• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

booney

Watching the final I am almost glad our girls did not make it.If we had somehow contrived to beat England in the SF Spain would have ripped us apart with their exquisite passing and great use of space.England just managing rto stay in the game but under pressure for most of the first half.

Big Al

The ref has to be fargahni’s wife. Although she did give Spain everything.

The poms loved her the other night but will be hating her today

Wombat

That was an absolutely sensational WC Final. Spain were incredible and England were fantastic too. The technical Football on display today was staggering.

Well done Spain.

I'm sad England lost but happy to have witnessed the best game of Women's Football of all time.

booney

The Spanish players' ability to play out under intense pressure was a joy to watch.Some of their passing moves when they transitioned from defence to attack were so smooth and their use of space incredible.
England did not play badly but found the Spanish defence so well organised and their young goalkeeper very confident in cutting out crosses.The English girls certainly did not bottle it but on the night were just pipped by gifted opponent.

BTW how good were Japan to beat Spain 4 nil in a group game.

Big Al

Hows the that Spanish suit hugs kisses and the odd but slap :overheadl:

Forget all the political BS he is there getting numbers.

Albo is wishing he was Spanish. He’s like Penny Wong would never be down for this

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Watching the final I am almost glad our girls did not make it.If we had somehow contrived to beat England in the SF Spain would have ripped us apart with their exquisite passing and great use of space.England just managing rto stay in the game but under pressure for most of the first half.
Yeah...watching their semi, I was fully confident that we would be able to beat both of those teams....if we turned up like we did against France (unfortunately, we didn't).

Spain were on a whole other level tonight.

It was interesting to watch - every time they ran the ball into the corner it wasn't really because they wanted it to be there, and they used a series of short passes to bring the ball into the middle.

Compare that to the Standard Australian Strategy of 'do everything you possibly can to make your strikers run into the corner so they can do a completely useless cross'. No but seriously....it's so f****** painful how 'send it to the corner and cross it' is our standard attack. For the socceroos, the Matildas, and every single A-league team.

It gets really painful to watch when the attack has the defence on the back foot with a quick counter....and they they pass it into the corner for the attacker to run onto, giving the defence all the time in the world to get back while the attacker tries to turn around so they can send another useless cross in.

Just really stark contrast with a country that prides itself on close ball control, versus us where all we're brought up to do, is tap the ball to the side and behind the defender and 15 yards ahead of yourself then sprint to the ball.

Our 'stand back and wait for them to screw up' approach would have been torn to shreds by Spain.

I was also reminded of - for all this talk about how good England were in our game (and they were a lot better than us) - they made a LOT of errors, a lot of unforced turnovers. We were just unable to punish those errors. They still made a lot of those errors tonight.

Still, I thought it was quite an exciting match to watch. Men's World Cup finals are often boring games, IMO.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The ref has to be fargahni’s wife. Although she did give Spain everything.

The poms loved her the other night but will be hating her today
Oh yeah, her getting this game is an absolute farce but FIFA assessors have to be absolutely cooked. Especially when you consider that the likes of Ams and Faghani are FIFA refs.....

Her positioning was dreadful too - she was constantly in the way (though I'm increasingly of the opinion that, for some reason, atrocious positioning seems to be what's taught at the top levels these days). Inconsistent and afraid of cards again (letting various timewasting antics go, again.....though not as bad as our one), but she performed miles better than in our game.

Though it ticked me off that she let injured players hobble 60 yards across the field and up at halfway, when she's supposed to make them go off the nearest line. Basic stuff.

And jesus christ, could her and the VAR have taken ANY longer on what was a pretty clear penalty? Not to mention how poorly she managed the entire penalty....

Last edited:

Wombat

Oh yeah, her getting this game is an absolute farce but FIFA assessors have to be absolutely cooked. Especially when you consider that the likes of Ams and Faghani are FIFA refs.....

Her positioning was dreadful too - she was constantly in the way (though I'm increasingly of the opinion that, for some reason, atrocious positioning seems to be what's taught at the top levels these days). Inconsistent and afraid of cards again (letting various timewasting antics go, again.....though not as bad as our one), but she performed miles better than in our game.

Though it ticked me off that she let injured players hobble 60 yards across the field and up at halfway, when she's supposed to make them go off the nearest line. Basic stuff.

And jesus christ, could her and the VAR have taken ANY longer on what was a pretty clear penalty? Not to mention how poorly she managed the entire penalty....

What about reaching for the yellow card for the Spanish striker for kicking the ball away, realising it would be become a red and sheepishly putting it away. Female Evans.

Stuartmcateer

I said this at the game last night. Spain would have destroyed us.

Some of their one touch passing in close spaces, especially at the back, was awesome.

the second best final I have attended this year though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred