• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Asian Champions League 2008 - 'official thread'

serious14

Wow........... I think that was the very definition of "owned".

Was hoping for a cheeky Adelaide goal at the end to make a game of it in the return leg.  I'm sure Adelaide can score 3 at home, but it's keeping Gamba out that is going to be the problem.

marinersman

Men against boys. Absolute masterclass from Gamba. They were brilliant.

Their passing and movement up front was something else. They should be in the UEFA CL, not the ACL.

From a purely Football point of view, a joy to watch. I loved the fact they brought on more attackers to try and completely kill the tie off. It was a breath of fresh air and very rare in the modern game.

Mariner Girl

kevrenor said:
goingtoadisco said:
very dissapointing result.

Yep, but weren't Gamba good, and their support non-stop!

Struth, we are going to have to be good next year!

I am SO glad you said that. Remember guys, some of these Asian clubs have represented their league in this competition since the late in 1960's (sure it's had a few name names).
This isn't going to be a kiddies playground we're stepping into next year.
Poor Adelaide just had no answer to Gamba's speed in which they played the match.

It is going to be hard for Adelaide, especially without Ange and Eurgene because of their yellow card situation, but we have shown twice that you can come back from 3-0 down! :pirashoot:

serious14

*shudders to think how many our defence would have leaked in tonight*

Hope we shore up the squad a bit before our turn comes around......

ponno

i didnt realise how good gamba was .... I put $50 on the reds to win ... foolish move.... gamba were all class

Bex

serious14 said:

Yeh, if the Mariners were playing it would have finished drawn at 14-14.

Ted

The Reds were easily out classed. Gamba capitalized on defensive blunders and when you play a quality team such as Gamba you really need to have a rock solid defence.

Mariner Girl

Gamba also routed Urawa Reds in the semis - no mean feat!
The JLeague clubs are so heavily backed financially they jsut keep churning out the quality players, both local and Brazilians.

Adelaide need some defenders for the 2nd leg due to the suspensions of Cornflakes, Ange and Eurgene. They need speed in the defence to keep up the likes of Endo. Get Tony Vidmar out of retirement!  :pirashoot:

Plus they need to score 3-4 goals themselves. I know, get Aurelio Vidmar out of retirement!  :pirashoot:

Gav...

Bad Result for Adelaide!

I reckon all the travelling and games they have played in the last few weeks has tired the players out alot and they had no energy, the FFA has done nothing until now and its showing as the players needed mor break between games.

Also look at the financial turnovers between the two teams Gamba 40 Million to Adelaide 7 Million, its going to take alot of hard work for these Australian teams to face up to these bigger asian clubs

serious14

Bex said:
serious14 said:

Yeh, if the Mariners were playing it would have finished drawn at 14-14.

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

I'll pay that, good call.

The Umina Whiner

Gee Gamba were good weren't they!

Hopefully, Cristiano Ronaldo agrees to sign for the Mariners early next year as our Marquee Player. he wouldn't mind a slight pay cut, in return for the CC lifestyle?

David Votoupal

All this hype about how much money Asian and Middle Eastern clubs can spend is fallacy... these clubs do far more to raise countless home-grown players through their ranks.

Look at the midfield Gamba had last night, and you can see why they're able to do what they've done. Therein lies the key.

brett

More like, the extra cash would mean that Adelaide would have fielded the same team, plus guys like Burns and Djite who wouldn't have need to leave, plus guys like Luke Wilkshire or Carl Valeri, because only the very best Australians (as in EPL only) would need to play away from our shores.

That's where the Japanese league is right now - Australia is producing players around the same quality as Japan (see the last few times we've played them internationally - very even) but the top ones we produce don't play in the A-League.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

Yeah, that is exactly what Eugene Galekovic's suspension highlighted to me last night.
In the most important club competition match in Asia, Adelaide will play a goalkeeper who isn't old enough to celebrate in a licensed venue if they win.
The A-league doesn't have the depth to play in Australia and the A-league.
Adelaide's success is a cinderalla story, but they are at the ball still dressed in rags.
Well done to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred