• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2016/17 Other A-League Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Phoenix

Dutchy was signed as a 35 year old I think and still played for a few years. I think there are some players whose class means they can still be very valuable at the older age, especially if they are still playing at a high level.

An example would be Xabi Alonso, while he is retiring from the Bundesliga this year is the type of player I would love someone in Australia to convince to play another couple of years. A World Cup winner, twice European Champion, twice Champions League winner and a La Liga Champion and still playing regularly at league leading Bayern Munich in one of the leading leagues in the world.

Yep, agreed, not making an argument that you can't have older players who offer tremendous value.

There are some obvious considerations and caveats that arise with signing players in their mid thirties, but ability to perform out ranks everything, regardless of being 16 or 36. But in general I do think getting marquees a litttle younger who are lesser names, like Fornaroli is better as a fan. Maybe not for the media or those more interested in hype than the genuine quality of the football.

With older foreign signings, my only real issue besides over spending on people who simply cannot perform, the Jardells etc, is if it's at the expense of developing young Australian talent.

Not convinced the 'big' clubs give a shit about this. Which from multiple perspectives is entirely understandable. But it depends on your preferences. Personally if say a youth quota was brought in, must have two starting players under 21 or some such, or subsidies for clubs to incentivise teams playing young Australian talent, I'd prefer that even if it meant teams became a little more mistake prone and it impacted the level of performances sometimes. Though I think there's an argument it can make for just as good entertainment.

But as ever, old young, it's about balance isn't it. I want to win games. But I shudder to think of players like Matty Ryan or Trent or Liam Rose not getting their chance to reach their full potential.

Last edited:

Pirate Pete

Well MCFC are certainly helping the Phoenix goal difference.
icon_lol.gif

Pirate Pete

I didn't see all the game but it was a bit like watching the Mariners last year.
The first goal, lucky deflection in off a defender. Fourth goal, I think,
they just couldn't clear it. Defenders looked like they had clown shoes on.

Big Al

Arnies press conference should be good.
icon_mad.gif

Shame really, I feel a bit cheated. If only FC had won. We could have put an end to the unbeaten run.
Think he will be fine they played pretty well.

Vederan knew nothing about that save but Danny's was a great reflex save.

Clear penalty but as Brosque said they've had plenty go there was this year, they were due

Just pissed it was WSW now that beat them and not us in a few weeks

Tevor

Beath has been rubbish this year, let's heaps of fouls go unpunished for 60 mins then the game turns bad on him and he has to hand 4 yellows out in 12 mins. He is also most reluctant of all ref's to give penalties, however the only clear one was Brosque in injury time I was ok with the other two appeals especially the Nicholls hand ball. Didn't want to see the drive bys win but SFC were due for some bad luck and also thought they were off their game with more miss timed passes etc than you normally see from them and nothing fell their way like Vedrans save which was just keepers luck when you try to be big, those have gone in for SFC all year. Now they get to taste defeat by a ref decision which we have tasted plenty of this year. Good example of the swings and roundabouts of a season.

pjennings

Beath has been rubbish this year, let's heaps of fouls go unpunished for 60 mins then the game turns bad on him and he has to hand 4 yellows out in 12 mins. He is also most reluctant of all ref's to give penalties, however the only clear one was Brosque in injury time I was ok with the other two appeals especially the Nicholls hand ball. Didn't want to see the drive bys win but SFC were due for some bad luck and also thought they were off their game with more miss timed passes etc than you normally see from them and nothing fell their way like Vedrans save which was just keepers luck when you try to be big, those have gone in for SFC all year. Now they get to taste defeat by a ref decision which we have tasted plenty of this year. Good example of the swings and roundabouts of a season.

Bugger swings and roundabouts. I only see it as another poor refereeing error that affects CCMFC detrimentally.;):tinfoilhat::tinfoilhat::tinfoilhat:

dibo

Good. Punt them.

There's really a question as to when WSW get docked points for this shit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred