• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Big Al

She looks like Storm Roux of old (not the legend of the past season) Good going forward but can't defend!

Some very strong postives to come out of this Cup for Australia.

Hunt
Cooney-Cross
Foord
Sam back from injury
Fowler

The future looks strong for Australia.
Just need another young CB to partner Hunt and we are set. Polkinhorn is to old and so is is Kennedy but at least keep Kennedy for when we need a CB to play as a desperation forward for headers.

Ozhammer

To be honest Carpenter was pretty ordinary in both attack and defence all tournament but Gustavson was the biggest reason why the semi was a game too far for us. He needed to use his squad better to ensure fatigue issues were minimised and should have given more minutes to Grant, Yallop and Chidiak at least imho.

It’s easy to be an armchair coach but tournament football has unique challenges and those teams with good squad depth will always stand the best chances of going furthest.

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The Yank Ref wont get the final. She is terrible. I reckon it will be the South American.
Bad news - she got it.

Had an absolute shocker in our match too. There's something seriously wrong with how these referees are assessed at this level. And somehow is rewarded with the greatest achievement any referee can dream of.

I'm quite certain that they've all been instructed to be pretty much absent during their games and do absolutely nothing (under a misguided notion of trying to not make the game about the ref or some crap)- to me, that would seem to explain the combination of inconsistency and refusal to use cards we've seen all tournament.

I thought FIFA learned from previous mens world cups that you can't take the best refs in the world and tell them all to referee differently to how they're used to, after they did that in...2006? and after giving pretty strong instructions on how to referee, they basically all butchered their games.

Anyway, gotta go for England in Sunday's game. And judging from the other semi, England should be all over them. Heck, we would have destroyed either of those teams if we were playing well.

So many nervous mistakes that the occasion seems to have got to them. Yes, that also points us back to blaming Gustav, as he's responsible for the mindset. But maybe fatigue (as pointed out on here) also contributes to panicked passes and errors, even early in the match.

We're a fickle bunch, us fans, aren't we?

God I hope Matildas win tomorrow - would be great to finish on a high after all the positivity.

But whatever the outcome, it's been so amazing to have been a part of this event, and what an incredible thing it's been for the sport - and women's sport especially. Amazing experience.

Last edited:

booney

Spain is a skilled side but so is England and they are very physical as well so should be too good in the final.Hopefully the Matildas can get themselves up for the playoff game but the Swedes will also be feeling deflated as they have been so close to making the final so many times.

For what it's worth I thought Kerr's goal was just below Timmy's wonder strike in ranking Australian goals scored in WC games.Her goal was the sort you dream of scoring yourself-making a long run with the ball and then blasting it past the keeper.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Spain is a skilled side but so is England and they are very physical as well so should be too good in the final
Yeah....hopefully the game doesn't become a farce though; Spain were diving a lot in the last 10 minutes - and they'll never be booked for it at this WC. Though with England being pretty physical, they won't need to dive.....

For what it's worth I thought Kerr's goal was just below Timmy's wonder strike in ranking Australian goals scored in WC games.Her goal was the sort you dream of scoring yourself-making a long run with the ball and then blasting it past the keeper.
Absolutely amazing goal,

Melange

Van Egmond came on and my wife asked "you're not going to spend the next 30 minutes bagging her are you?" I said "that depends on Emily doesn't it!"

My tongue's bleeding from all the times I had to bite it ?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Shaun Evans var? That was a f**king terrible decision
The issue for me.... I can certainly see merit in it as a foul, she did kick her leg.

But not when you compare it to what was let go before that, let alone after it.

If that was a foul, so was the push in England's second goal.

Sigh, disappointing finish, but we are playing teams well above us. We just didn't really have an ad answer in the box tonight.

Our strategy, as commentators have pointed out, is to sit off the ball and punish the turnover. But that requires a clinical finish. And we lacked that the last two games.

Though it was a better performance tonight, I thought. Less pressure perhaps.

Forum Phoenix

Fatigued squad. Or I should say - starting 11. Zero rotation or preservation, Was brilliant that they gave themselves a shot at getting on the podium, but tactically naive - or worse…pandering - to think they could get a result just by business as usual and being their wonderful selves. They are great. But there’s no way in those two games you can expect to beat those sides if you don’t up your grit to level ten and make every battle on the park life and death. At the very least some more creative tactical solutions were required.

We sat off. Let them play. then worse expected them to respect us and let us play. All they really had to do was be prepared for the counter and come at us quickly, consistently and in numbers and we were never even in the game.

marinermick

Van Egmond came on and my wife asked "you're not going to spend the next 30 minutes bagging her are you?" I said "that depends on Emily doesn't it!"

My tongue's bleeding from all the times I had to bite it ?

I had a more forgiving wife. Didn’t say anything about my constant yelling of “f**king scummer”, especially when she was on for three minutes and didn’t track the midfielder who scored. Let Mary Fowler run past her to try.

turbo

To be honest Carpenter was pretty ordinary in both attack and defence all tournament
and that’s ok to an extent unless the player is deemed to be untouchable and never rested or hooked on the back of a number of serious mistakes. There’s no question Ellie gave it her all, the questions are on the manager who seemed to be judging her on name and potential which is incredibly harsh on the players not getting a run. They don’t have to compete with todays Ellie they have to compete with peak Ellie who’s not even here and that’s really rough.

Big Al

I think the manager is coping a lot for no squad rotation but i think he knew the others were simply not good enough and the drop off in standard was more dangerous than tired players.

Really after the loss to Nigeria there was no room for error.

He had to keep the foot on the throat of Canada.

France went the distance and required our best.

Already flat by England game but a silly defensive error and a Sam Kerr miss from 6yrs is the difference between maybe pulling off a miracle.

I think against Sweden you can’t embarrass yourself and they are to good to play a weaker squad.

We were horrible defensively in the couple of years warming up to the tournament so to go 4 clean sheets was impressive but we were always going to crack against the best.

The offense was out of sync due to Sam issues and the better coaches countered against our preferred play.

Our talent is not as strong as it used to be across a squad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred