• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Attendance figures

Jorome Alexander Bennett

The novelty has warn off.

Cue new clubs. Next season should be good. Expansion is coming at a good time. Freshen up the comp, add a few stars. Media interest. Avoid the olympics, although I don't think they would of had that much of an effect.

But we won't have new clubs join every season. Now it is plateauing. this will be staved by new clubs and will again after new clubs. But after that there will be a real sense of the league's true interest level.

Then we will host the world cup and the numbers will go through the roof.

EastEnder

scottmac said:
Guns of Melbourne said:
nero said:
I can't believe Melbourne haven't gone with a big Marquee.

Archie Thompson's not a big Marquee?

Pretty sure he's scored a fair few goals than any other marquee (or any other player) out there. He also still holds the world record (although someone recently equaled it) for most goals scored in an international game.

You could hardly call someone whose only influence has been in Australia, a BIG marquee.

Beat me to it, T.

Like Aloisi?

bulldogmariner

EastEnder said:
scottmac said:
Guns of Melbourne said:
nero said:
I can't believe Melbourne haven't gone with a big Marquee.

Archie Thompson's not a big Marquee?

Pretty sure he's scored a fair few goals than any other marquee (or any other player) out there. He also still holds the world record (although someone recently equaled it) for most goals scored in an international game.

You could hardly call someone whose only influence has been in Australia, a BIG marquee.

Beat me to it, T.

Like Aloi$i?

Archie is the best Marquee the league has seen! All time leading goal scorer could be playing in Europe but calls Melbourne home!! The supporters love him and is recognisable around the country and people either love him or love to hate him because he is so good. Melbourne have always been smart with recruitment and Thompson has always featured!

When Mile comes off contract and he is happy to stay we should make him a marquee! Scum are doing it with sackwacker! There is no way you can offer the position to overseas talent as Sydney have shown with the exception of Dwight Yorke!

Local Australian talent will bring the crowds back in and with the NYL starting friday we get to see the new bread of footballers!

Unless someone throws money around like the LA Galaxy did with Beckham to attract one of the better players in the world- we should be producing our own local talent and present these players to the fans! This will increase crowds.

Paolo

FFA keeps marketing powder dry but admits numbers aren't adding up
Sebastian Hassett
September 23, 2008

FOOTBALL Federation Australia will wait until the end of the AFL and NRL seasons before it unloads a marketing blitz to help counteract the sluggish attendances which have blighted the opening five rounds of the new A-League season.

The depth of the problem was revealed at the weekend with two of the game's biggest-drawing teams, Sydney and Queensland, failing to draw sizeable numbers despite playing marquee matches against old rivals Adelaide and reigning premiers Newcastle respectively.

Just more than 12,000 turned up for each game, about 4000 below last season's average home gate for each club. In Gosford on Saturday night, a shade more than 9000 fans came to watch the Mariners take on Melbourne Victory, fewer than half the 18,686 who saw their previous encounter, on New Year's Eve at Bluetongue Stadium. Even worse was to follow a day later, when a pitiful 4433 turned up as Perth recorded their first win of the season, at home to Wellington, a game which drew more than 7100 last season.

The combined figure amounted to 38,008, the lowest of the year so far, undercutting the 38,788 total from round two that initially gave oxygen to concerns about how the competition's crowds would fare after successive years of growth.

While Football Federation Australian still refuses to allow A-League chief Rob Abernathy to speak with the media, head of corporate and public affairs Bonita Mersiades said there was a growing concern about the crowds. "Look, it's disappointing and it's obviously something that we're going to be talking to the clubs about," Mersiades told the Herald yesterday. "We think there are a range of circumstances as to why [crowds are down] and we're actively working with clubs and the senior officials within clubs about improving those figures.

"One of the things we're looking at with crowds is what they're doing and why they're doing it. If you look across a range of activities, whether it be sport or other, it's probably fair to say crowds are not as high as they might normally be."

Mersiades said while the FFA had substantially lifted the funds available for advertising, the timing of the A-League's start meant it would have been prohibitively expensive to promote the league as much as it would have liked.

"The marketing budget has increased, but because of the impact of the Olympics, we haven't cut in yet with the marketing and advertising budget," she said. "The sheer cost of advertising during the Olympics and now the finals series of the other two competitions is very high, so it has been timed to have a much bigger impact once all that is over."

Having made an effort to promote the A-League as a summer sport, Mersiades believes this, and the current global financial squeeze, could also be affecting crowds.

"Generally the pattern of the A-League is that the crowds are low at the beginning and then they start picking up, I think that's for a number of reasons," she said. "The current economic climate could have some bearing on whether people come to games or not. Up to last weekend, weather had an impact as well, particularly as we started earlier this year in August

"The competition is very much positioned as being a summer competition, even if it's usually a winter sport usually for those who have played it. As the season goes on and those other competitions stop, there is less competition."

Mersiades added while Perth had "not yet" offered a reason for their particularly poor attendances, the FFA would work with the club to solve its crowd woes.

Atomic

keensy said:
In Gosford on Saturday night, a shade more than 9000 fans came to watch the Mariners take on Melbourne Victory, fewer than half the 18,686 who saw their previous encounter, on New Year's Eve at Bluetongue Stadium.

Spurious comparison... comparing a crowd number like last weekend (in the middle of the NRL/ALF finals & the Coaster festival) with our marquee event, i.e. NYE... It just goes to show that you can use statistics to prove any point you want... Statistics never lie, liers use statistics.

Paolo

Atomic said:
keensy said:
In Gosford on Saturday night, a shade more than 9000 fans came to watch the Mariners take on Melbourne Victory, fewer than half the 18,686 who saw their previous encounter, on New Year's Eve at Bluetongue Stadium.
It just goes to show that you can use statistics to prove any point you want... Statistics never lie, liers use statistics.
"Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent.  Fourfty percent of all people know that"

simp2006_HomerArmsCrossed_f.jpg

Guns of Melbourne

I was disappointed with the crowd, especially after I had spent all day walking around Gosford telling my wife that I was in awe of how the entire community had gotten behind this team and how I wished that sort of thing happened in Melbourne where we may have bumper crowds, but the true sense of community amongst true fans of football is very few and far between.

kevrenor

Guns of Melbourne said:
I was disappointed with the crowd, especially after I had spent all day walking around Gosford telling my wife that I was in awe of how the entire community had gotten behind this team and how I wished that sort of thing happened in Melbourne where we may have bumper crowds, but the true sense of community amongst true fans of football is very few and far between.

HAL3  R2 - 9,052 (Frid 31/8/07 vs Wellington), R5 - 9,274 (Sun 23/9 vs Perth Glory)
HAL4  R1 - 10,932 (Sat 16/8/08 vs SFC), R5 - 9,010 (Sat 20/9/08 vs MVFC)

Bex

Good point Kevrenor. And there was no coaster last year either and that could easily account for the 264 people that we were short last week.

The media are also beating it up. They continually compare crowd numbers with season averages. During the last few home games last year, we around 20,000 at each game. Its patently obvious that crowd numbers should rise during the season, particulary if the team is heading for a semi-finals berth. Your comparison is much fairer.

marinersman

There is no doubt that our crowds will get bigger and night time winter games/local Football finals etc have an impact on crowds. Not so sure about the eggballers finals chestnut though. Last time I checked, there is no eggballer team from the Coast, but anyway.

However, I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare last season's first two rounds with this year. Perth and the sheep cannot be compared with the choppers and the tards for crowds. Perth and Wellington are the worst two teams in the competition last year and this year. Hardly drawcards and won't pull a decent crowd at BT.

Sydney and Melbourne on the other hand are huge drawcards. Melbourne top of the table on a balmy Saturday night should be 13-14-15,000 and Sydney the same.

You can come up with excuses for anything if you want to. The fact is we have record membership and with the exception of the scum, we;ve played the two biggest drawing teams in the HAL and our two crowds have been disappointing. I'd rather hear of remedies than excuses. Why does everything about the HAL have to be sugarcoated all the time?

Jesus

Jesus
ID wait til post finals in other codes before jumping the gun. Every year we pick up after that. As lyall was quoted as saying

Paolo

I have been conducting some research on the mariners crowds for last few years and came to a shocking conclusion.....i have drawn a graph to represent these findings(make sure you are sitting down for it)

ccmcrowds.jpg

Bex

marinersman said:
You can come up with excuses for anything if you want to. The fact is we have record membership and with the exception of the scum, we;ve played the two biggest drawing teams in the HAL and our two crowds have been disappointing. I'd rather hear of remedies than excuses. Why does everything about the HAL have to be sugarcoated all the time?

Why do you have to shit coat it? Yes, we've played the two biggest teams. For the Sydney game, we had a bigger crowd than same time last year on a Friday night that was cold and wet. For the Melbourne game, we had virtually the same crowd as last year whilst there was a one off festival happening in town. How is that "sugar-coating" anything? They're facts and they would definitely play a part in the numbers.

And yes, your facts also play a part in the numbers and I'm sure everyone would like to see more fans at the games.

But, as you said, we've got more members than ever before. The sky is not falling on our head yet. If the spectator numbers don't pick up after the NRL grand final then I'll start to agree with you.

marinersman

Bex said:
marinersman said:

Why do you have to shit coat it? Yes, we've played the two biggest teams. For the Sydney game, we had a bigger crowd than same time last year on a Friday night that was cold and wet. For the Melbourne game, we had virtually the same crowd as last year whilst there was a one off festival happening in town. How is that "sugar-coating" anything? They're facts and they would definitely play a part in the numbers.

And yes, your facts also play a part in the numbers and I'm sure everyone would like to see more fans at the games.

But, as you said, we've got more members than ever before. The sky is not falling on our head yet. If the spectator numbers don't pick up after the NRL grand final then I'll start to agree with you.

I'm not shit coating anything bex and as I said, crowds will improve. I'm merely stating my opinion that I'm disappointed games against Sydney and Melbourne have drawn relatively poor crowds and I hoped for better. I'm not being doom and gloom and certainly didn't want to come across that way.

marconigirl

Crowd figures on downward spiral

By Ray Gatt
September 23, 2008
A-LEAGUE crowds continue to slide this season, highlighted by concerns over the poor figures for one-time powerhouse club Perth Glory.

Latest figures show the aggregate crowd attendance up to and including round five is 235,939, down 39,621 for the same period last season. It is also a drop on season one (down 5402) and season two (4474).

Glory, by far the biggest drawing club during the latter part of the old National Soccer League, managed just 4433 fans for its 1-0 win over Wellington Phoenix at Members Equity Stadium. It has attracted a meagre 21,512 to its three home games this season, the worst-drawing club in the A-League.

Perth officials blame the poor turnout on bad weather and the fact there were several high profile sporting events in the city at the same time. They are confident the fans will come back.

But Glory is not the only club feeling the pinch.

New Zealand club Wellington Phoenix has drawn just 23,663 to three home matches, down more than 15,000 for the same period last season.

Queensland Roar (5176), Sydney FC (3722) and Melbourne Victory (3495) have also recorded a drop in attendances after five rounds.

Only the Central Coast Mariners has shown an increase with an extra 1616 going through the gates compared to last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred