• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"A New Hope"? (Episode iv)

MagpieMariner

I'm in 2 minds about Sam. He's only a boy and that OG might well have unsettled him. With no-one of experience around to settle him down, his mindset would've been bad for the rest of the match, he may not have wanted to do something in case it bit him on the arse again. He hasn't seemed too bad in the other matches I've seen him in. And let's face it who else covered themselves in glory last night?

Pirate Pete

So, players I definitely want to see gone
Gameiro - wage theif
McGlinchey - he sued us FFS
Hoole - goes without saying
Pearce - See Hoole
Kennedy - see Pearce
Simon - past it
Sam Sheffield - bugger off home dummy
Melling - couldn’t pass a kidney stone
And on the coaching side Nash the Gash can’t possibly survive the forthcoming kull
I'd keep Melling. But I would never play him at right back. That's one thing they pointed out on the radio after the game.
The quote was something like "A coach who plays Melling at fullback should not be coaching in the A league" or words to that effect.

The Sheffield boys are gone.
Be interesting to see who the Aussies are off contract in Europe and nearly as importantly who their agents are.

bikinigirl

I do not know what Phelan is doing now that he has the assistant's role at Man. U., but he is our director of football still and am pretty sure that no one in Australia had the authority to sack Mulvey.
It may have been Charlesworth, but I suspect Phelan would have been involved and that Shaun had to consult them to act.

. well, what Shaun said pre-match was that Sporting Director responsibilities had fallen back to him with Phelan absent (similar to when Storrie left)

... bit of a mixed message there - as he said Phelan was still in regular contact

bikinigirl

I would really like to agree with your second point. However Shaun said we're already in the bad books with some agents.
At least that's what I recall him saying.
Apart from Millar who acted like a dick I think the others should be allowed to train & be selected.
Provided they didn't act like dicks of course.
I just feel it would put us more on the outer with the agents. After Shaun said that last night I wonder if that's why we only managed to get players from the UK in January.

. bad books! ... essentially what he said was that we were stitched up by an agent that manages the vast majority of our squad (and until recently our even more recently departed coach)

. Mulvey will be looking for a new agent and a new job ... we should be looking to other agents

Reactions: adz

Antlion

Phelan reports to MC on all football department matters. This has been stated categorically. It means he signs off on recruitment of players and coaches (except for currently when Sporting Director responsibilities had fallen back to Shaun, apparently).

ManU are doing well under Ole/Phelan. Even Ferguson is calling to make the pair permanent in the roles. We won't see Phelan back here IMO, I would suggest it is only a matter of time before we part ways due to his other commitments. Unless they replace Ole as coach and the new coach brings in his own guys we won't be high on Phelan's to do lists at the moment.

Big Al

Phelan is doing a review of our football structure is he not? Not particularly the guy who would make calls on things. That time frame suggests it was Chatsworth who made the call. Not Phelan.
he certainly had a lot of pull and makes the recommendations. Of course MC make those big decisions like sacking the coach but he gets a recommendation

Last edited:

Big Al

I'm in 2 minds about Sam. He's only a boy and that OG might well have unsettled him. With no-one of experience around to settle him down, his mindset would've been bad for the rest of the match, he may not have wanted to do something in case it bit him on the arse again. He hasn't seemed too bad in the other matches I've seen him in. And let's face it who else covered themselves in glory last night?
It’s not Sam’s fault but we can’t be teaching him. We need an experienced CB to control the back. We are not here to develop other clubs young players.

More a thing of circumstance for the lad. He is not good enough for an import and what we need as iur backline is full of kids.

Mallon on the other hand is doing a good job but has no right foot

MagpieMariner

It’s not Sam’s fault but we can’t be teaching him. We need an experienced CB to control the back. We are not here to develop other clubs young players.

More a thing of circumstance for the lad. He is not good enough for an import and what we need as iur backline is full of kids.

Mallon on the other hand is doing a good job but has no right foot

Yes, agree, we're not a teaching club right now, unless you want to learn how to be shit. I just meant we shouldn't rubbish him for a bad day. If he had a dominant keeper or an experienced CB ala Patty Z beside him, they would have quickly got in his ear and lifted him up. There's nobody there for him in this shipwreck.

NoDiggity

A post on Facebook by “saffros Sydney” summing up our situation perfectly;

MARINERS HELD HOSTAGE LONG ENOUGH

The Central Coast Mariners, once the little club that could and now the basketcase that has forgotten how, are in the middle of the greatest crisis of their 14 year existence.

- Lost 2-8 to Wellington Phoenix.

- Coach Mike Mulvey given the boot at 1am.

- Stone, motherless last.

- Three coaches sacked in four seasons.

- Wooden spooners in three of the last five seasons, coming 8th on the other two occasions.

And losing not only match after match, season after season, but quality players to other A-League clubs.

Roy O’Donovan, Anthony Caceres, Storm Roux, Trent Buhagiar, Danny De Silva, Lachie Wales, Ross McCormack, Matt Millar. All gone to greener pastures.

And with Millar, CCM were asleep at the wheel when the Jets pounced.

How has it come to this?

Under Lawrie McKinna in 2006-2010, the Mariners played a desperate, physical style that endeared them to local supporters, winning the 2007/8 A-League premiership and losing the 2006 and 2008 Grand Finals. McKinna deserves much off-field credit too, doing plenty of community work to forge a bond between the newly-established Mariners and the region that felt abandoned by every other sporting code.

Following the club’s 2009/10 season, McKinna moved upstairs to become Football and Commercial Manager, paving the way for Graham Arnold to take charge. And, having won the 2011/12 premiership, come second in 2010/11 and 2012/13, and lost the 2011 Grand Final, Mariner fans finally reached their nirvana on April 21, 2013, when a Daniel McBreen-inspired team in yellow won the Grand Final against the Western Sydney Wanderers at Allianz Stadium.

It was a triumph for the little club, a triumph for the beleaguered region and a triumph for the underdog.

This success had a massive effect on the national team. While Ollie Bozanic, Bernie Ibini and Mitchell Duke did not really “go on with it” in Green and Gold, Matt Ryan and Trent Sainsbury are Socceroo everpresents to this day, while the club also developed Socceroos Tom Rogic and Mustafa Amini, and brought Michael Beauchamp and Alex Wilkinson to international standard.

They also gave Australia Patrick Zwaanswijk, the finest defensive import in A-League history.

When a fish rots, as the old saying goes, it starts at the head.

Until 2013, the personalities involved in the running of the organisation were John Singleton, Alex Tobin, Ian Kiernan, Lyall Gorman, John McKay, Peter Turnbull and McKinna. Arnold would not be swayed by Scott Barlow to join Sydney FC back in 2012 on the grounds that he had to “finish the job” at the Mariners. The club was in the hands of men of integrity and principle, who gave the club its culture of success against overwhelming odds.

In 2013, Mike Charlesworth increased his stake in the Mariners, becoming the club’s new chairman. Things would never be the same again.

Some say that Charlesworth saved the club, when it was about to go under. I don’t buy that. There were a few staff payment and superannuation problems, but, given how much leeway the FFA would afford Brisbane Roar’s Bakrie Group a few years later, the Mariners weren’t going anywhere.

Instead, Charlesworth embarked on an aggressive restructure - corporate code for “gutting the place to improve the balance sheet”. Employing cut-price management, he did not give successive coaches the investment in players needed to bring glory days back to the Gosford club. Further alienating Mariner supporters, he agitated for a partial move to North Sydney Oval, which not only went down badly with Sydney FC, but with a large section of the loyal fans in yellow. Here was a chairman who had no affinity for the club’s parochial supporter base, effectively sidelining them in a Clive Palmer – style thought bubble.

The football department, once among the best in the country, went to pieces. Charlesworth presided over the reigns of Tony Walmsley and Paul Okon, whose philosophy was to play attractive, passing football, ostensibly to “entertain the fans”. Without the player quality to play that type of football, or passion to fight for the Mariner cause, they were pretty right up until the time they would concede goals and lose matches, which entertained no one.

If the team went from ugly but effective under McKinna to playing good football and successful under Arnold, they became attractive losers in subsequent seasons. And now, they are just losers. Crowds stay away as the club plummets from one crisis to the next.

What to do now?

Mulvey is gone, but the entire rotten structure remains in place. Charlesworth surely must be forced out. That said, it is no easy task to replace a chairman, who, while keeping his purse strings tightly drawn, is still helping fund the club. Charlesworth is our version of Aston Villa’s “Deadly” Doug Ellis.

If the new FFA has any sense, they will have meetings with Charlesworth and urge him to sell. Perhaps a consortium led by John Singleton could rescue the club. Perhaps the Chinese investors who wanted to sink a fortune into the abortion that was “Southern Expansion” could be taken on a tour of the Central Coast. Maybe someone could take them fishing.

Worse yet, the club’s crisis has given ammunition to those who are pushing their own agenda. “If only we had promotion and relegation, this wouldn’t occur!”, they cry.

Really? Were they calling for promotion and relegation when the Mariners defeated Sydney FC 7-2 that fateful Saturday night 7 years ago? After all, Sydney FC were also in the middle of a chairman-induced crisis.

Were they calling for the little club to be banished from the league when they were winning titles, producing a string of Socceroos in the process?

Like climate change proponents, who jump up and down whenever the weather warms up, and deniers, who do likewise when the mercury drops, the promotion/relegation debate is one which the football community must have. But it must not be done in an opportunistic fashion, or indeed, by opportunists.

The Mariners have gone steadily backwards from the moment Charlesworth assumed control six years ago. Until he is forced out, any other measures are temporary ones, akin to rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

They need winners, who will recreate a culture of winning - at all levels of the organisation - who will also have an affinity for the region.

The club needs rescuing.

Charlesworth has held them hostage long enough.

Wombat

Shaun said we had 2 offers of 8 to 9m to buy the club but the great wizard of Oz will only sell to someone that wants to stay on the coast. Super Mick wont sell to anyone that just wants to buy the licence coz he is a dinky die Coastie now.:doh::doh: I love his new intergrity.

Antlion

Yeah that Charlesworth sure has a strong history of caring about the fans' wellbeing and keeping the club on the coast

true believer

Pikey has to go .
If he comes up with a number of magic names next year . We"ll be f'kd hard again By r10 .
You can't have a director of football running the club from london or manchester.
Been there done that

Wombat

My friend rang me. Reckons he can get $2-3 mill local support for a buy out. They want to know how much you blokes can put in has he reckons we need another $20mill to succeed.
FP is maybe the most liquid.
I can stump up $15k
Maybe No Diggity and Middy can do the same.
What about you guys??? greenlig is a Millionaire now so can help big time!

It would be exciting to own our own club but we would need to get Denny and Singo onside (and the McDonald's baron from Empire Bay)

Big Al

My friend rang me. Reckons he can get $2-3 mill local support for a buy out. They want to know how much you blokes can put in has he reckons we need another $20mill to succeed.
FP is maybe the most liquid.
I can stump up $15k
Maybe No Diggity and Middy can do the same.
What about you guys??? greenlig is a Millionaire now so can help big time!

It would be exciting to own our own club but we would need to get Denny and Singo onside (and the McDonald's baron from Empire Bay)
Let me sell some of the wife’s things and I’m in :p

Big Al

Shaun said we had 2 offers of 8 to 9m to buy the club but the great wizard of Oz will only sell to someone that wants to stay on the coast. Super Mick wont sell to anyone that just wants to buy the licence coz he is a dinky die Coastie now.:doh::doh: I love his new intergrity.
He only wants a central coast team as his COE gets devalued if the team leaves.

It was mentioned that they didn’t want the COE. Would be a waste of space without a team to use it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred