.
From what I gather the Southern Expansion is looking to build a new stadium, probably at Waratah Park Sutherland. The thinking is that eventually Kogarah will close and be redeveloped for medium density housing. While it will be close to Shark Park it is positioned railway wise and road wise better for Dragon fans (both from Sydney and Wollongong) and there will be year round tenants.

Central Coast Stadium rights are essential for the Mariners medium to long term viability. The stadium apparently is structurally 'solid' - it just needs to be brought into this century. Upgrades would be at fraction of the cost of what some bidders for the HAL are looking at spending.

More news on the Southern Expansion stadium below.

Southern Expansion plans new stadium at Loftus and training facility at The Ridge in A-League franchise bid
Murray Trembath
30 Sep 2017, 4 p.m.

The proposed site for the stadium is land between Rawson Avenue and the railway line, which at present is occupied by TAFE and the University of Wollongong.

r114_75_594_293_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Indicative concept plan of Southern Football Stadium at Loftus, subject to stakeholder and community consultations.

Southern Expansion is proposing to build a 25,000 to 30,000 seat stadium at Loftus as its home ground as part of its bid to join the A-League.
In addition, the group would build a “state of the art” training facility at The Ridge Sports Complex at Barden Ridge.

r0_72_617_575_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Proposed stadium site on land occupied by TAFE and the University of Wollongong, between Rawson Avenue and the railway line.

The group says it will fund construction costs of $350 million for the two projects, but would need the state government to lease Crown land for the stadium.

The proposed site for the stadium is land between Rawson Avenue and the railway line, which at present is occupied by TAFE and the University of Wollongong.

r126_14_593_276_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Indicative concept plan of Southern Football Centre of Excellence, Barden Ridge, subject to stakeholder and community consultation. Picture: supplied

Under the plans, existing buildings would be demolished to make way for a boutique stadium, with adjoining new buildings, including community facilities.

The site is not large enough to fit a large public car park, but most spectators would be expected to travel by train.

The bid group has briefed Sutherland Shire Council, and a formal proposal will be discussed by the Services Committee on Tuesday and by the full council later in the month.

A report by council staff recommended “in-principle, non binding support”.

Southern Expansion chief executive Chris Gardiner said they were not seeking council funding.

“All we are asking is for the council, which is supporting our bid, to say in principle they think this is a good proposal,” he said.

“We will then go to TAFE and the state government and show them how we can develop the Loftus site as one of the best sports, civic and educational precincts in the country.

“TAFE sub-leases to the University of Wollongong, with a very small footprint.

”We have had an informal discussion with the university and they said they would be very interested to see what we can come up with.”

Mr Gardiner, said, over the last few months, the group had looked at many sites “from Botany Bay to Berkley” [Wollongong]”.

“The requirements are it has be on a main rail line, with a good shopping centre,” he said.

”Like Parramatta, you would be walking past eateries to the stadium.

“Loftus does it.

“It is served by two stations and it’s on the main rail line that connects the communities we represent – St George, Sutherland Shire and the Illawarra.

“It’s 500 metres from the station and adjoins a fantastic town centre.

“We have a basic principle that we are not going to do anything at the expense of existing football fields or sporting groups.

“This proposal does not affect Waratah Park at all.”

Mr Gardiner said the site was definitely large enough.

“One of my happiest days was when an architect showed me how you could fit a 25,000 to 30,000 seat stadium in there,” he said.

Mr Gardiner said parking and traffic arrangements would be the subject of consultation with the council and community once the group received in-principle support.

Mr Gardiner said the stadium was planned for the “medium term”, and could be built within five years.

In the meantime, the new team would play out of local stadia.

Mr Gardiner said locating a new training facility at Barden Ridge was “a no-brainer”.

“The shire is central to our region and there is a great sports precinct at Barden Ridge,which we can enhance with our state of the art training centre,” he said.

The report by council staff recommended the council provide in-principle, non-binding support to Southern Expansion for its proposal for entry into the A-League and W-League subject to:

• The stadium and related competition facilities being wholly located on Crown land at Rawson Avenue, Loftus.
  • All training facilities located at The Ridge Sports Complex conditional upon existing sporting and established activity groups not being disadvantaged.
  • No construction, maintenance and/or ongoing operational costs borne by council.
  • The proposal demonstrating it would appropriately address all environmental, social and traffic/traffic/parking impacts.
  • There being community support for the bid.
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4953622/new-stadium-at-loftus-in-a-league-plans/

Insertnamehere

Whats the council looking like after the elections? Does it seem there are people conducive to letting franchise do what it needs to?

rbakersmith

Whats the council looking like after the elections? Does it seem there are people conducive to letting franchise do what it needs to?

Here's the breakdown:

Labor: Doug Vincent & Jillian Hogan (Budgewoi), Jeff Sundstrom (Gosford East), Richard Mehrtens (Gosford West), Lisa Matthews (The Entrance), Kyle MacGregor (Wyong)
Liberal: Rebecca Gale Collins (Gosford East), Troy Marquart (Gosford West), Jilly Pilon (The Entrance), Chris Burke (Wyong)
Central Coast New Independents: Mayor Jane Smith (Gosford East), Louise Greenaway (Wyong)
Independent: Greg Best (Budgewoi), Deputy Mayor Chris Holstein (Gosford West), Bruce McLachlan (The Entrance)

midfielder

Excuse my lack of knowledge on these matters..

But who makes the decision on the stadium is it the Council's senior management or elected officials.

style_cafe

Excuse my lack of knowledge on these matters..

But who makes the decision on the stadium is it the Council's senior management or elected officials.
The elected officials make the decision but the council`s senior management do the review & make the recommendations to them.

Insertnamehere

Here's the breakdown:

Labor: Doug Vincent & Jillian Hogan (Budgewoi), Jeff Sundstrom (Gosford East), Richard Mehrtens (Gosford West), Lisa Matthews (The Entrance), Kyle MacGregor (Wyong)
Liberal: Rebecca Gale Collins (Gosford East), Troy Marquart (Gosford West), Jilly Pilon (The Entrance), Chris Burke (Wyong)
Central Coast New Independents: Mayor Jane Smith (Gosford East), Louise Greenaway (Wyong)
Independent: Greg Best (Budgewoi), Deputy Mayor Chris Holstein (Gosford West), Bruce McLachlan (The Entrance)
Is Greg Best still getting elected purely on preference deals? Fk moi!

MagpieMariner

Here's the breakdown:

Add 1 to the Liberals. Holstein independant? No way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami