• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2017 FFA Cup Round of 32 vs Blacktown City away.

ZedSpecials

What would we have PO say at this point ? Crikey
We shit the bed & EVERYBODY watched.

Most of those questions, I fancy you can almost see the responsible player's particular screw-up(s) floating, vaudeville style, across his eyeballs as he engages brain and drops cliche in reply.

I'm quite pleased its nonsensical really, makes it easier for us to ignore.

Desperate to believe this was in fact - good coaching - unlike the 90th minute substitution trident (TRIDENT!!) and just PO insulating a few young egos that we badly need un-bruised and ripe for the new season...

COYY...

Football nut

Central Coast coach Paul Okon says FFA Cup shock exit against Blacktown City won't derail Mariners
Coach Paul Okon is certain Central Coast's shock FFA Cup exit won't derail an otherwise promising A-League pre-season.

For the second year running the Mariners' cup campaign ended before it began on Wednesday night, this time at the hands of NSW NPL leaders Blacktown City.

Though the Gosford side did not play poorly, three cheap goals to Blacktown ensured the round-of-32 boilover, and simultaneously snapped their pre-season record of zero losses and zero goals conceded in the preceding four games.

It took former A-League striker Joey Gibbs all of two minutes to secure Blacktown's lead via a free-kick, before Giorgio Speranza put a second past Mariners goalkeeper Adam Pearce as Tom Glover, the new gloveman on loan from Tottenham, watched from the bench.

Kwabena Appiah netted either side of halftime to restore parity, but Gibbs completed his own brace to seal the 3-2 result, with eight minutes remaining.

Last year, Central Coast's round-of-32 loss to Green Gully directly prompted the sacking of then-coach Tony Walmsley.

Twelve months later, Walmsley's successor was unperturbed by the repeat result.

"We were excellent," a calm Okon said.

"They had a plan to sit back and take whatever chances came their way, from us losing the ball or trying to force things.

"We hadn't conceded up until tonight, that's the real disappointing thing about the three goals we gave away.

"We did enough in the 90 minutes to win the game quite comfortably so that's an area we'll definitely be working on.

"The positive thing for us is there's a few gears we can step it up."

Okon felt the unfamiliar synthetic surface at Lilys Football Centre had levelled the contest, and insisted the Mariners were a class above their NPL vanquishers.

"There's a massive gap, we saw that with the way we controlled the game and moved the ball," he said.

"They struggled to get near us, and their three goals weren't scored because they outplayed us or did something - they were goals we gave them.

"If we had not played the way we did then maybe there would be some concern, but I don't think we did too much wrong."

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/03/02/19/ffa-cup-exit-won-t-derail-mariners-okon
Seriously comments like this undoes the value of the Club and makes us look like dicks. A bit of truth "we were not good enough on the night and there still is a lot of work in front of us". Drop the bullshit stand up and take ownership. I think most people watching could see they were not a class above. If you truly believe these comments written are true Paulo it is probably time to give up coaching..........

ballantyne

Plastic pitch is a massive advantage though. My hometown team Oldham Athletic achieved their greatest feats in 120 years on one. The EPL banned them and before long Latics were in League Two.

I expected Mariners to lose this one, and Paul Okon's comments should be seen in the context of his predecessor's sacking at this point last year.

Theoretically there is better in this team, but no evidence yet.

localpom

More would have been learnt from a tough loss like this than a cruisy 3-0 win. Of course we all would have wanted that, but it's now how the team focuses on the next 2 months that's important. Some key points would be -
  • Get DDS match fit. Without him we have no creative outlet.
  • Who partners Baro? I would go for Liam but have seem Rowles play yet.
  • Where do we play Hoole? Right mid?
  • Who is our first choice keeper? I'd go for Glover, but haven't seen anything of him.
  • Partner up the 2 Dutch guys as soon as possible to get them in synch.
  • Get Asdrub's match fit ASAP.
  • Who is captain? Tommy H would get my vote.
  • who is going to score goals if Asdrubal doesn't or gets injured?

Lot's to do.

yellowcake

1. I'm disappointed, especially with 9 weeks of of pre-season still ahead but on reflection today my thoughts are along the lines of Timmah and scottmac's optimism on the previous page. When we got back to 2-2, I honestly thought we would salvage the game.

2. With match stats like 66% possession, 9 corners to 1 and 16 shots to 5 still can't quite believe could lose.

3. I'm really smiling because I nearly saw my night going from bad to disaster...
Stopped at Thornleigh Maccas on the way home. Went to the Gents and peripherally visualised a bloke down the other end sporting some blue, some yellow and some Dyldam and thought he'd just been where I'd been. He must have taken my "that's a disappointment" to be a reference to his old fella or something and I copped the spray from hell which I just managed to diffuse with a profuse apology for the mistaken identity, while imagining being about to be left in a pool of blood on the toilet floor. (How was I to know that Dyldam sponsor the Parramatta Eels?)

Big Al

We were shit.
Poor coaching.
Pearce is simply shit. Reasonable keeper for youth...thats it. Okon and the worlds most under-qualified keeper coach Nash should hang there heads.
Roux.....average.
Rose.....better than Roux
Baro...good
Golec...very mixed game, always looks likely to give away a pen. Poor Coaching by Okon to start him in front of Rowles.
Tom Dutchy...mostly good
McGing....mostly a mug but worked hard
Hoole.....lots of promise
Pain....disappointing
Bingham...rubbish
Appiah....some good stuff and some trash. The goal was brilliant but he gifted them the winning goaL.

Pearce, McGing,Appiah and Bingham are not HAL standard. And the jury is out on Roux and Pain.
Except Bingham. He looks good to me. Had no service and three defenders on him.
Mcging trying is still terrible

Rowdy

• Who is captain? Tommy H would get my vote

Talked about this very issue with Pete last nite on way to the game, of where's the 'leadership' going to come from this season ??

Storm took the reins when Monty was out injured last season, & most likely due in part to his longer tenure at CCM than any other player .... he made do.

But with Monty now gone, there was a clear lack of leadership evidence out on that pitch last nite.

CB's & DM's, generally make for good Captains. They sit within the 'spine' and being 'in-behind' offers vision & adds to the advantage.

DM's even more so, as they're forever playing forwards and backwards rotationally .... proverbial 'heads on sticks'.

Hiariej & Brama (x2 DM's) for mine, could be just the spark needed for a new shift in 'team mentality' - if either one were appointed as our new Captain.

Hiariej's english is superb, no worries there from videos watched. He's on a 2 year deal - Brama 1? Both have 10+ years experience in the Eredivisie.

But it's Brama who's 300+ games at the bigger clubs of Twente, PEC & Utrecht having the edge on Tommy's 100+ games for Gron.

It just comes down to which of the 2 has the better leadership skills & communicates them.

I put either forward, because let's face it- is Josh Rose:
a) going to be in PO's plans beyond 2017/18 ??
b) will he be starting XI enough to award the Capt. ??

Couple that with Roux not being the same player post injury, him NOT being Capt. allows him to focus on his own game and regaining consistent form.

Because as Scotty clearly posted, he should have put in a better shift last nite in that game .....with or without the Captains armband.

No brainer. :doh:

true believer

I see where you think I've gone over. This is not an August problem. This guy should be at a level above everyone else in the team right now. An international player who went to the Confeds and dishes up that as captian.
Your delusional if you think what he served up last night is ok and to be written off as an August problem. FFS its a competitive match with a trophy at the end without going into the benefits it could provide our pre season having 11 new players.

i don't think he was that bad . i'll stick to my position of there was no cohesion in the back 5
the last goal had 3 guys on their man and none picked him up

because both roux and rose were moving forward someone else has to pick guys up when it goes pear shaped .

it might be a competitive trophy . but as has been shown with perth . if you cop the top teams from the NPL
while you've had a month of training your on a hiding to nothing.

i actually , was more disappointed with the performance of hoole and pain . but i din't think they should be hung , drawn and quartered either .

Big Al

Bit of criticism of the binger but what did he do wrong?
Almost scored early on a nice run, keeper stayed big and just made a good body save. He got no other service after that. There was no chance that Asdrubal would have scored that Bingham missed IMO

We were tactically out played by there 352. Hoole likes to dribble to the middle and then tried to go through them a few times. I don't mind that but they clogged the middle and he had no room to move or pass through to Bingham. He didn't go wide enough times either. Hoole is Fab 2.0 fast but passing is something other people do to him not the other way. He is dangerous in the middle and will have a crack but there was just no room. He's set pieces are alot better. With a more open space that the A League will offer he will be capable but not DDS standard.

5 shots 3 goals is last season no doubt. Pearce made a stupid mistake. Trust the wall keepers. The shot didn't even go in the bottom corner, it was half way between middle and corner. If stayed in position it would have hit him.

PO we did play well and prettiest but we lost. Stop being happy with having more possession. It's useless if you let 3 goals in

true believer

LOL.
Good man. Im going to bed after letting off some steam!!!!!:mad:
We really should be ashamed as a club losing to state league teams.
Tony got sacked for the same humiliation last year which is interesting.

just for you and scot

pearce . like izzo can't set a wall .
rossy . return of my favorite mariner , was very good
golec looked like a guy that hasn't played in a long time
baro looked like a guy on a cruise after a force 9 gail . got better in the second half
roux tried to get forward , not the root of all evil
dutch tommy brilliant touches but not enough of them
mcging big , imposing , maybe some raw meat needed
Kwabena the shining light of the night
pain all to often took the wrong option
hoole see pain -1
bingham not great but no support

a generally disjointed effort

tally ho

priorpeter

Great trip down on train with 'Pete', non-stop talking Football, beers @ the Seven Hills Hotel beforehand ..... both really pumped for thisFFA Cup game & the potential for the season to come.

cue the 'CCM v Blacktown City' game ......

We got got a lift home with 'FFC Mariner' & 'Serious'
........ Pete sat in pretty much silence the whole trip home.

Sum's up the match review quite succintly, me thinks.

Good to catch up mate.
Just had no words after that. Was really looking forward to a good cup run. Gutted.
Not writing everything off yet, but that was a hard one to take with the expectation and anticipation leading up to it.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
so...who amomg us thinks that the HAL and lower leagues should be aligned...I cant think of another country with a Cup contest were there is such a disparity of season starts ( does that make sense)...I think we either move to winter/spring or everybody else plays in summer,..so what if the knuckle draggers and paddock wrestlers have to share their grounds during their seasons F***K Em

Ancient Mariner

so...who amomg us thinks that the HAL and lower leagues should be aligned...I cant think of another country with a Cup contest were there is such a disparity of season starts ( does that make sense)...I think we either move to winter/spring or everybody else plays in summer,..so what if the knuckle draggers and paddock wrestlers have to share their grounds during their seasons F***K Em

I wouldn't mind switching back to winter but do not want to play on a ground that had 457 rah rah scrums on it the night before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred