• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2021/22 Memberships

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Monty will be a disaster. You can't put a rookie coach in this position. Monty has zero runs on the board, not even NPL. You can't learn your trade under this horseshit.
Agree. No offence to Monty, but our dark years have had too many coaches who lack A-League experience.

Though if it comes down to a choice between somebody like Monty and Cahn, or Rudan.....well shit, let's promote somebody.

Ozhammer

Monty will be a disaster. You can't put a rookie coach in this position. Monty has zero runs on the board, not even NPL. You can't learn your trade under this horseshit.
Not sure I agree with this viewpoint tbh, Monty has already shown what he can do with limited resources in the academy space, so whilst his senior coaching experience might be limited that’s not the be all and end all of it.

He is also one of only two people currently in Australia that holds a UEFA Pro Licence, the other person being Paddy Kisnorbo, who has done pretty well this season despite also having limited senior coaching experience.

Monty also has years of experience playing at the highest professional level overseas and therefore knows what is required to achieve high levels of success.

On top of all that, he is one of our own, knows the club culture, lives on the Coast and has the necessary contacts to bring the sorts of players we need to the club, so overall, I think he would be a very shrewd appointment by the club.

scottmac

Suspended
Not sure I agree with this viewpoint tbh, Monty has already shown what he can do with limited resources in the academy space, so whilst his senior coaching experience might be limited that’s not the be all and end all of it.

He is also one of only two people currently in Australia that holds a UEFA Pro Licence, the other person being Paddy Kisnorbo, who has done pretty well this season despite also having limited senior coaching experience.

Monty also has years of experience playing at the highest professional level overseas and therefore knows what is required to achieve high levels of success.

On top of all that, he is one of our own, knows the club culture, lives on the Coast and has the necessary contacts to bring the sorts of players we need to the club, so overall, I think he would be a very shrewd appointment by the club.
Limited resources in the academy space means bugger all, experience playing does not make a coach, and comparing Kisnorbos success with the richest club in the league to what Monty might deliver in the poorest is laughable.

scottmac

Suspended
Agree. No offence to Monty, but our dark years have had too many coaches who lack A-League experience.

Though if it comes down to a choice between somebody like Monty and Cahn, or Rudan.....well shit, let's promote somebody.
I'll take Cahn thanks, if I had a choice. Otherwise it's another world wide search.......

pjennings

Already renewed. I follow my local Football team in the national competition. I don't follow Alen Stajcic or Ollie or any of the players (except as a passing interest) unless they are playing in my local Football team in the national competition.

Similarly, the owner of the club is immaterial as to whether I support my team. The club is the fans and the community. Owners, managers and players will come and go. Whilever we have a club on the Coast they will have my support.

priorpeter

Already renewed. I follow my local Football team in the national competition. I don't follow Alen Stajcic or Ollie or any of the players (except as a passing interest) unless they are playing in my local Football team in the national competition.

Similarly, the owner of the club is immaterial as to whether I support my team. The club is the fans and the community. Owners, managers and players will come and go. Whilever we have a club on the Coast they will have my support.

Hit the nail on the head harder next time why don’t you

Forum Phoenix

Bingo PJ. Well said,

Forum Phoenix

Mmm, I lean the other way on Monty. For the considerable future we’re going to be a composite of a few senior players and a lot of youth.

I think his playing experience in elite football coupled with his time connection to our club make him a very good candidate to be able to deal with senior players in the dressing room. His success with the academy and the status he has from his career make him a good choice for working with young players. Add his residency/commitment to the coast, coaching badges and familiarity with our limitations, and he’s a choice that we could do a lot, lot worse than imo.

And if he worked out... Unlike others, he’d more likely be able to bring us some long term stability than most other coaches... who will dump us if they’re terrible and blame our lack of resources.., or dump us to take a step up the ladder if they do well, and again blame our lack of resources.

I could see Monty managing us longer term if things went well, and I think that stability would be ideal for us.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Mmm, I lean the other way on Monty. For the considerable future we’re going to be a composite of a few senior players and a lot of youth.

I think his playing experience in elite football coupled with his time connection to our club make him a very good candidate to be able to deal with senior players in the dressing room. His success with the academy and the status he has from his career make him a good choice for working with young players. Add his residency/commitment to the coast, coaching badges and familiarity with our limitations, and he’s a choice that we could do a lot, lot worse than imo.

And if he worked out... Unlike others, he’d more likely be able to bring us some long term stability than most other coaches... who will dump us if they’re terrible and blame our lack of resources.., or dump us to take a step up the ladder if they do well, and again blame our lack of resources.

I could see Monty managing us longer term if things went well, and I think that stability would be ideal for us.
Good points. Contingent upon the owner and fans having the patience to let him learn

pjennings

Scott is being absolutely sensible. Monty or Ben Cahn IS scary BUT our owner is a complete f**kwit so what are we to do?
Let's take the owner out of the equation. What past or present manager would you consider to be what we want.

We've all heard the Rudan, Aloisi talk. But looking back at A-League level managers I can't see any that would do the job that Stajcic just did with the resources he had with the exception of Arnie.

Ange and Arnie were great A-League managers. Arnie at CCM did the job with not much money (though apparently more than we could afford). At SFC he continued with much more resources. Popovic, Corica and Merrick and Muscat have done well with plenty of money behind them.

I find it hard to identify a manager that has been there and done that in the A-League that would
(a) take the job
(b) who we would want to take the job
even ignoring the scant resources we have. Once you get to that stage looking at Ben Cahn or Monty doesn't seem that scary.

Let's face it - not everyone has agreed with all of our Managers appointments. Lawrie as inaugural manager and front man gets a pass. Arnie, our most successful manager was death- ridden to start with by more than a few. see https://www.ccmfans.net/community/threads/the-graham-arnold-thread.3501/

We'll get a manager that will want to make a success of their tenure for their own sake. I think with Cahn and Monty you can add they would have added affinity to the club on top of their own need to succeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami