• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

All whites

scottmac

Suspended
dibo said:
and what stops us from having a team from NZ *and* a team from somewhere in Oz? it's not about cutting a finite pie into a certain number of slices, it's about growing the pie!

It should be about growing the game of football. If Oman, Indonesia, Thailand etc, can have their own leagues why not NZ.

marinermick said:
scottmac said:
Paolo said:
scottmac said:
Foriegnmariner said:
I wish OFC would just join AFC so we didn't have this debate about having a team from another confederation in our league.
NZ are good enough to have at least 1 maybe 2 teams in the A-League if they are run like Wellington not NZ Knights.

Even if the two confederations unite it still leaves us with a team from another country.
dibo said:
Kareem said:
u may be in the minority on this forum in your bid for more NZ teams...

i don't care, i know i'm right. :piralaugh:

Sorry, but its a farce that we have a team from NZ and not Canberra, Tasmania, or the South Coast. The forwarding of more teams from there is laughable.
Ever heard of Cardiff or Swansea?

I'm sorry, i miss the similarity between a town 230kms from London and a town 2200kms away from Sydney.

Perth is 4000km from Sydney.

What is youtr point?

Perth is a part of Australia and the FFA have a responsibilty to promote the game in all parts of Australia. Thats why its the FFA and not the FFANZ.

marinermick

Different arguement to your kilometres one.

And how are the FFA not promoting the game in australia?

Having a team in New Zealand and not promoting the game in Australia are not traded off with each other.

Fact is that a New Zealand team makes the A-League competition stronger (as does having Cardiff in the Championship) and brings in vital dollars from Skysports New Zealand.

scottmac

Suspended
marinermick said:
Different arguement to your kilometres one.

And how are the FFA not promoting the game in australia?

Having a team in New Zealand and not promoting the game in Australia are not traded off with each other.

Fact is that a New Zealand team makes the A-League competition stronger (as does having Cardiff in the Championship) and brings in vital dollars from Skysports New Zealand.

I didn't say that the FFA were not promoting the game in Aus, i was pointing out that they have an obligation to promote it in all parts of Aus, not NZ.

Its debatable that the comp is stronger for NZ's inclusion.

If the AFC push the fact of having a NZ team in the A-League do you think the FFA will persist with them at the risk of loosing AFC membership? Are they that much of an asset to the A-League?

dibo

scottmac said:

really? we would have started off with 7 team a-league - nobody else was coming forward. if there'd been more then the FFA/PFA's original preferred option of a 10 team comp would have happened. and this year we'd only have 9 teams. the nz club has better crowd averages than several aussie clubs and is doing well on-field. i think they should be tapped up for a second club.

they provide money and support that we can't get over here. that's how they make the comp stronger.

dru

dibo said:
scottmac said:

really? we would have started off with 7 team a-league - nobody else was coming forward. if there'd been more then the FFA/PFA's original preferred option of a 10 team comp would have happened. and this year we'd only have 9 teams. the nz club has better crowd averages than several aussie clubs and is doing well on-field. i think they should be tapped up for a second club.

they provide money and support that we can't get over here. that's how they make the comp stronger.

I'm happy to leave them in for the moment, although gives us an even round next season if we drop them, then Canberra and Rovers the season after.  :innocent:

By all accounts Sky NZ has screwed it's coverage of the A-league so I could see it not offering much money next time for TV rights. possibly just buy rights for Nix games. Really I can't see them getting a second team, no where is viably going to host it, Auckland never did well crowd wise and pretty much everywhere is Union mad over there. Wellington was the one place it was going to work post NSL tbh and I can't see wellington able to support two teams. Wait for the regional games to see if anywhere else could possibly support a team but I doubt it.

Personally I think the OFC has pretty much done it's dash with out Australia. No professional league any where in the confederation makes it hard to justify it's existence. Bring them into Asia, Asia gets 5 spots to WC ande all the hassles go out the window

Kareem

My apologies
I have inadvertantly hijacked the thread!
New thread?
(not just a-league expansion because it is slightly offtopic there...)

dibo

ACT don't appear to be ready, west sydney even less so, talk of extra teams in victoria or on the south coast or tasmania or wherever seem to be more wishful thinking than genuine planning.

and here we are with a team already in existence, with real crowds and real footballers signed up and people talk about dumping them.

had act have been up and ready and offered a licence in front of rovers, would the anti-welly brigade have argued that west sydney should get welly's spot? a real, live, functioning club ditched for one that is still on paper?

it would have been the height of madness, and what would it get us? it might *maybe* win bin hammamm's favour, and that's assuming that the *only* thing we can do to impress bin hammamm is ditch welly. talk about cutting off noses...

dru

Personally I think it is a dumb decision to have 11 teams next season, given the possibility of 3 weeks of no football in the middle of a season for clubs that happen to have the bye a week before or after an international weekend.

Having wellington remain is not a dumb decision as long as they stay viable, technically they are an Australian team based in New Zealand with concessions made for them to take more New Zealand players. Can avoid all the furore by just not nominating them for an ACL spot if they qualify  :innocent:

dibo

I think they *should* be eligible for an ACL spot. They play in our league, they should be eligible. Don't worry about where they play, they're in an Aussie league. I'm pretty sure we could negotiate these things through were it to come up.

dru

serious14 said:
Is their qualifier against Bahrain on TV there anywhere??  (so I can find a stream etc.  :tv:)
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=51972&part=sports

serious14

dru said:
serious14 said:
Is their qualifier against Bahrain on TV there anywhere??  (so I can find a stream etc.  :tv:)
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=51972&part=sports

*thumbs up*

4.30pm here - will stream whilst Russia belt the living f*ck out of Germany on Sky.

Then to laugh at Argentina later on.  ;)

Forum Phoenix

Looking forward to this NZ game.
Need a pick me up by watching two team plays with everything at stake.
As opposed to nothing at stake... nil all... Dutch snooze fest.

Sean

Bahrain 0 New Zealand 0

October 10, 2009

New Zealand's starting XIManama A heroic defensive display to earn a goalless draw against Bahrain in the away leg of a two match playoff has kept New Zealands dream of making next years FIFA World Cup alive but delicately balanced.

Its now a simple equation for the All Whites when they step out at Westpac Stadium in Wellington for the return leg on November 14. Beat Bahrain to reach the finals of a World Cup for the first time since 1982.

A score draw would be enough for Bahrain as it was in the away leg of their Asian playoff against Saudi Arabia last month while another goalless draw sends the tie to extra time.

In the hot and hostile environment at Bahrain National Stadium, New Zealand were always going to experience periods of pressure but they soaked it all up and found extra energy in the last 20 minutes to trouble Bahrain at the other end.

Much had been made about Ricki Herberts departure from a previously favoured 4-4-1-1 formation to a more attacking 3-4-3 but New Zealands back three of Ivan Vicelich, Ryan Nelsen and Ben Sigmund were dogged and composed, while Leo Bertos was performed admirably in the unaccustomed role of right wing back.

Mark Paston was assured in goal and pulled off a stunning save at his near post to deny Faouzi Mubarak Aaish on the hour and somehow reflexed Mohamed Ahmed Hubails shot over the bar 15 minutes later.

All Whites captain Ryan Nelsen had talked midweek about the need to adjust quickly to the pace of the game in the first 20 minutes but having competently navigated that period, New Zealand were then on the receiving end of a mini onslaught.

A rifled shot from Nigerian born Jaycee John bullet had Mark Paston momentarily worried until it sailed wide, and it sparked the Bahrainis into producing their most dangerous spell.

Sayed Mohamed would have scored if he had connected with a diving header from a 25th minute corner, while Husail Ali Ahmed hit the side netting only moments later.

The All Whites stood firm to regain parity and wouldve been content to ramp up the pressure on the home side by taking them into halftime scoreless.

There were plenty of histrionics from the Bahrain players but they were largely dismissed by the Hungarian officials.

Bahrain came out of the tunnel fizzing but again the All Whites were equal the challenge and nine minute into the half a Rory Fallon header went narrowly wide.

Chris Wood and Michael McGlinchey were sent on in the second half in search of a vital away goal and Wood soon had the ball in the back of the net only to see the linesman flagged raised for offside.

Salman Isa Ali was perhaps lucky to survive a similar call for offside but his luck didnt hold after rounding Paston, hitting his shot onto the outside of the post.

New Zealand held their nerve in the dying minutes to close out the game and set up a dramatic climax to their World Cup campaign in what is now expected to be a full house in Wellington.

Full reaction from Manama to follow.

2010 FIFA World Cup Intercontinental Playoff

First Leg
Bahrain 0 New Zealand 0
Second Leg
New Zealand v Bahrain
8pm, November 14
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Tickets from http://www.oneshotforglory.co.nz/ or 0800 TICKETEK

New Zealand: 1-Mark PASTON (GK), 4-Ben SIGMUND, 6-Ryan NELSEN (Captain), 5-Ivan VICELICH, 11-Leo BERTOS, 3-Tony LOCHHEAD, 8-Tim BROWN (12-Michael MCGLINCHEY 68), 7-Simon ELLIOTT, 9-Shane SMELTZ, 14-Rory FALLON (13-Chris WOOD 66), 10-Chris KILLEN.
Substitutes not used: 2-Aaron SCOTT, 15-David MULLIGAN, 16-Andrew BOYENS, 17-Andy BARRON, 18-James BANNATYNE (RGK).
Coach: Ricki Herbert

Cautions: Mark Paston, Ryan Nelsen

Bahrain: 1-Mohamed Jaffar, 5-Mohamed Ahmed Hubail, 6-Jayece John, 7-Sayed Mahmood Jala, 9-Husail Ali Ahmed, 10-Mohamed Ahmed Salmeen, 12-Faouzi Mubarak Aaish, 14-Salman Isa Ali (13-Mahmood Abdulrahman Mohamed 79), 15-Abdulla Ismaeel Omar,16-Sayed Mohamed Adnan, 17-Husain Ali Mohamed
Substitutes not used: 2-Mohamed Husain Mohamed, 3-Ahmed Hassan Rashed, 4-Abdulla Baba Fatadi, 8-Aala Ahmed Hubail, 11-Ismaeel Abdullatif Ismaeel, 18-Abbas Ahmed Ali
Coach: Milan Marcala.

Roy Law

"It was Michael McGlinchey, though, who made the biggest impact. The Wellington-born former Scottish youth international looked lively when he came on for Tim Brown in the 67th minute. He played in Wood for the disallowed goal and also set up Killen for a difficult volley that went narrowly wide."  :thumbup:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred