• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2017 FFA Cup Round of 32 vs Blacktown City away.

VicMariner

I hope Asdrubal is a top notch striker because we have nothing going forward. That was the best game Appiah will ever play. (Hope he proves me wrong) and Bingham is still unimpressive.

DDS looked good.

Hiariej looks class.

It looked liked we took our foot of the accelerator when we scored to equal 2-2. WTF did we do that?

Wombat

LOL.
Good man. Im going to bed after letting off some steam!!!!!:mad:
We really should be ashamed as a club losing to state league teams.
Tony got sacked for the same humiliation last year which is interesting.

VicMariner

LOL.
Good man. Im going to bed after letting off some steam!!!!!:mad:
We really should be ashamed as a club losing to state league teams.
Tony got sacked for the same humiliation last year which is interesting.
I half agree but Okon is much better than Walmsley. Lets see what he does with his signings this season. If we go out of the Cup at this stage next year, f**k him off.

Wombat

Im not suggesting we piss him off but he did some stupid things tonight and we paid the price. I just want him to man up and move on.

scottmac

Suspended
at the moment i've got a few stitches , but you and scot are getting blood transfusions .
calm down and breath

I think I was fairly rational and didn't really say too much under blood lust. Roux was absolute shite and not befitting a spot in either team. I'm sorry but that's just fact. Also our pre season is f**ked. Okon started he wanted the competitive games for the squad to gel. It was an important loss. Also just fact. Bingham completely wasted a squad spot. He did nothing at all and wouldn't get on Blacktowns team list but makes ours? I've seen that he's capable but it's time for him to show it at A-league level. Last night was a great opportunity for him and he really missed it.

We copped a tough draw but we still should be winning these games and its not good enough. But like I said there is much to be positive about for the season. So blood transfusion? I dont think so

Ancient Mariner

Lucky I do not own a cat, last night it would have got kicked.

The team at times looked good but also had disgusting lapses and got their arses kicked for it.

This morning I feel that the most disappointing thing is that we will miss some important pre season hit outs.

Being extremely philosophical about it all, last night's team looked like last year's team with a few changes and that is all it was. Add to that the changes are still learning to fit in. Early days.

As to individuals, Hiareij showed enough to make me think he is top class, Baro was good as was Rose. Others showed glimpses but at some times were lost.

Pearce was ordinary and Hoole is definitely not a #10, however his corners were a massive improvement on our past efforts. If you do not play him as a winger he could be a back up striker.

I am still waiting to see Bingers offer anything, hope he proves me wrong but until our Spaniard is ready I would be having a look at Trent as a striker.

I still think Liam is the man to play alongside Baro.

Last night was a glimpse of what could be if we suffer a bad run of injuries or suspensions.

Hopefully some of the ordinary players last night will look better with a bit more class around them or will look better on the pine.

As for Okon, he is clearly a follower of Ange's methods. I am happy with that as long as he does not follow Ange to 3 at the back.

Angry, very frustrated and disappointed that I have to wait til October for our next competitive game but still optimistic though somewhat concerned.

scottmac

Suspended
no , two bloke's over blowing an august problem when the comp starts in october .
I see where you think I've gone over. This is not an August problem. This guy should be at a level above everyone else in the team right now. An international player who went to the Confeds and dishes up that as captian.
Your delusional if you think what he served up last night is ok and to be written off as an August problem. FFS its a competitive match with a trophy at the end without going into the benefits it could provide our pre season having 11 new players.

Tevor

Someone already mentioned this and I agree they played like they did early last year with lots of needless passing trying to keep possession and not much forward movement, I like others was calling for fresh legs at around 70 mins and can not help but think the thought of extra time factored into Okons hesitation to make changes.

Josh played well and has some good combos going already and I'm glad he is back for another season. I was always worried about our front third for this game and to be 2 zip after about 20 minutes I was even more worried where the goals would come from. If Hoolio can work well with the Spaniard then he could notch up a lot of assists this season.

Not angry just disappointed and it would have been good to stay longer in the competition. Now we will have to read all the BS about promotion and relegation again.

Pearce has had his chance and it's now between BK and Gloveman after last night. The commentators last night mentioned how we have a three way battle for our GK. That is now only a two way battle IMO.

localpom

Disappointing. Would have been great for the club to go on a bit of a run and alot of the players look very short of match fitness.....i know it's pre-season but players like Golec and DDS haven't played an awful lot of competetive games in a while. We were unsure at the back and at least 2 of the goals came from errors. McGings clumsy challenge and Pearces awful wall placement.for the first. The 2nd we didn't pick up the runner and the 3rd came from a mistake between Kwabs and McGing i think. The back 4 and GK need some time to gel, and i guess only Storm was with us last season from those 5. We looked totally bereft of ideas up front and really they just took their chances beautifully whereas we controlled possession without creating an awful lot. The synthetic pitch obviously gave Bankstown an edge.
Positives? It pre-season and it's pretty much a new side. The new guys do look good and will get alot better. We still have Wout Brahma, DDS, Asdrub's, Glover... to come in. Losing has put us back as potential wooden spooners so will help us confound the critics. There were no injuries.

Last night absolutely highlighted the lack of a number 10 and a potent striker. Hopefully DDS and Asdrub's will do the business.I still think we need another creative player to come in (Carrusca please) because if DDS and the Spaniard don't we will struggle. We have pace and hard working players but that isn't enough.

I'm not concerned about the defence, we have the players it's just getting them all working together, and picking the best guys for the job.Having Tommy H and Brahma together will make a huge difference and Baro looks good.
Still hugely excited for the season, we will go well. Last night though still shows there is a massive amount to do and will challenge Paulo to get it right in the next 2 months.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
O.K, lets see, bottom line is that BCFC had four of their guns out and beat us,
that nitwit ref was a blight, and thoroughly anti A League
I got no idea why Gaffer has a bench he rarely uses the fkn thing, I have to think that he was waiting for extra time to use the subs, at least i hope so.....and its finally time to sack that fkn idiot Nash, he proved last night that it wasnt Izzo that set the walls wrong, it was who taught him....
Bingham is a roadblock
Golec was intermittent
Pearce is a great Yoof keeper
HupTommyHup is gonna be immense, wait till him and Wout hook up
Rose the Elder, great to see him back he had a pretty good game, needs the captains armband
Hoolio was alright, needs some improving , but who dont after last night (well, Tommy dont)
Baro done what he needed to
McGing...Mcf**khimoff
Pain got better late in the game
Kwabi was in headless chook mode as usual, but he did score all the goal
Roux was useless and has been pretty much since the accident at MCFC, not a captains arsehole
DDS, Budgie, et all...shouldnt have bothered taking off their trackie daks
I hope Okons got a striker lineup

scottmac

Suspended
Yeah true but he can't be relied upon solely to finish in the final third. Our next highest scorer needs to be around the 8 - 10 mark (assuming Asdurbal scores more than that) and I dont see that happening with what we've got.

Timmah

I know I'm the eternal optimist but I look at last night and see a bunch of fairly obvious reasons we struggled.
  • the pitch - Blacktown play on artificial surfaces every second week at a minimum, if not more. We got one go at North Turra during the week before taking to Lily's last night.
  • season - Blacktown are in the guts of their NPL season, they're 1st. It was our first competitive game ffs
  • signings - we had no Brama, no Asdrubal and no Glover. Three keys IMO.
  • Okon's decision making - the subs decision was bizarre and I can only assume Glover is still building up to full fitness hence him not being used last night.
As for it ruining our pre-season or being a precursor to another shit A-League campaign I can't agree. We will no doubt have plenty of opportunities to cut our teeth between now and October and not based on a random draw. Yeah it sucks to be knocked out but I didn't see last night as a total write off - plenty of promising signs along with some obvious deficiencies that need addressing.

Gratis

Central Coast coach Paul Okon says FFA Cup shock exit against Blacktown City won't derail Mariners
Coach Paul Okon is certain Central Coast's shock FFA Cup exit won't derail an otherwise promising A-League pre-season.

For the second year running the Mariners' cup campaign ended before it began on Wednesday night, this time at the hands of NSW NPL leaders Blacktown City.

Though the Gosford side did not play poorly, three cheap goals to Blacktown ensured the round-of-32 boilover, and simultaneously snapped their pre-season record of zero losses and zero goals conceded in the preceding four games.

It took former A-League striker Joey Gibbs all of two minutes to secure Blacktown's lead via a free-kick, before Giorgio Speranza put a second past Mariners goalkeeper Adam Pearce as Tom Glover, the new gloveman on loan from Tottenham, watched from the bench.

Kwabena Appiah netted either side of halftime to restore parity, but Gibbs completed his own brace to seal the 3-2 result, with eight minutes remaining.

Last year, Central Coast's round-of-32 loss to Green Gully directly prompted the sacking of then-coach Tony Walmsley.

Twelve months later, Walmsley's successor was unperturbed by the repeat result.

"We were excellent," a calm Okon said.

"They had a plan to sit back and take whatever chances came their way, from us losing the ball or trying to force things.

"We hadn't conceded up until tonight, that's the real disappointing thing about the three goals we gave away.

"We did enough in the 90 minutes to win the game quite comfortably so that's an area we'll definitely be working on.

"The positive thing for us is there's a few gears we can step it up."

Okon felt the unfamiliar synthetic surface at Lilys Football Centre had levelled the contest, and insisted the Mariners were a class above their NPL vanquishers.

"There's a massive gap, we saw that with the way we controlled the game and moved the ball," he said.

"They struggled to get near us, and their three goals weren't scored because they outplayed us or did something - they were goals we gave them.

"If we had not played the way we did then maybe there would be some concern, but I don't think we did too much wrong."

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/03/02/19/ffa-cup-exit-won-t-derail-mariners-okon

Coach

I thought Okon's comments last year, after round 1 Sydney were delusional, but his interview with Channel 7 last night will take some beating, point form summary of the interview;
  • We were excellent," a calm Okon said.

• "They had a plan to sit back and take whatever chances came their way, from us losing the ball or trying to force things.

• "We hadn't conceded up until tonight, that's the real disappointing thing about the three goals we gave away.

• "We did enough in the 90 minutes to win the game quite comfortably so that's an area we'll definitely be working on.

• "The positive thing for us is there's a few gears we can step it up."

• Okon felt the unfamiliar synthetic surface at Lilys Football Centre had levelled the contest, and insisted the Mariners were a class above their NPL vanquishers.

• "There's a massive gap, we saw that with the way we controlled the game and moved the ball," he said.

• "They struggled to get near us, and their three goals weren't scored because they outplayed us or did something - they were goals we gave them.

• "If we had not played the way we did then maybe there would be some concern, but I don't think we did too much wrong."

scottmac

Suspended
I thought Okon's comments last year, after round 1 Sydney were delusional, but his interview with Channel 7 last night will take some beating, point form summary of the interview;
  • We were excellent," a calm Okon said.

• "They had a plan to sit back and take whatever chances came their way, from us losing the ball or trying to force things.

• "We hadn't conceded up until tonight, that's the real disappointing thing about the three goals we gave away.

• "We did enough in the 90 minutes to win the game quite comfortably so that's an area we'll definitely be working on.

• "The positive thing for us is there's a few gears we can step it up."

• Okon felt the unfamiliar synthetic surface at Lilys Football Centre had levelled the contest, and insisted the Mariners were a class above their NPL vanquishers.

• "There's a massive gap, we saw that with the way we controlled the game and moved the ball," he said.

• "They struggled to get near us, and their three goals weren't scored because they outplayed us or did something - they were goals we gave them.

• "If we had not played the way we did then maybe there would be some concern, but I don't think we did too much wrong."
There is nothing wrong with that interview. I agree with everything he said. We did play much better than them. We should have won. There was a massive gulf in class between the 2 sides. We have many more gears to engage. The surface looked faster than the boys were used to. Blacktown flooded the midfield and broke fast when we turned it over.

I dont see anything delusional there. He didn't crucify Pearce which is smart. He didn't do anything he shouldn't have. I think he could maybe be disappointed with the urgency after the equaliser and the lack of leadership shown by the captian.

Rowdy

Great trip down on train with 'Pete', non-stop talking Football, beers @ the Seven Hills Hotel beforehand ..... both really pumped for thisFFA Cup game & the potential for the season to come.

cue the 'CCM v Blacktown City' game ......

We got got a lift home with 'FFC Mariner' & 'Serious'
........ Pete sat in pretty much silence the whole trip home.

Sum's up the match review quite succintly, me thinks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred