• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Adelaide away - Mauk's last game in Oz

midfielder

^^^^^^ thanks for the screen shot...a faction latter it looks even worst

Going from the left of the screen...

First AU player on the left unmarked.... first Mariner player on the left in no mans land

Second Au player from the left behind Miller and onside as Hall has fallen back so the ball does not go over his head...

Second Mariner player on the left ball watching closing down no space and near no one.

Third Mariner player from the left "Miller"" marking two player he is pushing up to cover for the second Mariner player from the left who should be on the third AU player from the left and leaving an onside player behind him.

Rowles caught in a kinda indecision do I push up to the fourth AU player from the left who he is watching leaving the fifth AU player behind him unmarked.

Olly ball watching the flight and moving towards the flight and thus marking no one and closing down no space and in doing so pulling Rowles out of position.. as was Miller when the mid in front of him left a player unmarked...

Ballard I think the sixth Mariner from the left .... looks totally lost

Hall marking two players with a third coming at pace ...

Moresch just standing watching as he would have seen the AU winger making a run .... WTF at least start to go with him ....

At this point in the game we had 90 seconds to go .... its all hands to the pumps... to me the mids all failed and left the backs hopelessly exposed .... the backs were dragged out of shape ....The forwards seems to close down and say its up to the backs now... AU had two players behind our centre backs unmarked who could have run onto a ball and AU's wide left player also totalling unmarked and in heaps of open space re the Cows goal we conceded late and the Perth Glory goal we conceded late down our right hand side

Given we have 10 field players and that shot covers about 40% of the ground... we had 7 defending, Beni making the tackle.... Moresch ball watching... thats 9 players... were and who was the 10 player not even in sight tracking back to help...

Last edited:

turbo

^^^^^^ thanks for the screen shot...a faction latter it looks even worst
Stop getting hung up on the screenshot and look at the video I posted on the page before. Cummings was out to the left and able to account for the player that took the corner.

Moresche was doing what he was supposed to. It all comes down to the little cluster of Rowles, Hall, Bozanic and Cy. With your screenshot you can see the rough pairings and Cy is in no man’s land. Not like he doubled up with someone he’s just out there.

Ancient Mariner

The goal can be analysed all you like.
However, most of the players involved were gassed.
Everybody in the team is starting to get terrified of goals in injury time.
All this leads to panic, over reaction and poor decisions and becomes self fulfilling.

Ironbark

As soon as it hits extra time from now on every big player picks up a smaller player and puts him on his shoulders.
Then they line up on the goal line and block the goal totally, with Birraz in the middle. See out the game unless we're behind.

true believer

i haven't really bothered . our problem is still the same .
we are physically week at the back .without replacements for stens and roun we will
continue to lose .

dibo

We're not at our best, and haven't been since before Christmas when everyone got the spicy cough.

We can see that in the results - we've dropped so many points to late goals:
  • Macarthur: copped 90th minute equaliser, drew 3-3 (having come from 2-0 down)
  • Perth: copped 94th minute equaliser, drew 1-1
  • Melbourne Victory: copped 95th minute winner, lost 1-0
  • Adelaide: copped 93rd minute goal, lost 2-1
That's 6pts dropped from four of our last five games. Take away stoppage time in our games and we’d be in 8th rather than equal bottom. Even that seems like a low-balling of our position.

We can play. Clearly we can play, or we wouldn't be in spots to throw away results in stoppage time against the 3rd place, 5th place and 4th place teams.

If your fitness (as a squad) is still shot because of COVID, do you reckon you'll see the difference in the 43rd minute or the 93rd?

Playing 8 games in 34 days would have a cost too. The next 14 games (more than half of our season!) is going to come in the space between Wednesday night at the end of April - 14 games in 59 days.

We're extremely lucky we're not also in the Champions League - we'd have had a trip to Japan in the middle of all this, and then if successful in getting over Vissel Kobe in the playoff we'd have another 6 games starting on the 16th April and wrapping up on the 1st May.

I can't see how this season can possibly finish unabridged. The teams in the AFCCL will be absolutely toast.

Coastalraider

Some good stuff here Dibo.

Not targeted at you directly, but we need to stop referring to ‘since covid’ as if its a uniquely Mariners issue..

Every team in the comp has had the same experience, had the same time off and similar challenges coming back from it, and are dealing with it much better than we are.

The reality is, we have kids in important defensive positions, and the tide is going against us. It’s much much harder for them under that scenario, rather than riding a wave as in early season games. It is our lot that we will always have youth in our teams, and it’s an undeniable fact that performance levels of youth will fluctuate more than in experienced players. We are a competent team, but not a mature one, so periods like we are going through now ‘where everything is against us’ like everyone scoring worldies against us, refs mistakes, last minute defensive lapses etc means our squad as an whole doesn’t have the maturity to shrug it off and go again next week. And that lack of maturity likely extends to our coaching staff. The fact we have been so close so often is likely one of the reasons we haven’t seen much change in tactics or approach to our games. The only real change I have seen since cummdog has arrived is Nizzy to DM, which has helped but not solved our inherent structural issues in midfield.
We will learn, the squad will mature, and we will improve - but it will be a process, and our hopes for this year are likely dashed.

turbo

Every team in the comp has had the same experience, had the same time off and similar challenges coming back from it, and are dealing with it much better than we are.
Agree that we need to stop blaming covid but the assumption that everyone had the experience is not correct. Any individual could get the mildest of cases through to a thorough arse kicking by Delta which is still around. My wife and I both had it but she had headaches for a few days and I’ve still got chest tightness weeks later. The individual experience is varied, when you expand that out to a team you bring in squad depth, how key players have been impacted and it’s clear that it’s not a uniform experience or a level playing field.

We need to get back to the little things that we were doing right before covid, that’s a must but comparing other teams impacts isn’t helpful.

pjennings

Agree that we need to stop blaming covid but the assumption that everyone had the experience is not correct. Any individual could get the mildest of cases through to a thorough arse kicking by Delta which is still around. My wife and I both had it but she had headaches for a few days and I’ve still got chest tightness weeks later. The individual experience is varied, when you expand that out to a team you bring in squad depth, how key players have been impacted and it’s clear that it’s not a uniform experience or a level playing field.

We need to get back to the little things that we were doing right before covid, that’s a must but comparing other teams impacts isn’t helpful.
The other points about that though are that we are a very small squad compared to some and that our style of play before covid was based on high intensity for the full game. Now without being able to maintain that intensity we are getting found out. What can be done about that. Do we completely change our approach or just build the intensity back up.

Tevor

The other points about that though are that we are a very small squad compared to some and that our style of play before covid was based on high intensity for the full game. Now without being able to maintain that intensity we are getting found out. What can be done about that. Do we completely change our approach or just build the intensity back up.
Spot on and probably why some think Covid has hit us harder than other teams. Bringing back the intensity is harder now as the general fitness of other teams is also increasing compared to the start of the season.

The high intensity game plan was also designed for 1 game a week not 3 games in 8 days with interstate travel. Bruce talked about our first half performance against the Reds and he noticed we dropped our intensity with what appeared to be a plan to have more energy in the later part of the game. I think he was right in his assessment but we all know how that turned out. That was clearly a plan by Monty but our mental state is a problem and harder to fix.

Coastalraider

I agree everyone has a different experience, but that goes for all teams, and is likely to average out over a squad. My point is, while covid has quite obviously a factor, it’s not unique.

Ironbark

Exactly this.

I think that's why Monty has played a friendly. We need to get our small squads fitness up high and maybe higher than our opponents so that we can do what we did earlier in the season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami