• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM v Newcastle Jets 23rd Dec

Ancient Mariner

Our biggest problem is not that the team lacks heart, more that it presently lacks the requisite quality to win games rather than pluckily lose them. I hope to get a chance to speak with MC during his visit here and really need him to understand that point.

Wombat you have hit the nail on the head. The team has an absence of quality players.

Yesterday, we played a physical game, bustled Newcastle so that they could not settle and play their normal game. However with the ball we were ordinary. Playing that kind of football is exhausting and just about impossible to do, unless, when you have the ball yourself you keep it and let the opposition chase. We could not do that and hence the 2nd half fade.

The players cannot be blamed, they try but are just not good enough.

If you look at the squad, we have only 5 players of A-League standard, McCormack, Oar, Tommy, O'Neil and Paine. Of those only O'Neil and Paine are getting on the pitch and I suspect O'Neil will be out for a while.
Of the rest their are 2 or 3 who may in the future may come up to scratch.
The rest of the squad is either past it, long term injured or are just simply not good enough.

The top sides in this comp have 4 or 5 players of above A-League standard and probably 10 or 11 players up to standard.

This squad would have to be the weakest that the Club has ever fielded and is clearly the weakest in the League by a long shot. Abusing players for their lack of skill is pointless, they are probably as gutted as the rest of us.

Also, there is no use crying over injuries most of those injured had them when they signed.

If we get a win this year I will be amazed.

Who is to blame?

1) The coaching and management staff?
In terms of getting the players playing well enough to win, I think for the above reasons, that would be beyond the most skilful of staffs. So that would be a tough call.
In terms of recruitment. Most definitely. The recruitment showed a couple of things. MM has been out of touch with the quality of the A-League and the players for too long and he also saw players abilities as they were "back when". Signing players from the past, who are past it, to bring back the CCM spirit was wrong. You sign players that can play and who you can instill that spirit.
Long term injured players, eg Gamiero are a long shot gamble as are NPL players. Unfortunately these make up a lot of the squad.
The only excuse that can be made s that they had to sign a lot of players in a short period of time and many players would not want to come here.

2) The owner?
Clearly all problems over the last few years have come from the lack of investment and MC is to blame.
Is it because MC cannot afford it?
Is it because he would not spend more than the bare minimum to keep the Club afloat until the A-League became independent and he would then invest?
Is it because he is investing the minimum until he finds a buyer and can recover his initial investment?
Only he can answer these questions.

How do we see him?
If he walks away and the Club collapses. I guess we see him as someone who spent a lot of money and tried to save us and failed. "Thanks for trying."
If he sells the licence and a new owner comes in and revitalises the Club. We see him as the saviour who kept us on life support when we needed it. "Thanks, a lot of pain, but we both walk away smiling."
If he sells the licence to say South Melbourne and the FFA allows this. "Thanks for nothing, don't dare show your face on the Coast again, your safety cannot be guaranteed."
If, when the A-League is independent he invests what it takes to have a team that is truly competitive and in with a chance and continues this way. "Welcome aboard, what are you drinking."

How will he jump? Remember he is a businessman.

Whatever happens it must happen soon. Very interesting times.

Antlion

So what happened to O'Neill? Collarbone? When was it?
I watched a replay after taking the littluns to the carols - when the scum scored their second I cut straight to the end and seeing the score no different didn't bother watching the last 15mins

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
werent we a man down after Oneill busted his shoulder?....
Murray for shabow
Mellng for Hoole
Josh Mc for Conor....by gingos I think we were

Antlion

Credit to Shabow who made a few chances and took a few shots. Unfortunately his shots were usually straight into his defender so once he works that part of his game out we might have another attacking option.

Is 'another' the correct word to use right now?

style_cafe

Millar seemed to tire in the second half and when he cut in he got lost and didn’t know what to do or couldn’t use his left foot.
He also stopped taking them on in the second which I think was fatigue but he is doing well considering was playing NPL.
Millar was a gun in the first half but tired in the second.
He needs a few more games and be coached to attack the box.
Once he gets into the box it`s a whole new ball game for us.
Murray needs a few starts too...
This season is gone so start bringing in next seasons players and give them some experience.

style_cafe

Contemplated lobbing the remains of my beer for a moment but I didnt need the drama or beating. Maybe most people missed it but I was pretty shocked to see it happen.

The guys up the back definitely brought the noise to keep things going it just felt super awkward when some things fell flat. I get the reasons behind the negative stuff but when it takes off more than most chants it’s a shame. There were people a row or two away from the megaphone not even acknowledging the guys trying and it kills me to see that kind of thing when people are putting themselves out there.

Where was the big megaphone?????????????

Insertnamehere

Millar was a gun in the first half but tired in the second.
He needs a few more games and be coached to attack the box.
Once he gets into the box it`s a whole new ball game for us.
Murray needs a few starts too...
This season is gone so start bringing in next seasons players and give them some experience.
I think he'll have learnt alot from just having that good result when he cut into the box

Antlion

I know what to do going forward.

Millar and Murray as out-field players. EVERYONE else in goals.

We won't win any but 18 nil all draws would bring us up to 20 points for the season. Much better than our worst season of 13 points and better than the 2 or 3 points we look like getting this season

Wombat

Wombat you have hit the nail on the head. The team has an absence of quality players.

Yesterday, we played a physical game, bustled Newcastle so that they could not settle and play their normal game. However with the ball we were ordinary. Playing that kind of football is exhausting and just about impossible to do, unless, when you have the ball yourself you keep it and let the opposition chase. We could not do that and hence the 2nd half fade.

The players cannot be blamed, they try but are just not good enough.

If you look at the squad, we have only 5 players of A-League standard, McCormack, Oar, Tommy, O'Neil and Paine. Of those only O'Neil and Paine are getting on the pitch and I suspect O'Neil will be out for a while.
Of the rest their are 2 or 3 who may in the future may come up to scratch.
The rest of the squad is either past it, long term injured or are just simply not good enough.

The top sides in this comp have 4 or 5 players of above A-League standard and probably 10 or 11 players up to standard.

This squad would have to be the weakest that the Club has ever fielded and is clearly the weakest in the League by a long shot. Abusing players for their lack of skill is pointless, they are probably as gutted as the rest of us.

Also, there is no use crying over injuries most of those injured had them when they signed.

If we get a win this year I will be amazed.

Who is to blame?

1) The coaching and management staff?
In terms of getting the players playing well enough to win, I think for the above reasons, that would be beyond the most skilful of staffs. So that would be a tough call.
In terms of recruitment. Most definitely. The recruitment showed a couple of things. MM has been out of touch with the quality of the A-League and the players for too long and he also saw players abilities as they were "back when". Signing players from the past, who are past it, to bring back the CCM spirit was wrong. You sign players that can play and who you can instill that spirit.
Long term injured players, eg Gamiero are a long shot gamble as are NPL players. Unfortunately these make up a lot of the squad.
The only excuse that can be made s that they had to sign a lot of players in a short period of time and many players would not want to come here.

2) The owner?
Clearly all problems over the last few years have come from the lack of investment and MC is to blame.
Is it because MC cannot afford it?
Is it because he would not spend more than the bare minimum to keep the Club afloat until the A-League became independent and he would then invest?
Is it because he is investing the minimum until he finds a buyer and can recover his initial investment?
Only he can answer these questions.

How do we see him?
If he walks away and the Club collapses. I guess we see him as someone who spent a lot of money and tried to save us and failed. "Thanks for trying."
If he sells the licence and a new owner comes in and revitalises the Club. We see him as the saviour who kept us on life support when we needed it. "Thanks, a lot of pain, but we both walk away smiling."
If he sells the licence to say South Melbourne and the FFA allows this. "Thanks for nothing, don't dare show your face on the Coast again, your safety cannot be guaranteed."
If, when the A-League is independent he invests what it takes to have a team that is truly competitive and in with a chance and continues this way. "Welcome aboard, what are you drinking."

How will he jump? Remember he is a businessman.

Whatever happens it must happen soon. Very interesting times.

Errh...that was Oz Hammer not me but yeah im happy to take the plaudits AM..............maybe one less dram wee mon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred