• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Transfers and Rumours

Rowdy

Roar eye Holman after Corona exit:
gettyimages-475739374.jpg

Brisbane Roar are aiming to soften the blow of star midfielder Miguel Corona's shock departure by bringing Brett Holman to the A-League next season.

Managing director and prospective majority owner Daniel Cobb confirmed the club are in the hunt for the 63-cap Australia international, who has flagged his desire to join the competition after leaving UAE's Emirates Club in May.

"We've got a lot of irons in the fire. There's a number of player options John (Aloisi) and Craig (Moore) are looking at and he's one," Cobb told AAP on Friday.

Holman, 32, has played in the Middle East since his release from English club Aston Villa in 2013 and would be a handy attacking addition for any A-League side.

With Cobb revealing the Roar intend filling not only all five import slots but the full-season guest player slot recently introduced by Football Federation Australia to help Melbourne City sign Tim Cahill, Holman shapes as a prime candidate.

However other A-League clubs, reportedly Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory, are interested.

It comes after Corona's decision to move back to Spain despite being contracted to Brisbane for another season.

The veteran, who is the Roar's reigning player of the year, will return to former home, UD Almeria, where he's been promised a technical director's job when he eventually hangs up his boots, Cobb said.

The Roar did not receive a transfer fee and though it frees up approximately $200,000 in salary cap money, the loss of the 35 year-old midfield anchor will sting.

New recruit Jacob Pepper, formerly of Newcastle Jets and Western Sydney Wanderers, suddenly looms as Brisbane's best No.6 option.

Cobb, meanwhile, is off to Europe, where he intends to hold talks with potential signings, possible co-investors and a series of clubs - including Portugal's Sporting Lisbon - with which the Roar will look to form player exchange and academy partnerships with.

He says he has built a network of contacts through Melbourne-based private academy Real Football Institute, which has brought a number of Argentinian and Spanish coaches to Australia.

However, the formal sale process of the Roar from the Bakrie Group to the consortium headed by Cobb is not expected to commence at least until after a meeting with FFA next month.

Whatever the eventual outcome, Cobb said he intends becoming Brisbane's sole majority shareholder.

Rowdy

Griffiths and Tombides join Glory on Filipino tour:
griffo_0.jpg

Rostyn Griffiths and Taylor Tombides have joined Perth Glory on trial for the club’s tour of the Philippines which commenced on Monday.

Glory’s 30-man delegation flew out of Perth on Monday for the three-game tour against a series of local sides including the Filipino national team.
Western Australian pair Griffiths and Tombides were both named in the 22-man playing squad which is without Diego Castro, Chris Herd and Joseph Mills who are all yet to arrive in Perth.
Griffiths, 28, left Dutch club Roda JC in April after one season in the Netherlands, having left Glory the season prior to try his luck in Europe.

Former West Ham and Hull City junior Tombides, who is the brother of the late Dylan, is a free agent after an unsuccessful trial at Southend United.
“The club is always interested and on the lookout for WA boys,” a Perth Glory spokesperson said.
“We have 14 on our books and always willing to give players with pedigree a chance. If they’re local it’s a bonus.”

Griffiths recently spoke of his desire to remain in Europe where he started his professional career at Blackburn Rovers.
“One thing I was pleased with was that last year with Roda let me know what level I am at,” Griffiths told the PFA website last week.
“So I feel more content, but I would like to stay away from Australia for a bit longer and experience playing in different countries.
“I feel I get the best out of myself when I am out of my comfort zone so hopefully I can get it all resolved in the next couple of weeks.”

Glory’s first match of the tour is on Wednesday against local side Global FC at Rizal Stadium starting at 3.30pm local time.

JoyfulPenguin

Griffiths and Tombides join Glory on Filipino tour:
griffo_0.jpg

Rostyn Griffiths and Taylor Tombides have joined Perth Glory on trial for the club’s tour of the Philippines which commenced on Monday.

Glory’s 30-man delegation flew out of Perth on Monday for the three-game tour against a series of local sides including the Filipino national team.
Western Australian pair Griffiths and Tombides were both named in the 22-man playing squad which is without Diego Castro, Chris Herd and Joseph Mills who are all yet to arrive in Perth.
Griffiths, 28, left Dutch club Roda JC in April after one season in the Netherlands, having left Glory the season prior to try his luck in Europe.

Former West Ham and Hull City junior Tombides, who is the brother of the late Dylan, is a free agent after an unsuccessful trial at Southend United.
“The club is always interested and on the lookout for WA boys,” a Perth Glory spokesperson said.
“We have 14 on our books and always willing to give players with pedigree a chance. If they’re local it’s a bonus.”

Griffiths recently spoke of his desire to remain in Europe where he started his professional career at Blackburn Rovers.
“One thing I was pleased with was that last year with Roda let me know what level I am at,” Griffiths told the PFA website last week.
“So I feel more content, but I would like to stay away from Australia for a bit longer and experience playing in different countries.
“I feel I get the best out of myself when I am out of my comfort zone so hopefully I can get it all resolved in the next couple of weeks.”

Glory’s first match of the tour is on Wednesday against local side Global FC at Rizal Stadium starting at 3.30pm local time.
If Glory can sign those two then they have one hell of a side for next season.

Rowdy

If Glory can sign those two then they have one hell of a side for next season.
Tony $age ! ;)

Wonder if Glory have managed to fit Keogh's wife & her car under the salary cap for the full season ???

Maybe she's just an injury replacement & the car will drive onto the field to take her off whenever she 'goes-down' :cool:

Rowdy

Melbourne City sign Neil Kilkenny:
gettyimages-482240300.jpg

Melbourne City has signed Australian midfielder Neil Kilkenny on a two-year deal.

Kilkenny, 30, joins after his contract expired at Preston North End where he has played since 2014.

Last season he played 13 times in the Championship, scoring one goal.

Kilkenny underwent his medical at the City Football Academy in Manchester last week, and arrived in Melbourne on Monday to commence training with his new teammates. It's City’s eighth signing of the season.

Born in England before moving to Australia as a child – and therefore eligible to play the Socceroos – Kilkenny’s playing career began at Arsenal FC’s youth academy. Having progressed through Arsenal’s junior ranks, Kilkenny played for Birmingham City, Oldham Athletic, Leeds United, Bristol City and most recently Preston North End, making over 300 appearances across a 12-year career in England.

The midfielder also represented England’s under-18s, under-20s and the Republic of Ireland’s under-19s, before settling his international career with Australia, featuring for the Olyroos on 10 occasions and earning 14 caps for the Socceroos.

Coach John van’t Schip said: “Neil has played over a decade in England so has right qualities to help deliver experience and leadership from the centre of midfield.

“We have followed Neil’s progress and believe he is the type of player who can fit into our system and execute the way we want to play.”

Kilkenny said: “I have always wanted to challenge myself in the A-League and this move has come at the perfect time.

“I’m excited to be playing for a team that plays a certain style of football; I’m looking forward to the challenge and the adventure and everything that surrounds this move and I can’t wait to start.”

Kilkenny’s arrival follows recent signings Manny Muscat, Bruce Kamau, Daniel Arzani, Ruon Tongyik and Luke Brattan and the re-signing of Dean Bouzanis, Nick Fitzgerald and Anthony Caceres.

Rowdy

Will be interesting to see if all these new signings for the 'Plastics' will come together and 'gel as good' as the squad that JVS had humming quite well last season.

JoyfulPenguin

Will be interesting to see if all these new signings for the 'Plastics' will come together and 'gel as good' as the squad that JVS had humming quite well last season.
Indeed, I don't think JVS is up to it though. Has looked down on the league the whole time he has been here and only seems to truly apply himself when his job is on the line. If he couldn't do it with the squad they had last year I doubt he ever will. He's leaving at the end of this season any how it will be interesting to see who CFG replace him with.

Luca Brasi

SBS reports that WSW are trialing Dylan Murnane (released by MV) as their Jamieson replacement.
442 reports that Danny Vukovic has departed MV on personal grounds, no word on any transfer.

Luca Brasi

Covic bumped?
Vukovic signs 2 year deal with SFC, 5th A League club. Son requires a liver transplant.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

Danny is a W Sydney boy and if he needs to be near Westmead then signing for them makes sense.

Hope it all works out for the bloke

Rowdy

Is Arnie on a mission from God ?

The Band:
- Graham Arnold
- Andrew Clarke
- John Crawley
- Alex Wilkinson
- Danny Vukovic
- Bernie Ibini (possible loan deal)
- Matt Simon (looking likely to resign)

Recapturing some of the Mariners winning & fighting spirit with that lot there.

Forum Phoenix

Is Arnie on a mission from God ?

The Band:
- Graham Arnold
- Andrew Clarke
- John Crawley
- Alex Wilkinson
- Danny Vukovic
- Bernie Ibini (possible loan deal)
- Matt Simon (looking likely to resign)

Recapturing some of the Mariners winning & fighting spirit with that lot there.

Except the only way to truly put the band back together is with six thousand coasties who bleed yellow and a dutchman without whom he would never have achieved jack shit imho.

That said they will be a much better side for Wilko, Danny and Bernie this year.

FFC Mariner

Not sure Danny is the keeper he was was and Bernie coming back after a year out

Think Arnie may not last the season if they dont improve

Forum Phoenix

Yeah good points. Though on the other hand, injuries can make you find your hunger (Bernies one clear deficit) and tragedy ground and focus you... actually makes me a little interested in watching them this year. Imagine Arnie picked up Fitz and Caceres as well - would have been pretty hilarious to watch them run out this year.

I actually feel like I can't wish them ill with my usual passion this year. :unsure:

Will need to meditate and cleanse myself of all goodwill to restore balance.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred