• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A New Marquee

dantheman2259

yeah i agree eggy in giving trott ago too, atleast half of the 10goals werent his fault too but if trotty doesnt work out i reckon willis(injury ok) would be a good buy for a decent cheap keeper but not to sure what hes up to

fedelta

forzamariners said:
try and get nicky carle;)

Nah he seemed really happy at Bristol City when they interviewed him on Total Football. He will probably be playing Premier League next season too.

T

thanman

mariners4ever said:
thanman said:
Eggy said:
Very true howeva whats more likley DROGBA or fit MRDJA ;) :headbutt:

I Think we should spend the marquee dollers on a midfielder probably a wide one and hope mrdja plays a season knowing that if he gets hurt we can always ask singo and turnbull to buy us another marquee name that is outside the cap!!!as injury replacement.
Just because we're so rich its unbelievable  :tophat:

Just to throw it out there what about a marquee keeper????
Anyone in mind for a Marquee keeper Eggy?

mark schwarzer, well he is coming off contract

hmm maybe.. but he'd be a fair bit right?

Eggy said:
I got no idea was just interested to see what peoples opinions on spending the coin on a keeper.
What about that aussie bloke who knocked back sydney start of season.Personally i think we should give trott a go with a pre season of training where he can prepare and expect to be starting if it doesn't workout well we can sign someone later. He was really thrown in the deep end for sydney and nye give hime time to settle down and build a name for himself.
Not a huge fan of Trott.. mainly because 2 games in a row 5 goals each.
Give Redmayne a fair go in the pre-season is my bet.

greenpoint

Some great suggestions above.

I'm imagining that a marquee player needs to be a well-known international, a player whose name is recognised by those other than us football tragics. One that will achieve the A-League's stated aim of bums on seats.

That probably eliminates players like Troisi and Spiranovic.

Maybe in this country it means we have to aim for former English Premier League players, whether Australian or not.

I heard Teddy Sheringham announced his retirement yesterday! He'll play out this season, by which time he will have turned 42 ...

Jolly_Roger

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/68766,sydney-fc-chasing-edgar-davids-for-next-year.aspx

I guess this is dead in the water after aloisi signed.

I would love to see this guy play with us. 

Edgar_Davids_585705.jpg

promdi442

greenpoint said:
Some great suggestions above.

I'm imagining that a marquee player needs to be a well-known international, a player whose name is recognised by those other than us football tragics. One that will achieve the A-League's stated aim of bums on seats.

That probably eliminates players like Troisi and Spiranovic.

Maybe in this country it means we have to aim for former English Premier League players, whether Australian or not.

I heard Teddy Sheringham announced his retirement yesterday! He'll play out this season, by which time he will have turned 42 ...

Isn't there a FFA Criteria regarding a Marquee player. I think I read that re Joelene being put forward as the Jatz marquee next year. It was said that technically he was not a qualified marquee player but due to his season this year he would be considered as one.

So I doubt that Troisi and Spiranovic would pass the criteria of FFA. I suggested Sheringham last year but I think his time for being a marquee out here has passed him by..

kepo

Watch the rumours and accouncements over the coming months.
It is obvious that ccm board want a Marquee for 08/09.
Your board seems smart and will do the right choice

tyson

Davids! that would be sick! i always loved how he wore sunnies. that could be used to our advantage to market him.

can he still play good though? (main concern)

EDIT: OK, so it turns out he plays for Ajax. I guess that answers my question, and pretty much rules him out of a season or two with the Central Coast Mariners. LOL.

Baker Boy

a marquee is a must for the central coast all those bums on seats again but for a full season you cant say that aloisi didnt help in getting those big crowds to games yes i know he wasnt our marquee but he did act like he was alot of blow-ins would be lost if we didnt get a marquee next year

fruitbat

Rather than chasing older players in their twilight years, why not look for younger south american players who show potential? Brazil must have something in the water over there to produce so many good footballers.
Surely there are young prospects who havent yet snagged a contract in Europe but have played well in domestic youth comps.

jaypee

I like the idea of an up and coming player but thats not what a Marquee is. They have to have the name. I agree JA did put some bums on seats and thats part of what the role is.

My thought would be we need a creative midfielder as the marquee, geez even Brosque was made to look good with a good midfielder. Look at Alsop in V2, he was fantastic because he had a midfielder who could put it on a plater for him. If you look at our team (assuming all fit) where do we lack. Not up front if one leg and Sash are fit, and IF!!! Matty can find the net. Backs look ok. But our midfield are grafters. They are great players but lack that creativity to unlock defenses. Thats what we need.

I feel the club new what it was doing. Fact is with no JA, Gumps, Viddy and Tommy the $$$ are available.

Sonic_beats_Mario

In terms of a marquee player and getting an overseas non local Australian player it would go against what the Mariners are about. We were the only team not to have an overseas player or mostly a Brazilian on our roster. Mariners are about local talent and i think we must stick to this.

We have some excellent players at the moment and sure some of the players leaving or rumoured to be leaving will leave a big hole.

But think back to the start of V3 we had Nik and Sash up front and it very successful which of course Nik made the Aus team. Why dont we have faith in ppl like Nik and Matty Simon with Sash up front. Nik and Sash were devastation to defense of every other team.

I believe the team we could put on the park now including Carcas and of course our beloved Danny (if his appeal goes well) would be successful. Why not sit out with a marquee player for V4 and then see whos on the market that is an Australian player in V5???

SNOWMARINER

No old farts, they are at the end of their careers and as we've seen could'nt really care if they win or lose so long as their not hurt so they can walk their kids along our beaches.

SNOWMARINER

A Marquee is only benefitial if if it's a player willing to give his all for the team. As we've seen not many of the marquee signings have been sucessful on the field and therefore off it . I think scouting up and coming talent whether that be from clubs in the new agreement or elsewhere nomatter their nationality should be the top priorety for a successful V4. Success puts bums on seats far better than an underperforming marquee signing. Aliosi's shoe's (although not a marquee in name) would be hard to fill and if one worthy is willing that's great but spending money on a marquee that is'nt worthy will prove to be a big waste of money, waste a team spot of a better performer and if the signing starts each week but does'nt perform results will suffer.

Melbourne's Fred is a good example of a great signing (not marquee) that did more to increase crowds than many underperforming marquee signings.

I think those saying that the 'blow-ins" would'nt attend games if we did'nt have a big name underestimate the community attitude to the only CC team in a national competition. It certainly helps but winning helps more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred