• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Expansion

Forum Phoenix

Loooottt of very pissed of GCU fanus stating this is it, they've had enough.
They say the damage is done, and that throughout the region the club is viewed as a complete joke.
They all loathe Palmer. And cap, no cap or price reductions... they are done with the club.

MV V's GCU - crowd - 1900.

style_cafe

Does the Illawarra region really need the A-League?

Their local comp is already semi professional with many teams paying players over $500- a game,some as much as $1,000- a game

With a basically ethnic based competition they regularly get 2-3000 people attending the big derbies.

It`s a very good competition & if you watch the Tiger cup results a lot of the Illawarra sides beat the Premier league & Super league sides.

Forum Phoenix

Surely style these self same reasons, as with Canberra are all the more reason for expansion? Strong local interest and support and traditionally strong breeding ground for players... AND we are looking at creating better pathways for our young up and coming players - many of whom we know are still missed. I know Canberra has been screaming out that they have no real pathways and need a HAL and Youth league team.
(AIS doesn't count)

Love my style debates ;)

style_cafe

Surely style these self same reasons, as with Canberra and all the more reason for expansion? Strong local interest and support and traditionally strong breedig ground for players... AND we are looking at creating better pathways for our young up and coming players - many of whom we know are still missed. I know Canberra has been screaming out that they have no real pathways and need a HAL and Youth league team.
(AIS doesn't count)

Love my style debates ;)

Sorry FP no debate today! :fireup:

I agree with creating pathways for junior players.
It`s something I`m very passionate about.

Over the past 30years or so I`ve seen so many talented juniors give the game away whilst mediocre players have gone on to greater things.

The junior development system under Football NSW is still far from perfect.
About 10 years ago I was on the Youth League Revue panel for SoccerNSW & was instrumental in, (along with Mr. Chiarello from Eastern Suburbs) putting together a total package which created pathways from u/6 to the Socceroos.
This package included different acheivement levels for players to aspire to.
It was warmly received by many members of the Board but not by the now Premier League Clubs, who would have been forced to devolop players instead of poaching them from other clubs.(Sorry to digress)

However, my question was "Does Illawarra Football need the A-league"?

The South Coast has a great set up with most local Premier League Clubs owning their own grounds & having licenced premises either on the ground or close by.

Wollongong Wolves in the Premier League do not attract bigger crowds than the locals.

So would the locals want the A-league to over-ride their already successful set-up? I doubt it.

I would love to see Wollongong in the top flite again.
Hell, I`d love to see a 20 team A-league with strong state Premier leagues under them.

Teams like Canberra,Tassie,Darwin,Freemantle,Western Sydney, maybe another Adelaide, western NSW eg. Bathurst
are all areas that would enjoy the A-league but it gets down to the almighty $$$.

Forum Phoenix

Great post Style.

Apologies, as I think I clearly misunderstood the line of your questioning now I see it in context to you broader opinion. So I'm in near total agreement. ;D

Personally I'd argue for Canberra, Tassie and the much debated WS as the next best expansions areas. But I'm of the same mind as you, that i'd one day love to see a 20 team comp and that Illawarra region is an obvious must - though you raise some very good points - which for mine would more be more keys as to what must go into the set up process as opposed to reasons why not to have a HAL side there.

As an Australian football supporter, the failure of the 2022 WC bid hurt most I think in this regard, as the loss of development benefits and impetus it would have provided to our national football scene is simply too sad to think upon. Without the WC expansion its clearly going to be considerably slower, especially as it just doesn't seem that football will ever get any real recognition by our press until we win a world cup perhaps... as making the final of the AC still could not displace Rugby in it's off season have a beach game against nippers getting pride of place... or tennis when no Aussies are even left competing in the competition.

We all know the reasons why this is, but it hurts all the same, and a WC is just so big that there's just no ignoring it. So we'll just have to bloody win the thing I guess. :thumbup:
:grouphug:

What do people think of the launch of Fury's "Community Model" by the way?

Oh, and thats a very impressive background you have Style! Congratulations also for your efforts on behalf of the game in this country.

style_cafe

Great post Style.

Apologies, as I think I clearly misunderstood the line of your questioning now I see it in context to you broader opinion. So I'm in near total agreement. ;D

Personally I'd argue for Canberra, Tassie and the much debated WS as the next best expansions areas. But I'm of the same mind as you, that i'd one day love to see a 20 team comp and that Illawarra region is an obvious must - though you raise some very good points - which for mine would more be more keys as to what must go into the set up process as opposed to reasons why not to have a HAL side there.

As an Australian football supporter, the failure of the 2022 WC bid hurt most I think in this regard, as the loss of development benefits and impetus it would have provided to our national football scene is simply too sad to think upon. Without the WC expansion its clearly going to be considerably slower, especially as it just doesn't seem that football will ever get any real recognition by our press until we win a world cup perhaps... as making the final of the AC still could not displace Rugby in it's off season have a beach game against nippers getting pride of place... or tennis when no Aussies are even left competing in the competition.

We all know the reasons why this is, but it hurts all the same, and a WC is just so big that there's just no ignoring it. So we'll just have to bloody win the thing I guess. :thumbup:
:grouphug:

What do people think of the launch of Fury's "Community Model" by the way?

Oh, and thats a very impressive background you have Style! Congratulations also for your efforts on behalf of the game in this country.

Thanks for the compliment FP. :innocent:

I think the FFA should move heaven & earth to ensure that the Fury remain in the competition.

If Townsville combine with Cairns & share the games/costs etc. they should become viable. Add to that a favourable draw where they could cut costs & everyones a winner.

Wasn`t it only a few years ago that the FFA was in financial trouble & SoccerNSW had to bail them out?
A $1m dollar loan as I recall it.

They sure have short memories...

dibo

^^^
Sometimes on here we forget to ask that question, or anticipate that it might be asked of us.

scottmac

Suspended
So would the locals want the A-league to over-ride their already successful set-up? I doubt it.

Would it have to override it? Is that the only possible outcome?

i don't think so. I think that a carefully planned and thought out venture could expand and add to what the Illawarra region has in place especially if given the chance to use people like Chippers while he can still play to unite the region under one banner for the A-League.

Does the Illawarra region need the A-League? Yes. I am sure that youngsters in the area have ambition. What better way to grow our competition and sport than have top flight representation in its strongest areas. Granted that unification of the region would be needed for it to work but better to have tried and failed than not tried at all. The MLS expanded and retracted a few times before it took off, so failure before success is not without precedence.

Does the A-League need the Illawarra region? Most definitley yes.

style_cafe

The Illawarra really has a different set up to most Associations. It`s like the old National League with strong ethnic based clubs supported by licenced premises.

One team (Dandalong) is owned by the pub & they pay some players over $1,000- a game.

They have a very strong junior set-up Pedj & Chippers being just two that spring to mind,so they dinitely have the talent.

To my knowledge though they don`t have anyone to drive the bus (Chippers?) so to speak to put in a bid

kevrenor

Dandaloo FC in Illawarra Premier League

Known to some as the 'Dandy Lions', are sponsored by the Dandaloo pub.

They play Central Coast FC (Super League) at Budgewoi on Sunday 27th Feb, in a pre-season trial.

style_cafe

Dandaloo FC in Illawarra Premier League

Known to some as the 'Dandy Lions', are sponsored by the Dandaloo pub.

They play Central Coast FC (Super League) at Budgewoi on Sunday 27th Feb, in a pre-season trial.
Thanks for the correction KEV ..it`s getting late...cheers

midfielder

The Illawarra really has a different set up to most Associations. It`s like the old National League with strong ethnic based clubs supported by licenced premises.

One team (Dandalong) is owned by the pub & they pay some players over $1,000- a game.

They have a very strong junior set-up Pedj & Chippers being just two that spring to mind,so they dinitely have the talent.

To my knowledge though they don`t have anyone to drive the bus (Chippers?) so to speak to put in a bid

I tho when they had the backing of Gordon Butler (owner of WIN Corp) they should have got the nod instead of Fury and the Fold.... it is a football heartland ... trouble was to close to SFC for the powers to let them in...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred