• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Adelaide away - Mauk's last game in Oz

LFCMariners

Anyway onto our bogey team this week at home where I can’t ever remember beating them there......
2013- the Championship season.

At least when the Roar score one or even two goals in injury time to deny CCM points, at last people are going to realise it's because CCM can't close out a game to save their lives and not because of some "hoodoo" that magically only seems to apply just to A-League fixtures.

Ancient Mariner

A high press used to destroy us completely. Nowadays we are better at playing out from under it but then are too disorganised in attack to exploit. Unlike in the past when high presses went all out for 20 mins, if you survived that the opposition was generally spent nowadays it is seems it is applied more specifically and our centre midfield cannot cope.
Players that we are coming up against are technically superior and are not as wasteful with poor touches and passes. Until our players develop the ability to play fast, precise one touch passes we are at risk.

Corsair

. i think somebody may have been listening to the commentary but not really listening to the commentary*

. they said we hadn't won outside NSW for a year*

* i have not fact checked because that might just make things worse
I did have a look at the results and not immediately evident of another one. It's possible i may have missed more than one though..

Corsair

And we won away at both methtown and scumtown towards the very end of last season. Plus an entire FA cup run.

But apart from all those games, you are spot on. ?
Yeah i don't count the cup.

Does mudgee count as home or away....?

Last edited:

midfielder

WE have developed a reputation for folding in the last 2 to 3 minutes.... so teams are full on attack in the closing stages...

When the goal was scored last night AU had 7 players in and around the box.... we also had 7of which two were ball watching and not even closing down space.... our left side only had Hall ....

Stop the vid at 2:54 ... I think Ballard in no mans land and Moresche just watching .. AU have three maybe four unmarked players in the screen shot and we have two midfielders not only marking no one but with AU players two meters behind them and Moresche standing there and watching the play... with about 90 seconds to go and we have lost or drawn our three previous games yet the tracking back and awareness of were to go is simply not there.

What is it that says or screams is a lack of players following instructions as I cannot imagine Monty not telling players to both track back and cover the runners....

As many have posted we have lost the midfield and our only go forward is from our wide backs...

I think its time to move one of our backs to a deep sitting 8 ... more on this latter as every time we move a back to a CM we loose at the back...

LFCMariners

And we won away at both methtown and scumtown towards the very end of last season. Plus an entire FA cup run.

But apart from all those games, you are spot on. ?
Same as the Roar hoodoo that only applies if you ignore all the pre-season/ FFA Cup knockout games we've beaten them in

turbo

Moresche standing there and watching the play
Moresche looks like he’s supposed to be there, you don’t get that far from the action purely by accident. Cy and Olly look to be the big offenders not actually marking and Hall should have been yelling at them like it was Sunday league,

Forum Phoenix

Another rotten night sleep after a Mariners game... On reflection yes there were a few bad decisions and not sure why the linesman didn’t see Miller‘s legs being taken out if the ref couldn’t. Muller being kneed on the ground is a touch unlucky and the Adelaide player did try to get around him and it wasn’t like he did a 2 footed stomp on him and then Hall being fouled in the box for the first goal but in a goalmouth scramble you can usually find 3 or four subjective fouls either way so overall I’m not blaming this result on the ref.

Benni who in my mind was our best should have scored when he wiggles his way through the box to put us up 2-1 and then the narrow rubbish defending for the last goal where all our players just all basically stand together in the 18 yard box without marking or without making a challenge on a really innocuous ball drives me nuts.

We are good and a developing team but with so many youngsters, we just can’t nail games with poor and or inexperienced decision making at critical times. The number of games close together is also hurting these youngsters with brain fades.

Lastly we miss Stensnesss so badly and we aren’t winning any contested headers In midfield, second effort balls or even strong challengers when the other team breaks up field. For all the positives and unexpected success of a lot of young individuals, to me this is our Achilles heel and I honestly believe with Stensness or similar size and style player , I don’t believe we would be leading the comp but I do believe we would have drawn and or won more games this year and which would have us in a top six standing on the ladder.

Anyway onto our bogey team this week at home where I can’t ever remember beating them there......
This is what the senior players I’ve spoken to have said. Lot of fantastic young talent, but young players are prone to making critical errors as we all know too well. So it does (obviously) make it hard to stay switched on.

But I will say in our defence, there were a lot of minutes in the legs of nearly all our players and I think they worked really hard despite this.

Which is why my biggest disappointment is reserved for the input of our substitutes.

People are pasting Monty, but in such an important game which is hanging right in the balance, when we have a proper recovery time after at last..,I can see why he’s holding on most of his subs. Especially when they prove themselves to be sub par.

Moresche I thought did a few good things but was still not the live wire in attack or defence that we needed or can reasonably expect coming off the bench late. Kuol shows just how much sheet enthusiasm and belief can add in the last 20. I thought Noah was the exception and was great, but max and Goddard unfortunately did the opposite of help.

Compared to AU or most teams we’re playing we’re getting badly exposed by our lack of depth which has been at first hammered by covid then sucker punched by schedule backlog and tight turn arounds, compounded by the worst refereeing you’ll just about see anywhere in professional world football.

Yet despite this, we’ve just played five games where I think we should either have drawn or won. The table does matter, and I still worry at our 442. But this is still a good side.

If we can just get Guarang back and do whatever we can to get Ruons head right, we might just have enough depth to take our wins.

obvious positives, Beni again. My biggest con is Cy. I don’t think he can play at this level. I’m the last person to push the athletes over great footballers line, but he quite clearly lacks the pace and strength.

turbo

My biggest con is Cy. I don’t think he can play at this level. I’m the last person to push the athletes over great footballers line, but he quite clearly lacks the pace and strength.
I’d drop him purely off losing the ball rather than putting a ball in up front then almost immediately not actually defending their ball in for the goal. He shows promise but hasn’t adjusted to the league. Maybe those flashes of skill before covid were outliers. Then again I was on the beni out train after the Macarthur game so what do I know?

midfielder

The frame at 2:54 seconds is telling at a number of levels.

First AU have 7 attacking players...

Look at the backs, as Hall drops back with his runner to cover the incoming balls, the other backs are still looking forward and AU have two players behind our center backs ...

Hall is covering two players with a third runner coming in.

Miller is marking two... as the Mid has not dropped back and is ball watching... Rowles has pushed up to cover Olly's player and Ballard has not gone with the free runner who scored....

I played a lot as the deep sitting center mid and when I slowed moved to a center back... holding a straight back line was essential...so if a back fell back you had to go with them otherwise the space behind you was on side... neither Miller or Rowles fell back when Hall dropped as they were pushing up marking players the mids should have picked up... this meant AU had two players in front of goal unmarked and onside if the pass had gone right instead to the runner on our left they would have scored as well...

Have a good look at that 2:54 shot .... its very telling ... if I knew how I would copy that frame at 2:54 and post it....

At this stage of the game Moresche should be dropping back...

Last edited:

Holy

The frame at 2:54 seconds is telling at a number of levels.

First AU have 7 attacking players...

Look at the backs, as Hall drops back with his runner to cover the incoming balls, the other backs are still looking forward and AU have two players behind our center backs ...

Hall is covering two players with a third runner coming in.

Miller is marking two... as the Mid has not dropped back and is ball watching... Rowles has pushed up to cover Olly's player and Ballard has not gone with the free runner who scored....

I played a lot as the deep sitting center mid and when I slowed moved to a center back... holding a straight back line was essential...so if a back fell back you had to go with them otherwise the space behind you was on side... neither Miller or Rowles fell back when Hall dropped as they were pushing up marking players the mids should have picked up... this meant AU had two players in front of goal unmarked and onside if the pass had gone right instead to the runner on our left they would have scored as well...

Have a good look at that 2:54 shot .... its very telling ... if I knew how I would copy that frame at 2:54 and post it....

spot on

turbo

The commentator gushed over the great assist from Cummings, but dint mention that Beni scored with his non-favoured foot, and it was hit so sweetly too.
It was a really nice touch by Cummings tbf, plus who could tell with Beni and his unconventional style? Did hit it sweetly though.

turbo

The situation started with a corner. Moresche was left at the top of the box and came out pressuring the ball as you’d expect him to. Nothing wrong with his contribution. Still big issues with us not getting back into a structure and having everyone mark up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred