• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A New Marquee

pjennings

Having a marquee if we can afford is good for the club in many ways.

The marquee should do one of two things
(1) put bums on seats or
(2) fill a hole that we can't afford to fill with the salary cap.

If a marquee is used it also means that dollars are available under the cap to replace the players that are going.

BiggusMickus

I don't know if this is feasible or not but... why not have a rotation of loan players (possibly for free) as part of our newly established partnership with Sheffield Utd (and the other teams in the arrangement). The standard of their reserves would still be stiff opposition for our A-League rivals. That way we could bring in a good mix of players, create good public interest, and our opposition would never get used to marking one particular player as happened with Aloi$i this season passed.

Jesus

Jesus
Someone like troisi would be best on loan. Therer are lots of aussies in england not even making the bench week in week out, who could use the game time.

Marquee has to be a striker for me. Though I love davids, he would play a similar role to jedi, im not sure we need him.

Jimmy

A marquee player is nice to have, just gives the club, i dunno, a different aspect, but it can also be a bad talking point if they end up being shite (Jardel).

Baker Boy

theres no way our club would get a jardel type of marquee as we dont have retards like the con and mr F#$k the lil club lowry running our club we are smart we landed aloisi when other teams couldnt and he is a high class player
players like the little club sometimes and we are a luckly little club coz we have so much money its unbeliveable plus with supporters like us we could get anyone

tyson

any decent players on ebay?

just wondering to see what the jets might be capable of signing...

greenpoint

Henrik Larsson would be a terrific marquee player. Was it only last year that Sir Alex signed Larsson for a brief spell with Moan United, and Larsson quickly got among the goals? And not long before that he put Arsenal to the sword in Barcelona's Champions League victory.

I reckon he'd score more goals for us than JA did.

Feel free to plant the idea of Australia in Larsson's head via the 'contact me' section of his website: http://www.icons.com/HL/contact.html

Mini In Bay 6

Can I throw out the idea of an asian player? Is there a striker lying around asia who is a) Youngish b) Quick and c) Talented?  Or is it a case of choose two not three?

Heck if he's from Indonesia or one of the exchange rate friendly nations we could possibly fit him under the cap.

Or is there someone local who fits the bill we can nab? 

One thing I notice is that Santalab's contract runs out next year - and with a log jam of players ahead of him at Sydney I think he'll get bugger all match time this comming season and a good opportunity to grab him may arise in twelve months.

Tez

Mini In Bay 6 said:
One thing I notice is that Santalab's contract runs out next year - and with a log jam of players ahead of him at Sydney I think he'll get bugger all match time this comming season and a good opportunity to grab him may arise in twelve months.

not a huge fan of santslab, seems like a bit of a tool and im not sure he would fit in with the culture at the club.

who ever we get i hope he is FAST, highly skilled & talented and CAN SCORE GOALS!  :pirashoot:

shipwreck

Having a young up and comer as a marquee simply wont happen im afraid, we will only ever get has-beens or just-was'

Problem - Anyone good enough to earn a marquee spot with FFA who is actually young will be playing for a bigger club in Europe

tyson

shipwreck said:
Having a young up and comer as a marquee simply wont happen im afraid, we will only ever get has-beens or just-was'

Problem - Anyone good enough to earn a marquee spot with FFA who is actually young will be playing for a bigger club in Europe

bingo.

serious14

I disagree with the whole "marquee's get bums on seats" theory.  I seem to remember Aloisi's home debut not exactly setting the gate's on fire.  And after then we started to win at home (a novel concept I know) and the summer draw with the rescheduling of the Sydney game conspired to make our crowds _huge_ - I honestly think Aloisi had very little to do with that.

Maybe it really is more suited to an "event city" kinda place like Sydney.  Look at the Galaxy game, 82 000 or whatever it was.  Sydney's next home game was what....... 15 000??  If that??

Demented Freak

10,732 actually...our lowest crowd all season (that said, the biblical thunderstorm before kickoff didn't help the walkup crowd).

jaypee

According to Cockerill we are close to get Junininho

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/fc-net-14m-aloisi/2008/03/02/1204402272330.html

Mini In Bay 6

jaypee said:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/fc-net-14m-aloisi/2008/03/02/1204402272330.html

I don't know what to make of that.  I can see good, I can see potential old guy sitting on sidelines injured as well.

jaypee

Mini In Bay 6 said:
jaypee said:

I don't know what to make of that.  I can see good, I can see potential old guy sitting on sidelines injured as well.

If he stays fit (gets Fit) then I think its great

bradley

juninho would be a great signing. he made brosque look good last year. him and mrdja would be a leathel combination..

Ursus

If he can stay uninjured it will be a massive signing. Just what we need.  :pirashoot:

I am a great fan of TLF. Any half decent striker can feed off him and get very fat on goals. :piralaugh:

This could be the best buy since the yanks bought Alaska from the Ruskies. ;D

skilbeck

bradley said:
juninho would be a great signing. he made brosque look good last year. him and mrdja would be a leathel combination..

That would be assuming that they are both fit at the same time, either fit would be a massive bonus, both fit and we could claim divine intervention

bikinigirl

. a playmaker as our marquee would be my preference as a million dollar striker ain't worth a million bucks if nobody gets him the ball

. whether the little bloke is the right one i will leave for others to debate - it does depend on value for money. when the rest of the squad are lucky to be on 1/10 the money of a million dollar marquee, they'd better be worth it (hence i believe the end of discussion with aloisi)

. the number 10 shirt is sadly available at the mariners and i think this is where the dollars should be directed (though i am not suggesting 1mill for anyone at this stage)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred