• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Transfers and Rumours

Wombat

Coaching shock: Popovic resigns as Wanderers coach

Western Sydney Wanderers have confirmed that Tony Popovic has resigned as the club’s Hyundai A-League coach, effective immediately.

Popovic has accepted a coaching opportunity in Turkey.

The former Caltex Socceroos defender was the Wanderers inaugural coach in 2012 and led the club to the Hyundai A-League Premiership in their first season.'

View image on Twitter
DLBqvB1VwAE76Qv.jpg:small

The Wanderers qualified for three Grand Finals and won the 2014 Asian Champions League under Popovic’s tutelage.

More to come…

I dont rate him. He has lost 3 grand Finals while having FFA give him any squad he wants. Some of the players he has signed have been absolute muppets. When he does get it right with a very good player he lets them go the next season.....WTF.
Its like he has bipolar issues.
And his win in the ACL was a travesty.

Last edited:

Big Al

I think it's a good move. We want our managers to have ambition as well. Unlike Arnie..

Good opportunity why the timing is terrible and it's a little different to a star player moving I'm not against it, maybe because it's not us.

Be interesting how he goes, he can build a solid structure but how will the players handle his management style, especially as he hasn't picked any of them.

sydmariner

WSW “inundated” with interest after Popovic resigns as coach

Wanderrers CEO John Tsatsimas said that the club had been “inundated” with expressions of interest just hours after the dramatic story broke that coach Tony Popovic was leaving.

Tsatsimas, one of the club’s foundation staff members and a close confidante of Popovic, says the club will take its time to identify a new coach.

BOMBSHELL: Popovic resigns as Wanderers coach

Popovic and Tsatsimas fronted at a hastily arranged press conference at Wanderers HQ to announce the coach was leaving to pursue his overseas opportunity.

Tsatsimas admitted the timing wasn’t ideal but said he'd been "inundated" with interest in just a few hours since the story broke.

“I’ve had better Sundays! It doesn’t help, but that’s the world of football.

“It’ll be a testing week for all concerned,” Tsatsimas said.

“But we won’t panic. We’ll be in control and we have every belief we’ll be ready to go next Sunday [in the A-League].”

Byepopa.jpg

Who takes over and when is the question.

At the present stage, assistant coach Andres Carrasco is expected to take the reins against Perth Glory next Sunday at Spotless.

And with the Spaniard's credentials and background, he'd be a strong candidate for the job.

But if not, finding a replacement option won’t be easy and could take considerable time.

“[But] our members can be assured, we take the due diligence required to find the right candidate for the stature of this club right now,” Tsatsimas said.

“While the timing is not ideal all of Western Sydney need to know that this is a robust organisation and we’ll do everything to ensure this season will be a success.

TonyPopovicjjj.jpg

“We need to process what’s transpired in the last 24 hours,” he added.

“The people in our football department are well versed in what’s happening in pre-season.

“And certainly it’d be folly of us to rush in and make an appointment - particularly with a match five or six days away.

“We will take our time to make the right appointment. When that may be I can’t commit to right now.”

He also hinted departing coach Popovic may take existing Wanderers coaching staff with him to Turkey.

“That very well may be the case,” Tsatsimas conceded.

Wombat

World wide search mariners style??

He has gone to a pissant club in Turkey so the money must be decent?

Rowdy

Recently sacked from Foxsports
....... this has installation of Mark Rudan written all over it.

Insertnamehere

I think it's a good move. We want our managers to have ambition as well. Unlike Arnie..

Good opportunity why the timing is terrible and it's a little different to a star player moving I'm not against it, maybe because it's not us.

Be interesting how he goes, he can build a solid structure but how will the players handle his management style, especially as he hasn't picked any of them.
To a club thats had 8 managers in 18months. Doesn't smack of stability.
I'm going to guess Igor Tudor had some influence on both parties, he's the only successful one of those 8.

Rowdy

Looks like Perth Glory, who were going to sign this kid on an injury replacement have missed out ??

VICTORY CONFIRM 'KING KENNY' ATHIU SIGNING:

ImageResizer.jpg

Melbourne Victory has secured Heidelberg United striker Kenjok Athiu on a season-long loan deal.

Affectionately known as Kenny, Athiu has made 92 appearances for the NPL champions, scoring 57 goals in all competitions over the past three seasons.

The 24-year-old, who arrived in Australia aged 11 having fled war-torn South Sudan, has been on the radar of Melbourne Victory head coach Kevin Muscat for some time.

Muscat on Friday confirmed he had been in discussions with Athiu.

"It's pretty clear to anyone who's watched Kenny play that he's an exciting prospect," Muscat said after Athiu's signing.

"He provides a huge physical presence, but is also really quick across the ground and is good with the ball at his feet - just what you want from a striker."

"There's no doubt it's going to be a big step up for him moving into the professional ranks, but we couldn't ask for him to have a better mentor than Besart Berisha, who I'm sure will take him under his wing."

Athiu successfully completed a medical assessment at Victory headquarters on Friday morning and will present for training on Monday.

Rowdy

Will either do well

OR

Do a Daniel Heffernan :cool:

Interestingly, Heffernan's goal scoring spree (in the year prior to CCM signing Dan) meant the younger Kenny couldnt get a game at Heidelberg & had only stints from the bench.
- once we signed Heff, Athiu got his chance.

JoyfulPenguin

Will either do well

OR

Do a Daniel Heffernan :cool:

Interestingly, Heffernan's goal scoring spree (in the year prior to CCM signing Dan) meant the younger Kenny couldnt get a game at Heidelberg & had only stints from the bench.
- once we signed Heff, Athiu got his chance.
Has the speed for the league so I think he will do better than Heff, in the right team I think Heff could have done well though.

JoyfulPenguin

Good to see Perth Glory signing former Heart right back Jeremy Walker, got phased out in our last year by Aloisi and played the atrocious Hoffman instead at right back. Then got depressed and ended up in the 6th division of English football, hope he does well as he has more than enough quality to be playing in the A-League.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred