• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"A New Hope"? (Episode iv)

rbakersmith

There was a story about what Rudan did with the nix in their preseason. Went to a boot camp situation where they were smashed and we've seen how they've come out of it.

I seem to recall there was a pre-season boot camp a couple of seasons back, and the outcome was not that great.

Forum Phoenix

My friend rang me. Reckons he can get $2-3 mill local support for a buy out. They want to know how much you blokes can put in has he reckons we need another $20mill to succeed.
FP is maybe the most liquid.
I can stump up $15k
Maybe No Diggity and Middy can do the same.
What about you guys??? greenlig is a Millionaire now so can help big time!

It would be exciting to own our own club but we would need to get Denny and Singo onside (and the McDonald's baron from Empire Bay)

Interesting. But bad timing for me. Two new ventures in the works that have me heavily committed for next 12-24 months.

Forum Phoenix

For the love of PETER HIMSELF, could we get sessions like described here?? https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/waring-s-japan-torture-test-ready-to-pay-dividends-with-olyroos

Why is the training ethos/workload so low in Australian Football?

Coaching players physically has limits obviously - though we seem a long way off those. But what about mental ( tactics and analysis - both as an individual and as a team level - goals and targets etc. And emotional - meditation, visualisation etc

Top performance experts all agree on the need to develop athletes across the board.

I’m typically hesitant to rush to a conclusion but why does it appear some A league clubs are just doing a bare minimum of physical training with presumably a little game analysis and that’s it?

Is it just bullshit rumours and false Perceptions? Leroy doesn’t make it seem like that at all.

Maddening.

Last edited:

Coastalraider

Coaching players physically has limits obviously - though we seem a long way off those. But what about mental ( tactics and analysis - both as an individual and as a team level - goals and targets etc. And emotional - meditation, visualisation etc

Top performance experts all agree on the need to develop athletes across the board.

I’m typically hesitant to rush to a conclusion but why does it appear sone A league clubs are just doing a bare minimum of physical training with presumably a little game analysis and that’s it?

Maddening.

wonder - and I'm stretching - that it may have something to do with it being a summer sport? Training 3 times a day doing multiple cardio sessions etc in the Aussie summer will take is toll.

turbo

I’m typically hesitant to rush to a conclusion but why does it appear sone A league clubs are just doing a bare minimum of physical training with presumably a little game analysis and that’s it?

Maddening.

That seems to be across the league. There’s been stores recently comparing Victory work loads to Asian ones (primarily Japanese and Korean). It’s no accident they’re competing for full games after 1 or 2 rounds of competition.

Forum Phoenix

There was a story about what Rudan did with the nix in their preseason. Went to a boot camp situation where they were smashed and we've seen how they've come out of it. If we can't afford the best players we need to be making the ones we have the best they can be.
Link https://www.a-league.com.au/news/th...literated-us-taylor-reveals-phoenix-boot-camp

Why is this even a discussion?

This shouldnt be news worthy, it should just be the baseline required for professional footballers and football teams to hope to even begin to compete.

If you’re a team and you haven’t done the conditioning work it should stand out like dog balls. Like losing 9 games when you’re leading in the second half perhaps.

So tired of this.

You can’t control the ref.
You can’t control the conditions.
You can’t control who your opponents sign, how much they spend or for the most part what formation or tactics they will try and use.

But you can control your strength and fitness. One of the only variables (beyond injury) that you can absolutely look to guarantee that it will function how you want it too.

I swear most foreigners or returning Australian players look progressively less and less fit and sharp the longer they’re here. Anyone else notice this? Or maybe I’m just going mad.

Big Al

I’m typically hesitant to rush to a conclusion but why does it appear some A league clubs are just doing a bare minimum of physical training with presumably a little game analysis and that’s it?

Is it just bullshit rumours and false Perceptions? Leroy doesn’t make it seem like that at all.

Maddening.
Definitely the heat. It is energy sapping.

Also the double sessions by marco kurtz were considered outrageous and un heard of like he was sending them to the moon and that was only a year or so ago.

It’s more the skill training that upsets me. Full training I’m fine with one session a day but the rest should be doing tactical work or practicing corners and free kicks. Using the opposite foot. Go inside and practice dribbling etc

Forum Phoenix

Definitely the heat. It is energy sapping.

Also the double sessions by marco kurtz were considered outrageous and un heard of like he was sending them to the moon and that was only a year or so ago.

It’s more the skill training that upsets me. Full training I’m fine with one session a day but the rest should be doing tactical work or practicing corners and free kicks. Using the opposite foot. Go inside and practice dribbling etc

Exactly. Of course they have to responsibly manage the workload. But there’s a shit load of things you can do to improve besides running around in the sun all day,

innconu

The summer heat thing is a bit of an excuse really. AFL and NRL teams do their preseason flogging sessions in the middle of summer and then start the lower intensity full season training in autumn and winter. So given our preseason is in winter the guys should be starting the season in absolute great condition after being flogged to within an inch of their life during winter. But that just doesn't seem to happen at any of the clubs.

During summer is there a reason they cannot find an air conditioned training location? Okay here on the Coast we may struggle but there are gyms and indoor sports centres in Sydney, Newcastle and Melbourne with air conditioning so you could do your second sessions each day inside. Or here's a radical idea, do your physical session early in the morning and after 6 or 7 PM. Armatures train at night why can't the professionals with a nice break in the middle of the day. It's called a split shift chefs do, so can Australian footballers.

But really what ever you play in is what you should train in and training needs to be the highest intensity possible, otherwise you will not replicate the game day fatigue and adrenaline.

Woollybutt

I imagine the longer-distance travel and harder pitches, as well as the heat, spook strength and conditioning coaches. There's a lot of pressure on them to have players fit and available for every match, especially when there are so few games a season, so a lot of them tend to be conservative and risk averse to reduce injuries. So you have to change the entire culture and relationship between coaching staff, change the players' expectations, and create an environment that allows S&C coaches to risk injuries for the overall benefit of the team's performances.

For what it's worth that's what happened to Liverpool when Jurgen Klopp took over. They began training way more intensely to get the players fit enough to play an aggressive, counter pressing style for 90 minutes, and had an explosion of soft tissue injuries. They were blasted by pundits in the media but stuck to their guns and eventually they adapted to the new style.

pjennings

I imagine the longer-distance travel and harder pitches, as well as the heat, spook strength and conditioning coaches. There's a lot of pressure on them to have players fit and available for every match, especially when there are so few games a season, so a lot of them tend to be conservative and risk averse to reduce injuries. So you have to change the entire culture and relationship between coaching staff, change the players' expectations, and create an environment that allows S&C coaches to risk injuries for the overall benefit of the team's performances.

For what it's worth that's what happened to Liverpool when Jurgen Klopp took over. They began training way more intensely to get the players fit enough to play an aggressive, counter pressing style for 90 minutes, and had an explosion of soft tissue injuries. They were blasted by pundits in the media but stuck to their guns and eventually they adapted to the new style.

Good point - unfortunately the HAL clubs don't have the depth of squad to cover 'an explosion of soft tissue injuries". It must be said that Clarky, both here and at Sydney seemed to be far and away the best in the HAL (and probably in Australian sport) at knowing the level to push the individual.

Woollybutt

Good point - unfortunately the HAL clubs don't have the depth of squad to cover 'an explosion of soft tissue injuries". It must be said that Clarky, both here and at Sydney seemed to be far and away the best in the HAL (and probably in Australian sport) at knowing the level to push the individual.
I actually meant to add something like that to my post but forgot. I agree completely. One of the best things FFA could do now is appoint Clarky to some new role as Director of Fitness Coaching or something and put him in charge of training fitness coaches around the country as well as looking after the national team. I know he used to do stuff with Ourimbah Uni, so I reckon he'd be up for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred