• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM v Newcastle Jets 23rd Dec

Forum Phoenix

Well that was tough to take, while I am not as emotionally connected to this derby as most, it was very painful to lose that one. Especially when you could see it coming for the entire second half. I was impressed by the spirit we showed for portions of the game, where has that been this season? But I felt even that spirit and enthusiasm went missing at times, there were simple pressure acts that we didn't always perform, simple passes that we missed and a simple lack of defensive structure at key moments.

My thoughts on our players:

Adam Pearce:
While he is clearly not ready for the A-League and could have done much more for Jets' second goal and on the Jets' set pieces in general, I thought he probably had his best match for us. His attempted save at the first goal was horrific, it should have been relatively easy to deal with. He needs to command his box better and be far cleaner when catching the ball but you could at least see the potential he has today. Even if Kennedy is able to play next week I would pick Pearce over him, though if Munford and Gauci are anywhere near A-League level they deserve an opportunity.

Matt Millar:
Was by far our best player though he did fade in the second half. His marauding runs were a highlight of the first half and I can't remember a more pinpoint cross in my time as a Mariners' then the one he managed for his assist.
He combined well with Andrew Hoole down the right hand side and played through some very clever and well weighted balls. While his defensive aerial abilities are nothing to write home about, he allowed a free header for Hoffman for the first goal as well as giving away a free header to Jair earlier in the match, he fought for every ball and was rarely beaten in one on ones. He was culpable for the second goal when he was clearly out on his feet and forced Rowles to be dragged out of position. Should be given an opportunity further up the pitch as he is clearly a right winger playing right full back.

Antony Golec:
He was peripheral for most of the game, when not giving away all the ball. He appears to be slowly getting back to the player he was before his injury but a full recovery seems like it will take a long time. His attempted cross field balls were encouraging, and we desperately need to add width when coming out from defence, but his execution was poor. As a senior player in our side he needed to galvanize and marshal our defence, and for the majority of the match there was far too much space between him and Rowles. While this problem partly comes from poor screening from O'Neill/McGlinchey/Melling throughout the game we need to stay far more compact and as the senior player in defence Golec needed to ensure that happened.

Kye Rowles:
Has the makings of a fantastic defender, and in the right environment I think he really could flourish into at the, very least, into an above average A-League player. He has very much proved me wrong from his initial impressions for Brisbane Roar. He consistently makes good interceptions and tackles but often lacks the ability to recover when dragged out of position, with the right experience and structure around him he is one player we could build a team around.

Jack Clisby:
Constantly beaten one and one and allowed cross after cross after cross to be delivered to Newcastle's strikers. Why is he on set piece duty? He did not successfully execute a set piece today and barely has all season. Had his worst performance in a Mariners' shirt to date.

Michael McGlinchey:
Improved on his performance on last week and was positive in possession but was nowhere near the standard required of an A-League visa player. He is not a defensive midfielder and does not know how to tackle, the only positive in keeping him in that position is that it stops Melling from starting. On the ball his first half was good, he was positive and made some good combinations but frankly I except better from a foreign player.

Aidan O'Neill:
Put in a tremendous defensive shift in the first half and successfully screened our back four for the first time this season. Moved the ball quickly and hit the target even with ambitious balls. Sad to see he him go off in the second half but made next to impact in the second half prior to his injury.

Jacob Melling:
Surely McGing was a better option to come off the bench for a tiring Millar? Made no impact on the game albeit with limited minutes.

Mario Shabow:
Was direct, positive and eager to combine with other players. While his decision making could use some work at times he offered more in the 10 role than anyone else has this season. Worked tremendously hard off the ball to create options and deserves to keep his place next week. Needed to be subbed earlier to take control of the midfield.

Josh Macdonald:
Had limited impact but limited opportunities on the ball, came on far too late and did not work as hard as Pain did.

Jordan Murray:
Was far more successful playing centrally last week against Wellington than wide today. Thought he was hard done by to lose his starting spot and if he comes off the bench he needs to be playing as an actual striker.

Andrew Hoole:
Was comprehensively beaten by Georgievski today but worked hard on and off the ball. Was put through into dangerous crossing positions by Millar numerous times only to be unable to cross past Georgievski but did well to offer an option and create space for Millar to run into.

Matt Simon:
Fought hard for the ball as he always does and probably had his best game since returning to the Mariners. Combined well with Shabow and produced a quality headed finish. He needs to offer more off the ball when we have possession, he is far too often static and looking for an unneeded aerial contest.

Connor Pain:
Worked exceptionally hard with and without the ball but had two fantastic opportunities which he spurned. Hard to come down on him after he has been close to being our best player this season but as a now senior player he has to finish at least one of those chances.

Mike Mulvey:
We wanted it more than Newcastle in the first half and it showed, we looked like an A-League standard team who were proud to be professional footballers in the first half. Throughout the match our central defenders allowed too much space between them and their fullbacks. Shabow was a brave selection choice which paid off, but where is Hiariej? Our substitutions were late, why did we wait until the 67th minute to make our first sub when we were quickly losing control of the match. We completely failed to deal with fatigue and adjust to a small alteration to Newcastle's game plan.

The performance was better today and I at least don' feel embarrassed to be a Mariners' fan because of it, we are still off to the worst start in A-League history. There certainly were positives to take out of this match, the opportunities we created as well as the performance of Shabow and Millar, we still gave away far, far too many chances that any other A-League side will comprehensively punish us for. Newcastle came without their shooting boots today and even with a much improved defence we continued to give away chances. Without a huge amount of luck I can at best see us at best getting two wins out of this season.
Great post JP. Spot on in all ways for mine.

The pressing bothers me. In both how we do it. And how we cope with it.

Good pressing is done as a team, drives me crazy (beyond a striker exerting a little extra pressure) watching individuals press and teams easily pass around them. You have to be awake and respond and support your own team mates press as fast as you possibly can.

Conversely... Fortunately for us the scum aren’t great at pressing, when we’ve played the sides that are, it’s been ugly and we get Golec and others (like Melling) coughing up the ball regularly.

Today scum allowed Golec to carry it forward, and so he should, he has to draw a man and lay off, but when he does run, our forwards have to have much better movement so that he has a clear pass/option open to him, today still too much standing flat with an opposing player a couple yards off and set to pounce... do that and the big fella gets confused where to put it and if he goes back into his shell and doesn’t carry, we’ll struggle to work it forward as per usual.

Also the switching play, disappoints me to see professional footballers unable to hit those balls even somewhat regularly. Lack of quality shows and damn but I miss the days of those raking balls from patty Z.

Mulvey, Charlesworth, Shaun...

Visa spots. Next year, four technically high caliber German or Dutch players. Players from nations who consistently produce players who don’t make so many unforced errors and can handle pressure and read games properly.

1 top shelf, pudding, injury and attitude free striker, 1 CB, 1 CDM, 1 RM, and a South American 10 please. Then build around that.

Last edited:

Michael

Okay, so being 1-0 up at half time was an incredible feeling to be abdolutely honest and seeing matty sticking it to the scum in our ground was brilliant. Only moments before were me and my mates speaking of the times Hutcho did that. I also feel embarrassed for having that genuine feeling of being stoked to up at half time. Because it sums up the absolute horrendous shit we have to support. And how far we have and continue to fall.

So I ask this..
We had our members forum to basically ask Shaun and Mike C “what the f**k is going on”. We can keep asking Mike C that question now, his answer will be “well I gave you a credible coach and I opened up the wallet” those players that came with the opened wallet have been injured, a fair enough excuse till a certain point. But they didn’t perform well enough when fit.
Some fringe players (Murray and Shabow) haven’t had a true enough chance to show us what they’re about and how much they care so I exclude them from my next phase of this rant....

Why the f**k can we not have a sit down forum with the coaching staff and especially the players (because despite mulveys questionable tactics and decisions in the last month, it basically falls back on the players) and ask 2.5 questions.

Do you f**king care about the pain the fans of the club that gives you the gift of a career in the world game, are in? Because f**k me, for awhile now, we genuinely take the piss out of ourselves because if you can’t laugh you’ll cry.

Are you genuinely embarrassed by the either the shit you dish out as a pro footballe or on the odd occasion you dish out decent effort and football, are you embarrassed by the mental crumbling that leads to matches being thrown away?

Because I’m at the point where I don’t believe the players consider these things. I’m at the point where until convinced otherwise 95% of these blokes in our playing staff and coaching staff are just happy to be in the position to be able to pick up a decent weekly pay to kick a ball around.

Michael

And the people considering who we should/could sign in January. Unless contracts are torn up or in the craziest circumstance we’re offered a fee for some one. We ain’t getting jack f**king shit in.

Scotty

The team list comprises NPL and A-league graveyard players, BUT we looked like a proper A-League team for the first half. Gotta take that as a positive. I was sitting in the western stand with family and enjoyed hearing the support from Bay 16. I did pop over to get a couple of red cards, great job!

After Matty's goal, I would have rather seen him run around to our supporters and get us fired up.

I hope MM builds on the Derby, without changing too much. It's clear that we are not at A-League fitness levels and our movement is too slow. Let's work on that.

The club should focus on scouting a top class S&C trainer. We still look like we are in pre-season.

Insertnamehere

And the people considering who we should/could sign in January. Unless contracts are torn up or in the craziest circumstance we’re offered a fee for some one. We ain’t getting jack f**king shit in.
We have 1 spot free and a visa player on loan who doesn't really want to be here. That gives us 2 players we can bring in.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
First half was fkn brilliant-ish...proper derby like, Matt Millar was roaring along, Hell nearly all of them were having a dig ,e crept Hoole his still a f**ktard, even Pearce made a decent save (once) then because of the rules of the game we had to have a ten minute break, we’re apparently the gaffer told them to stop trying to do stuff that might get them in trouble with that fkn nitwit referee...so they did
Shabow done good, but being the same height as me he kept getting bounced of the ball, Kye and O’Neill done good Painy was up for it as well
WeeMc had his best 45 this stint and Matty Simon was being Matty Simon, him and Boogs were having tons of fun, then like I said we had to stop for smoko and oranges BIG FKN MISTAKE

2nd half was f**ked 10 minutes in , everyone faded then our lord and master brought on JMuzz who played out of position and Josh Mc who came on so late he couldn’t get into it , and Melling is well...NOT FKN TOMMY....Who may get a fkn run against Perth now MULVEY ARE YOU LISTENING YOU TWAT, fkn Mulvey “oh I’m gonna give the younguns a go this week” and then they all play NYL and can’t ..f**k me

now I’m a technical nitwit so I can offer no superlatives as relates to playing but all I do know I is, we got a shitload of games still to go and I can’t see this team being the same team come season end...also I have to ask, how much of this shit were in is Monty’s fault❓and don’t get knarky just cause his a Lege, just cause you got the tickets don’t mean you know how to work them

Now to the banner, I see lots of people on social media whining about the content of said banner , WHY? Are the players gonna get really offended ? GOOD, the banner would of been 4 times larger and we all woulda been banned for life if I made it
The ticket holders should have a say, no cnut at Mariner towers is listening but we can have a say...AND how the f**k did that bird in the Jests jersey and her two bogan mates get into Bay 16...I tried to get into the bay once completely marinated out and the suckurity wouldn’t let me in ...this fkn comp is odd, we had scummers spread all over the top deck of the western stand ...Go sit with your own kind you arsehats,
you wouldn’t have a say in the old country....

Big Al

In the first half we actually went from the left back To the middle then switched to the right. Was nice to see us use the whole field instead of getting stuck on the sidelines. Getting to the middle opens everything up

Wombat

I saw her when I came back with beers. She was crying loudly into a phone at the back of the bay telling someone about her broken heart. I think she thought she was on a reality tv show....stupid slapper.

She was sitting towards the front with a Butch looking shim with a Members lanyard on.

Ozhammer

Okay, so being 1-0 up at half time was an incredible feeling to be abdolutely honest and seeing matty sticking it to the scum in our ground was brilliant. Only moments before were me and my mates speaking of the times Hutcho did that. I also feel embarrassed for having that genuine feeling of being stoked to up at half time. Because it sums up the absolute horrendous shit we have to support. And how far we have and continue to fall.

So I ask this..
We had our members forum to basically ask Shaun and Mike C “what the f**k is going on”. We can keep asking Mike C that question now, his answer will be “well I gave you a credible coach and I opened up the wallet” those players that came with the opened wallet have been injured, a fair enough excuse till a certain point. But they didn’t perform well enough when fit.
Some fringe players (Murray and Shabow) haven’t had a true enough chance to show us what they’re about and how much they care so I exclude them from my next phase of this rant....

Why the f**k can we not have a sit down forum with the coaching staff and especially the players (because despite mulveys questionable tactics and decisions in the last month, it basically falls back on the players) and ask 2.5 questions.

Do you f**king care about the pain the fans of the club that gives you the gift of a career in the world game, are in? Because f**k me, for awhile now, we genuinely take the piss out of ourselves because if you can’t laugh you’ll cry.

Are you genuinely embarrassed by the either the shit you dish out as a pro footballe or on the odd occasion you dish out decent effort and football, are you embarrassed by the mental crumbling that leads to matches being thrown away?

Because I’m at the point where I don’t believe the players consider these things. I’m at the point where until convinced otherwise 95% of these blokes in our playing staff and coaching staff are just happy to be in the position to be able to pick up a decent weekly pay to kick a ball around.
We spoke to Simon, Golec and Rowles post game and I can tell you 100% those three were gutted by the result, so they certainly do care imo.

Whilst I am hurting as much as everyone else about the pain we continue to go through, I am going to keep backing the boys to get through it and give us performances to bring some hope that the corner has been turned.

Our biggest problem is not that the team lacks heart, more that it presently lacks the requisite quality to win games rather than pluckily lose them. I hope to get a chance to speak with MC during his visit here and really need him to understand that point.

Have a good Christmas everyone and hope to see all of you at the NYE game.

Insertnamehere

In the first half we actually went from the left back To the middle then switched to the right. Was nice to see us use the whole field instead of getting stuck on the sidelines. Getting to the middle opens everything up
Still too much backpassing and not enough go forward with some good movement off the ball to assist

Michael

We spoke to Simon, Golec and Rowles post game and I can tell you 100% those three were gutted by the result, so they certainly do care imo.

Whilst I am hurting as much as everyone else about the pain we continue to go through, I am going to keep backing the boys to get through it and give us performances to bring some hope that the corner has been turned.

Our biggest problem is not that the team lacks heart, more that it presently lacks the requisite quality to win games rather than pluckily lose them. I hope to get a chance to speak with MC during his visit here and really need him to understand that point.

Have a good Christmas everyone and hope to see all of you at the NYE game.

I won’t ever doubt that matty loves this club and cares as much if not more than most of us. And I’ve grown to love Rowles this season. I’d put them in the 5% along with Monty. Golec, I just wish he’d react differently to situations when we’re up against the wall. I know his injury would’ve no doubt destroyed him mentally. And he is surely sub consciously still recovering.

Ozhammer, I hope you and a few of the other intelligible posters on this forum do get a real sit down talk with Mike C, and Shaun, when he’s here.

turbo

And he is surely sub consciously still recovering.

It doesn’t help him regain confidence when we’re constantly turning the ball over and putting the defence under the pump needlessly. If we can stabilise the midfield I think that goes a long way towards helping the backs regain confidence and stamp out the silly mistakes. We were either last or second last for possession heading in to this weekend, that’s a lot of defensive pressure.

Wombat

It doesn’t help him regain confidence when we’re constantly turning the ball over and putting the defence under the pump needlessly. If we can stabilise the midfield I think that goes a long way towards helping the backs regain confidence and stamp out the silly mistakes. We were either last or second last for possession heading in to this weekend, that’s a lot of defensive pressure.

We had 51% possession. Its very marginal but its the 1st time we have had more possession this season.

Spacks

I'd rather the team just have a crack more often then trying to cross it from the wings everytime. Seems pretty predictable what we do every game imo

Forum Phoenix

Yeah I know. I was talking next season not Jan window. I’m not expecting any cavalry - possibly a replacement for McPudding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred